For Want of a Memory - Cover

For Want of a Memory

Copyright© 2008 by Lubrican

Chapter 31

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 31 - Kris just wanted to get to a quiet place so he could write his next book. He didn't know getting there would involve events that would make him the object of a manhunt led by the governor's wife, steal his memories and bring him together with the woman he'd been looking for all his life.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Heterosexual   Humor   Spanking   Interracial   Oral Sex   Petting   Slow  

Kris knew it was going to be Lola before he even opened the door. It was always Lola. He still hadn't given her a key. He'd told her it was because he only had one and hadn't had time to have another one made.

"I need your credit card," she said, smiling widely.

"Why?" he asked.

"The rings are ready," she said.

It was the last straw.

It got ugly very quickly, as he said there would be no rings and no wedding, no credit card, and no key to his apartment. He thought she might start throwing things, but she didn't. Instead, her face took on a horrible aspect and she shouted, "You can't DO this, you prick! What about the BABY?!"

"Baby?" He was stunned.

"I'm PREGNANT, you son of a bitch!" she screamed. She pulled up her shirt. It didn't show from the outside, but once the skin was bared, there was a discernable bulge there.

Kris felt panic, initially. He couldn't abandon a woman if he'd gotten her pregnant.

Then, in a flash of insight, he remembered they hadn't been to bed since he'd come back. He'd kept putting her off. Not only that, she was obviously at least two or three months pregnant, if he could actually SEE it. He'd been gone for four months ... longer actually.

"I've been gone for almost four and a half months," he said, his eyes wide.

Lola blinked and then frowned. "You came back two months ago. You don't even remember that?!" Her voice sounded hesitant, rather than irate that he couldn't even remember getting her pregnant.

"Two months ago, I was in Connecticut," he said. "I was writing a book. I never came back here until a week ago last Monday."

"Of course you did," she said, looking scared for the first time. "We had sex. You got me pregnant."

"You bitch!" He turned around and walked away from her, because he knew that if he could reach her, he'd punch her out. "Get out."

"Noooo!" she wailed. "You were gone! I didn't know where you went. I couldn't find you. I tried to, but nobody would help me. And I got lonely. I didn't know if you'd EVER come back! It was only once ... I swear! And it wouldn't have happened if you'd told me you were a real author and that you were going away to write a book. This is all YOUR fault! You can't DO THIS TO ME!"

He turned around. "I didn't press charges against you for breaking into my apartment. If you're not gone in ten seconds, I'm going to do exactly that. You can have your fucking baby in PRISON for all I care!"

"Noooooo," she whined. "He's married. I can't go to him. I love you. You love me. We were going to get married," she moaned.

"Ten ... nine ... eight ... seven..." Kris intoned, looking at his wrist. The effect was somewhat diminished by the fact that he wasn't wearing his watch at the moment. He got to three before she wailed and ran back out the door.

He felt only sadness as he closed it after her.


What brought Kris out of his doldrums, or at least lifted his spirit somewhat, was a phone call from a man who announced he was Mr. Templeton, from Miffen and Combs. Kris recognized the voice of the man Lola had taken him to see.

"We sent your romance novel to a group of test readers. We just got the results back and they all have glowing things to say about it. We feel even better about it now than we did before," said Templeton. "I need you to come down so we can negotiate about the price."

"Certainly," said Kris, feeling hope and happiness for the first time in a long time.

He was less happy when he got there and Templeton handed him a check, beaming widely.

Kris took the check and looked at it. It seemed like it wasn't much money, and he wondered immediately how he could survive on an author's income.

"I thought we were going to negotiate," said Kris.

"This is a first book for you, in this genre," said Templeton. "If it does well, and you write more of this kind of book, I'm sure your compensation will increase." He smiled. "We're taking a chance on this." He fussed with things on his desk and then slid a piece of paper across it toward Kris. "Just sign here," said Templeton.

