Indian Fighters: On To California
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2007 by aubie56

Two days later, right after supper, Abe Samuel started looking very bashful. This was totally out of character for Abe, since he normally had full control of himself and whatever situation he was caught in. Somehow, Abigail could tell that this time was different. Abe approached Abigail very cautiously and in a timid voice, asked "Miss Abigail... I was hopin'... I wish... uh... will ya walk with me a few minutes?"

"Shore I will, Abe. Where ya want ta go?"

"Nowhere in particular, I jus' wanna walk with ya fer a few minutes, ifen ya don't mind."

"Why, Abe, I'd be pleased ta go anywhere with ya. Jus' give me a minute ta git the last of these dishes washed an' I'll be ready ta go."

"I'll he'p ya, ifen ya like, Miss Abigail."

"Thank ya, Abe. That's mighty kind of ya." Actually, Abigail didn't need any help, she had the job so well organized, but she was pleased at the offer, so she took the extra time to let Abe help. They had the last of the dishes washed, rinsed, dried, and put away in the back of the buckboard in only a little more time than it would have taken for Abigail to do it by herself, but Abe took every possible opportunity to touch her hand while they were working, and she found that she was thrilled by the attention.

Once that job was finished, they both made sure that they were adequately armed and set out to walk a bit away from the camp. They started out not touching each other, but walking very close together. Strangely distracted, Abigail did something that she would normally never have done—she tripped on a rock as it rolled from under her boot. She staggered a little, and Abe reacted with phenomenal speed to grasp her arm to keep her from falling.

"Oh, thank you, Abe! I don't know how I could of been so stupid as ta trip over that damned rock. I guess I jus' wasn't payin' enough attention ta where I was goin'."

"My pleasure, Miss Abigail! I wants ta he'p ya any ways I kin."

"Why, Abe, ya're so sweet! I don't know what ta say, 'cept "thank ya."

"There ain't no need ta say anythin', Miss Abigail. It jus' makes me feel good ta be around ya! Oh, shit! I shouldn't of said that. Now, ya'll chase me off!"

"NEVER! Abe Samuel, I likes ta have ya near me. I been kinda partial ta ya fer a long time, but I didn't think that ya cared anythin' 'bout me. After the way the Comanches treated me, I didn't think any decent man could care 'bout me."

"Miss Abigail, there weren't no way ya could of done anythin' 'bout that, and any "decent" man would know it. No "decent" man would hold that again ya; instead, he would be proud of the way ya lived through it as well as ya did!"

Abigail could hear the quotes around "decent" and was moved to tears at Abe's comment.

"Oh, Miss Abigail, I didn't mean ta make ya cry! Please forgive me fer whatever it wuz I said what upset ya so."

"Oh, ya wonderful man, I ain't upset! I'm cryin' cuz I never thought ta hear a man say sumpthin' like that ta me. It was music ta my ears! Ya can't never know how much I appreciate hearing ya say sumpthin' like that." She turned and grabbed him in a hug so firm that he was momentarily taken aback. He could feel her breasts press into his chest and was thrilled and excited by the sensation, but he could also feel her gun in the shoulder holster and knew that she was a woman not to be trifled with!

Abe tentatively put his arms around Abigail and hugged her gently in return. She laid her cheek against his shoulder and held on for what seemed like forever to the both of them! Abe suddenly remembered the potential danger of not being alert while they were so exposed away from camp at night and broke the embrace, much as he hated to.

"Miss Abigail, we both needs ta git up early in the mornin, soz I think we better be gittin' back ta camp."

"I know, Abe, but ya've made me feel so good that I don't want this mood ta ever end. Kin we go walkin' again some time?"

"Shore kin, Miss Abigail. How 'bout tomorrow night?"

"Oh, yes, that would be perfect. I can't hardly wait!"

They turned back toward camp and Abigail and Abe held hands the whole way back. Their attraction for each other was apparent to all who saw them together, and it generated a few pleased smiles among their friends in the wagon train. John and Cissiee both noticed how happy and cheerful Abigail was for the rest of the evening. This was a new side of Abigail that they were both very pleased to see.

The wagon train was coming into a area of sand-covered plains interspersed with miles of scrubby brush. Neither the scout nor Abigail, riding point, could see a soul clear to the horizon. This they could understand, they couldn't imagine any reason why anyone would want to live in this country. Abigail happened to be looking to the right where she saw a wild horse wander from one bunch of brush to another. The horse had gone about a hundred feet when it suddenly disappeared! The ground opened up and swallowed the horse. This was a sink hole in action. Her first thought was to rush over to try to help the horse, but she restrained herself in time; she could just as easily be caught in a sink hole if she was too reckless. She reluctantly abandoned all thought of going to the horse's aid.

That afternoon, the wagon train reached a ridge line as the wind started to rise. Sand began to blow; it wasn't dangerous, but it sure was aggravating. Oscar had to bring the train to a halt while they rigged cloth masks for the mules to try to keep out some of the sand. They had hardly resumed the trek when Jim Baker, the scout, came riding up to Oscar to report that he had spotted a large cave where they could spend the night out of the damned wind. An hour later, the lead wagon had reached the cave and Jim and Abigail were directing the drivers how to arrange the wagons.

Fortunately, the cave was big enough to take in all of the stock, along with the people, so they were all able to escape the wind and sand. There was some water available inside the cave, but it was filled with minerals and had a foul taste, so the people made do with the water they carried. However, the stock was not so picky and drank all of the water they needed.

After supper, Abe came up to Abigail and asked her if she wanted help with the dishes, tonight. Of course, she said that she did, and Abe "helped" her wash, dry, and stow the dishes. Abe said, "Miss Abigail, I know I asked ya ta walk with me tonight, but it would be damned stupid for us ta go out in that sand an' wind, so I guess we need ta skip it tonight. I shore am sorry, but I don't know what else ta do."

Abigail answered, "We can jus' go a little deeper in the cave an' sit an' talk, ifen ya want ta."

"That's a good idee. I wouldn't of suggested that, but I shore would like it, ifen ya would be willin' ta do that."

"OK, let's go. We kin go far enough ta be out of earshot, but not so far we gets lost."

They went, hand-in-hand, deeper into the cave, but not so far that they couldn't see the glow of the fires and hear the murmur of random conversations. They found a place to sit, and it wasn't long before Abe had an arm across Abigail's shoulders. They sat in joyful silence for a while, until Abe said, "Miss Abigail, I shore does like yer company."

"I like yers too, Abe. But I would like it better ifen ya called me Abi, Miss Abigail sounds so formal."

"That would be bully, Mi... uh... Abi. I would be downright flattered ta be able ta call ya that."

They talked of many things that evening, and had progressed to gentle kisses by the time they had to return to camp. This time, they walked the few yards back, not hand-in-hand, but arm-in-arm. Not only that, they both had the silly grins of love on their faces. Yep, it was obvious to John and Cissiee that Abigail was in love, and they were both happy for her. On top of that, Cissiee was already considering suitable candidates for John to look over!

Oscar marked this cave on his map as a good place to stop overnight. They were on their way the next morning and making good time, since the wind had died down. Abe was covering the right wing when he heard some shooting. He didn't want to do anything foolish, so he rode toward the sound while watching carefully for signs of sinkholes, quicksand, and Indians. There was a wagon on its side with a man, a woman, and 2 children huddled down behind it. A Negro man was standing beside the wagon and holding a pistol in his hand. Abe couldn't tell what to make of this until he saw the Negro point the pistol over his head and fire three quick shots. He then squatted down and proceeded to reload the pistol. Abe fired one shot in the air and sped up as he rode toward the overturned wagon.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.