The Strongest Of Souls - Cover

The Strongest Of Souls

Copyright© 2008 by GoddessAine

Chapter 10

The 10th anniversary of Devon's birth was full of festivities. Early that morning, the King stood upon his balcony over looking the crowded city square. Devon at his side, the King announced his decision to step down from the throne on the eve of Devon's 17th year. A loud cheer erupted from the crowd. Word of Devon's adventure spread like wildfire since their return almost eleven days ago.

After Daegan brought Chadwick back to the city, Alana had assisted the healer in cleaning the wounds and aided in healing. Once a full recovery was assured, Alana took her leave and returned back to the woods. That was over a week, and she had not been spotted since. Chadwick had not remembered any of this for he was sedated. He had lost a great amount of blood and became unconscious during the flight with Daegon.

Once, he was well and recovered, he found that his part of the story was becoming legend. With Devon's future secure, Chadwick became bombarded with offers of land, titles and the hands of many nobles' daughters. None of which he had any use, or care for.

Periodically through the day and most of the night Chadwick stood on the top of the castle battlements, looking north into the forest. He felt alone, although he had many people around him, it was not their company he yearned for. The King began to question Chadwick's odd behavior to some of his advisors. Devon, who understood his father's reluctance to take any of these offers and of his father's solitary moments, briefly explained to the King. With a look of understanding in his eyes, the King left the throne room, in an effort to speak to Chadwick.

As the sun began to set on Devon's birthday, the hall was being set up for a feast. Once again, all the kingdom was invited as this was to be a very special night. Chadwick left the local metal smith and entered the castle stables. He saddled one of the Kings stallions and rode north into the forest. Shortly thereafter, he reached Alana's home. Outside the ancient tree, Daegan stood pawing eagerly at the ground. The steed looked at him, now coming to a halt outside the tree.

Chadwick dismounted from his brown charger, as Daegan neighed in welcome. He went up and pat the stallions neck; combing his fingers through his thick mane. "Hello my friend" He spoke quietly, as the horse nuzzled his palm. The wings previously sported by Daegan had disappeared, but Chadwick saw faint outlines from where they were. He never noticed the outlines before. Perhaps, he thought, they sprouted when needed?

A sound echoed from inside the tree. Alana stepped through the invisible opening, as her hand rummaged through a plum colored silken pouch, a pouch that matched her long flowing silken gown. Daegan neighed again, the sound causing her to look up. Surprise flashed through her blue eyes as she saw Chadwick. "Good evening" she spoke in a quiet yet confused voice. "I didn't know you were there", normally she sensed his presence. Perhaps she was just too distracted.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.