Magic's Return-the Wizard - Cover

Magic's Return-the Wizard

Copyright© 2007 by Volentrin

Chapter 3

I felt very uncomfortable. I had just finished an interview with a local newscast, and had basically lied through my teeth about Mathew Spath. The lies had been designed to draw him out, though.

I was still unsure of how dangerous a group could be, that preached purity of magic. I mean, come on! A terrorist group dedicated to keeping magic and technology separate? Still, there had been acts of terrorism over some of the stupidest things in the past, or at least criminal acts.

As I was driven back to the embassy, I considered my role in this. I was basically being used as bait to draw someone out of hiding. I considered the spells I had at the ready and was glad I had been practicing holding magical power.

Some of the spells would require quite a bit of power as I cast them. I had a defensive/offensive spell that I had tested back in the US and it was very strong. It took a good bit of power to cast it though, as did my other offensive spells.

Just three of the spells I had at the ready would exhaust the power I had stored within myself, that's how strong they were. Still, dealing with terrorists or criminals, however you labeled them, was going to be dangerous.

I clutched my staff tightly and looked at it. Colonel Frank Barnes had gotten embassy security to let me retain my staff. It did represent a lot of power, and to trust someone not vetted or with embassy security with something as powerful as a staff was remarkable, apparently.

After we got back to the embassy, I was requested to go to Frank Barnes office. I made my way through the corridors with only two false turns and found myself waved in almost at once.

"Ah, Carl! Good. You have a busy day tomorrow, followed by a dinner with the Egyptian ambassador. Do you know him by chance?" The Col. asked me.

"No. Why?" I asked curiously.

"I ask because you were specifically requested. I thought perhaps you knew him or a member of his family. You have never met him or know any of his family?" I was asked again.

"Not to my knowledge," I answered slowly.

"Well, you have been requested to present yourself at the Egyptian embassy no later than eight PM tomorrow evening, for a private dinner and conversations with the Egyptian ambassador," Col. Barnes responded while watching me closely.

"Like I said, I don't know why he wants to see me. I will be sure to let you know what he wants," I assured him.

He nodded and then changed the subject.

"They played your segment on the news, already. They added it to the end of the local news, while you were traveling back here," Col. Barnes told me.

"I thought they weren't supposed to play that until this evening," I said in confusion.

"Apparently they either decided to change their minds, or they needed a filler for the midday news. Either way, it has played already," he told me.

Did I really care that it had played already? Not really. The whole interview had left me a little unsettled to begin with. I was still having trouble considering Mathew Spath as a terrorist. I mean... he had been someone I had worked with for almost a year.


The Egyptian ambassador, Aamin Malik, was an interesting man. He was an intelligent and purpose filled person, who seemed to radiate sincerity. I had presented myself to the Egyptian Embassy in complete wizard dress, including my full cloak and wizard's staff, and been shown in.

I was greeted by a secretary to the ambassador who took me to a small study-like room, and asked if I would like tea, coffee, or a liquor. I asked for a coffee, and was presented with something would probably grow hair on a billiard ball! Damn but that was strong!

A short time later the ambassador himself came in, walked over to me as I rose, and shook my hand.

"I had to take this opportunity to meet you, Mr. Richmond. May I call you that, or do you prefer Wizard Richmond?" He asked me.

"Either will do, Mr. Ambassador," I replied.

"Please, call me Aamin. You are already a friend of the family," he told me.

I was confused, but answered then by all means, he could use my name, Carl.

"I can see you are confused. Does it help if I tell you that you were instrumental in helping to save my cousin, Rashid Malik's life? He was with two other religious people in a park, I believe," Aamin explained.

"Rashid is your cousin? What a coincidence!" I exclaimed.

"Yes, Rashid is a close relative. We of the familiar are proud of him. He is a great scholar and has become friends with some very powerful religious figures," Aamin stated.

"I saw him not too long ago. He was doing well, as far as I could see," I answered.

"Yes, he mentioned that and talks about you whenever he sees you on the telly. You yourself have made a great impression on my younger cousin," Aamin said, while looking like he was remembering.

Soon a servant came in and announced that dinner was served. The ambassador led the way to a small dining room, and I was gestured to a chair. The meal, when it was brought in, was amazing and peculiar. Lobster? I was expecting anything but that!

An hour later I pushed myself back from the table with a groan. Aamin laughed. Between the lobster, the giant shrimp, the dips and other foods, I was stuffed like the proverbial turkey. We had also talked during the entire meal.

"That was an excellent dinner, Aamin, and I thank you for it. I feel like if I eat another bite, I will explode!" I groaned again, dramatically.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.