Second Chance - Cover

Second Chance

Copyright© 2008 by Coaster2

Chapter 20

A great deal had happened in the three years that the Gordon family had lived in Castlegar. Andrea, now twenty, was finishing her second year at Selkirk College and would be moving on. She had decided on the University of Lethbridge and would enroll in the Commerce Faculty. She hadn't shared her ambitions with her father yet, but she secretly hoped to work in her father's company. She could see the growth and the resulting success, but just a much, she loved the products they manufactured.

Almost as importantly, she liked the people, especially the handsome, dark-haired nephew of Charlie Verano, Sam Fiorento. She and Sam had shared several classes together at Selkirk College, and he was going on to the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology in Calgary to study operations management. They both had the same goal, be a part of Verano Custom Millwork in their adopted hometown. Her current dream was a "partnership" with Sam and V.C.M.

Scott, now seventeen, had obtained his long sought-after drivers license, and as a reward for obtaining a B average in his schoolwork, his father bought him a used, mid-sized pickup truck for transportation. Brent remembered the day a year or so ago when he was on his way through town and spotted Scott walking hand in hand with Tanya Dubrinski, Ludmilla's comely daughter. He had a smile on his face as did she. They were a handsome couple, he thought. He never mentioned it to Scott, but later quizzed Andrea and learned that the two had been "going steady" for a few weeks. He was about to say something about having a talk with Scott, when he recognized it was too late. They weren't children any more, they were nearly adults.

Brent recalled a conversation with Ludmilla a few weeks earlier when he had arrived home in the early afternoon from a road trip, and the stocky woman was still there cleaning bathrooms.

"Mr. Gordon, I can talk to you? About Scott and my Tanya?" she asked as she finished her work.

"Of course," Brent replied.

"Scott is goink to Selkirk College next year, yah?" she asked in her thick Russian accent.

"Yes, that's what he's decided," he answered, thinking he knew where this conversation was going.

"My Tanya ... she goes too," she stated emphatically. "Petr say it waste of money, foolish! I don't think so! What you think?" she asked.

"Well, times have changed, Ludmilla. Many young woman want a career, even when they are married," he replied.

"Yah, but Petr say she get married soon, and have babies and stay home. He is old man in head," she stated emphatically.

Brent laughed. He couldn't help it. "I'm sorry. I'm sure it isn't funny, but you know, old family values are hard to overcome. If that's the way it was when you and Petr were married, then he probably thinks that's the way it should be for Tanya," he explained.

"Yah ... he is old man in head!" she repeated. "I new-age woman!" she said, then turned to me and laughed.

"Yup ... I can see that," he grinned.

"You know Scott and Tanya good friends?" she asked, turning serious again.

"Yes, I found out a while ago. Andrea says they are 'going steady.'"

"Yah ... he is good boy. He will be good for Tanya. She will follow him," she said directly.

"What do you mean?" Brent asked.

"He is not fool. He wants education first, married second. He treat Tanya right," she said, nodding her conviction.

"I hope so, Ludmilla. I'd be very disappointed if he didn't treat Tanya like a lady," he said.

"My Tanya, she is young. Not so ... smart with boys yet," she said with a worried look. "Scott is good for her. He's not let her do foolish things." She was nodding her head with conviction.

"I'm very glad to hear that Ludmilla. He is growing up fast. He was very hurt when he lost his mother," Brent said, reflectively.

"Yah ... very sad. But, he's OK now. I talk to him. He's OK," she said, nodding again.


The spring home show in Calgary was upon them, and Brent had been preparing the team for the grueling four days ahead. Along with local rep, Chuck Duguid, Edmonton rep, Scott Hurst, Charlie, and himself, they would have two women hired as greeters and who would be responsible for making sure the visitors to the booth were looked after and steered in the right direction. Compressing these shows into three and four day events had intensified the crowds, and the most frustrating thing for a visitor was to have questions go unanswered because the staff was busy with other people. It was a chronic problem for all the major booths, but Brent and Charlie had learned to lessen the pressure with a couple of attractive women, usually of middle age, who could handle the simple things.

The two women arrived an hour before the show opened on Thursday afternoon. They introduced themselves as Myra Tompkins and Bonnie Simpson. Brent and Charlie looked them over and approved. They were attractive without being models or sex objects. They were dressed conservatively and yet there was no mistaking that they were good looking women. Brent reminded himself to thank the agency for following his instructions to the letter.

Brent briefed the two women on the product line and the company. He was surprised when Bonnie asked a number of pertinent questions about the products.

"Can you make any size?" she asked.

"Almost. There are standard sizes, and they are all listed in the catalogues for each type. However, we can make any size in between our smallest listed and our largest in two inch increments, so it's almost any size. They're special order of course, but it's very important in the renovation part of our business," he said.

"What about those big front windows you see in the really fancy homes these days?" she continued.

"Yes. Those are called window walls, and we can do pretty much anything the customer wants, provided it's structurally sound ... and the customer has the money," he grinned.

She was genuinely interested, Brent thought, as she openly admired the workmanship and design of the samples on display. Brent smiled and nodded in satisfaction. She would do just fine, he thought. She was paying attention.

Myra, on the other hand, was more of a social coordinator. She could manage the crowds and keep things moving. She had a lively disposition and no shortage of self-confidence. All-in-all, these two will do well if they have the endurance to last the four days, Brent thought.

By Thursday evening, Brent was convinced they would have a good show. The guys were well-prepared and with the lightest of the crowds on Thursday, they had plenty of time to practice their presentations, and more importantly, to qualify the customers. Were they "tire-kickers," or were they genuinely in the market to buy? It was an acquired skill that came with experience, and not every salesperson grasped it.

