Homecoming
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2008 by apolaustic

Drama Sex Story: Chapter 7 - Homecoming continues the story of the USS Yellowstone returning home after a six-month deployment. Petty Officer Meadows and his friends Bailey and Jones, just shared a wild experience in their last port of call, Izmir Turkey, that none of them will soon forget. Each man is eager to return home to friends and family, but that might not be easy as the secrets they share, rip their friendships apart.

Caution: This Drama Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Heterosexual   Cheating   Safe Sex   Oral Sex  

Five weeks had passed since Jones left the ship. During that time I saw Bailey maybe a dozen times in passing. Like all short timers that have come before him, his 'I don't care' attitude around the shop had become so enormous, that it was easier to just ignore him than it was to actually get him to do anything productive. Nobody expected him to do any work. In that facility, he exceeded everyone's expectations. Truth be told, Chief Mills was genuinely surprised when Bailey would actually make the effort to show up at morning muster.

Chief was even more surprised when Bailey showed up in brand new dungarees. His shirt was crisply ironed with regulation military creases. His name stencils were all embroidered instead of the more common hand written with a laundry pen. He had a new belt buckle and brand new Yellowstone ball cap. His boots were shined to a perfect reflection and he had even gotten a haircut. From all appearances, Bailey looked like a perfect squared away sailor. Everyone in the shop did a double take because we couldn't believe our eyes.

We were at muster for fifteen minutes before Chief finally decided to call him on it. "Petty Officer Bailey. To what do we owe the honor of your presence this fine Monday morning?"

"I just wanted to make sure that everyone knew."

"Knew what?" Chief asked, instantly regretting the decision.

"TEN DAYS AND A WAKE-UP!" He yelled, "Tomorrow morning I'm an official single-digit-midget!"

"I see," Chief shook his head while everyone else snickered. "Well, believe me when I say, and I believe I speak for everyone onboard, that day cannot come soon enough. That's all I've got. Everybody turn to!"

We all scattered to start our morning routines. I walked into the shop to get my morning coffee. After topping off my mug, I added the customary three packs of sugar and threw in a stir stick. As I turned to leave, I was startled to find Bailey standing before me.

"So I guess it's kind of ironic that first Jones and now you are getting off the Yellowstone before me?"

"Yeah, real ironic," I ignored him and focused on stirring my coffee.

"With you leaving for San Diego in three days and me out of the Navy in ten, I guess we'll probably never see each other again."

"That's the plan," I said as I started to walk away.

"Kevin, wait. I know you're pissed at me. I feel real bad about it."

I strained to control my anger, "When did you find a conscience?" I asked incredulously.

"I don't know. I guess I've been thinking."

"God help us."

"Seriously, I know I've been a real bastard and I want to apologize."

"Isn't it a little late for that?"

Bailey paused and waited for me to look him in the eye, "Is it ever too late for an apology?"

He sounded sincere but I wasn't about to let my guard down, "No. I guess not. But that doesn't mean that I have to accept it."

"Well I hope that you will."

"Why? I have to be totally honest; I've been looking forward to never seeing you again."

"I haven't."

"Oh yeah? Why's that?"

"You and Jones were my best buds in this hell hole. You guys made this place bearable and I never got the chance to thank you."

"Yeah, well buddies don't have affairs with their buddies' wives."

"I know. I fucked up. I almost got Jones killed and I lost two of the best friends I've ever had."

I had to laugh.

"What's so funny?" Bailey asked sheepishly.

"I was just wishing that Jones was here to see this. I never thought I'd see the day where Bailey actually felt sorry for anything."

"Well a lot has changed."

"Like what?"

"Everything, with all of us leaving, going our separate ways. I mean, I'm happy to be getting the fuck out of the Navy, but I'm going to miss you guys."

"Trust me, Jones won't be missing you."

"I know. I really fucked that up. How's he doing?"

"They didn't get a divorce if that's what you're asking. He and Edith are back in Ohio now."

"Good for them. Did Edith ever tell Jones ... about the abortion?"

"It's none of my business, but I got the impression that there are no more secrets between them anymore."

"I see."

"To answer your next question, I have no idea why Jones didn't come to the ship and kill you."

"I was wondering about that. I'll have to ask him next time I see him," Bailey cracked a smile.

