Salamander - Cover

Salamander

Copyright© 2008 by EMW

Chapter 14: Prisoner (Mort)

When I came to, I wished I hadn't. I was tied up in an old cellar in an old brick building with thick walls and high ceilings. A small skylight set into a tall shaft the only illumination. The way in and out of the room was blocked by a large wooden door. Even if I could get free, I doubted anyone could escape here without help.

I heard voices outside the door, and then the sound of a key entering the lock. I went slack, and pretended to still be unconscious.

"So this is the monster that consumed your brother," said a voice I only vaguely recognised. "It doesn't look like much"

"It's stronger than it looks. It has a demon's strength, and claws to match. You've seen what it did to my face." said another voice which I recognised instantly as my brothers. So he had been the one I sliced in the van.

"It makes no odds, we will burn the demon out of him soon enough," said a third voice, one I didn't know at all. "What about your sister"

"Dad thinks she is irrevocably tainted, we will purify her after we have done this thing," my brother said.

I was not liking the sound of this. Not only were they planning to burn me, but by the sounds of it, Gwen as well. I had to try and get out of this, and free my sister as well.

My brother, and I guessed, two of his friends, left shortly afterwards and I focused on getting free. I had no plan to get out of the room, but I figured that the first step would be to get out of the ropes. From there I could look at what to do next.

I struggled against my bonds, but they were too tight. I tried cutting them with my sharp nails, but couldn't get at the rope.

I thought for a bit, maybe I could use my double jointed fingers to get at the rope. With some effort I bent back my fingers to the point that I could touch the rope around my wrists, and with a bit of sawing I started to weaken the rope. It took a good twenty minutes to get the rope to the point where I was free.

Running over, I checked the door. It was too solidly built to force, and I could see no way around it from the inside. I could try waiting, rely on my invisibility to protect me, then try and sneak out once they thought I was gone. It would probably work, but it might complicate getting Gwen free. There had to be another way. I looked around me, and tried to think in terms of my new abilities rather than what I had been capable of before.

Then it hit me, the skylight!. While the high ceiling would stop a normal person, I could scale the walls, cross the gap to the shaft, climb it, and get out onto the roof. I would have to take it carefully, I had never attempted such a difficult climb before, however I was sure it was possible. Approaching the nearest wall, I took off my shoes, and tied them carefully to my belt.

Positioning my hand high on the wall, I gripped, made sure I had a good grip, then moved first one foot, then the other up onto the wall. I was now completely clear of the ground, and slowly I began to climb.

I made good progress, and was soon at the top of the wall. That is where things got tricky. Not for the first time, I cursed my lack of a hand, then cursed its slow regrowth. I needed to cross the ceiling hanging from my three limbs, I moved myself as high as I could on the wall then began moving out. Shifting my feet was OK, but moving my hand was tough. I eventually settled on repositioning my feet far apart, for greater stability, before releasing my hand. I could then use my, now stronger abdominals to hold me close to the ceiling. I also hooked my handless arm around the front leg to hold some of my weight, I could then move my hand forward grip and then move my legs up. This was not exactly the most efficient way of crossing the ceiling, but it did work. Eventually I got to the shaft, and after carefully negotiating the lip, I was climbing up the shaft towards the skylight.

I was nearly free, all I needed to do was get out onto the roof. The skylight did not appear to be secured in any way, but it was badly rusted. I tried to move it, to no avail. I had to be careful. One loud noise and I could be found out, I worked the rusted metal, trying to loosen it. Gradually the skylight started to open. It made a few disquieting squeaks, but no one came running, so I carried on till it was open enough to get through. I climbed out of the gap and onto the roof, closing the skylight behind me, not wanting to give my captors any clues as to how I had escaped.

I surveyed the roof. It was a reasonably flat roof that covered what looked like an farm building of some description. It was unlikely that I would be seen from the ground, but just on the off chance, I activated my camouflage. I made my way across the roof, on the lookout for where they were keeping Gwen. A bit further on, I spied another skylight, took a peek, and saw Gwen tied to a post in a room much like the one I had been in. There didn't seem much point in sneaking in and freeing her if there was no way to get her out of that room, since although I could, with some effort, scale the walls there was no way I could carry her back out the same way. I continued down the roof, and found another opening, the skylight was already open on this one.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.