Kris remembered that Templeton had said something about an advance for the Kangaroo Pounder book. He still hadn't been to the bank yet, to find out what his account looked like, but he knew he'd paid for six months rent on Chastain's lake house in advance.

"How much was that advance you gave me before?" he asked. He watched wariness come into Templeton's eyes.

"That has nothing to do with this book," he said.

"Then I'll take this book to another publisher and sell it there. Perhaps I can start paying you back that advance that way," said Kris.

"There's no need to be hasty," said Templeton.

"How much do I owe you?" asked Kris.

Templeton thought he was being clever by giving Stevens the figure. He thought it would cow the man.

"And you're only offering me a tenth of that for this book?" asked Kris.

"Well..." said Templeton uncomfortably. "You've never written anything like this before. We don't know how it will be received. We can't offer you full price for something untried, now can we?"

Kris stood up and held out his hand. "I think I'll shop around a bit."

"You're in default on our agreement," said Templeton. "It would be a shame if we had to sue one of our best authors."

"If you're willing to threaten to sue one of your best authors over something like this," said Kris, "then I don't want to publish with you. I lost my memory, not my mind. I think our negotiations are at an end."

"Sit down ... please." Templeton was sweating now. "Look. My boss said I had to drive a hard bargain, OK? These are very irregular circumstances."

Kris sat, still holding the check. "OK. I don't remember anything about negotiating this kind of thing, but I know how I feel. You pay me what you think is fair for this book. We'll see how it does. If it hits the bestseller list, like my other books did, and I find out you short changed me, it's the last book I'll ever publish here. I've been through hell lately and the last thing I want to deal with is a publishing house that's going to rip me off."

"We're concerned about your ... output," said Templeton weakly.

"I owe you a book that will recoup the advance," said Kris. "Either I'm good or not. I don't know how much my memory loss will affect things, but you seemed interested in what I DID write after that happened. I'll write you your book, and if it doesn't cover the advance, then I'll pay it back. That's all I can offer. But I DON'T have to accept less than my work is worth."

Templeton stared at him for another fifteen seconds and then stood up. "Give me a minute," he said. He didn't wait for an answer. He just left the room. He was back in ten minutes, with another check in his hand. He reached for the one Kris was holding and replaced it. It was a sum that staggered Kris' mind.

"This is for the romance novel, free and clear," Templeton said. "If we do better than usual, we get the profits and you get no additional royalties. If it tanks, we take the loss. But you still owe us the original book and we're interested in the other idea you had, about this whole mess you got yourself into." He sat down, still sweating. "Deal?"

Kris stared at the check and swallowed. He didn't know if he'd ever been confrontational before the accident, but he was a sudden and enthusiastic adherent of haggling now, and would be for the rest of his life. He stood, offered his hand, shook Templeton's, and left without saying another word.

"I'll call you when we have the paperwork ready!" was the last thing he heard the man say.


"I'm SORRY!" moaned Jessica to her best friend.

"You don't have to be sorry," said Lulu. "Why would you be sorry to find a man and fall in love with him?" She looked tired. "Even if it is Mitch Connel," she added.

"But it's not fair!" moaned Jessica. "I mean you lost..." She couldn't finish that thought. Just the mention of Kris' name would cause pain.

"So," said Lulu, trying to ignore the unspoken name. "How did all this happen?"

"I don't KNOW," wailed Jessica. "We were out looking for ... him ... and we were talking, and the next thing I knew I was on TOP of him!"

"Did you at least use protection?" Lulu took protection very seriously.

"I didn't know it was going to happen!" moaned Jess. "I didn't PLAN for it to happen. It never even occurred to me it MIGHT happen."

"You've thought he was cute for years," said Lulu.

"OK, you're right, but I never thought he'd be interested in ME. I just don't understand."

Lulu smiled a tired smile. "I think it's funny that, after all these years, you lost your virginity in a car, to the cop who sneaks around trying to catch kids making out in cars."

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.