Second Son - In The Beginning - Cover

Second Son - In The Beginning

Copyright© 2008 by Stegro88

Chapter 2: 3 Weeks Later

"So you have decided on a ship and a crew?" Robert asked. Logan was in a meeting with his father and Robert was there also.

"Yes. There is an almost new medium freighter that is for sale. I want to get her and make some modifications and additions to her. That and rename her," Logan stated.

"What modifications did you want to make?" Mathew asked.

"I want to upgrade the power plant and engines. That should almost double the speed. Add a pair of particle beam weapons on the nose and a spread of hidden rail guns at various places on the hull. Armour will be added along with better shields. The insides will be reworked so that I have an armoury in the front of the ship, this will cost some cargo space but not much. A small collection of bots will be added as well. Sensor upgrades to give her better eyes and ears. The living quarters will be made much more comfortable, especially the captain's cabin. Lastly, the bridge will be reworked to better suit her new role as a scout ship," Logan explained.

"Sounds promising, give me the details and I'll have our yards purchase the ship and get started on the modifications immediately. How are your crew selections going? Morgan told you yet?" Mathew asked with a smile.

"Does everyone but me know?" Logan asked.

"Just about," Robert retorted. Logan glared at him and he chuckled in response.

"Besides Morgan and myself, I haven't found anyone yet. Most are good, but I want better if I can get it," Logan described. Mathew considered him for a moment for speaking.

"I'll put the word out to some people I know. If anyone can find the best, they can. In the mean time, your grandfather has determined 3 members for your crew. He will be arriving soon to introduce them too you," Mathew said to his son.

"I'll get started on organising the work crews so that they are ready for your ship when she arrives," Robert said and departed without another word.

"Logan, I want to talk to you about what it will be like out there," Mathew said as he leaned back in his chair. Logan looked at his father and noticed the heavyset look. He was being absolutely serious.

"Though I have been through the academy, somehow I think they didn't tell me the whole truth," Logan said.

"Indeed they did not. As a Scout, you will travel to places that no one has been to before or that are rarely travelled. You will encounter pirates and other things out there and you must do whatever it takes for you to survive. I know you don't like harm anyone but if it becomes necessary then don't even think twice about it, just do it," Mathew said to his son. "Out there, it is kill or be killed."

"I understand," Logan said after he thought on it. "It's just like slavery." Though they had tried to remove it from society during the 20th century, slavery had returned with a will midway through the 21st century. The only difference now was that now there were specific rules for someone to become a slave and regulations to do with there gaining freedom or their ownership being transferred. Also, any children they had would not be treated as slaves but as part of the household of those who owned them.

"In a manner of speaking," Mathew agreed. Though the family had distaste for slavery, they knew that it was important and so tolerated it. Unlike some owners, House Jacobs treated their slaves very well, practically as employees. The only real restriction on them was that their wage was lower and that they had a curfew. "On that note, if something happens that forces you to take a slave or two, do it, even if you don't want to. You can always drop them off back here when you come and visit, or send them by courier."

"Alright," Logan said and no sooner then he had said it then his Grandfather walked in, followed by three extremely beautiful girls in matching long coats. Logan stood and turned to greet him. "Hello grandfather William, how are you?"

"Hello Logan, I'm well thank you, how are you?" William replied as he extended his hand.

"I'm good thank you," Logan replied as he shook William's hand.

"Fine, how are you Mathew?" William asked his son as he walked over and extended his hand.

"I'm well thank you father. And who are these three lovelies?" Mathew asked as he shook his father's hand and eyed the three girls.

"Hands off Mathew, they are for Logan. My gift to him," William replied.

"Slaves?" Logan asked as he looked over the three. They didn't look older than 15 or 16 but were incredibly beautiful.

"Hardly, I know your views on them," William said. Logan didn't make any secret of the fact that he didn't like the idea of slavery. "No, they are fembots."

"Fembots, what use do I have for fembots?" Logan asked incredulously. He knew what they were for, he had even tried a few, but what purpose could they serve on a scout.

"Hold on Logan, let me explain," William said placidly. "They are fembots but they are also so much more. I had them specially designed and built at great expense. They look like your standard pleasure fembot but their computer is a fully fledged AI, not some simple programming. They are fully programmed with all the knowledge a scout crewmember could possibly need along with a full suite of combat skills. They are faster and stronger then any combat bot I have ever seen but still as gentle as a mother with a newborn. I think you'll find them useful," William said with a smile.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.