"Next time you see Jones, you better start running."

"I was wrong about those two. I probably deserve whatever I've got coming."

I stood there in disbelief, "What the hell? Did you find religion or something?"

"No. I'm just looking at things differently now."

"I don't believe you."

"Well maybe in a few years when your enlistment is over and you're standing where I'm standing, you'll understand better. Everything I've done for the last four years is about to come to an abrupt end. In ten days my life is starting over. To be honest, it's kind of scary."

I was in shock. Who was this guy standing in front of me and what did they do with Bailey?

"What do you want me to say? 'All is forgiven, ' just so you can have a clear conscience to start your new life?"

"No. This isn't just about me. It's also about you."

"Now you're really talking out of your ass."

"You might think that I don't care about you, but I do. You'll be brewing about this for years unless you get some closure."

"I'll have my closure when I don't have to see you again."

"There you go lying to yourself like usual. You know I'm right."

"Whatever. Are you done?"

"Almost, Jennifer wants to say goodbye to you."

"Oh. I'll give her a call before I leave."

"That's not good enough, how about dinner tonight?" He asked.

"Not a chance. Not with the possibility of Kerri being around."

"We can go out. You pick the restaurant, my treat."

"I'll think about it. Cindy will have to be there. With me leaving Thursday morning, we're trying to spend as much time together as we can."

"Of course, I can understand that."

I stood there staring at Bailey for a long moment, "I have to ask: Does Jennifer know about your affair with Edith?"

"Yeah, she knew before the cruise."

"Is that why you guys were fighting when we left?"

"That was part of it..." His voice trailed off.

I stood there waiting for the rest. "Well?"

"Well what?"

"Are you going to tell me?"

"Probably not."

I wasn't sure why he couldn't tell me. Typical Bailey I guess. "So what are you two going to do after you become a free man?"

"She's got one more semester of grad work to finish at ODU. Who knows what will happen after she graduates."

"I know Jennifer will be fine. What about you? Are you going to look for a job or just sit around and milk your 'sugar momma' like usual?"

"This might surprise you but I'm looking for a job. I've already had a couple of offers to work in the shipyard."

Again, I had to laugh, "Now that would be ironic! Get out of the Navy so you could work on Navy ships! It's the same job, just a different uniform!"

"Yeah, but the pay is a lot better." He said with a grin.

"Maybe you should keep looking. Well, I've really enjoyed our little chat here but I've got to run. Dispersing is supposed to cut my check for my travel expenses this morning and I have a Dental checkup. I'll let you know about dinner." I turned around and walked away.


It took me a while to locate Cindy. She had compartment cleaner duty this week, so she was working down in female berthing doing cleaning chores. Since I was the wrong gender to be poking around in female berthing, I had to recruit someone to run in and find Cindy for me. I stopped the first female that I saw going into berthing and asked her to find Petty Officer Pace for me.

An eternity later, Cindy finally stuck her head out and greeted me with her trademarked smile.

"Geez, I sent that girl in to find you ten minutes ago. What took so long?"

"We're sorting the clean laundry. I was busy touching all the panties with all the other compartment cleaners and it took me awhile to catch my breath. What's up?"

I smirked at her comment, "The strangest thing just happened. Bailey apologized."

"That is weird. Did you make him grovel?"

"No, he did that on his own. He wants to take us out for dinner tonight."

"Cool. Free dinner! What time are we going and do I need to dress up?"

"Hold your horses. I told him I'd think about it."

"I think we should go."

"Just like that? Remember, I still fucking hate the guy."

"Sure. What's the worst that could happen?"

"Probably nothing worse than what's already happened. I'm just not ready to trust him."

"It's just dinner. Besides, in a few days you'll probably never see him again."

"When you put it that way, then I guess it's settled. Where should I make him take us?" I asked.

"We should make him take us someplace fancy and expensive, how about the 'il Porto' downtown at the waterfront."

"Never heard of it," I admitted.

"You'll love it. They have this chicken caprice that is to die for."

"Sounds good. Okay, I'll let him know that we're on for tonight."


