Earth's Pain Book I - Justin's Story
Chapter 5: Rebecca wins

Copyright© 2008 by Fogster73

"Had a nice boring drive I see," I said handing Rebecca the printout.

She read the printout and sighed. "It would have taken someone at the office days to find this person, if they could do it at all."

"Well we like to be efficient; we are also going to start our own Agency. We will probably just help other agencies at first, and then eventually go full tilt."

"Really? Well let me know when you get started. I'm sure I can throw you some jobs, or at least come to you for this type of work," she said.

We went into the living room and Jack's camper was back up on the screen. We chatted about the security person I had coming tomorrow, and about the Agency. I decided to call and have pizza delivered for dinner; everyone liked that idea. I showed everyone the new com unit I had made and walked them through all the functions. I should have been more careful; I guess I wanted to show off a bit but Rebecca was getting suspicious. We watched Jack for a while, but he was not doing anything interesting.

"Patricia, do you know how long Jack and Melissa were going to be camping?" Rebecca asked.

"They weren't sure, but probably a week or two," Pat said.

"Damn this is going to be a long assignment."

"You know you're more than welcome to stay here. We have a few extra rooms; you can get this feed in the bedroom."

"Umm thanks for the offer, but --," she started to say but Pat cut her off.

"Don't even think about it, it's no trouble at all. We can make a deal; when you're in the area stay whenever you like. In return you help us out with our Agency when we get it running. We are going to have a lot to learn and you can help, when you're not busy."

"Ok it's a deal. I have a vacation coming up so I will have time to help you out and this is a great place for a vacation."

A bit later the pizza arrived and we all pigged out and sat around chatting until it was late. About 10:00 we all decided to get some sleep; I told Rebecca the computer would wake her if there was any activity with Melissa or Jack.

"Ya Justin we're going to need to chat about this computer of yours. I have a few questions," Rebecca said.

"Ya I figured. Let's just get to know each a little better first, let's get some more trust going, and then I'll fill you in," I said and smiled. With that I jumped in the shower then got some sleep.

I was up early the next morning, made waffles for breakfast, and then turned on the news; I guess I needed to keep in touch with the outside world. But I found the same stuff going on as usual: death, destruction and hatred. I had just finished up with my coffee when Gloria arrived. She had a quick bite to eat then headed home to take care of business. I put the rest of breakfast in the warmer and went for my morning run; I made my two laps then went in for a shower. Then I headed to the kitchen for more coffee.

"Good morning ladies. I see everyone is awake. How did you sleep Rebecca? Better than your car I hope."

"Ya sure did; I wish all my assignments were like this."

"Well who knows what the future holds, they could end up even better," I said smiling.

It was about 11:15 when Kristy told me Jessica's charter had just landed at the airport. "Ok ladies we will have company in an hour or so," I said. Pat suggested cooking steaks on the grill, so I started it up and threw on five steaks and five potatoes. I was cooking on the grill when the computer chimed; Pat got up and said she would take care of our guest. I kept working on the steaks until there were about done then moved them off to the side and yelled the food was almost ready. Everyone came out of the house then and lined up for their food; Pat and Jessica were at the end of the line still talking. After everyone was served they sat down and I introduced myself.

"Jessica I'm glad to meet you; I see you have already met everyone else."

"Yes Patricia introduced me to everyone but the cook; she also gave me a small tour."

"Ah well that's nice; so what do you think so far?"

"Let's see. You want me to move up here to paradise with you and protect you and your friends from any threats?"

"Yep that's pretty much it. We will be starting a Private Detective Agency in the near future and you may help out a bit with that, if you want. Anything else you will be asked to do will be optional; your main job is security."

"Where would I be staying?"

"Depends on how soon you can start, we will be building another house on the property. Until that is finished you can have one of the spare rooms in our house. You may decide if you wish just to stay with us, it's up to you."

We talked about all the arrangements and the generous pay; we gave her some information on Rebecca and what she was doing.

"Why do you feel you need more security?" Jessica asked.

"Well part of it is going to be the Agency we will be starting. I have also been doing work in Electronic Engineering, and I want it protected as well. I have also started working in the programming field and want that protected. There are a few other reasons we will talk about if you join us, but we are not in trouble with the US government or anything."

"Oh I checked up on you before I bothered coming up here, just to make sure you were good people. Your brother vouched for you too; I have known him for years. What have you been developing that needs to be protected?" she asked smiling.

"Ok two things mainly, a new type of surveillance and an internet search program that can find out anything about anyone, or almost anyone. We also have come up with a way to access the internet and be totally anonymous."

"Really? You found a way to better spy on people, just like what's been on the monitor since I have been here?"

"That's actually for me," Rebecca said. "It's so I can sit here instead of out there in my car."

"Yes, you are correct Jessica, just like what's on the TV now. That's part of what we need to protect; we will be using things like that a lot when we open our Agency. When we start breaking cases, people are going to want to know how we did it; then we will be the ones being spied on."

"Ok I accept, for a trial basis anyway. I have no commitments back home so I guess I'm all yours, if you will have me."

"Great. Just remember we like our privacy, not from others living with us, but from the outside world. I'll be right back," I said and went into the house to the office. I had Kristy make me another com unit for Jessica's wrist. I checked it over, gave my thanks to Kristy, and went back outside.

"Jessica this is for you. It allows you to communicate with the house security system. First touch the screen with one of your fingers, ok, now put it on your wrist. Just use the touch screen when you want to use it and go through the menu, it has audio and video capabilities as well."

She was playing with the com for a while and then looked up for something, then she played some more and looked up again. "Ok I don't suppose I'm going to get an answer if I ask how this works, am I?"

