Genius - Cover

Genius

Copyright© 2008 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 3: Battle

The leader of the riders, Lord Hubert, directed three of his men to attack me while he directed the others to carry on after Brenda.

The leader of the three gave a wicked smile as he approached, and as I stood waiting a thought came to me. "Immobilie!" I said and stood back as their horses fell to the ground, their legs bound by padded rope throwing the men on the ground.

One man was stuck underneath his horse and was screaming out because his leg was broken, but the two others got to their feet unsheathing their swords. "Just because you're a mage it doesn't mean you're a good swordsman." The elder one said trying to infuriate me.

I didn't answer but took the Questoring Blade from its sheath at my side, then turning the blade slightly so that the runes were visible.

"That was Edward's sword! Where did you get it from?" The leader demanded.

I looked at it as if I hadn't seen it before, "Oh, was he the man who head was blown away by my actions?" I asked him with a smile.

"That was Lord Hubert's brother! You will pay for that!" He said as he charged towards me, the Questoring Blade moved like liquid in my hands, turning to block his thrust. He tried again but only found the blade stopping him. "You bastard!" he said.

I shook my head, "My parents were married, and when did your mother last see your father?" I said mockingly, which seemed to upset him as he tried to knock me off my feet by charging me.

I rewarded his attempt by jumping to one side and leaving the blade in his side for a second, feeling it suck at his blood, he slumped to the ground and then raise his head up, "You will pay..." he said again as I brought the sword down and severed his head from his neck.

The second man watched as I despatched his leader, I turned to him. "Well? You have a choice, feed the blade or run away ... I'd run if I was you!" I said with a smile.

The man shook his head, threw down his sword and began to run. I let him go as I was slightly sick of all the blood being split, but there wasn't much I could do about it. I loaded up the shotgun and then retrieved the other one from my wounded horse. "Sorry boy." I said and then I felt strange and, resting my hand on the horses' shanks, said "Revitar" and the wound seemed to heal. The horse managed to get to it feet, but it wasn't in any shape to take my weight.

I went to the three horses and went to the man still lying on the ground. "Well? Are you going to kill me?" He said resignedly.

I shook my head, "I should, but I don't feel like it! Your colleague has gone and I'm willing to let you do the same." I said

He laughed, "Of course you are, and what am I supposed to do with this leg? I'd never be able to tend to my farm again." He said.

I pulled the horse away from him, changing the rope into hobbles for the horses with a word. "You were a farmer, but why are you riding with Lord Hubert!" I asked him.

He spat on the ground, "His tame wizard ruined my crops and forced me to join them so that my family could survive!" he said.

I shook my head at that, "There is no need for such actions! If I were the..." I paused what had Wilbert told me? 'You are now the true heir to my realm, I charge you to protect it to the best of your being.' So I was the true Lord of the Manor. "What do you know of Lord Wilbert?" I asked the man while I tended to his broken leg.

The man frowned, "Well, there have been stories of how he built the castle, but some of them don't match up with what I've heard elsewhere. From what Hubert says you'd think his family's been there for ages!" He said.

"What do you know about the ruins near the castle?" I asked hearing him grunt as I straightened out his leg.

"Just that nobody goes near it; it's rumoured to be haunted by evil spirits!" He said looking around and making a sign, I presumed it was just like crossing yourself to ward off evil spirits.

I nodded, "Well it's no longer haunted, it was Hubert's grandfather who killed Lord Wilbert and his family, and then they killed the priest who was doing the service stopping them from going on! It was Hubert's relatives who created the evil in that place, an evil that no longer exists, as their souls are now at rest. And for doing that Lord Wilbert gave me the land to guard and protect." I said

The man looked at me as if I was mad, but then something flickered in his eyes. "My Lord." He said and tried to bend forward.

"Not yet, I need to heal you!" I admonished but realised that he wanted to follow me, the feeling I had earlier with the horse came back to me. I held his leg and then said, "Revitar" I heard a 'crunch' noise from his leg and the man screamed for a few seconds, his face white with shock.

I searched the saddles of the horses and found a flask of something that stank of alcohol. I took it back to the man, "Try this." I said handing it to him, he drank and spluttered but his colour did return to his face.

"Thank you my Lord," The man said and then dropped his eyes.

"Why won't you look at me?" I asked.

The man shook his head, "It's not right My Lord, you are my Lord and tain't right to look at you!" He said.

I laughed, "Well, I like to see what people really think. And I really can't do that if they never look at me, now can I?" I pointed out. He raised his head to look at me, and fear was etched in his gaze.

"I'm ready for your judgement, my Lord." He said quivering.

"Judgement? Why should I judge you?" I asked.

He looked at me puzzled, "I was one of those chasing you, so I'm your enemy. I deserve death!" He said bracing himself and looking at the Sword in the sheath.