A quick look at my watch showed that it was almost quarter after six. It was already dark. Cindy and I were starting to get a little chilled while we waited on the pier. Cindy especially since under her coat she was wearing a skimpy evening dress that barely covered her knees. Her black stockings offered little protection against the brisk December breeze coming off the bay. I stood behind her in a feeble attempt to help block the wind. I was semi-comfortable in my Dockers but I felt pity for Cindy every time a gust billowed the hem of her dress. I was starting to curse Bailey under my breath for being late when I finally heard Blue Betty approaching. Bailey guided the Mustang to the curb in front of us and Jennifer appeared out of the passenger door.

"Hi Jennifer, this is Cindy," I motioned towards Cindy.

Cindy held out her hand, "Hello."

"Well hello there! It's a pleasure to meet you," Jennifer took Cindy's hand and quickly shook it. "Brrr! Jump in, its freaking cold out here. Were you waitin' long?"

"About the usual when waiting for Bailey," I said.

Bailey leaned over the center console. "What are you talking about? I said 'six-ish'. You should know that means anytime before midnight."

Jennifer rolled her eyes while I shook my head.

Cindy quickly slipped into the back seat. I started to follow her, but Jennifer cut me off. "You've got longer legs. Sit up front." Jennifer proceeded to jump into the back seat with Cindy when she paused to whisper at me, "She's cute."

I smiled back at her and got in the front.

The four of us made small talk in the car while we drove downtown to the Norfolk Waterfront. Cindy was a little shy at first, being the newcomer to our group, but Jennifer's infectious country charm soon drew her out. By the time we made it to the parking garage twenty minutes later, Jennifer and Cindy were chatting like they'd been best friends for years. Bailey and I on the other hand barely spoke a word.

The 'il Porto' restaurant was a cozy little joint that reminded me of some of the authentic Italian restaurants I visited while in Naples. The moment we stepped inside, the aroma of sauces brewing in the kitchen attached to my senses. My stomach began to growl in anticipation.

We entered the dining room. Large French doors that could be opened to the outdoor seating area surrounded the room. Between each set of French doors, faux marble columns ran from floor to ceiling, each decorated with an ornate glass wall sconce. The lights were dimmed low and were barely brighter than the candles that burned on each table. Through the glass in the French doors, the bright lights of Portsmouth Naval Shipyard across the bay provided a scenic waterfront background.

The place was lifeless, probably due to it being a Monday evening. The Maitre de escorted us to our table and invited us to sit. As we removed our jackets, he pulled the chairs out for the ladies. Once we were seated, the Maitre de handed each of us a menu and told us to enjoy our meals.

A short moment later, our waiter arrived. "Good evening everyone. Welcome to the il Porto. My name is Peter and I'll be your server this evening." He reached for a bottle of oil that was on the table and poured a generous amount onto a dipping plate in the center of the table. From his apron he produced a grinder. He twisted the top several times over the dipping plate, leaving a generous helping of herbs and spices floating in the oil.

"I'll be back in one moment with some fresh baked bread. While I'm away, is there anything that I can get you from the bar?"

"Do you have a house wine?" Jennifer asked.

"Yes ma'am, we have a wonderful Chianti that was personally selected by our head chef."

"I'll take a glass of that."

"Excellent choice. And for you ma'am?"

"Sounds good to me. Make that two," Cindy added.

"Very good. And the gentlemen?"

Bailey spoke first, "White Russian."

Looks like I was going to be the odd one out, "Coke please."

Without another word, Peter finished marking his notepad and promptly walked away towards the bar.

Bailey looked up from his menu to take in the décor of the restaurant, "I never knew this place was here. How'd you know about it?"

"Cindy suggested it," I said.

Cindy looked up from her menu. "My mom came to visit me last year. She stayed at the Marriott across the street and we found this place by accident. Ever since that first night, I've been dying to come back."

"That's cool. So what's good?" Bailey asked.

"My mom had the eggplant parmesan and I had the chicken caprice. Everything was fantastic!"

"I wonder if there are any specials?" Jennifer pondered.

"I guess we'll have to ask Pete when he comes back," Bailey replied.

We each spent the next couple of minutes intently studying the menu. Peter returned with our drinks and a basket filled with bread that was so fresh out of the oven that it was still steaming. Peter read off the specials but I didn't pay any attention. I knew what I wanted. The ladies ordered first. Jennifer got a chicken scaloppini while Cindy stuck with her favorite, the chicken caprice. I had to find out first hand if the chicken caprice was as good as Cindy said it was, so I told Peter to 'make that two'. Bailey had to be different and broke from the chicken theme, instead ordering a Tuscan rib-eye from the specials menu.

