Little's Life - Cover

Little's Life

Copyright© 2008 by Deenara2000

Chapter 1

Little walked the streets of the city just seeing what was new from the last time he had been there, and it had changed a lot. There were bigger buildings and many more people. In both cases, it was not a good thing; as the cleanliness of the area was in question as was the health of its residents.


Little had turned and was about to leave the area when he heard a ruckus.

"Please, I didn't take nothin!" A young female voice said.

"I know you did, you little thief! Now, where did you stash it?" A man yelled, as he held and shook a girl.

Owww! You're hurting me! Please, I didn't take anything." The girl cried.

Little didn't like what was happening but it was none of his business really. As he passed by, he felt a strange pull that made him pause and look around. As he did, his eyes locked onto the girl and the pull increased. As Little let his mind open to the pull a name came to him: Riana. Little also saw the man pull back his hand to hit her.

As he walked closer, Little yelled, "Riana, what the hell is going on?" The shout distracted the man as he turned to see who had yelled.

The girl, Riana, had never seen the man that called her name but she just knew he would help her. Before she could say anything, the man holding her did, "Is this your brat? She stole my property and I want it back or I'll..."

"I didn't take anything," Riana yelled in her own defense. "There were several other kids at his booth. I was just walking by. I swear!"

The man pulled his hand back to strike Riana but Little jumped, caught it, and said, "I wouldn't do that. This girl has never lied to me and if she says she didn't take anything from you then she didn't."

"I know she did it! "The man yelled as he pulled free of Little. Little let him.

"What's your evidence?"

"She tossed it. I saw her..." The man started.

"I can't have tossed something I didn't have," Riana interrupted. "If I did would I have stayed when you started yelling. I moved out of the way but you grabbed me."

Little had been gently pushing the man's mind so that he would listen to and hear the truth of the girl's words. The man fought it but in the end, the man couldn't win.

The man had heard the girl and some how knew she was telling the truth. That didn't help his mood. He shoved the girl to Little, who caught her before she fell. "Take the brat. If I see her at my booth I'll have her hand!" The man turned and stormed off.

Riana was shocked that the merchant let her go but she had been telling the truth and if the man had asked, she would have even told him who did it. Now she looked at the tall handsome young man that had saved her.

"Thank you Sir, for helping me, Merchant Tonkin knows I don't steal. I may be poor but there's nothing wrong with making a real living."

"That's true, but I think you, and I should leave this area before Tonkin gets ideas. Do not fear I will not harm you in any way but I think you and I need to talk."

Riana could think of a few things that young man might want from her but that too was something she was unwilling to do.

Little had been listening as he started to pull the girl down the road. "Riana, I would never ask you to do anything that would cause you harm. As cute, as you are I'm into slightly older women. So please believe me when I tell you, you are perfectly safe."

"Ok. But why do you want to talk to me?"

"I think we can discuss that over a meal, you looked like you could use it," Little smiled at Riana.

Riana blushed when she heard the man call her cute and blushed again as he must have seen how thin and small she was. That was when she remembered why she was on that street to begin with.

"I'm sorry sir, I can't go with you. I need to get to the bread shop that's two streets over. I did some work for the baker and she said she'd save me a few small loaves."

"Oh, Well then I'd be happy to escort you there, my lady," Little bowed and extended his arm to her. She blushed and giggled as she took the arm. The man was sweet and he was being ever so kind. They went around the corner so they didn't go in front of Tonkin's booth and upset him further.

The old lady at the "Bread shop" was just about to close for the day when they got there.

"Hi Mrs. Nomy, I'm sorry I'm late."

"Oh my, I'm sorry I'm afraid I don't have anything for you today. Everyone seemed to want to buy bread today. I'm so sorry," Said the little baker.

"There's nothing? Do you have any of the flat bread; you always have that. Please I can't ... I've worked hard... ," Riana was going to cry. Her family was counting on that bread.

"I know you have child and I wish I could do better. I know how hard you work. I have only four of the flats left until after the bake in the morning." She pulled the small wrapped bundle out of her basket. "You take that and come by first thing in the morning and I give you three large loaves to take home."

