Athena Hollis - Cover

Athena Hollis

Copyright© 2008 by Monbade

Chapter 11: Scragger

"Who dares to interrupt my sleep?" said a voice from the darkness.

Athena turned and raised the staff up into the air. "I dare by accident oh mighty one. We would pass through without harm to you or us," Athena said.

The bones sitting on the thrown and scattered around the base of the chair floated up to reform the skeleton of a tall warrior. He stood up and was easily seven feet tall. The bones started to screech as it moved towards them. The sound was as if a squeeky hinge was closing, but by the time it had taken five steps, it was walking smoothly. Clutched in its left arm was a massive body shield. In its right, a sword that would normally ben used as a two handed sword in mounted combat.

Athena lowered the tip of the staff and prepared to use it as her companions separated, pulling their swords out. "Don't come closer!" Athena snapped out.

The skeleton stopped five feet from them and looked down on them. They could hear what sound of its breathing from its nose cavity as its glowing red eyes looked at them. Athena watched it wearily and was shocked when she saw an image form over its skull. It took a deep breath, and she saw the mist flow into the nose until it was gone.

"High mage of Nightmaster I see you. What will you give me for coming into my home and trespassing through my gates," it said with an evil hissing.

Athena cocked her head and looked at the skeleton and then started laughing as she looked around. "Ok, show yourself. Your illusion is very good, but it doesn't fool me anymore," she said with a laugh.

Dancer and Silver glanced at each other. They could sense the evil from the room; their hairs on the backs of their necks were standing up as they watched the skeleton.

"What are you doing my pet? It is quite real," Silver said with his rapier in his hand.

Athena laughed, and it was like music as she reached out with her staff and touched the sword tip. There was a loud pop, and it vanished. "See, I said it was an illusion."

"Ahhh but I am not an illusion my dear," said a voice to their right side.

The companions turned and saw a diamond skull about twenty feet away from them. It was floating six feet off the ground, its eyes were glowing red, and its teeth were red and white of diamond and ruby. In its nostrils were two amethysts, while in its ear sockets were two black diamonds.

"Yes this is what I look like. Now, what are you going to give me. You have a very simple choice of magic or a life. Give neither and I take all."

"I don't understand on your magic, but I know we won't give you a life," Athena replied as the skull turned towards them as they moved.

"Then give me the staff!" the skull said and the teeth started glowing, first a red then a black.

"No!" Athena replied.

"Then give me the life! For those are my terms," it said as it floated up higher into the air until it was twenty feet above them.

"We choose neither," Athena said and lowered the staff. A greenish-blue bolt of lightning shot from the dragon head and hit the skull as it floated towards them.

The skull blew apart as the disintegration spell hit it and laughter came from all around them as more skulls floated up into the air. The skulls were human, animal, dragon, orc, and many others. All were either damaged or whole in appearance. They backed away and as Athena held the staff in front of her, her companions wielded their swords around to deflect any that came near them.

"Give me magic or life, the choice is yours to make," the voice snarled out and another head floated up into the air. The skull was like the first and came towards them. As it came towards them, the other skulls flew at them, hitting each of the companions in turn, and then they surrounded them.

"You want magic? You want life?" Athena shouted at the skull as Silver gasped out in pain. Athena's head whipped around and she saw him pulling a small skull from his arm. It was the head of a horned toad and the horn had pierced his bicep.

"Are you ok?" Athena asked.

"I'll live my pet, deal with the creature," Silver replied as he swung his sword and sliced an orc skull in half.

Athena whirled in anger. Looking at the skull that had reformed, she snarled out, "You injured my friend. You will pay for that."

It laughed at them and twin bolts of energy shot from its eyes and hit Silver and Dancer. They flew backwards and landed in piles of treasure. Gold and precious gems went flying as a Dancer landed on the edge of a gold platter that had been piled with the treasure. Silver slammed into several suits of plate armor that were standing together. As they crumbled, bone dust flew out of the pile and Silver started sneezing as it covered him.

With a quick glance over her shoulder Athena lifted her staff again and a bolt of blackness shot from the staff and dissipated before it could hit the skull, and it started laughing at her attempt.

"Fool! You cannot use the death spell on the dead! But I can use it on you!" the skull said in its laughing voice. One of the ruby teeth glowed and the black beam shot from the tooth towards Athena.

Athena dropped and rolled to her left. Climbing to her feet she raised the staff as the spell of death came at her. Suddenly, she felt dizzy and energy poured into her as the staff sucked the spell into the crystal.

"No! That's not possible," the skull cried out and then two more of the teeth started glowing.

"Anything is possible for the God of Magic's might staff. Now come, let's finish this dance!" Athena said and lunged forward with the staff over her head. The staff came down and smacked the skull's head. With a bright energy flare, the magic flowed from the staff into the crystal skull which started glowing. First it was a pale yellow glow that soon blossomed into a reddish hue. As it grew, it went to white and lit the chamber up until Athena had to turn away of go blind from the glare.

"NO!!!!!!!!!!! You ruined me!" a voice screamed from the glow.

Athena turned to look to where the voice came from and when it faded, she stood in shock as she looked at a scrawny naked boy about thirteen years old. His eyes were darting everywhere as he looked for an escape route. Turning, he scrambled over a large pile of coins before anyone could take their first step.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.