Blood Fang - Cover

Blood Fang

Copyright© 2008 by David Caspian

Chapter 1

Lying on the cold tile Paul sucked in gulps of air, trying to steady himself. Rising slowly he washed his mouth out to rid of the taste of bile.

His body still ached as if every muscle had been torn and was re-knitting.

Paul Lesner now at 18 years of age had always known something was different but it wasn't until feel his body shifting that he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt. He had seen all the horror movies, so he knew what it was.

Looking in the mirror on the front of the medicine cabinet he saw a good looking face with brown eyes. Paul had tan skin and an average body.

Most of his body was covered by hair; he definitely didn't fit the imaged of a male model or the physical ideal.

Even now he could remember the exquisite pain it had caused, but he had to know. Focusing despite his body's reluctance he willed himself to shift.

At first there was some small hope that it had just been a dream, like all his other experiences. At first nothing helped and he gave a sigh of relief.

Then he felt it deep inside, but it was different. There was no suddenness to it like before.

Now the change was slow as his body now knew the blueprint it had to follow. Muscle and bone shifted, flesh stretched seamlessly.

Nerve centers shut off to avoid pain, recognizing that the change was not a danger. His body was learning quickly and just as quickly applying what it had learned.

In moments Paul's view was drastically different. Now he was close to the ground and could feel some extra.

It's the oddest thing when you suddenly realize you have a tale. An extra stretch of bone and flesh it moves without thought.

Paul had always wondered how dogs made it move and tried to use it like a leg or foot. Like an extra appendage it moved where he told it to.

"Well that's interesting." Paul said expecting only a fellow canine could understand him at this point.

Walking out of the bathroom he felt the wooden floors under his paws. Paul half expected to stubble and fall but it felt all so natural.

He had many dreams about walking as a wolf without the shifting. Last night had been the first that he had shifted from man to wolf.

Thanks to all that dreaming he knew how to walk and his body just did what he told it to do.

As he moved around Paul had an urge to get out of his apartment came over him. That part seemed not liked being cooped up inside and wanted to be out in the open.

Walking over to the doorknob looked down at his paws realizing something. Paws aren't really designed to open doors.

Rearing up on his hind legs he balanced himself against the door as he tried to open it. Using both paws he tried use them to turn the thing, but they kept slipping.

There was simply no way to grip with them. He thought about using his mouth but the thought of spit all over it didn't appeal to him.

The desire to get out overwhelming he felt something stretch inside him, but it wasn't his body. It was impossible to describe beyond that for he had no words.

Like an invisible hand whatever it was turned the handle and swing open the door making it slam against the wall.

Startled Paul jumped back expecting someone to come through, but there was no one. Peaking out and looking this way and that only helped to confirm it.

Still feeling the powerful urge to get outside Paul decided to file it away for later and headed towards the stairs.

Now while walking and many other actions had been practiced, stairs are an acquired skill. Generally wild animals don't use them.

Unfortunately Paul in his overconfidence didn't happen to take in this little fact as he took his first step and missed. What happened next was a sequence of tumbling, jolts and pain.

Crashing down the stairs, he landed in a heap at the bottom. Getting up right away he winced as new aches spread through his body.

After that spill Paul made a note to be more careful. Making his way to the door leading outside he tried to repeat what happened upstairs.

Sure enough willing the door open seemed to work, and the door slammed open.

Heading outside he felt the cold night air rush over him as he stood just beyond the doorway. A few cement steps lay before him and he took his time with them.

Once he was safely on the sidewalk he headed off to his right in a trot enjoying the sights. His eyes were a lot keener those of humans and some would argue a dog's.

Everything was in color but it also was brighter too when he looked around. Everything seemed more interesting, and then there were the scents.

A wolf's nose as you well know is better than that of a human's and Paul was taking in everything this small little city offered. Bear Lake had once been a hunter's paradise. Now those bears that were left after all that hunting had moved on.

Local authorities were forced to protect them from hunters and now it was illegal to hunt them anymore. This kept a small population of them in the area and the locals kept clear of them.

Heading out towards Grizzly Canyon Paul made his way into the woods and away from the city lights. While they were interesting it was the woods themselves that called to him, much like the moon.

Once in the forest Paul ran feeling the earth and dry pine needles beneath him. There was certain joy in running he had felt all his life.

He had always loved it. Even when trying out in high school he had proved himself to be one of the top runners in California.

Right then he ran faster than he ever had before. The change had brought his wolf to the surface and they were one.

He ran like a young pup, careless to the world. There was only the joy of freedom and feeling power rushing through his veins.

It was like pure electricity but so much more. He had never felt so alive.

Slowing down as he neared the canyon he panted letting out body heat. His tail wagged with excitement and laid down in the grass.

Lying on a grassy hill at the entrance to the canyon, a small brook ran just beyond it going east to west.

Rolling in the grass Paul loved the feel of it against his fur and just enjoyed himself.

A snap of a twig brought him to his feet alarmed. Every instinct in him screamed danger as he caught a new scent.

It was fresh and he was downwind as the wind suddenly shifted. He heard the growl before he saw the bear.

An aggressive male it charged. Without realizing it Paul bared his teeth and actually ran to meet him.

Like two furry missile they collided with teeth jarring force. The bear's claws tore into his fur and Paul bit into his chest as they rolled.

Warm blood gushed into his mouth. The bear howled even as it tried to get him off.

Locking his jaw Paul held on until he was on top at the end of the roll. The jostling had ripped a large hole in the bear's throat as it bled out.

Weakening it could no longer fight as it began to die. While the bear had been quick Paul had been much quicker by going for his exposed throat.

It had been instinct. Without thinking he had seen it and gone for the kill.

The bear shuddered, taking his last breaths before Paul began to feed.

The taste of blood and flesh drove him wild as he feasted on his fallen foe. When he had finished he felt drowsy and fell asleep in the grass beside the remains.

Slipping into a deep sleep Paul found himself in yet another. In it he wandered the woods on all fours but something felt different.

Looking around he noticed that he was higher up from the ground than he had been in wolf form. For as far back as he could remember the only animal he had ever been was a wolf.

Walking west he found Bear Lake and went to the edge to look at himself, like he was looking into a mirror.

It was then that Paul awoke from his dream.

Blinking he looked around finding himself in the same place he had dreamed of. He could see the clear waters and then the image of a bear as he moved closer.

"Ok it seems like this is getting worse." Paul said to himself.

Sitting back on his haunches he tried to figure out how this had happened.

In a flash of memory he felt the raking of the bear's claws on his back, and it all made sense.

Being a big horror fan he had heard of the bite of the werewolf changing him. What if this was something similar? Maybe there was something inside him that made the bear's DNA a part of him.

What was happening to him? Would he be like this the rest of his life, afraid of being scratched or bitten by a new type of animal?

Willing himself back into human form he felt himself change. The hair shed itself falling away in clumps onto the grass. His body shrunk in size and shape until he was again his human self.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.