Riana knew that three large loaves would keep them in bread for about a week and was a loaf more than she usually got. She walked over and hugging the baker. "Thank you Mrs. Nomy." She started to take the bundle but stopped. She also knew the little baker and the bundle would be part of her dinner that evening. "I can't take it. That's for your supper. You should keep it; you work harder than I do," Riana stepped back but it was hard.

Little just looked on, he knew the two women had forgotten about him, and the offer of the bread was generous but only if she had done a good deal of selling that day. When Riana turned down the small bundle of flat bread, he knew the girl's heart was true. He hatched a plan right then, to make sure that the girl, and her family would get two loaves a week, for a year, from the baker. If Riana stayed and continued as she was, it would be one worry off her mind.

"Child I know how things are for you and your family. Please I insist," Replied the little baker lady.

"No, it wouldn't be right. I'll see you in the morning," Riana turned and bumped right into Little's chest, and he had to grab her to keep her up right. "Oh I'm sorry sir," Riana paused and looked at the smiling baker, "Oh where are my manners. Mrs. Nomy this is..." again, Riana paused and looked at Little.

"Mr. Lee Tel. But don't let the name trick you," Little smiled. The little baker lady let out a good hearty laugh. Little said, "I'm afraid Riana's being late was partly my fault. Of your kindness, could tell me, if there is another baker that is still selling? I would thank you most graciously."

Mrs. Nomy was, taken a-back by the young man's charm. "Oh, well let me think. I think Mr. Carrick should still be working, but he's on the other side of town. Wait there is Mr. and Mrs. Larken. They do more pastries but they do have some, breads."

"There is Mr. Wells," Riana added.

"I would never send you down to his shop if you paid me 100 gold pieces. The hang-man's noose is to good for him," The little baker barked. She looked strait at Riana who cringed under the on slot and Little wandered just what that man had done to anger such a peaceful woman. "I won't even send you to that part of town. Please tell me you don't go there?"

"I live near that area. I don't go there but my mother sometimes has no choice. We can't afford to go other places," Riana hung her head in shame at how poor she and her family were.

Mrs. Nomy knew what she had said bothered the sweat child that had never stolen from her and worked very hard for what she could get. This time she moved to take hold of Riana. "I'm sorry dear. It's just that, I know what that man does, that makes me mad. If I could pay you more, I would. I really would, but with the Mr. Down with that chest cold of his ... It's all I can do to keep up with the bills."

"Mrs. Nomy, what does this Mr. Wells do that has you so ... disgusted with him, if I may ask."

"The man is a cheat and a scum that preys on the poor. He sells maggot and weevil infested flour, rice, and cornmeal. He claims his prices are low but at what he pays for the spoiled food, garbage that he takes in, and sells, he's making a fortune. What's worse is some of the other things he sells. Drugs, sex, I know he's tried to get his hands on this little one. I have a friend that tells me things. Some days I send poor Riana off on some of the strangest errands so that she isn't in curtain areas. He has his men sometimes round up young girls and boys to sell them as sex slaves. The magistrate won't do anything about it because they're getting kick backs, as well as freebees."

Little hated hearing things like this, he'd had his fill of it by the time he was ten years old, at the hands of his uncle. "That doesn't sound good at all. The man must have very good connections."

"He does. That's the whole problem."

Little was slowly growing more and more agitated. Again he knew it was really none of his business but it was just beyond him to know the people who's concern it was, were in on it.

Though it was warming his heart to know that the little baker lady cared enough about Riana to watch over her in such a way. No, he decided, something needed done.

"Riana if you would be kind enough to lead the way to the other bakery. It is getting late and with what I have learned I will not let you walk home alone."

"Sir, that's nice, but... ," Riana looked down, "I don't have the money to buy it."

Little knew it hurt her to say that but before he could do anything, the baker lady did. Mrs. Nomy reached into her pocket and took out a few coins, then handed them to the girl, "I would give you more but that might not be safe."

"Oh Mrs. Nomy, you don't have to..."

The little woman smiled and said, "Yes I do, I sold more than I should have, and I had a deal with you. I broke it. This is just compensation for the work you did. Now I'll not hear no more about it."


