The Overlords' Gambit - Cover

The Overlords' Gambit

Copyright© 2007 by A Strange Geek

Chapter 23

Erotica Sex Story: Chapter 23 - Amanda finds that life on Narlass is never going to be as simple as she hopes. The intrigue and conspiracy are far from over, and she will be pulled into events that go beyond what she had ever imagined. The Overlords plot to take down an Emperor, but he is forewarned. And now the Nobility are poised to step into the fray. Is civil war on the horizon? As for the merchant Jollis, he seems to have his OWN agenda.<br>Note: 3rd story in the Narlass series. You should read the previous stories.

Caution: This Erotica Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   ft/ft   Fa/ft   Romantic   Magic   Slavery   Fiction   BDSM   DomSub   MaleDom   FemaleDom   Spanking   Rough   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Sex Toys  

"How did you know?!"

Q'yros was still bleary-eyed with sleep. It was barely the twilight of pre-dawn outside. Yet when these words came thundering to him across the Farview from the Guild Master, it woke him up at once, though it did little for his disposition at being awakened at such an hour.

"How in the fiery hells did I know what?!" Q'yros bellowed back as he looked around. "Hellfire! Where is my staff?! There..."

He stepped out of view of Master Q'ixanna's Farview vision, but it did little to stem the tide of invective from him. "You have a serpent's tongue but a weasel's integrity! How dare you presume to keep such knowledge from me and watch us founder about like fish in a dried-up pond! You..."

Q'yros stepped into view, hand grasping the staff tightly, a look of red-eyed anger on his face. "Did you wake me up at this unholy hour just to insult me, dear Guild Master?" he said in a voice of utter calm but hinting at the fury behind it.

"Do you deny anything I have just said?"

"I do not know enough about what you are talking about to say one way or the other, Master Q'ixanna. Perhaps you can enlighten me. Or do you just want to skip to the Mage's Duel soon as I can get to a Portal?"

This actually made Q'ixanna blink in shock. While he knew that Q'yros was exaggerating for effect, mentioning a Mage's Duel was not done lightly. Such a thing, if agreed to by the parties involved, was magically binding, and ended only in the death of one of the duelists.

The Guild Master took a deep breath and let it go. "I withdraw my remarks. Some of them! But I still wish to know how you knew about this!"

"Great gods, Master Q'ixanna, is it too much for you to tell me what it is I supposedly already knew?"

Q'yros was not as forceful as he could have been with that last statement. As he gathered his wits about him and shook off more of the stupor of slumber, he realized that all the Guild Master's bluster was hiding the fact that the man was rather worried about something.

"You knew about the focus energies. And where we would find them."

Q'yros' eyebrows rose. "You've found something?"

"You deny that you..."

"Blast all that! How many times do I need to reiterate that I don't care about the politics! Feel free to claim all credit for yourself, Guild Master."

This made Q'ixanna blink again.

"Now... what did you find?"

The Guild Master's eyes narrowed. "We had a new theory... based on your idea..." he added almost grudgingly "... that we applied when we saw another Portal open. And we detected the focus energy."

"You did? Then where is it coming from?"

There was a long pause.

"Where, Master Q'ixanna?!"

"From the point of origin of the Portal."

Q'yros nearly dropped his staff in shock.

"That is the theory!" the senior Mage cried. "It has not been proven yet!"

"Great gods..."

"What we know is that it is coming along the same ethereal path as the Portal energy itself, which is why we did not see it at first. Why would we expect to see something like that in the Portal stream? It is preposterous!"

"That is what you said to me a quarter moon ago. It still does not change the fact that we are seeing it. Guild Master, are you quite sure of this?"

"Yes, we are not fools here!" Q'ixanna snapped. "The focus energy arrives just before the Portal opens. The Portal opens right there, just as if it were homing in on a Focusing pearl. And you knew this somehow."

"I knew nothing of this. I was thinking more along the lines of someone from a distance projecting Focusing energy to a remote location. I had no idea that it would come in along the path of the Portal itself."

"This... this cannot mean what it seems!" Q'ixanna declared loudly, though the conviction in his voice was weak.

"That someone can target a Portal from the point of origin with no outside assistance?"

The Guild Master fell silent.

Q'yros thought hard about it and finally shook his head. "No. There is something missing here."

"Now who is the one denying something that he doesn't like to hear, hmm?"

"Stop playing games with me, Master Q'ixanna. I am doing nothing of the sort. Fine, the enemy is able to target a Portal from the point of origin. How are they doing it? There still has to be a way to guide the focusing energy. It is not like firing an arrow, where you simply impart the proper velocity and..."

