The Quest For The King's Magic - Cover

The Quest For The King's Magic

Copyright© 2007 by GLSGareth

Chapter 5

Save the Kingdom! How easy they made it sound. I picked up another acorn and tossed it to the cluster of squirrels surrounding the Kugnean Chapel. They chattered at me indignantly. What was their problem? I had been tossing them their favorite food, right? Lots of acorns here... piles and piles.

Then I remembered where all the acorns had come from.

"Axe practice," I reflected aloud. "Sorry, squirrels. I am done now."

"Talking to the animals?" A sarcastic voice from behind made me wonder whether it was going to be my week for people to sneak up on me. "Apologizing to squirrels for stealing their acorns?"

"Hey! I'm giving them back," I protested, turning to see a beautiful young woman seated causally on the riverbank behind me. There was no way she could have gotten there without walking past me. Almost no way. She was ethereal, surrounded by a visible aura, her too bright orange dress showing no signs of the muddy riverbank and her tiny bare feet cleaner than if she had just washed them, gave you the impression she wasn't all in this world. Probably because she wasn't.

"Hello, Briar," I greeted her, "How is everything in Heaven?"

"As usual, Gareth," She replied, smiling, "None of your business."

While I laughed, it occurred to me that this was the first time in a long time that I had found something truly funny without a belly full of wine. Now that was a sobering thought. I had come down to the Chapel to reminisce about my dead wife and consider the Phoenix's plan for me to help repair the faulty Resurrection magics. The two were related, as my wife was one of the first "tainted" spirits to not get Resurrected properly. Usually I would bring a few bottles of wine, sit beside the river and fish. A good spot to camp out in early Fall, it also seemed like a good place to meet Blaster later.

"So what does an Immortal want with an old drunkard like me? Did I break a law?"

"You, Gareth?" Briar laughed. An unusual sound, an Immortal's laughter, I highly recommend that if you hear it, pay some attention. It sounded to me like the tinkling of a small waterfall mixed with the sounds of a roomful of children playing... add in a bit of the clink of a bag overflowing with gold coins and... no, you just have to experience yourself. "You are just about the LEAST likely person I know to have broken a Law!"

"Then why are you slumming? I know you aren't here for the fishing, you didn't bring any bait!"

Briar smiled at me and gestured with one perfect hand. A large trout with a distinctly puzzled look on its face jumped out of the canal and landed in the grass at her feet.

"Who needs bait?" She replied, and winked at me. Immortals!

The unfortunate fish managed to flop its way down the incline of the riverbank, landing with a splash back in the canal.

"There goes lunch," I said.

"Time to get serious, mortal," Briar's eyes still had their humorous twinkle, but her mouth was firm. Shut, too. It finally occurred to me that she was whispering directly into my mind. It was odd for an Immortal to require privacy. "The Gods know of your Quest and approve. You honor us with your courage. We cannot interfere with the lives of you Mortals directly, but some of the Gods feel that it might not be an indiscretion if you 'found' a magical item to aid you on your Quest. Good luck and a hearty appetite!"

"Briar? What are you talking about?" I was talking to myself again. The riverbank was empty. Well, almost. Where Briar had been sitting was a huge orange fish. She must have summoned this fat guy out of the canal while her whispering distracted me. Nice of her to remember that lost lunch comment!

My stomach growled.

"Well, fishy?" I walked over to pick it up, "It's just you and me for dinner. Table for two?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.