A Broken Heart - Cover

A Broken Heart

Copyright© 2008 by cellophanesmile

Chapter 3

Heidi slipped into a tight red dress. It was one of the few dresses she owned, since she hardly ever had a place to wear them. She had gotten it for a friend's wedding, it was a splurge and she was glad she was having another chance to wear it.

"Mommy?" Fitzroy walked into the room as she was struggling to zip up the back. "Where are you going?"

"I'm going out to dinner, baby," she told him, picking him up and setting him down on her bed, "What do you think?"

"Mommy looks pretty," he told her happily, clapping his hands.

Heidi stared down at him. She loved him more than anything else in the entire world, but was she hurting him by not telling Jake about him? Jake could give him so much more, a nice house, a dog, college tuition. She couldn't risk it though, she couldn't risk losing him, or sharing him every other weekend. Fitzroy was hers and hers completely.

"Why are you going out?" he asked, picking at her bed spread and kicking his feet against the mattress. Heidi leaned close to the mirror to put her makeup on, watching him from in it.

"Just for fun. Mommies like to have fun sometimes too." Fun, ha, more like a nightmare.

"I'm gonna have fun too. I like Ginny," he informed her, referring to Fran's daughter of the same age as him. Fran had five children ranging from ages one to sixteen. This made Heidi feel guilty about giving her another one to watch, even for an evening, but Fran insists that one more doesn't really make a difference. Plus, she says, Fitzroy and Ginny keep each other entertained, and it's hard to even remember that they're there.

"I know you do," she said, glancing at the clock. She had to go drop Fitz off, then be back here before seven.

"Let's go now," she said picking him up off the bed and pushing him out of the room. "Where are your shoes?" she asked as she grabbed her keys.

"Right here," he said as he slid them on. He had just recently learned how to tie his shoes, and was now making a big production of it. He never let her tie them for him anymore.

"We're going to be late, sweetie," she said. Fitz stood up and walked out the door, Heidi following him.

"Fiz!" Ginny said running to the door when Heidi rang the bell to drop him off. The two children ran off together.

"Don't you look nice," Fran said smiling at Heidi, who hardly ever dressed up.

"Thanks for doing this. I'll be back as soon as I can," Heidi called over her shoulder as she rushed back to her still running car.

Fran was waving at the door as Heidi pulled out of the driveway. Almost ten to seven, she hoped Jake wasn't the kind to be early.

God, why was she even doing this? Heidi sped up the car as fast as she dared. All she had to do was sit through one dinner with him, that's all. She would nicely and politely tell him that there was no longer any reason to feel guilty, and that he should just kindly leave her alone. There was no need for things to get ugly.

Heidi ran up to her apartment and shut the door, and not a moment later, there was a nock on it. Heidi stifled a giggle at this perfect timing; she didn't want him to think she was crazy or anything.

"Hi," was all he said when she opened the door. What else did she think he would say?

"Hi." Heidi had the sneaking impression that he was waiting to be invited in, but she just didn't think she could risk it. What if he asked for a tour? What if he tried to find the bathroom and accidentally stumbled on Fitz's. And anyway, she didn't want to invite him in.

"I'm all set," she squeezed her way out of the door and locked it behind her.

"You look very nice tonight."

"Hmm?" Heidi questioned, looking up at him.

He cleared his throat, "I said you look very nice."

"Oh, thank you." Heidi stood waiting for him to lead the way, after all he was taking her to his car. He just stood waiting for her to go, though. Maybe he thought she should lead the way since, after all, it was her apartment building.

Heidi started to walk, but at the same time, so did Jake. Heidi stood back to indicate him to go first, and she rolled her eyes, wondering if the whole night would be like this. She was hiding with her annoyance, however, how she really felt. She thought he looked really nice that night, too. She was nervous and angry and strangely happy all at the same time.

Jake led her to his car, the same one he had been driving the other night. Heidi opened the door for her, and she felt like a phony. No one had ever opened a car door for her before, much less such a fancy car door. She just wasn't the kind of person that someone would open a car door for, and nor did she want to be that kind of person. She was strong and independent, and she didn't need a man. Jake was the kind of person who opened car doors, though.

Halfway to the restaurant, Heidi became painfully aware that neither of them had said anything since they had left her apartment. She had been too busy wrapped up into her own thoughts to worry about something to say, but now that she had noticed it, it was killing her.

Why didn't he say anything? He had asked her out, so it was naturally his responsibility to keep the conversation flowing throughout the whole evening, right?

"I hope you like Italian food."

Finally, she thought, and she was so relieved that she almost forgot to answer him.

"Oh, yes, that sounds perfect."

Silence.

"So, what have you been up to since high school?"

"Oh, college, you know. I've just recently joined my father's company."

"Oh that's exciting."

"Not really."

Heidi couldn't believe the sad resignation in his voice. She had always pictured him has having his life all set, being happy he didn't have to work hard for anything, but he seemed to be unhappy with his life. She knew this shouldn't make her happy, but it kind of did. She guessed rich kids didn't always get what they wanted after all.

"You don't like your job?"

He shrugged. "No, not really. The sad part is that my father's not even pressuring me to take over the business or anything. I can do whatever I want. I just don't have anything I would rather do."

Heidi felt guilty about gloating inwardly earlier. It must take a lot for him to admit such an aspect of his life.

"And what about you? What have you been up to?"

"I've been working at the restaurant, you know," she sat bat a little in her seat and tried not to sound "too proud of herself as she said, "I've also just gotten my associates degree in business administration."

"Heidi, that's great!" he said with genuine enthusiasm, and Heidi felt even guiltier about being happy that he was disappointed with his job.

"So what are you planning on doing with that degree?"

"Well, I just got it, so I haven't really had a chance to look for a new job or anything yet. Once I find one, though, I'm planning on saving some money so I can one day own my own business."

"You sound like you've got it all figured out," he smiled over at her. Heidi couldn't help but smile a little back at him, she did have it all figured out. She felt like after all this time, her life was finally going the way it was supposed to.

"What kind of business are you thinking about?"

Heidi wasn't sure if he just wanted to keep the conversation rolling or if he genuinely cared about what she wanted to do with her life, and for some reason, it mattered to her which one it was.

"I was thinking about owning just a little store, maybe a used book store, or an antique shop."

"That's perfect. That sounds like you."

Heidi smiled inwardly at the compliment. To tell the truth, she had been a little bit worried about whether she would be able to pull it off or not, but now after talking to Jake, she was completely confident.

Jake pulled into a nice Italian restaurant, and Heidi didn't wait for him to open the door. She knew the place was more expensive than she could afford, and she wondered if he was expecting her to split the tab. After all, guys only paid when it was a date, right? And this wasn't a date.

"This is a really nice place," she said when they were seated.

"I'm glad you like it."

The menu didn't have prices. What kind of menu doesn't have prices, she wondered.

Jake and the waiter talked about wine for a minute and then he ordered a bottle.

"What are you looking at?" he asked her, while he glanced over his own menu.

"Oh, I think I'll just have a salad," she said, stressing out over the prices. If they didn't put the prices down, that could only mean they didn't want the customers to see them, and that could only mean that they were outrageously expensive. Or it could be that the people who ate here were so rich that they didn't bother with such crude things as the prices of meals.

"Don't tell me you're one of those girls who don't eat?" he asked in a teasing tone.

"I eat!" she denied.

Jake just chuckled and looked down at his menu. The wine came, and Jake automatically poured some into her glass. He better not expect me to pay for this, she thought grumpily.

"How do you like it?" he asked gesturing toward the wine, although it was obvious she hadn't drunk any yet.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.