"You were conscripted against your will; you haven't tried to kill me since we've started to talk. Now I want you to go somewhere to heal properly, now where can you..." I said but he quickly spoke.

"I can't return, Lord Hubert will kill me for failing him, he does that! Don't send me back, anywhere but there my Lord!" He pleaded.

I looked back to where the forest could still be seen and pointed to it. "Do you see that forest?" I asked.

His face dropped, "Not there my Lord, there are beasts in there that rend men apart while they are alive, Lord Hubert has lost many there!"

"Well that is where I'm sending you, but before you enter you will remove your sword and any weapons, keep your tinder box but I will warn you when you build a shelter use only dead wood, never harm a tree or shrub ... by the way, how's your singing voice?" I asked him.

He looked at me puzzled once again, "Singing? ... I've been told I have a passable ear my Lord."

I nodded, "Well when you enter the forest I suggest you sing something lively, and don't be afraid." I checked his leg and could see it was almost completely healed, "Take this horse and go." I ordered him.

"If you order me to Lord, I will obey you." He said and I helped him on to his horse much to his embarrassment.

I watched him ride away he was scared but I knew he would do what I asked of him.


I now needed to catch up with Genius, I reached into my pocket and found the tracker receiver was still there and unbroken, I turned it on to see the arrow pointing away from me. I took the saddle from my horse and let him loose, taking the tack to one of the other two horses, I checked them over and found one that seemed to accept me.

I saddled the horse and, after loading both shotguns and placing them in the loops, I mounted the steed. I put the receiver on the pommel of the saddle and started off.

I spoke to the sword, "Can you pass some power into the horse or can you only supply me?" I asked it.

'Should you want me to I can empower your horse, but I'll need more blood later!' It said in my mind.

I nodded, "I suppose it's because it take more from you for a beast this size." I asked.

'No, I always want blood, that's why my last master called me Questoring Blade, I accept the name that I am given.' It said.

"Oh, I thought it was your real name." I said as we galloped after Genius and the others.

'Not at all, when I was first forged and animated my master called me Blood-drinker. To my next master I was Headcutter, then after that I was... ' It said sounding smug.

"So any name will do?" I asked interrupting it

'Yes master, I will respond to anything.' The blade replied.

I thought for a moment, "Well I'm not really blood thirsty and I prefer nice sounding names..." I withdrew the sword from the sheath and studied the blade closely; it wasn't really black as I could see the runes as if on a dark evening, or very early morning! "You're not a dark blade, more of a Twilight blade ... Sword I name you Twilight!" I said.

'Thank you master, I accept the name!' Twilight said to me and I felt a rush of power passing through me.

"What did you do?" I asked it.

'We are nearing your enemies master, I have given you power!' Twilight said.


I hadn't realised that we had caught up with Hubert's men, I put Twilight away and pulled out the shotgun, "steady boy, there's going to be a loud noise!" I warned the horse, feeling slightly silly doing so.

I aimed at the group, knowing that they were too intent on their prey to worry about me; I fired the gun hitting one man in the head and another in the arm, the first fell from his horse, never to rise again, the second pulled his horse up single handed which skewed the steed around hitting another horse and bringing the two down — not bad, three unhorsed with one shot!

I rode past the fallen and then fired the gun again, this time bringing down another man. I managed to put the shotgun away and drew Twilight from its sheath. Even with the noise I had made I was still able to strike out at two men closely in front of me, hearing them shriek as the blade suck at their blood.

Then I was in the midst of the riders, some turning to see me and trying to draw their swords to fight me, Twilight deflected some, disarmed others and chopped off limbs. It sounds as if I was some kind of superman but the blade was doing all the work.

I managed to gain the front of riders and was beside the man I'd noticed in the chamber with Brenda, after drawing new power from Twilight I smiled at him. "Lord Hubert?" I asked.

He glanced at me, "Where the hells did you come from!" He snarled.

"Oh you'll find that several of your late friends feel the same." I said. "Now, in the name of Lord Wilbert, I order you to leave his lands!"

He frowned while still riding on "Who? What lands do you mean?" he asked.

I showed him Twilight, "I've already started to fight for Lord Wilbert's land and his castle that he built, how else could I have remove the Lady Brenda from where you had her imprisoned." I said.

His face twisted in anger, "That is the Questoring Blade, my brother had that!" He said

I nodded, "That was its name, but now I call it Twilight, as it's going to herald the end of your days!" I said — it was slightly melodramatic but I couldn't resist it!

"You murderer! That was my brother you killed." He said

"I'm a murderer? What about you? You're supposed to look after your people and manage the land, but what do you do? You kill off farmer's crops, force your people to serve you to be killed, and I'm the murderer!" I shouted at him

"I'm the Lord of the land! I'm the one who controls the peasants! They are nothing to me!" He said and swung at me but Twilight came up and struck the blade away from me, twisting it around and throwing the sword away from Hubert's hand.