"You do not need to teach me the most basics of Portal mechanics!" Q'ixanna said in irritation. "And why do you refer to them as the 'enemy'?"

Oh, did that finally rattle you, my dear Guild Master? Q'yros thought cynically. "What would you call someone opening up Portals into our lands without permission for an unknown purpose?"

"Is this the enemy that the Emperor speaks so vaguely of these days?"

Q'yros mused on that one. So was Z'haas starting to spread his paranoia to the Guild Halls as well? Except it did not seem like so much paranoia now. "Perhaps it is. Master Q'ixanna, we may be premature in becoming panicked over this. As you said, it is a theory. We can see the Focus energies along the path of the Portal. Perhaps there is another reason for it besides it originating at the point of origin."

Q'yros was admittedly still wracking his brains on this one. A Focus from the point of origin made no sense. There was no point of reference to go by. There was nothing to harness to pinpoint the Portal location. The means of describing a location in the five dimensions required by Portal mechanics was an impossible feat. No machine could be designed to do it. No spell could be crafted to contain it. Such things were possible only in the human mind.

But now the Guild Master was shaking his head. "No. It is coming from the point of origin."

Q'yros felt a bit unnerved now. "And how did you come to this conclusion?"

"The artifacts."

Q'yros' eyebrows shot up. "The spent Portal device I asked you to look at?"

"The device contains a lingering resonance in the structure of the power frame, even with the gem at the heart long gone. There is a faint signature of Focusing energy in addition to Portal energy in the molecular structure."

There was a long silence between them. Q'yros wanted to shout that this could mean anything. It could mean someone was using the device itself as a Focus, as pearls did not have to be used exclusively, they were simply convenient. Or it could mean that the Portal device was being used as a relay. That was something that had been proposed many times but could never be made to work and had since been dismissed as impractical.

He had a distinct feeling, however, that the answer was the obvious one that Q'ixanna had proposed. And yet, there was still something missing. One more piece of the puzzle was missing.

"Did your investigations turn up how they were generating the Focus energy, Guild Master?" Q'yros asked.

"Does it matter?!"

"By the gods, yes! Magic works by a set of defined laws, just as the physical world does! No matter how powerful a Mage one is, one cannot simply invent new laws! Whatever is being done, it must fit into the framework of the magical weave! Stop getting caught up in the implications of the discovery itself and find out why it works as it does!"

"I will not be ordered around like your apprentice," Q'ixanna said coldly.

Q'yros sighed. He bowed his head respectfully and lowered his voice. "My apologies, Guild Master. But do you not agree we should discover everything we can about this?"

The Guild Master slowly nodded.

"Surely with the best minds at the Guild working on this..."

The senior Mage's eyes narrowed a touch.

Q'yros frowned. "You have no one else working on this."

"The Emperor may have agreed to disclose the existence of these artifacts to you, Q'yros, but he said nothing about the rest of the Guild Hall."

"Fine. Then I will secure..."

Q'ixanna fixed Q'yros with an icy stare. "And I will not accept authorization from any source but the Emperor's own mouth."

Ah, so he discovered my ruse from the other day, Q'yros thought without even a hint of regret. Yet he went ahead with it anyway. He's just as worried as I am and does not want to admit it.

"So be it," said Q'yros. "I will attempt to convince him and have him contact you as quickly as possible."

Q'ixanna's face hardened. The last thing he wanted to hear was the Emperor's authorization on this matter. It removed a huge piece of leverage he had over the rest of the Guild. By opening up study of the artifacts, it gave several rising stars at the Guild a chance to shine, and perhaps outshine the Guild Master himself.

Now Q'yros felt more serious about abandoning politics at the Hall. He wondered how much of a disservice it had done them over the recent years.

"I will need to speak with the Emperor in any case," Q'yros added. "This information is too vital for him not to hear it."

"Agreed," said Q'ixanna.

Q'yros suddenly broke into a smile.

The Guild Master looked at him crossly. "What is it?"

"This may indeed been an auspicious day yet. You and I actually came to an agreement on something."

Q'ixanna snorted. "Do not get used to it. Good day to you."

"Good day to you as well."

The Guild Master's image faded from sight.

Q'yros heaved a sigh, his shoulders slumping as his energies quickly ebbed with the ending of the Farview. He looked towards the window, where dawn was barely showing its first light. He needed more sleep, but there was simply no way that he was going to achieve that now.

The Mage instead stepped out into the corridor, still cool from the evening, as the fires had not yet been lighted to warm the palace. Normally no one would be about at this time in the morning.

The only thing that never changed was the preponderance of guards.

Normally the night shift was about half the size of the day shift. That had all changed once the Emperor learned of the Caucus.