"Does anyone want an appetizer?" Bailey asked the table.

"You're buying, so you can order anything you want," Jennifer said with a chuckle.

"Pete, add an order of bruschetta for us."

"Very good, I'll get this put in and I'll be back in a few minutes with your appetizer." Peter finished marking his notepad and collected our menus.

Jennifer waited for Peter to leave before she leaned over the table, "What the heck is bruschetta?"

Bailey put his arm around her, "Don't sweat it. You'll like it."

"It doesn't have anything weird in it, does it? You're always trying to get me to eat stuff I don't like."

Cindy and I looked at each. Our perverted minds instantly thought the same thing and we chuckled.

Jennifer looked at us, slightly confused about what we found so funny. She was a little slow to catch on, so Bailey had to help her out. "Baby, do you ever listen to yourself?"

"What did I say? Oh." Jennifer blushed, "You pervs! Kevin, you should know that I love eating that."

It was Cindy's turn to look confused. She locked eyes with me and gave me a furious stare.

Jennifer recognized her slip and quickly rushed to bail me out. "Opps! Don't worry Cindy. I've never laid a hand on Kevin. He just got an eyeful of Bailey and me one time."

"Oh." Cindy relaxed a bit, "How'd that happen?"

"Right after the boys got back. I couldn't wait to get my man home, so I sort of went down on him in the car."

"She just about caused us to crash," Bailey added.

Jennifer shrugged her shoulders, "You didn't seem to mind at the time."

"No. If I remember correctly, I was enjoying every moment. It was poor Kevin in the back seat who was nervous for all of us."

"You were flying down the interstate at eighty miles an hour with your eyes clamped shut in a moment of ecstasy. Of course I was nervous."

We shared a good laugh and that seemed to be the catalyst needed to break the tension between Bailey and me. Maybe a little too relaxed. With my guard down, Bailey started to hone in on Cindy, giving her a twenty questions routine. Some were harmless: 'Where are you from? What's your family like?' Some were not so harmless: 'How do you like being surrounded by men all time? Are the rumors about female berthing true? Have you ever hooked up with anyone while onboard the ship?' Some of his questions bordered on being flat out flirtatious: 'So do you like top or bottom?'

Cindy took his barrage of inquiries in style and I occasionally smiled reassuringly at her. I let Bailey do his thing, content that I had warned Cindy earlier about how he can get. Jennifer on the other hand was not happy about Bailey focusing all his attention on Cindy. Repeatedly, I caught Jennifer with her arms crossed and a look of disbelief that Bailey was flirting with another woman right in front of her. Bailey tried to be cool about it by putting his arm around Jennifer and occasionally kissing her on the cheek, but it was very obvious that she wasn't buying it.

Enjoying the drama unfold in front of me, I decided to let Cindy handle herself while I enjoyed my meal. The entertainment went on like this all through dinner. After the plates were cleared, Peter asked if we wanted to see the desert menus.

"Ugh. There is no way I can eat anything else," Cindy croaked.

"I'm good Peter, maybe just a cup of coffee?" I asked.

"Oh, that sounds perfect. Make that two," Cindy added with a kiss to my cheek.

Bailey looked at Jennifer who was uncommonly quiet for the last ten minutes, "Baby? You want some desert?"

"No thanks. A girl has got to watch her figure," She said tersely.

It took a second to register, but Bailey finally realized that he might be in the doghouse with Jennifer when he got home.

"Would anyone else like coffee or desert?" Peter persisted.

Jennifer shook her head, continuing her silent treatment.

"Another white Russian," Bailey said.

"Coming right up," Peter turned and walked towards the kitchen.

"Before the coffee gets here, I need to visit the rest room." I leaned over and kissed Cindy, "I'll be right back."

As I pushed my chair out to stand, Jennifer also backed away from the table. "I gotta go too." Forgoing any affection towards Bailey, she walked around the table and quickly fell in step behind me.

