Pathfinder - Cover

Pathfinder

Copyright© 2008 by Kenney Jones

Chapter 4

Retrieving the various crystals proved just as effortless as dropping them off had. Finally, after two months, I found myself looking at a robotic arm. Turned white in color due to the extreme heat, even though the shields held most of it back. I could only guess what the waves of heat and radiation were doing to my hull, but I'd bet the show was real impressive.

I couldn't believe the figures that my numerous scanners and meters were displaying ... Some of my equipment couldn't handle the output, while others where showing such outrageous figures, that it was almost incomprehensible.

This crystal, along with the others I had collected, was a standard Grade 4 Power Crystal, the same size, shape and characteristics as the ones currently powering my ship. This crystal, after its time within the massive pressure and temperature of the O class star, was displaying more power than a Grade 6 Power Crystal. A Grade 5 crystal has the output of ten Grade 4's, and a Grade 6 is equivalent to ten Grade 5's. The largest ships in the fleet, known as the Dreadnought Class, are powered by several Grade 6 crystals, each one running major systems and allowing redundancy.

'I can't wait to get my hands on this one' I said to myself as I headed back to the bridge.

Chris was standing at a console going over the numbers as well. "Are these readings correct Sir?"

"I'd have to say yes, and I'm very pleased."

"What are your orders now Sir?"

"Lets head to the station and get this meeting over. The sooner I can conclude my Grandfathers affairs, the sooner I can get down to the real business at hand."

Soon enough I found myself at the Space Station Katyrubis. Being a military base, docking was rightly effective but lengthy for no apparent reason. I planned to do a complete systems check after docking but was told/informed that I had a meeting with the station commander in one hour. Having Chris start on the system checks, I headed for my appointment. Seeing no reason for this meeting I had to assume that it was my family name that brought me this unwanted attention. I reached the location for the appointment but I was still forced to sit through an unnecessary wait, which I assume was meant to intimidate me.

"Gloria!" came a raspy voice over the intercom bringing my attention to the owner of said name. Gloria was definitely a beauty. Short with a slim figure, what I would assume were average sized breasts that seemed large on her small frame. A natural red head it seemed, she wore her hair back in a tight tail that hung down past her shoulders.

"Yes Sir," she replied fighting desperately to keep the smile from her full lips. Though the diamond like sparkling in those sage green eyes couldn't be hidden behind a shade screen.

"Where is that little prick? I told him to be here 5 minutes ago." I could practically see the venom dripping from his voice. Commander Reeves was by reputation an all around jackass. Even grandfather warned me about him. 'Stay clear headed around that glorvian bottom feeding dog. He is an ambitious man who's only concern is the advancement of his own career.'

"He's here sir. He arrived almost 20 minutes ago." She had to place one of her well manicured hands over her mouth to muffle a cute little giggle.

"Well, why didn't you say so? Send him in," I'm not sure how he managed the next little trick but actually managed to slam the connection closed while simply releasing a button. I had to suppress my own laugh at that one.

"His majesty will see you now," she said in a very formal tone that complemented her soprano tone nicely. Smiling at this lovely creature I entered the lions den.

"Ah, there you are my boy," he says in a false jovial tune as if he hadn't insulted me just moments before. "Sit, sit. What brings you to my station? Business or pleasure?"

Choosing not to make waves this early in our meeting I took my appointed seat.

"Well sir, I'm here on business." I was purposely trying to be vague.

After not elaborating he asked, " and what would that be? Surely a man in my position has a right to know what happens on his station?"

"In most cases the commander should know what happens on his post but in this instance the only thing I can tell you is that I'm on a delivery run and only plan to stay long enough to make that delivery then I will be on my way."

"I would assume that delivery would be to a..." he stalled looking at a data pad on his desk for a moment. I knew full well he knew whom I was here to meet. He was not stupid I'll give him that. "A Captain Anders?"

"Yes sir." I had to be careful and choose my words from here on very carefully I knew what he was going to say next.

"Surely you can leave whatever it is with me. I have a very secure safe and I am the only one with it's combination. I assure you there is no safer place on this station." and he was probably right. But that wasn't in the plans and I didn't really see a need to change those yet.

"I appreciate your concern in aiding me in completing my task, but I must regretfully decline your offer. I was given very clear directions on this matter." I wasn't going to tell him that those instructions were to not under any circumstances to give him the package. "I am to place my package directly into Captain Anders hands."

"Well I can understand you're commitment to following orders but since the person you are meeting is a member of the governments advanced research department, I'll have to insist as a superior officer that you hand over the package. I assure you it'll go where it is needed to." he had a waste munching grin on his face as he assumed that he actually outranked me.

"I apologize but it seems you have been mis-informed."

"Listen you prick," ah were back to name calling again.

Why is it that men, older men that is, assume that because you are younger than them that you will react in a similar manner as them.

"As the Commanding Officer of this station, I order you to hand over that delivery immediately. If you refuse I'll have you thrown into the brig." he sat there with that same smug look on his face and I gave him a moment to savor his assumed victory. Being so young, he assumed that the only way I had my own ship was if I was a courier or a scout for the military. A fair assumption but it seems he quickly forgot about the family I came from and the influence they had. This ship was mine and mine alone. Paid for with the credits I earned creating programs for various institutions. I remember the first time I saw my ship in it's entirety.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.