Second Son - In The Beginning - Cover

Second Son - In The Beginning

Copyright© 2008 by Stegro88

Chapter 8: 3 Hours Later

"Well Ayla, it seems that you won't be going anywhere in this ship. The hyperdrive is completely fried and will need replacing," Logan said, walking onto the bridge of the transport. He had returned to the Hammer and removed his armour but kept the vest and all his guns.

"That is not the best news but better then any I have heard today. Have you received a message to your communication?" Ayla asked. Logan had sent out a priority subspace message, requesting to know the positions of any House Jacobs or House Rodgers ships in the area.

"Yes, a flight of House Jacobs' Corsair-class Corvettes were on their way to the Tortora space station and have since diverted to rendezvous with us. They will be able to safely escort you, your handmaidens and your captain. They will also tow the ship so it can be repaired for you," Logan explained.

"That is good news, when will they arrive?" Ayla asked, slightly concerned.

"Just over three hours as they are only ten light-years from here," Logan said, picking up on her concern.

"Not much time then to convince you then," Ayla said, standing up.

"Convince me of what?" Logan said, suddenly concerned also.

"I'll be blunt, you need to take Zena with you," Ayla said. She was staring right at Logan, pleading with him.

"No I don't," Logan said emphatically.

"Yes you do. I know your mindset when it comes to slavery, I talked to your sister, but believe me when I say that there is nothing you could do to her that would be worse then what she would face back on Gaia," Ayla said.

"I'm confused; Zena has done nothing to cause her to become a slave. If you mean that little misunderstanding about the rescuing then it's alright, I forgive her," Logan said, hoping that would be the end of the issue.

"That won't do. This ship features surveillance equipment. It would have recorded everything that happened, including her attack on you. You can't wipe the equipment and you can't destroy the ship now that you have reported it intact. The only alternative to a fate worse then death for Zena is for her to go with you on your ship as a slave," Ayla explained. Logan, not wanting to accept this, desperately looked for another option.

"There is no other option," said a voice from behind Logan. Logan turned to find the brunette, Zena, standing there with a bag in both hands. "If I go back to Gaia, or even arrive at Tortora as anything but your slave, my life is finished. You are my only option."

"But you're still a slave," Logan pointed out.

"Yes, but I doubt you will treat me anything like I can expect if I return," Zena said.

"Alright, what are your skills? What training have you had?" Logan asked once he finally realised that there was nothing he could do. Zena allowed herself a small smile while behind Logan, Ayla had a big grin.

"I have received extensive training as a personal groomer, clothing designer as well as in political matters. I have also had large amounts of weapons and tactics training, specialising in stealth work," Zena explained.

"Don't be modest Zena. Logan, she scored the highest marks on the stealth course of anyone that has taken it so far and her marksmanship scores were some of the highest. This girl is a ghost, a deadly ghost," Ayla added.

"Assassin?" Logan asked.

"No, I have never actually killed anyone one. And I hope I never have too," Zena said.

"You were quite willing to kill me today," Logan said and quieted her before she could say anything. "Don't worry; at least we know that you have the capacity to."

"Indeed," Zena said, dropping her head.

"What have you got in the bags," Logan and Ayla asked at the same time.

"This has my clothes in it," Zena said, holding up the larger of the two bags. "And this has my tools, knives and guns in it," she said, holding up the smaller bag.

"What do you use?" Logan asked, wanting to know where she would fit in his crew.

"A pair of 9mm Walther P99s with silencers and a selection of throwing knives. I also carry a hideout Kel-Tec P-32, as you found out, ' Zena said. "The captain took it when he found it on me."

"Nothing of a longer range?" Logan asked out of curiosity.

"No, never had the need," Zena replied honestly. She had a feeling she was about to have the need, or soon would.

"We'll see if we can fix you up with an MP5SD6 and maybe an M40 for the longer stuff. How does that sound to you?" Logan asked.

"Sounds interesting," Zena said honestly.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.