Myra had done a great job of bringing people into the booth, but it was Bonnie who caught Brent's attention. At one point, when the booth was crowded with people, he looked around and saw her demonstrating the newest kitchen corner-cabinet hardware to a potential customer. She had it down perfectly, and the wife of the couple was nodding approvingly. "Nicely done Bonnie, that's just who we were trying to capture," he thought.

The only no-traffic time in the booth was the hour before opening. Thursday was occupied with orientation and training the ladies. Friday gave them a few minutes to relax and talk to each other. As they had on Thursday, Myra and Bonnie arrived almost an hour early, this time bearing gifts; coffee and donuts. As they stood by the kitchen counter display, Brent had a chance to talk to Bonnie for a few minutes.

"I saw you handling that couple in the Heritage Kitchen display last night. I was impressed. Well done!" he smiled.

Bonnie Simpson blushed at the compliment. "Thanks. I love that design. I wish I had it in my house," she replied.

"Well, no reason you can't. Maybe your husband can install it and save a bunch of money," he suggested.

"Ah ... no ... I'm on my own and I don't have those kinds of skills. I'll just have to be patient and save my pennies. It's such beautiful workmanship. Everything here is truly wonderful. You must be very proud to represent this company."

"Thank you. Yes I am. I consider myself very lucky to work for Charlie."

"Do you have these cabinets and windows in your house?" she asked.

"I have the casement windows, but I haven't replaced the kitchen cabinets yet. That's on the list for the future."

"Oh, I'm surprised. Usually the wife decides on the kitchen first, and then the other places," she chided.

"Well ... like you ... I'm on my own. The house is fairly new and I don't spend much time in the kitchen, so I guess my choice was predictable," he grinned.

"Ah ... I'm sorry ... I didn't think when I said that."

"It's OK. When my wife died three years ago, we moved up to Castlegar, and it's been a great new life for us," he said without hesitation.

"Oh ... I'm so sorry. Do you have children to look after as well?"

"My daughter is getting ready to head for Lethbridge University this fall, and my son will be graduating from high school this spring. I think he'll hang around home and go to Selkirk College for a couple of years.

"Do you have children?" he asked.

"Yes, I have a son. He's fifteen and just starting to assert his independence. I could use some tips on handling him, if you've got any," she chuckled.

"Well, to be honest, my daughter Andrea kept Scott in line at that age. I think the loss of his mother tempered a lot of the rebelliousness he might have felt. We all grew closer together in the past three years, and I guess that saved me from the kinds of problems I otherwise might have faced."

Bonnie nodded her understanding. It must have been difficult for him, she thought. He handled it well and he seemed to be a well-balanced man, the kind of man she was attracted to. She smiled at him involuntarily as she exposed her thoughts. The smile was returned and she looked away to see what was going on in the other parts of the big booth.

As she walked away, Brent thought just how striking she was. Not an exotic beauty, but a mature, elegant and clearly bright lady. She had curly shoulder-length dark blonde hair, and her face featured a wide, slim mouth and pale blue eyes that sparkled in the light. She had one of those classic Roman noses that he thought added to her unusually attractive face. She was a large woman, easily five foot ten inches and blessed with a voluptuous body that only enhanced her appeal. It struck Brent that she did not look anything like Jeanette in any respect. He had her business card, and it was safely tucked away in his wallet.

The women proved to be equal to the task of enduring the four long days on their feet. Brent had set up a schedule for the booth that gave each of them some time off to sit and relax in the exhibitor area. The only person not on the schedule was Charlie, who would freelance the show, schmoozing with both suppliers and competitors alike. He was there to see what was going on in the industry. What were the new trends and where were the customers spending their time. He would work the booth, but on his own schedule, which was random and unpredictable.

By Saturday evening, the fatigue was beginning to show. There would be a short day on Sunday, beginning at noon and ending at five in the afternoon. Brent would stay behind to supervise the tear-down and packing of the displays. They had too much money tied up in the units to allow a careless worker to damage the goods. They would be returned to Castlegar, examined for any marks, scars or dings, and after clean-up, would be stored for the next show, six months distant in October.

Bonnie approached Brent at nine Saturday evening and waited until he had finished with a potential customer.

"Some of us are going over to the Palliser for a drink after the show closes. I think we've earned one," she suggested with a smile.

"You certainly have. That sounds like a great idea, especially since I'm staying at the Palliser," he grinned. "Only one stipulation, though. No one drives home. I'll look after the cab fare for you and Myra, including tomorrow, understood?" he stated emphatically.

"Understood," she smiled. "I guess that means I can have a second drink and not worry then," she said, arching an eyebrow.

"I guess it does," he laughed. He looked at his watch and saw that they would be closing in less than an hour. He would look forward to a bit of socializing with this group. They were good people and they had worked hard. All he had to do now was let Charlie know what the plan was. The entire crew except Chuck and the girls were staying at the Palliser, the elegant old landmark hotel located just a couple of blocks from the show building.

At 10:20, the group of six slid into a big, high-backed booth in the Palliser Bar and was almost immediately approached by a waiter. The first round of drinks arrived and Brent felt himself relax as the banter around the table developed. He was seated between Bonnie and Chuck and although tired, he was enjoying time with the group. As he leaned back against the booth, he found himself staring at Bonnie, and more particularly, at her face and hair. He found his mind wandering, and he lost contact with the conversation at the table.

At some point, Bonnie also leaned back and Brent became aware of her fragrance, a mix of some light perfume and that special female scent that had once been so familiar. His right arm was resting on the top of the back of the booth and Bonnie was leaning back within inches of his arm. She turned to him and smiled as something in the conversation was directed at him.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.