Hubert screamed at me and then turned his horse away from me, getting behind some of his men, "Coward! Too afraid to die!" I called out

"It's a demon in human guise! Destroy it!" Hubert said to his men, but made sure he was far behind them so that I couldn't get to him.

The men looked at me and I smiled, "If you believe I'm a demon then attack, but ask yourselves first why Lord Hubert is being such a coward? I've killed his brother and taken his blade, which I now call Twilight. Do you men wish to meet your doom?" I asked them.

One man spat on the ground and shook his head, "I don't care what you might be, I'm still a soldat for Brak Distar!" he said and began to turn his horse towards me.

I reached for the other shotgun and brought it up, he didn't recognise it and was most surprised when I pulled the trigger and it sent the shot out towards him, a surprise that seemed to fade when his shoulder was shredded by the shot and agony spread throughout his body.

I fired the second barrel trying to hit Hubert, but another rider got in the way and was out of the action permanently. This made the group pause for a moment, they watched as I slid the shotgun into the loops on my saddle.

I withdrew Twilight again. "This is Twilight, it used to be known as the Questoring Blade, you all know what it can do, so I warn you ... depart or be despatched!" I said. It sounded brash, I know, but I felt that something needed to be said.

A general wave of fear went through the group, but one man spoke up. "There are many of us and only one of you! You're going to die!" He said drawing his sword.

I nodded, "True, but you need to be lucky once, and I can always strike at you, who wouldst be the first to die!" I said and then noticed there was a wolf beside me, "Is that you Genius?" I asked quietly, the wolf gave a bark.

Hubert, from the back of the group, spoke up. "Look he has a familiar! He must be evil! Attack him! Attack!" Goaded by their Lord the men charged. I had a few seconds in which to prepare myself with Twilight, and then there was upon us.

Genius leaped up and solidly struck the first rider from his horse, there was a sickening tearing sound and his life-blood was spurting into the ground from where his throat had been torn out! And then I lost sight of him as two riders began to attack me.

Twilight was a blur as it deflected the new lead rider's sword and through the reactions it pulled me away from the strike of the second, which missed me by inches. I wished I had a shield to help me; I could almost picture it on my free arm. Then I though of a protective vest or armour would be a help, I didn't want it to restrict my movements but I needed something like Kevlar but with some way of watching for me. To deflect the heavy blows from the swords, again the picture of the armour was clear in my mind. "Constructius" I said and then I was encased in armour, my head was completely covered but I had a clear view.

The first rider drew back in shock, "What magic is this? You clothed yourself while fighting?" He then gathered himself and swung his sword which missed, then my left hand came up and the sword heading my way was deflected by my new shield, I hadn't realised that it was there but the armour seemed to know.

The helm on my head didn't seem to stop sounds or air from getting to me; it was almost as if there was nothing on my head. Twilight took advantage of my apparent distraction by swinging in and opening up the side of one of the riders, 'Blood!' it seemed to cry out and the rider clutched at his side, trying to pull the blade out.

I gave a cry as more power was transferred to me from the sword, and then I ripped the blade from the dying man and bringing it around to remove the hand of another rider, his sword dropping to the ground still clutched in the fingers of the severed hand. I brought the sword up to feel the leather of his armour splitting beneath the blade and then it was deep into his guts. The man had no time to cry out as Twilight sucked out his blood.

Genius by now had brought down two more men and the rest were trying to keep away from us both. "If you yield I will spare your lives!" I called out as I could see Hubert was riding away from us as fast as he could.

"Lord Hubert would slay us!" A man called from his horse.

"He would! I'm not him and I need men to help me!" I said as Genius turned her head to look at me, I think she thought I was being mad — perhaps I was. "By Lord Wilbert of the land around his castle — now taken by Lord Hubert and his ancestors — I declare him outlaw and exile, should any give him aid or succour be aware of this and of the law!" I said and heard a couple of cheers from the men before me, plus a few scowls.

"I yield!" A man said and went to throw his sword down, but a man behind him raised his sword to strike him down, Genius leapt up and knocked the assailant to the ground. At this several others declared for me and the two groups separated, those joining me coming over to stand by me, those still wanting to follow Hubert — a much smaller number — decided to follow their Lord off in the distance.


Here I was clad in armour that seemed to know what was happening around it, with men who had just pledged their allegiance to me, and I still didn't know what had happened to Brenda or Pieter?

I turned to Genius, still in her wolf form. "Can you bring Brenda and Brother Pieter back here?" I asked her, she gave me a look as if to say 'what do you think?' I laughed, "Well then go and bring them!" I said. Genius gave a bark and ran away

"My Lord, can you tell us what's happening, we never hear from Lord Hubert, he just tells his men and they force us to follow him." One man said.

