The Quest For The King's Magic - Cover

The Quest For The King's Magic

Copyright© 2007 by GLSGareth

Chapter 3

I found myself standing in front of a huge statue of a Phoenix. "Greetings, Gareth." It boomed. How nice! It had been years since the Clan hall had an automatic greeter. More good news! My name had not been removed from the Clan rolls.

I looked around. The place had changed, but why not? Considering some of the strongest magic users in the kingdom were members... change seemed inevitable. Still, except for the now silent statue, the Hall was empty.

In the back of the Hall was a door. It hadn't changed, nor had the sign above it. Through there was a large room cut off from the King's magic, and that was a little bit scary even to me. Only the King's wondrous magic kept us all from killing each other. King Yuri had crafted a spell that protected all the inhabitants of his Kingdom from harm at the hands of another be he Magician or Warrior.

The Arena awaited me; somehow I knew that was where Blaster meant to meet. Might as well get it over with, I thought... not for the first time tonight. I placed the Helm on my head, not wanting my hands to be encumbered, and unsheathed my axe.

The door opened easily for me, revealing a brightly-lit room. Several people stood near the back wall talking, perhaps commenting on the two young mages casually tossing fireball spells at each other in the center of the room. They quickly healed themselves after a lucky hit, but neither seemed to want to get to close to the other.

They both noticed me immediately.

"Look at this!" The tall one in red dyed earthen robes held a hand up to his opponent. "We have a spectator! Old man, this is the Phoenix Clan Arena, and it's far too dangerous for you! Better head back out that door before someone tosses a fireball your way!"

The other youth was wearing a blood colored robe with no dye, but he had bright rings on his fingers. "Let me get him!" He whined, "You got the last one!"

Friendly place these days, I thought, and walked past the two towards the back of the room.

"Old man! Don't you DARE ignore me!" The young mage prepared a spell, casting a sickly green cloud at me. I felt my health failing, as poison coursed through my veins. Without conscious thought, I quickly withdrew from my pouch a small bluish vial. I crushed it between my fingers. The potion neutralized the poison, making me feel better. I smiled at the young man.

"You think you are clever? Well, try this! I hope the resurrection spells work for you!" Between his hands a ball of flame grew, until it glared with the color of the fires of Hell itself. I didn't move.

He chuckled as he threw it right at me. I let it hit me square in the chest, where it rolled off my blue armor, cutting painfully into every crack, blistering me where the breastplate ended.

"Enough of this." I said, letting my irritation show. "You are right. I also hope the resurrection spells work. For you."

I stepped up in front of him and dealt him a Whirlwind of blows, feeling my blood chill in my veins, as my body grew weak from the effort. His look of surprise was brief as his spirit rose screaming from his lifeless body. It flew towards the Shaman's door.

I stood my ground in front of the second mage, a small smile starting across his face.

"You old fool! Who will Heal you here? Your attack has left you barely alive! My weakest spell will kill you easily!" He raised his hands and drew a great ball of Lightning together.

Before he could cast it, flashes of spellcasting came from the silent group on the wall. A rush of energy struck me as my wounds were instantly healed. I felt the effects of Poet's Water of Life spells and Mage's Rejuvenation spells at once. I stood before the young mage, in better shape than when I came through the door.

"Perhaps you should rethink that ball of Lightning." I advised quietly.

A small curl of smoke rose from between his fingers as he broke the spell, and scurried from the room.

"Who are you?" He asked, peeking back inside, under the sign reading: May the Heavens Favor a Painless Death.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.