Blood Fang - Cover

Blood Fang

Copyright© 2008 by David Caspian

Chapter 4

Paul learned what he could from Marcus, before heading home late that night. By the time he got home it was twelve a.m. and he was exhausted from building mental shields from scratch, and practicing his shape-shifting. Much to their dismay he and Marcus discovered that Paul had indeed contracted new strains from animals that had scratched him during the day. By the time they had gone through them all they found: several dog breeds, a few cats, a rat, and finally a ferret which was technically illegal to have in this state, but the owner of the clinic knew the pet's owner, and decided the animal shouldn't suffer thanks to a few misguided bureaucrats. During his walk home Paul had come across a number of those same breeds and species of animals, and had heard their voices in his head quite clear, understanding every bit of what they were trying to say to each other. Most of the animals eyed him with a strange mix of curiosity and fear. What looked a man now somehow felt different to them. None approached him thankfully as proximity only to make the voices louder to the point he started to develop a splitting headache. His new mental shields were not meant to keep anything out yet: he and Marcus had not been able to get that far in what time they had left, before he had to get home and get some sleep. His boss had made sure to give him tomorrow off, but Paul had a feeling he would need all the rest he could get.

Arriving at his place, he unlocked the door and made his way inside. Rachel had been asleep on the couch, her chestnut hair splayed over one the pillows resting against the far arm of the piece of furniture. When he closed the door behind him, she immediately jerked awake.

"Sorry." Paul said, apologizing for waking her.

"No worries." Rachel said glancing at the digital clock on top of the TV.

"You're home late. Did you decide to go out with vampire after all?" Rachel said. Paul thought he detected the slightest bit of jealously, but shook off the notion.

'Probably just my nerves. They must be out of whack with all that is going on.' Paul thought.

"I spent the time with Marcus. You have no idea the mess I'm in." Paul said, sitting down next to her and laying it all out.

"You've got to be kidding." Rachel said as he finished explaining.

Paul shook his head as he replied, "I'm afraid not."

"I'm surprised you look as good as you do. I would be completely haggard by now." Rachel admitted, admiring his fortitude.

"Marcus says my internal shields are good, but I'm sure now that I'll have to pay him another visit tomorrow, just to put some shields against the outside world in place. The headache I have right now is excruciating." Paul said rubbing his temples, wishing that the pain would just go away.

"Can't say that I envy you; I have only one beast to keep track of, and that can be difficult enough if I don't pay attention to it. The shields he helped you put up must be on the edge of bursting." Rachel commented.

"They seem solid enough for now. Thankfully I'm picking up things quickly he says, though not quickly enough for my tastes." Paul said bowing his head for a moment. When he raised his head to look at Rachel he noticed her deep in thought, and he had peculiar feeling in response to the look of curiosity on her face.

"What are you thinking?" Paul asked, deciding to listen to the feeling.

"I was just wondering what it would be like to be a lion. I was always fascinated with them as a child. I've actually visited the small zoo downtown that has a lion enclosure." Rachel said, with a sense of child like wonder on her face, before she eyed him expectantly. It took a moment for Paul to follow her line of thought to its conclusion.

"I am not turning into a lion Rachel." Paul said, unwilling to even consider such a silly idea, least of all the fact that he it would require him to get injured by the animal's claws or teeth to even accomplish such thing.

"But..." Rachel began.

"No!" Paul said pointing at her with emphasis.

"Look you wouldn't even have to be injured." Rachel said her curiosity and excitement overriding her good sense. It was her choice in wording that stopped him from delivering an automatic response.

"What did you just say?" Paul asked.

Rachel suddenly realizing her blunder replied, "Nothing."

Heading to the kitchen Paul picked up the telephone on the counter and dialed the number Marcus had given him.

"Hello?" Marcus' sleepy voice said, obviously he had been asleep when the call came in.

"It's Paul. Did you lie to me when you told me I can only get a new strain from biting or scratching?" Paul said. Somewhere in the back of his mind he could almost see the older gentleman trying to wake himself up, as Paul's question had hit him with the force of a ton of bricks.