Riana was to overcome with surprise to respond. Little walked over, gave a hug to a very surprised woman, and slipped a gold piece into her pocket. He would still come back in the morning and arrange for the weekly bread. With a quick peek into the woman's mind he got the directions to their destination and taking hold of the stunned girl, he led her down the street.

As they walked Little felt, the girl's mind as it whirled and spun; sending out its confused thoughts. Little shielded them so it wouldn't go beyond him. "Riana you need to calm yourself. You're sending your thoughts out too wildly."

"Oh," Was all she said as she tried hard to control herself.

Over the past two months Riana had been slowly realizing that she could hear other people in her head; things that were not said aloud. It scared her at first but as she learned, it gave her the ability to know when she was coming into an area that was going to be a problem. That's when it came to her what the nice man had said.

"Sir..."

"Yes Riana," Little said to her mind, "I can hear you. Just as one day you would be able to hear me and others, if we let you." Little smiled, "That's what I want to talk to you about. Actually, that was why I stepped in. You are at a dangerous time and you could be harmed as well as harm others."

"I would never hurt anyone!" Riana stated aloud.

"Think your responses. We don't what the world to know. There are those that would love to get their hands on you."

"Then what ... What do you want with me?" Riana asked as she looked at Little.

Little smiled, "At the time it was to help you get away from that merchant. Now it is to see that you get training. It's something I do from time to time."

"Why?"

"I've seen the damage that can be done. When I was younger, I met a young man that was just coming into his powers, just as you are, but this young man's gifts came on fast. One afternoon a gang of boys attacked him. After about ten hits, the poor kid went crazy. His power manifested as fire. He fried the boys in the gang but it didn't stop there. The wave grew and grew. Three city blocks in every direction were set a blaze.

I don't know if he realized what he was doing or not, but a second wave washed over the area putting out most of the fire. He stood in the middle of all of that for a moment more then fell to the ground dead."

Little paused and looked at Riana. She had tears running down her face. Little stopped and took her into his arms, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean ... Please don't cry."

"That poor boy."

"It's alright. Please don't cry. I hate to see pretty girls cry. I'll never let that happen to you. I swear," Little said aloud.

Riana was about to say something when she sat up in his arms and looked around. She grew cold with fear, "We have to go back. I..."

"Riana, is it alright to look through your mind and see what you see?" Little asked as he turned and went a different way.

"How?"

"Just open your mind a little more. Don't fight it."

With that, he saw what had scared her. Just a few blocks from where they had been were a group of men. They were harassing people as they went by.

"Good girl. Let's get passed them and I want you to go on to the baker's. These men need to be stopped."

"Please don't leave me. Those men would hurt you bad if you... , " she cried.

"Don't you worry, I won't get hurt but those men need to be stopped, and they need to learn they can't do what they're doing."

Little had been moving faster than Riana had been expecting and they were now just a few safe blocks away from the baker's shop. Little put Riana down; "You go on and wait for me there. I mean it. Don't leave until I get there. Do you understand?"

Riana was going to argue but thought better of it when she looked at him. She suddenly had the idea that the bad men didn't stand a chance.

Riana held him a little longer. "I understand. Please don't be long," Then turned and walked away.


Little felt the girl's fear ease but he wasn't sure if it was for his safety or out fear that he wouldn't be coming back for her. He sent a soft caress to her mind as he made his way down to where the men were.

The men were right where they had been but now they were picking on an old lady. That was enough for him. He walked right into it.

Little grabbed the arm holding the old lady's bag out of her reach. "That is no way to treat a lady," Little said, as he took the bag. He released the man and moved next to the woman, and handed it back, "Come Grandmother, on you way now."

Little walked her though the group, then gently pushed her to keep her going. The old lady took the hint and kept moving.

Little stayed between the men, who were just barely that, and the woman. The men had been so in shock that it wasn't until the old lady was gone that they woke up.

"Who you think you are? Fuckin with us!" One said.

"Ya, you fuckin put yo fuckin hands on me!"

Little turned. The look he gave the men made them take a step back. "You want to try and hurt me?" he said in an even deeper voice. "I would clean the streets with you. You should go home and be thankful I'm feeling generous."

A man came running at him with a raised club. When the club came down Little just caught it.

"That was very rude!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.