Q'yros could tell just from a glance at their faces that they were tired of these constant double-shifts. He wondered if the Emperor were bothering to compensate them any further than their normal pay.

He advanced down a narrow corridor that was even chillier than the main hall, as it jutted into an embankment outside. The packed earth around that part of the palace made it always feel cool. At the end of the corridor, where only a single torch was lighted to mark it, lay a thick wooden door.

Q'yros tapped the door with his staff and incanted a short, runic phrase. Magic crackled along the edges of the door just before it swung open.

He stepped inside. Torches lighted themselves automatically. In the center the chamber was a huge stone table, not much more elegant than a large slab propped up with boulders. Q'yros stepped up to the slab and swiped his staff through the air once over it. "Show me!" he declared.

Responding to his command, the spell that the Mage had placed upon the room now made an image shimmer into view. It became a three-dimensional model of the Imperial Palace, but with the walls rendered translucent. At apparently random points in the image were flickers of light. The Palace was a complex enough structure that it was impossible to tell any details.

Q'yros changed this with a few simple intonations. Suddenly the image faded save for one level, where most of the lights were congregated in compartments that represented rooms.

The Mage watched the lights intently. A wave of his hand sent the Palace rotating slowly in space. He uttered another incantation, which ended in the name "Janna J'garon."

One of the lights became brighter than the others.

Q'yros raised an eyebrow. From what he had heard of the woman, he had expected to see that she had already shared her quarters with one of the other Lords.

He went through a series of incantations that traced the route that each of the Lords in turn had taken after the Caucus had adjourned, appearing as ghostly trails that snaked into and out of rooms, down corridors, around the courtyard and gardens.

He played through Janna's twice.

By the time he was done, he nodded in satisfaction. A wave of his hand as he turned away, and the image of the Palace flickered back into nonexistence. He paused at the door, laying a hand upon the door frame. He was panting lightly.

Manipulating the magic of that spell was draining, more so then he had thought it would be. He had not wanted to admit it, but he was reaching the days where he was not going to be able to wield powerful magic as long and as steadily as he had been called upon to do as the Emperor's adviser. He had not had this much activity in several years than he had in the past full moon. If this crisis continued much more than another full moon, his reserves were going to run out. He would be forced into a sabbatical to recharge his energies.

He stiffened at the thought of what the Emperor would say to that. Like most non-Mages, Z'haas likely had no idea how magical energies worked. A Mage had to constantly build up his power if he wished to wield the stronger spells for a longer period of time. Most Mages took in more power than they used, which allowed them to build up a very respectable charge by the time they reached their elder years. This is why the maxim "the more ancient the wizard, the more formidable his power" was not just a metaphor for his experience.

Yet now Q'yros' expenditures were exceeding his intake for the first time in a decade. He could not keep that up indefinitely. Eventually, something had to give. He just had to hope that he would have a chance to rest before it was him that had to give.

Q'yros left the room, letting the door close and seal behind him.


"We have no other options, Roquan. There is simply no other way to accomplish this."

Roquan regarded Duric's Farview image silently for a few moments, his arms folded across his chest. He finally drew in his breath and let it go as a long sigh. "Yes, I believe I anticipated you would say this."

"Then you have already inquired of your Tradesman about..."

"I have said nothing to him as yet," said the Overlord firmly. "One does not mention matters such as this openly or too soon. There is no telling how word might get back to the Mage Guild."

"Is all this paranoia truly warranted, Roquan?"

"Indeed it is, Duric. You have not had the experience that I have with Mages."

"Yes, I know. Q'yros. I don't envy you."

"The fact that he is the Emperor's right hand now means we need to tread as lightly as possible. We cannot let any of this leak out. The very idea of using a rogue Mage is one of the most taboo things in our society."

Duric snorted at this in derision. "You mean the Mage Guild would like you to believe that!"

"Unfortunately in the arena of magic, they have a large sway. If they say something is taboo, it becomes taboo."

Duric nodded. "And the matter of the Overlord that will assist us..."

"I will contact him as soon as I have spoken with my Tradesman." Roquan paused. "I am debating whether to actually inform Weton that a rogue Mage will be doing this."

"You think he may balk at it?"

"I am thinking more of how much he will ask of me in return for this favor. As improved as my finances are becoming, they are not where they ought to be."

Duric cast a look of mild surprise at the Overlord.

"Yes, rather astonishing, hearing an Overlord admit a weakness in this area. Times are indeed changing, Duric."

"I would say so."

"Which reminds me, have there been any names forwarded as an interim Emperor?"

Duric looked thoughtful. "I daresay there hardly has been any time to contemplate one. I certainly cannot do it, nor any of my clan."