"Nope, not yet. Someday more than likely we will fill you in."

"I can see my mom's house," Jessica said.

"Yes I'm sure you can, now do you see my need for security?"

"Yes. The government wouldn't settle for the 'I will tell you later' line, and other governments would hunt you down. What else can this thing do?"

"Well it does have a locator beacon in it, and it keeps track of your vitals."

"Well what type of security system do you have, and will you consider upgrades if needed?"

"It's a custom system. I don't think we will need any upgrades, but if we do, yes, that's fine. If you want to come with me I'll introduce you."

We walked into the office and I pulled up the security system on the monitor, then I asked for Kristy to introduce herself.

"Kristy this is Jessica, she will be helping with our security now."

"Hello Jessica, I am at your service. If you need any help or information please just ask. I am currently monitoring the security system and we are secure; I am also indexing several sites on the internet looking for information on Rebecca's case," Kristy said.

"We definitely need to talk more in the near future Justin," Jessica said.

"I understand. As soon as we all get settled we can have a nice long talk and I will explain everything. Until then, feel free to ask the computer most questions. I believe you will find this property totally secure," I said.

"But then why do you need me?" she asked.

"Mainly because some of us are not always on this property; take Rebecca for example, she is just a friend. However her line of work could get her into trouble and I would want to help if needed, that was the first reason we thought about hiring security."

"Well that's very kind of you, but I will expect more information later."

"No problem. I will eventually tell Rebecca everything and Gloria, Patricia's cousin will need to be told as well, so we can consider it a family meeting," I said and smiled. I then walked her out to the side closet and showed her my gun locker. "If you prefer something else just let me know; I can get anything but prefer to keep it legal."

"Legal is not a problem; I have a special weapons license." She said.

"Great, that will alleviate some concerns."

We walked back outside and I took her for a tour of the grounds and the fence line.

"This is sure beautiful up here," she said.

"Yep I love it; pretty quiet too, except when the military choppers fly over. I will never understand why they took over the airport during the war; up here in the mountains, what could it possibly matter? The war has been over for a while now and they're still there; I just don't understand."

"I think the ones in charge just wanted to spread out the forces for some reason; the question is why are they are still there? They don't appear to be going anywhere soon either, they have been stockpiling supplies at most of the airports; not sure why," she said.

"Well maybe that's a mystery to have Kristy look into some time."

"If you start checking into stuff like that I really hope you were right about being anonymous." Jessica then changed the subject, asking, "So what is your relationship with these women if you don't mind me asking?"

"Well I met Patricia on the drive up here; she was with Jack and Melissa then. Then she found out what they wanted and came over to my place to get away from them. Then we were sort of forced together, as in just being together here at the house. That's basically it, since then we hired a maid, Patricia's cousin, and now security."

"Ahh, and the event that forced you together is the cause of all this, right?"

"Yes. We both chose the lesser of two evils and are now stuck with each other, but we seem to get along good. I can tell you she is much happier here than with Jack and Melissa."

Just then our watches beeped, there was a car at the gate and it was opening. "That's Gloria," I said. We walked back up to the front of the house and I introduced the two. Then we helped Gloria haul her stuff into the house and to her room.

"Well Gloria did you get everything taken care of?"

"Yes most everything, I had less to do than I thought. I have been letting everyone know where I'm going so they can visit. I hope that's all right."

"Sure that's great, I love company."

We all found something to eat for dinner and decided to get some sleep. I told Jessica if there were any problems the computer would wake her.

The next day during breakfast Jenny informed me that she found a website with the pool she wanted. We looked it up on the computer and went through all the details; it was a really cool natural pool that looked like a small pond. We just had to find a way to put it indoors, then it hit me — the pool could be underground! Why not? We could just put in some special lighting to imitate the sun, and then we could use it all year long.

"Jenny this is great, however we will need to put it inside so we can use it more often. It will get cold up here in the winter," I said.

I clicked on the link and had them e-mail all the information on the pool, and then I asked Kristy to read it over when it arrived and see if she could build something similar. I then went for my morning run and found Jessica waiting for me. I guess she liked running as well; hmm, maybe it will catch on with everyone. We made five laps; I also noticed what looked like a couple of coyotes on one of the trails outside the fence while we were running. We made it back to the house and both went in for a shower; afterwards I was back on the computer talking to Kristy about the pool. We decided it could go into a basement and we would shape the basement like a cave to go with the pool, we could even add a small waterfall going into the pool.

Then I went to the yellow pages and found a building company that could build us a horse barn and corral. I told them what I wanted, and they said it would be no problem, so we planned a date and they said they would be here. I put the deposit on my credit card over the phone and we were set; they would be here Saturday. I knew Kristy could build the barn and corral, but I thought it would be safer for my neighbors to see a construction crew here once in a while. I finished up on the computer and asked about lunch. I was told Gloria is now on duty and not to worry about it. So I headed back to the office to talk to Kristy. Jessica was already there, going through the security system.

"Good morning Jessica. How did you sleep last night?"

"Very good thanks."

"Kristy, I would like you to look into the matter of the military buildup and why they are taking over the airports; I know what they say but I want to know the truth. Make sure you can't be traced back here please," I said. Jessica just sat there looking at me with her mouth open. I said, "I will explain soon I promise." She turned back to what she was doing and I worked on my helicopter project; I wanted to get these things smaller and more covert. I ended up with an electric model, however it needed a power cell to run and I knew Kristy wouldn't let it off the property. I had her fashion one anyway to check it out; she did so and put it in the closet. I went over and got it out and set it on the desk, then worked the controls from the computer. I got it to hover and rotate ok but it was pretty light and I was sure the wind would make it unstable.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.