Magician's Merger - Cover

Magician's Merger

Copyright© 2008 by Xenophon Hendrix

Chapter 5

That night as I lay in bed with Harvey sprawled across my feet, I reverted to my worrywart self. What if Mom and Dad won't let me get a guitar?

Why wouldn't they? Ursus thought in reply.

I recalled the event of about a year before. I had told Mom and Dad that I wanted to learn the guitar. They asked me if I would promise to practice every day. They told me that the strings would cut into my fingers. Their reaction struck me as strangely intense, and I received the impression that they didn't want me to learn it. I was confused and hurt, and I dropped the notion after that and tried to convince myself that I didn't really want to play. But I did.

Ursus shared in the memories as they were recalled. Hmmm, he thought, that is puzzling. They don't have any religious objections. They both like music. Frankly, I'm as baffled as you are. Perhaps it was just a matter of logistics. Your father works long hours. Your mother cares for five children. Maybe they didn't want the hassle of getting you to lessons unless you really were committed to learning. It could be that they accidentally scared you off while trying to gauge how serious you were.

Do you think they will try to stop me?

Based on your memories and what I have seen so far, they seem like decent folks. I doubt if they would try to prevent you from getting a guitar. They might not cooperate with the idea, but the mental collective of which we currently consist is a human being with free will and resources of its own. We'll get a guitar.

Now, we are a growing boy, and it's time to get to sleep. Ursus began his relaxation ritual, and it soon had its intended effect.

Thursday I woke up feeling even better than I had on Wednesday. I'd again had a lot of dreams and had accumulated new memories. It was clear that Ursus's mental dump was primarily happening while I slept. I divided a thousand years by ten hours per night and came up with a lot. The memories were coming in at a faster rate than they were originally lived, but I could tell the process was going to take a long time.

I did the morning bathroom rituals then wandered out to the kitchen. Mom was sitting at the end of the table with a cup of coffee in a death grip. I knew that it was grocery day. "Mom," I said, "pick me up some plain cornflakes, please."

"What, are you getting tired of sugar-frosted chocolate lumps with marshmallows?"

"It's starting to taste too sweet. If the cornflakes aren't sweet enough on their own, I'll just add a little sugar from the bowl."

She looked at me. "That happened to me, too. As I got older, stuff started to taste sweeter. There are things that I liked as a kid that make me feel sick, now. You must be getting old."

"What does that mean for you?"

"Smartass." She smiled when she said it.

I usually read the comics in the morning, so no one paid much attention when I started to read the rest of the paper, too. At about a quarter to nine, I looked up and saw it was shaping up to be a nice day in November, traditionally a gray and depressing month in Michigana. "Mom, can I ride my bike to school today?"

"Why would you want to do that?"

"I'm still a little weak from lying in bed for so long; a bike ride would get me some exercise. Besides, it looks really nice out there."

"How will you carry your books?"

"I'll put them in my backpack." I had an old canvas knapsack from the surplus store.

"What about Sean?" Whereas Mom didn't have a formal agreement to bring Sean back and forth from school, if she saw him on the way, she gave him a ride.

"I'll call him right now and see if he wants to ride his bike, too."

"Fine," she said in the ambiguous tone of voice that irked me. I never could figure out why she did it. It left a person wondering if she really did think it was fine, or if she thought it was a terrible idea but was reluctantly going along with it.

I started to open my mouth to say something when Ursus thought, Shut up!

What?

You made a reasonable argument and got what you wanted. It's not your problem to try to figure out if she is happy about it or not. You asked permission. You were polite. You received the permission. Just can it. She's a mother, so she worries about all kinds of things, and there isn't much you can do about it. Go call Sean.

Sean thought it was a fine idea. I got my pack and started to go downstairs to collect my school stuff when Mary asked Mom, "May I ride my bike, too? I can strap my books to the rack on back." Mary turned to me, "You don't mind if I come along, do you?"

"It's fine with me," I said. Mary looked hopefully at Mom.

"Fine, go," she said.

As Mary was getting up from the table, Rich began to say, "Can I-" when Mom cut him off and said, "No you'll ride in with me."

"Aw."

Mary and I headed off. On our way to collect Sean, Ursus thought, You know, this is a good idea.

It is a great day.

Yes, but more than that, the main reason you're pudgy is that you don't get enough exercise.

I was about to think, Bite me, old man; but I tried to suppress it. Suppressing it didn't work, and Ursus "heard" me anyway.

I'm just trying to look after our best interests. If everything works out, we will be living in this body for a long, long time.

At that point, the Arthur part of my brain spoke up: What's going to happen to me? He sounded scared.

What do you mean?

Am I going to just disappear?

Ursus became totally serious. Arthur, I'm very sorry for what I did--am doing--to you. I didn't even take your rights into consideration. All I thought about was a way to keep living. But to answer your question, no, I don't think you will disappear. I think the two of us are going to keep growing together into a new personality that happens to remember two childhoods and two sets of parents, but I also think that an Arthur part and an Ursus part will always remain facets of that personality.

I was pretty quiet when Sean came out and greeted us. We rode in almost silently, enjoying what might be the last blue sky for weeks.

We actually arrived a minute or so before Mom. After locking up our bikes, Mary headed to the grade-five wing while Sean and I went over to stand beside Al. I noticed that Kirsten Kennedy was back. I'd had a bit of a crush on her at least since grade four, but I tended suppress it, because I knew how Al felt about her. Nevertheless, I found her especially fascinating that morning.

She was probably the best looking girl in grade six. She had wavy auburn hair, green eyes, high cheekbones, a dimple in her chin, a heart-shaped face, and an adorable spray of freckles across her cheeks and nose. Normally, she wore glasses, which gave her a somewhat intellectual look. As I mentioned earlier, she was already starting to show womanly curves. From her head to her feet, she was elegantly proportioned.

But it wasn't her physical beauty that held me transfixed. After all, we had gone to the same school since kindergarten, and I had seen her regularly for years. The insight with which Ursus was supplying me, though, forced me to look at her with new eyes. She was one of the best students in grade six--one of the brains who had assembled in Mr. Dean's class. From hearing her read the occasional essay aloud, I knew that she could write. She even once had rendered in rhymed couplets a report on the House of Tribunes. Kirsten played the piano, the flute, and had recently started learning the saxophone. Beauty, brains, and talent--a killer combination if there ever was one, and on top of it all, she had a good-natured disposition. Even her voice had a pleasant timbre. I felt a nervous sickness to my stomach.

Shit, Ursus thought. I'm turning into a pervert.

"Hey!" Kirsten said in a mock-stern tone. "Who are you staring at?"

Arthur's first instinct was to look away, mumble something, and then flee. Ursus, however, seized control and saved the situation, "Forgive me, lady," I said. "I was smitten." I removed an imaginary hat and made a sweeping bow. The kids who saw what happened laughed in a good humored rather than mocking way. Kirsten smiled and blushed. Her friend Pam hugged Kirsten's arm and briefly rested her head on Kirsten's shoulder in that way girls do.

I was saved by Miss Gorse unlocking the door to the grade-six wing. Kirsten looked at me a moment before she turned to go inside. I could hear my heart beat. Al looked at me, too, searchingly. Oops. We went in without saying anything, though.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.