Bus Stop - Cover

Bus Stop

Copyright© 2008 by MissLynn

Chapter 2

Jessie barely hung up the phone after talking to Chad when it rang. Thinking it was going to be him, she quickly answered it.

"Did you forget something?"

"Jessie?"

"Oh, sorry mom. I thought you were going to be someone else," Jessie checked the time as she explained.

"Jessie was that you on the radio station this morning?" her mom asked.

"What station are you talking about, mom?"

She smiled as she thought about the private conversation she had with Chad. Jessie made sure that he had her telephone number this time. She wasn't quite ready to share anything about Chad with her mom though.

"I'm your mother, Jessica Ralston, and I know my own daughter's voice. Did you let a strange man take you to dinner last night?"

"Mom, do you really think I would go somewhere with a stranger?" Jessie crossed her fingers that her mom would believe her.

"I raised you to be a good girl," her mom explained.

"Yes, mom, I know you did. I really have to leave for work now."

"Don't use that excuse with me."

"It's not an excuse, mom. I have an important meeting in a little while and can't be late," Jessie told her.

"You call me after work and tell me about this new man," her mom demanded.

"When I have a new man to talk about, I'll be sure to let you know. I love you, mom," Jessie said. She hoped it would put her mom off the subject now.

"I'll be waiting for your call." Jessie heard the demanding tone in her mom's voice.

With a few minutes to spare, Jessie walked into her office, checked messages and grabbed her notes for the meeting. The first thing she heard as she walked down the hallway was Chad telling a listener a funny story. She smiled as she realized that some of the office personnel listened to him.

Two hours later the meeting was over and Jessie returned to her desk. A huge bouquet of flowers was sitting on the corner. She reached for the tiny card tucked into the greens and sat down to read it. The note was short but so sweet she felt her heart speed up. Scrawled in big letters were the words 'Bus Stop by the Hollies and Chad's signature. Jessie thought about how close their introduction fit the lyrics and smiled.

At the end of the day, Jessie tried to figure out how to get the bouquet home. The day was windy and it was about four blocks to her bus stop. The flowers would be tattered before they made it home. With a sigh, she accepted that they would have to remain on her desk for the night. She took the card from her desk drawer and slid it into her purse before closing the door and making her way to the elevators.

Jessie smiled as the wind caught her coat. The clouds in the sky promised more rain but she didn't care. The weather had always intrigued Jessie, even as a child, when she watched the storms from her bedroom window. Everyone around her was worried about the lightning, or the wind, but she would sneak outside and sit on the porch. The beauty is what she saw then as she did today.

Less than a block from the corner, Jessie saw Chad, in a group waiting for the crosswalk sign to change. She picked up her pace and almost jogged toward him. When it was okay for him to cross, he looked up and spotted Jessie. Chad grinned as he too almost ran. About ten feet away, Jessie stopped and let Chad come to her.

"Thank you for the flowers," she began. "They're gorgeous."

"There's a florist on the corner by the station. I saw the bright colors and knew they were for you."

They stood there with the crowds splitting around them. Neither paid attention to anything but each other.

"I enjoyed dinner last night," Jessie told him.

"So did I. Will you join me again tonight?"

"I can't tonight, but—"

"Or maybe go see a movie?" Chad added as she spoke.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.