The Strongest Of Souls - Cover

The Strongest Of Souls

Copyright© 2008 by GoddessAine

Chapter 1

The wind blew and leaves rustled. Anthony Chadwick sat huddled around a small, starving fire and surrounded by a thin blanket for the meager protection it gave. It barely covered his broad shoulders and wasn't long enough to fit his tall frame. But, alas, he was still grateful he brought it. He would try to sleep, for sleep was something he lacked. He lay sprawled on the ground; his trusty long sword at his side, hoping that the little fire would keep any dangers at bay. At least he was trying to convince himself that. Finally he gave into sleep, but not the restful sleep he so desperately needed, but a fitful slumber full of thoughts of the recent somber occurrences.

It was the evening of the Summer Solstice, a fortnight prior to Devon's 10th year. Preparations were being made for the Solstice celebration and for Devon's apprenticeship initiation into the royal court. As countless generations before him, Devon was about to embark on his greatest journey yet. He was to be apprentice to the king himself, as did Anthony Chadwick when he was young. After many apprentices, and many years, it was Devon's turn. But this was to be different; Devon had acquired latent abilities from his mother's family which enabled him to sense the presence of danger. 'His mother's family. Helena. How she would have been so proud of our son'. Chadwick thought.

It had been 20 seasons ago when Chadwick had first met Helena. The Miller's daughter. His lips gave way to a slight grin.

It was a chilly autumn morning when a young Anthony Chadwick drove the heavy, horse drawn wagon to the grain mill. Chadwick, nearing the end of his years as an apprentice, was in charge of picking up the weekly supply of grain for the castle. He was tall and thin in his youth. It was shortly after he left the position as the King's apprentice, that he began the heart of his Knight training. The training; that made that tall, thin boy into a tall, fit man.

As Chadwick pulled up to the mill, people were scurrying about, carrying grain in one form or another. Rumors were that an upcoming storm was on the horizon, and that sent townsfolk into a frenzy. Chadwick hitched the wagon to a post and walked inside.

It was then that his eyes caught the sight of her. A girl, about his age, was hurrying back and forth, measuring and weighing parcels of grain and flour. Her pace was so fast that her skirts fluttered behind her with each step. Her hair was the color of the summer sun. Chadwick hung toward the back of the crowd, afraid to speak, when Richard, the Miller saw him. Richard was a large and jolly man. He had ginger colored hair that Chadwick always remembered as having a dusting of flour. As Chadwick recalled, Richard was always covered in grain dust.

"Aye! Tis the King's Lad" Richard spoke over the crowd. The blonde girl looked up, and their gaze met over the crowd. Richard not noticing any interaction between the two young people hastily walked over to Chadwick.

"Lad" he said, "We've been very busy. Would the King mind if I had his order ready for him later in the day?" Richard looked concerned; no one liked to disappoint the king. Chadwick spoke, "Do not worry Sir. I see you are quite busy. That will not be a problem." Richard smiled as he slapped Chadwick on the back, nearly toppling him over with the force. "What a good Lad." Richard said as he turned his back and once again returned to packing large bags of grain. Chadwick was trying to hide his embarrassment by avoiding eye contact with everyone. Everyone wanted a glimpse of the Kings personal helpers. He chanced a glance at the beautiful blonde girl. He must have betrayed his embarrassment, because when he saw her, she was giggling and smiling at him from behind a large bag of grain.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.