"And why not? If nothing else, it would be a reward for your efforts."

Roquan was surprised when Duric laughed out loud at this. "The Imperial Throne? A reward? Surely you jest! No Noble in his right mind truly wants that post, interim or no. But joking aside... it is best I do not seek it for myself or my clan. It is bad enough I am doing this in secret. I do not want them to think this is merely an excuse for me to grab power for myself."

Roquan nodded in agreement. He could understand the sentiment. Roquan himself felt as if he had been thrust into a leadership role for a group of people that traditionally had no leader. He wanted to shed that responsibility as soon as the crisis was over and go back to being just another Overlord.

"But someone must be considered," said Roquan.

"I intend on contacting Lord Uras on the eve of the attack," Duric explained. "I will accept his advice as to who the interim Emperor should be. He will most likely suggest himself, and that is as good as we can get."

From what Roquan knew of Uras, he was not that impressed with the man. Nevertheless, he refrained from comment. It was best not to meddle in the affairs of the Nobility. He had to trust that Uras would make the right decision. But he did feel he had to make a comment.

"I should tell you that the Overlords are watching the proceedings very carefully," Roquan said in as neutral a voice as he could muster. "I hope it is obvious to you what they are afraid of."

"A shift in the balance of power, of course," replied Duric with a sly grin. "Influence leaning heavily towards the Lords. Hmm. Might make for some really sweet deals from your lot."

Roquan raised an eyebrow, the look in his eyes showing that he was not amused.

Duric laughed at the Overlord's reaction. "I still need to work on that sense of humor of yours."

"I have put that away for safe keeping until the crisis is over," replied Roquan smoothly.

This made Duric laugh again. "You should get it out now and then. Makes dealing with things easier."

"If we are concluded then..."

"Yes, I believe we are done. Oh, but there is one more thing. About Amanda."

Roquan paused. "Yes?"

"She is proving to be intriguing. Very much so."

Roquan had no idea how to interpret that. "As long as you are pleased with her."

"Oh, I won't know that yet, not until I talk to her."

"I beg your pardon?"

"Why, those scrolls of hers, Roquan! I'm most interested in knowing what she is learning from them."

The Overlord could not tell whether Duric was serious or simply attempting to be amusing again. Or was this a roundabout way to inform Roquan that he found her scrolls to be a nuisance? He decided to take a middle road.

"I had impressed upon her that she is not to neglect her normal duties to you despite her interest in those scrolls."

Duric was already waving a hand of dismissal. "Yes, yes, I know. Rest assured, I have no complaints about her sexual prowess. Anyway, Roquan, I am needed elsewhere. Please contact me the moment you have made arrangements."

"I will. Good day to you, Duric."

"Good day, Roquan."

Roquan picked up the pearl the moment the image faded from sight and returned it to its bed of velvet beside the other Farviewing pearls.

He stared down at them for a moment before closing the drawer and turning around. He crossed his outer chamber and slipped past the curtain to his bed chamber.

The Overlord half-expected to find Amanda lying there on his bed. He longed to see her again, feeling her absence more than he believed he ought. And this was even in light of the fact that it was Sirinna, his traditional favorite among his slaves, that graced his bed that morning.

She lay contentedly and lightly stroking herself as he had instructed her when he had left to take the Farview audience. Her soft and delicate moans filled his ears and sent a renewed tingle through his loins despite having spent a good deal of time with her in bed that morning.

Roquan stepped over to the bed and leaned over her. He placed a hand gently on hers, the one that lay on her pussy. He nudged her fingers aside and dipped his own into her wet folds. Sirinna closed her eyes and tilted her head back, uttering more breathy moans, her body shivering with mounting pleasure. Her pussy ached from all the activity that morning, but it did not matter to her. She simply adored his touch and would take it over and over again.

Roquan rubbed her slit until she shuddered in climax, her body quivering as she throbbed. He brought her down slowly, then reached down and kissed her tenderly on the lips.

"We must end it here for this morning," Roquan said as he drew himself up.

"Yes, Master," said Sirinna in a contented and still breathy voice.

"In fact, I need you to summon someone to me this morning."

Sirinna immediately swung her legs over the side of the bed. The movement made her pussy throb weakly a few more times, adding to the pleasurable afterglow of her orgasm. "Yes, Master. Who am I to bring to you?"

"My Tradesman, Jollis. Please inform him that it is very important."

"Of course, Master. I will tend to it at once."


Jollis had now advanced past impatience into worry. Three days, and still nothing.

The only reaction that had been seen near the Imperial Palace was an increase in the number and frequency of the patrols along the most likely routes of advance. It would give the Emperor scant warning if Duric somehow managed to get his armies that far without being detected.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.