Pathfinder - Cover

Pathfinder

Copyright© 2008 by Kenney Jones

Chapter 1

"Captain, you are now clear of civilian traffic you may precede on designated course out of system." The yardmaster said clearing us for departure out of my home system.

"Sir, systems read green across the board."

"Christine, please set course, heading 073 mark 2 at full impulse until system boundary, then proceed at warp 4 to the Tonash system. Wake me one hour and a half before arrival. I've had a long day and I'm ready for some rest. You have the bridge."

"Acknowledged Captain", I heard before the doors closed behind me. I followed the hall the short way to the captains quarters stripping before I even reached the bed. Allowing the artificial gravity to take hold I slowly fell to the bed at 1/6th G exhausted after a long ass day.


"So you ready to go little bro?" Marcus asked as he walked into my bedroom. He ruffled my hair which is something that I haven't liked since I was oh, I don't know, 1 day old. But he seemed to get a kick out of it so it wasn't that big of a deal. Marcus was the nicer of my two brothers. He was alright to be around but if money came into the picture he seemed to transform right before the eyes.

"Just about Marcus, just a few boxes left to be loaded."

"Why so much stuff? Didn't you get a replicator on board?"

"Yeah, these are all the books I have on my research."

"What? All these boxes are books? Why don't you scan them and put them on a data pad?"

"I enjoy reading the old fashion way. It's something to do with the smell of the paper. Well anyway this is all I have left. Wanna give me a hand?"

"Sure little bro," he said ruffling my hair again. "I want to see the inside of your boat."

"Ship, Marcus, ship. If it's not a military vessel it's a ship."

"What ever, I can never get those things right anyway. Lets hurry though, we have to get you packed up before dinner. Mom wants us all to eat together before you leave in the morning."

"Do you mean?"

"Yep. William is coming home as well."

I groaned audibly hearing those dreaded words. I hadn't seen my brother William for two years, and to say the least, they were the best two years of my life. My oldest brother was the thorn in my side since before I could walk. When he finally reached the age of consent and moved into the city to follow his own goals a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Now after what seemed like a lifetime he was returning to cast his shadow over my life again.

Marcus and I finished loading my left over boxes. I gave him what my great grandfather called the nickel tour, he got a quick but informative show. He was impressed with the main bridge. I don't think he really knew what actually happens on board a ship but the light that shone in his eyes as we walked down the ramp kind of made me glad he was my brother. With a quick hair ruffle he was off to freshen up for dinner and I decided I should as well.

After a quick shower and redressing, I entered our formal dinning room. The entire family was there. My great grandfather and my grandfather must have left really early that day to travel so far to be here this early. Their respective wives were here as well. My mother and father were standing across the room with my eldest brother all holding hands with smiles on their faces. When I made my entrance everyone slowly quietened and watched me as I walked over to take my seat, greeting my family as I went. Of everyone present, my grandfather was my favorite. He was a fellow scientist, working more in the medical field, where as I worked in the tech field. We had many discussions that went on for hours on how which one affects more of the population. Even though I think the medical advancements recently have been the most impressive, I couldn't let him know that, for conversations sake if nothing else.

Dinner was lengthy and brutal due to my brother's presence. As I expected, he dominated the conversation with his accomplishments over the last two years. I couldn't fault him really. He's made great strides in the military, bringing peace to three war torn systems. He used brute force and overwhelming numbers, but I may have chosen those same tactics if I had the resources he did. He and I didn't get along when he lived here and being on the other side of the planet didn't seem to bring us together either.

Dinner was finally over and the others gathered in my father's library while I disappeared off out to the back yard. Our private landing strip was crowded now. My grandfather and great grandfathers jaguars were parked and tied down to either side of my newer and larger craft. My brother's boat drew my eyes with great ease. He had actually come in a military craft. I knew this particular vehicle was the military's pride and joy. Fast, agile and can pack quite a punch. I also knew that there were probably over 100 people on board just waiting for my brother to finish eating. Though the power may be appealing to some, I just see the waste of people and resources. A smaller craft would've done the job of taxiing my dear older brother around but why not show the world you have power and how to take advantage of it. His ship was half again as long as mine and was much more powerfully armed but I knew that didn't make it better. I shook my head in disapproval.

"She's rather impressive isn't she?" I heard the familiar voice say behind me. Without flinching or straightening to obviously I managed to reply.

"She really is," I said referring to my own ship and not his.

"I have 154 people on board. She carries enough firepower to devastate a small planet."

I knew then he was probably right. The weapons replicator tech, that belonged solely to the military, made it possible to carry an endless supply of ammunition. Four dual mounted rail guns would allow for an unrelenting attack, causing shields to drain quickly. Once the shields were down missiles would be fired causing devastation upon the enemy ships. In my opinion the ships only drawback is it's need for such a large crew. To much space was wasted on comfort.

"She is beautiful but too much for me." I was referring to the ships needs, not it's abilities.

"She may be at that but she's perfect for me. I do have a gift for you though."

"What?" I asked confused at the alien words that just left my brothers lips. He'd never given me anything in my life and I'm not sure if this wasn't just another one of his tricks.

"I said I have a gift for you. I know you don't like me and I know I haven't done anything to change that but I want to start now. I do have a gift if you'll accept it?" The question was obvious in his voice. I'd never seen my brother like this and I could tell that this was important to him so I went along ready for the joke to blow up in my face.

"Ah ... sure. I'd appreciate that a lot." I said not sure if he even had the right notion for a worthwhile gift.

He taps the COM on his chest. "Could you bring down my brothers gift please?"

"Right away sir" is responded and before I could even ask a question the door opens and a woman in military uniform walks down the ramp carrying a large box. I figured it was a woman due to her small frame. I couldn't see much because the box obscured her face.

"Is she a bot?" I asked barely able to form the words. My brother had actually given me a gift. Even though I didn't know what it was, I figured this was a once and a lifetime occasion.

"Actually she is an android. Top of the line, and very life like I might add." He says nudging me in the side with his elbow staggering me with its force. I didn't understand what he meant but I grinned along with him to try and hurry this along.

"Sir, here it is." She said in a voice partially muffled by the box. It tickled something in the back of my memory but I couldn't quite place it.

"Please set it down."

"Yes sir," the android said sitting the box down effortlessly. She straightened, tossing her long brown hair over her shoulders, and I almost shit myself. Christine, how the hell? I was completely confused.

"Do you like little bro?"

How? When? What the hell is going on here? I couldn't get my mind to work. This was the face of my AI. Well, it's hologram I should say. The one I spent my life working on. Line for line, byte for byte my AI was my creation and mine alone and here she was right in front of me in the flesh so to speak.

"Surprised little bro? I knew you would be. She's got the top of the line hard ware and software. I'm honest enough to say I have no idea what versions those are, but I'm sure you do so you can appreciate it. I wasn't sure if you had a uniform for your ships crew so I took the liberty of putting her in the Federations' coverall."

I looked at my brother for the first time since dinner. I couldn't believe he'd done this for me. My life's work in the flesh. He actually did this for me and there wasn't a cruel remark in the entire thing. I did something I thought I'd never do and hugged him.

With his training he could've tossed me easily but he didn't, instead he wrapped an arm around me and hugged me back. We stayed that way for several moments before I was in control enough to step back and wipe the tears from my eyes. I noticed he did the same and we stood there in silence thinking of the display of affection we'd never shown each other before. And what it meant for the future.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.