The Strongest Of Souls - Cover

The Strongest Of Souls

Copyright© 2008 by GoddessAine

Chapter 6

Chadwick stood in complete darkness. The sun had completely disappeared. There was not a star in the sky, nor light from any source. He lifted his hand to his face and still was unable to see a change in light. Fear gripped him. He stumbled on, aimlessly tripping over limbs and stones. In the darkness, his foot stepped upon something slick. He fell face first onto the ground. Quickly he rolled onto his back, carefully taking stock of his injuries. He carefully touched his injured face; it was a mixture on embedded objects and the fragrant stench of moist blood. He gently pulled bits of rock and wood from his broken skin, and with his right sleeve he wiped away the blood. Fatigue raced through his body. He felt tired, and decided to lie there a few moments, closing his eyes to the darkness.

Quickly his eyes jerked open. Had he heard something in the darkness? A new element of fear raced through his bloodied body. Perhaps it was a trick of his mind. He quietly lay there, trying to listen, to see anything. He sat up quickly. For a fleeting moment he thought he saw a glimpse of light. He kept his eyes wide looking, and open to anything he may see. Then the light appeared again. His eyes followed the light this time. It was getting so bright and so close; he thought it was going to hit him. The light was so intense that it illuminated the world around him. He quickly stood as the light came closer yet again.

From his standing position he could clearly what was going on. The light was in fact a small glowing marble-sized orb. The orb was being carried in the claws of a small black bat. The bat drew near him again and withdrew slightly into the direction it came. Unsure of what to do, Chadwick stepped forward a little into the direction of the bat. The bat drew away again, and Chadwick followed with another step. The bat seemed to understand and slowly drew away into the woods. Chadwick was hesitant, but fearing the extreme darkness, he followed obediently.

He continued to follow the bat, which was swooping side to side, avoiding trees. After what seemed like hours of traveling, he stopped to rest. Fortunately the bat understood, and it too stopped and waited.

Once again they started their travel. Chadwick still was stepping carefully over the debris ridden ground. The bat slowed when Chadwick slowed, careful not to get too far ahead. Soon they reached another clearing. His heart leaped at what he saw there.

In that clearing stood Alana, her hand outstretched. She was illuminated as though the moon beamed down upon her. He looked up; there was neither moon nor stars in the sky. Chadwick continued to follow, as the bat flew up to Alana and dropped the glowing marble into her outstretched hand. The bat flew in a wide arch and perched, hanging from the bottom of Alana's hand. Chadwick watched Alana carefully. She smiled at the bat. It was such a kind and caring smile. Chadwick stood in awe of her abilities with the animals.

Alana reached into her plum colored cloak and pulled out a ripe piece of melon. Chadwick walked closer, he felt eager to watch what transpired between the Sorceress and the night creature. She held the piece of fruit in front of the bat. Tiny webbed, hand-like claws reached and gripped the fruit. He watched the little creature lift the fruit to its tiny mouth and eat, gripping it with the tiny hand-like wing tips. Chadwick was amazed at the sight. Within moments, the bat had finished eating. The tiny form lept off Alana's hand and flew around their heads. Then it suddenly shot off into the darkness.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.