Dagger Of Kija - Cover

Dagger Of Kija

Copyright© 2003-06-09

Chapter 7

The braziers' red glow cast barely enough light to reveal the stone bridge ahead. Gareth paused on the near side for Pteri and Pyran to catch up, then urged them ahead to the other side of the gate and safety.

The Nangen guard crashed through the doorway behind them, but it was easy to see their lead was too great. They would have to report failure to the Prince, if they could find him. Somehow Gareth doubted he would be in the mood for mercy.

"To the Gate," The badly burned Do instructed, catching up to his companions, who had stopped at the far end of the bridge.

"Sure thing, Gareth," Pyran agreed, and the shrugged, "soon as you tell me how."

In the gloom of the braziers Gareth nearly didn't see that the dark space between him and the faintly glowing Gate was in fact... space!

The drawbridge was up!

"Why that dirty..." he muttered. "Where is the release switch?"

"Where else?" Pyran pointed back over the bridge to the squad of waiting guards. They knew their prey was cornered.

"Now would be a good time for a plan, dear," Pteri smiled grimly, hanging onto the Dagger like it was a snake.

Gareth shook his head. Still too weak from Kija's tortures, he knew he couldn't knock back so many guards. They lined the bridge from one parapet to the other, their not quite human eyes glowing red in the brazier light.

"I have waited a long time to say this, Gareth," Pyran sat on the waist high parapet, dangling his legs over the abyss. "I have a plan."

"You do?" Gareth asked, shocked. "Well, what is it?"

Pyran looked down the length of the bridge to the switch, then at the heavily armored soldiers crowding the bridge.

"Got enough magic left for one more spell, Pteri?" he asked, a thin smile across his lips.

With no real choice, Gareth agreed to Pyran's plan. Slowly, he slid his blade from its sheath and stood between the guards and his wife. Pyran stood at his side with a dagger in each hand.

"It's your plan, Pyran," he whispered, "You say when."

Pyran crouched a bit, ready to spring at the guards, who had begun prepare for battle, however brief they thought it would be.

"Now!" Pyran shouted, turning invisible. This tactic wouldn't help against such a tightly packed enemy, but it must have made them wonder what the northerners were up to. Especially when Gareth's next move was not to charge, but to... cover his eyes.

Pteri let loose a tremendous blast of Hellfire, aimed right at Gareth! The flash lit the whole cavern, yet barely warmed the stout warrior, as it generated hardly any heat. Not having enough strength for a full Hellfire, nor, Gareth hoped, really wanting to harm her husband of thirty Yuri, Pteri had released only the light aspect of the spell. Her studies in splitting spells once again came to their aid.

The reaction of the guards was quite different. The intense light of Pteri's Hellfire, blinded their eyes long accustomed to the weak brazier light of the caves.

Now it was Gareth's turn.

"Stupid guards!" He shouted at the top of his voice. Trained in the theater by the Muses, the Do's full volume was loud indeed. He just rather hoped the ceiling wouldn't cave in! "If any of you weaklings survive my attack, unlikely as that seems, as there are only twenty of you, I am sure the Prince will finish you off!"

His theatrics evidently worked, as the next sound they heard was the grating of the drawbridge slowly lowering. The guards recognized the sound too, but were completely confused about who had thrown the switch. Then they realized that all the Do's shouting covered what little noise Pyran made as he hopped upon the handrail and ran along it to the other side.

Dangerous, certainly, Gareth thought, but he proved that Greyshadow wasn't the only acrobat in the family!

"Thanks, Pyran!" Gareth shouted as he and Pteri stood before the main gate "Give our love to Greyshadow!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.