I shook my head, "I have to say that I'm as much in the dark as you are, I've recently arrived here from another realm, I've seen things here that I don't like, and I've become a thorn in Hubert's side because I've decided to protect the Lady Brenda." I said which started a rumbling in the men.

"She is safe?" A man asked.

"She is, but what does she mean to you?" I asked him.

The man straightened up, "I am charged by Prince Gregor to ensure that the Lady Brenda is safe and kept from harm." The man said.

I frowned but realised that underneath the armour he wouldn't see this, I was about to take the helm off when it seemed to melt into a collar around my neck, the rest of the armour folded in to become two wrist cuffs, a waistband and leggings. "And who are you?" I asked dismounting from my horse

The man watched me without flinching and then gave a brief bow of his head — in what would be considered a German motion, just the head not the body — "I am Gerald, Equerry to Prince Gregor. I joined with Lord Hubert's men as I heard he had captured Lady Brenda, and now I hear you managed to save her, can I ask how?" Gerald asked me.

"I had knowledge of the castle imparted to me by the original builder." I said watching his face whiten.

"You dealt with the shade of Lord Wilbert? But he's supposed to be evil!" he stammered.

I just looked at him, "Oh really? Just think of the source of the rumours? And then reconsider your statement." I said turning my back as I could hear Genius and the others returning, Genius was now back in her human form riding her horse.

"Lady Brenda, do you recognise this man?" I asked the young woman.

She squinted at him and then smiled, "Well Gerald. What are you doing here?" She asked him.

Gerald bowed to her, "My Lady, your betrothed was concerned when he heard that Brak Distar was interested in you, he sent me to help protect you, but I find that I am not needed." He said looking at me.

Brenda laughed at his look, "It's alright Gerald. The Lord John has remained a perfect gentleman when he found me and when the Green Lady gave him the task of protecting me..." She said but the gasp of the men around us made her stop and look at them. "That is correct, the Green Lady asked Lord John to protect me!" She said with authority.

I looked around at the men surrounding us, they had fallen to their knees and many had removed their hats looking at the ground. "What's up?" I asked Genius.

She smiled at me, "The Green Lady is revered amongst many people - she is highly regarded by them." She said and looked significantly at Brother Pieter.

"She is the pagan goddess of this land; the church allows her to be worshipped as long as it doesn't interfere with our doctrine." Brother Pieter said

"And because she helps the people more than the church does!" Genius said.

Brother Pieter was about to respond when I stopped them. "Enough, Brother Pieter and Genius there is no need to continue with this. We have other matters to deal with, first of which is can we trust Gerald here?" I asked looking at Brenda.

She nodded her head, "Yes, although Gerald was Gregor's whipping boy he's been with him for most of his life, Gregor wouldn't allow him to risk his life for any minor reason," She said.

Gerald smiled, "You Lady, you are never a minor reason to my Prince." He said with a laugh. I looked at Genius who nodded and then at Brother Pieter who looked puzzled.

"Your pardon Lady Brenda, but 'whipping boy?' That doesn't sound a very good thing." He said.

Gerald nodded, "At times it was hard, every time my Prince did something wrong I had to take his punishment, it wasn't right for a tutor to punish a prince, and so I was chosen instead. It gave me good clothes, education and helped my family! So it wasn't a real hardship." He said

I looked at the men still congregated around us, "Stand. I might be a Lord to these people but I'm not used to this, I prefer others upright not on their knees." I said

The men looked at each other before they got gingerly to their feet, "You pardon Lord, but this ain't seemly." One man said holding his hat and turning it in his hands.

I clasped him by the shoulder, "It might not be, but that is what I wish! Now how many of you are hunters?" I asked a few men held their hands up, "Okay we're going to need some food, I give you permission to hunt, but don't kill indiscriminately! The lord of the forest may protest if you do!" I warned them, watching their faces whiten as they realised what I meant.

I regarded the others, "Any cooks here?" I called out, two men raised their hands now, "Good, when the hunters bring back their prey we're going to need it cooked. Farmers?" A smattering of hands now, "find vegetables to eat, you'll know what's good and what isn't" I said and sent then on their way.

We were left with about 5 men who didn't seem to know what to do. "So what did you do before you joined this army?" I asked with a smile, it turned out we had a Farrier/Blacksmith, a Fletcher and three soldiers. I promoted the soldiers to Sergeants' with Gerald acting as their captain, they had the task of really training the two remaining as I had no anvil or iron for the Blacksmith to work with and we didn't need any arrows from the Fletcher. I debated with myself as to whether I should have joined them but Genius stopped me

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.