The two of us walked past the kitchen and followed the long hallway that led to the restrooms. I started to push on the door to the men's room when I turned to watch Jennifer enter the ladies room. She was standing there, not making any attempt to go inside.

"What's up?" I asked.

"I really don't have to go."

"Then why did you follow me?" I said confused.

"Two reasons. Bailey is pissing me off and I needed a break before I kill him. Second is that I want to talk to you in private."

I nodded my head knowingly, "I guess it's pretty obvious that he's flirting with Cindy."

"I know, right in front of me! I'll deal with that later though. Right now I have to ask you a question."

"Sure. What's on your mind?"

"Do you think Bailey will ever change?"

"What do you mean?"

"You know how he is. He's such a child. Everything is a joke and he's never serious about anything. Do you think he will ever grow up and want to settle down?"

I chuckled at the thought of Bailey growing up but the look on Jen's face told me she was serious. My smile dissolved and I tried to think of something encouraging.

"It's hard to say. I mean he actually apologized to me today. He said some things that I never thought I'd hear him say. That's a good sign, right? He's definitely going through a transition right now, but I don't know how what's going to happen when he's officially out of the Navy."

Jennifer stared at me. I wasn't sure if that was the answer she was looking for.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I'm pregnant."

My eyes flew wide open. Jennifer bit her lower lip and waited for me to digest.

"Does Bailey know?"

She shook her head no.

"What are you going to do?"

"I have no idea. It's still ... still early." She sniffled once and regained her composure. "The timing is all wrong. I have to finish school. Next week Bailey won't even have a job. I don't even know if he'll stick around when he finds out."

"You have to tell him. I don't know how he will react, but I'm sure he'll eventually do the right thing."

"That's the funny thing. Part of me doesn't want him to do the right thing. I think we both know that Bailey is not the greatest father material."

"You never know, he might surprise you."

Jennifer gave me a you-must-be-kidding look. "I never really thought much about my future before, but now that I'm pregnant, I really think I'd be better off kicking Bailey to the curb and start over with someone else. Someone more like you," Jennifer stepped closer to me until we were only inches apart. "I know you're with Cindy but if things don't work out."

To say that I was feeling panic was an understatement, "Whoa! I'm flattered that you think of me that way but waiting for me to become available is not an option for you to be considering."

"I know. I'm sorry. I just wanted you to know that I've always thought about you as more than a friend. Now that you're leaving, I have some regrets about never getting to know you better."

"I'm flattered. I truly am, but you've got to work things out with Bailey."

I stepped back from her until I bumped into the bathroom door behind me.

"I know. I didn't mean to dump my problems on you, but I'm afraid that I might never see you again."

"Why do you say that?"

"You're joking right? With the way things are between you and Bailey? You're going to leave this place and never look back."

"I'm only going to be gone a few months. Then I'm coming back to Norfolk."

Jennifer didn't say anything.

"Listen, how about when I get out to San Diego, I give you a call. We can stay in touch."

"I'd like that."

"Now, we better get a move on and get back to the table before they send out a search party."

Jennifer nodded and stepped into the ladies room. I pushed open the door behind me and stepped inside the men's room.

A few minutes later, Jennifer was waiting for me in the hallway when I came out. We said nothing else and returned to the table together. Our filled coffee cups were on the table but Bailey's white Russian was already nearing the bottom. The other restaurant patrons had already cleared out and our table was the only one still occupied.

Bailey looked up at us, "Damn you guys took your sweet time. What did you do? Hook up in the bathroom?"

"Fuck you asshole," Jennifer shot back as we both sat down.

"Wow, you don't have to get all bitchy on me. I was just wondering what took so long."

"Well I don't appreciate your tone."

"Take a joke woman. Geez."

I sat down next to Cindy. I could tell that she was also curious about what took so long, but I shook my head slightly when she started to ask. I leaned in and brushed her hair back with my nose. As I laid a gentle kiss on her cheek, I whispered softly. "I'll explain later."

The rest of the evening was a little awkward. Bailey paid the dinner bill with his credit card and we were soon on our way back to Norfolk. Jennifer obviously had a lot on her mind and she didn't want to talk about it. Bailey just figured that she was in 'one of her moods', so he decided to give her the silent treatment in return.