"Well..." Marcus hesitated.

"You lying bastard!" Paul shouted as he suddenly became filled with rage.

"Now just calm down Paul." Marcus said, glad that he was safe miles away from his Alpha's wrath. Rachel could feel the power, fueled by his anger pouring off of him, and practically scorching her in the other room. Animals throughout the neighborhood began to speak out in protest, and the night was filled with their sounds.

"Quiet!" Paul shouted in annoyance, his will pouring out to each of them, and just like that they were suddenly silent. Not a single creature within five city blocks, dared move or speak.

"Well that was impressive." Rachel said, and immediately regretted when his gaze fell on her. Predatory eyes beheld, whether they were wolf or some other beast she did not know, nor did she care as they seemed to burrow into her. Any other comments quickly died in her throat under the menace held in them. When he turned his attention from her Rachel barely resisted the impulse to sigh in relief, lest she risk those eyes finding her again.

"You better start talking old man. I can already feel those shields of mine crumbling, and we both know I don't have to be in the room to get at you." Paul said as he registered their connection loud and clear. He could almost smell the fear coming off Marcus as he realized just how bad he had blundered.

"My king I meant only to not worry you. The answer To your suspicion is yes: as long as a foreign strain enters your body, be it by flesh blood, or some other transfer, the new strain will become a part of you. I apologize for withholding such information from you. I assure you it will never happen again." Marcus said as calmly as he could. That same calmness slowly leaked across their connection, and Paul began to calm down.

"See that it doesn't. I will visit you tomorrow. Be up early." Paul said. He could hear Marcus apologize again, even as he hung up the phone stilled irritated at man. Retiring to his room he growled as he walked, using it as an outlet to vent his frustration with both Marcus and Rachel.

The next morning, before the sun rose, Paul was already knocking on Marcus' door. After the third knock Marcus opened it and showed him in.

"We have a lot to talk about Elder." Paul said, allowing the other man title he held in the pack. Marcus recognized it as a reluctant show of respect, and he could hardly blame Paul for his reaction given the circumstances. They sat down at the dining table again like before, but it was clear now that their relationship had changed, perhaps permanently if Marcus was not careful. He understood quite clearly that he had overstepped his bounds, and was at fault for Paul's sourness. As powerful as he was, Paul was still a young man, new to the life of the Were in all practical matters.

"I am prepared to explain all that I can. What does my Alpha require of me?" Marcus said with all humility.

"Tell me everything you know." Paul said sitting back in his chair.

"That will take some time." Marcus commented.

"Then we will be here for awhile. My rivals possess knowledge I do not have, and I hate being kept in the dark. If you want me as your Alpha, you will give me the information I need to lead: culture, relevant, history at the very least. Tell me what I must expect and give me your counsel. While I may not always follow it, I will take it into account." Paul said.

"And if I hold anything back?" Marcus asked tentatively.

"Then I'll leave you to fend for yourselves, and be on my way." Paul said coldly.

Marcus nodded in understanding: he had seen other Alphas come and go. He understood what it took to be a good Alpha, and had seen many lose their coveted place in pack. Each of them had been too Human. Blood Fang possessed a ruthless cunning they were incapable of. If Marcus held back even a little and Paul sensed it, the younger man would leave the pack leaderless. Marcus knew the pack had no one who was up to the challenge. The former Alpha had beaten them into submission far too well. Without a strong Alpha to give them strength from his/or hers presence they would crumble and be swallowed up by another pack. There only chance to survive was with him leading them.

Taking deep breath Marcus said, "I suppose that's a fair deal. As you have already guessed, our culture depends on dominance. Much like the wild packs, we structured into individual hierarchies, making up each group. Only Alphas and their mates are given names. Normally we are called by the city we live by or after the ruling Alpha. Our domain is the wilderness. We are separated from the Humans, and have always remained the outsiders. If they knew who we were they would no doubt hunt us, for we are more frightening to them, than even the vampires. We represent the wilderness that does not live by society's laws. We are free and strong.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.