Cindy and I planned to spend the night at the Economy Lodge outside the base. After a long, silent car ride, Bailey pulled into the hotel parking lot. When we got out of the car, Jennifer gave me a long hug. As we held the embrace, I whispered into Jennifer's ear: "You need to tell him. The longer you wait, the harder it's going to get."

"I know. I'm just not sure I'm ready to hear his answer," She whispered.

"Better to know now than to find out later."

I let go of her, but she took her time before she released me. She stepped back and found her voice.

"You take care of yourself Kevin."

"I'll be fine. You do the same."

"I'll try." Jennifer motioned to Cindy, "It was very nice meeting you."

Cindy raised her hand to wave. "Likewise."

Jennifer got back in the car. I leaned down and waved a Bailey. He returned the wave and drove off, leaving Cindy and me standing on the curb.

"What the heck was all that about?" Cindy asked.

"Jennifer's pregnant."

"With Bailey's kid?"

"Yep."

"Oh my god! That poor girl!"

"That's exactly what she was thinking."

"Wait a second? He doesn't know?"

"Not a clue."

"Oh boy."

"Exactly, come on, let's go check in."


The next two days flew by faster than any I can remember. I was working on my transfer paperwork for personnel, so I had to touch base with every department on board to let them know that I was leaving: Medical, Dental, Master at Arms, Personnel, Disbursing, Repair department, Command Master Chief, 3M, Duty Section Coordinator, Safety, etc. The list went on and on. It was like one gigantic scavenger hunt to win your freedom. Of course more often than not the person I needed to talk to was not in their office, so I had to keep retracing my steps to collect all the signatures I needed. I felt like a ball in a giant pin ball machine by the end of the second day.

Around 1500 on Wednesday, I had finally collected everything I needed and I returned to Personnel with my completed checkout sheet. In return, I was handed all of my personnel records and my official stamped orders for San Diego. They peeled the sticker off my military ID that identified me as a member of the Yellowstone and then it was official. I was no longer a member of the crew.

My next stop was the ship-fitter shop to say goodbye to the shipmates who I've worked with hand and hand for the last two years. It was the end of the workday, so everyone was hanging out waiting for Chief to release them. I walked into the shop with the biggest grin on my face.

"Well boys and girls, this is goodbye, next stop San Diego!"

Everyone in the shop responded with a resounding "BOOOO!" I guess they were waiting for me.

I was half expecting a response like that, "Gentleman, Gentleman! Jealousy will get you nowhere."

Walking to my locker, I had to endure a few more jeers from the peanut gallery: "Good riddens!" "You won't be missed!" "NDT is for pussies!" I took it all in stride. After all, this was normal behavior and I expected nothing less.

You see, the Navy is in some ways a lot like prison. 'Shipmate' is just another way to say 'inmate'. Everybody has a fixed length of sentence to serve. When you get to the end of your incarceration, the other inmates are happy for you, but at the same time jealous that it's not them. They see somebody like me getting parole and all they can think about is how much time they have left before it's their turn.

There once was a time when I had over seven hundred days to serve on the Yellowstone. You can imagine the despair I felt when I saw someone getting out and I still had seven hundred days to go. When you're at that starting point, the road ahead feels eternal. When you're at the end looking back, it's strange how you can barely recall any details from your journey.

I reached my locker and dialed in the combination one last time. I took the lock and slid it into my pocket. Once open, I removed my two trusty oversized tool bags from the locker. Each bag was practically overflowing with the useful tools that I had accumulated during my days onboard. I opened the zippers on both bags, grabbed the bottom of each, and then quickly dumped the contents across the giant fabrication table in the center of the shop.

"I won't be needing these anymore!" I yelled as air tools, vice clamps, hammers, grinding bits ... Everything you would need to be a ship-fitter, sprawled across the table. None of my shop mates were expecting this and it took a few seconds for them to realize that I just cracked open a giant piñata of tools for them to fight over. What happened next was a free-for-all frenzy to grab as much of the gear as possible.

As I stepped back, a smile of satisfaction spread across my face. Usually you pick one person in the shop to bequeath your tools to. A protégé that you felt worthy to carry your torch after you're gone. I couldn't decide who I wanted to have all my stuff, so I dreamt this up instead. I was very pleased as I watched a couple of punches being exchanged over the ownership of my prized die grinder.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.