Magic's Return-the Wizard - Cover

Magic's Return-the Wizard

Copyright© 2007 by Volentrin

Chapter 1

I was waiting in the Federal Building, in the Director Of Magic's office. Ever since I had been promoted to the rank of Wizard, the Office Of Magic had been shifting into high gear to get a new contract locked down onto me. I had been telling them 'no'. Now, yet again, here I was. I was cooling my heels in their waiting room, so they could appear important (to themselves, mostly), for yet another face to face.

The past three months had been busy for me. First there had been the fiasco at work with Mathew Spath. He had definitely been the cause of the disruption of the magic field at the power company I had worked for. He was now wanted for terrorist activities, also. I still had no idea why he had done this.

Then there was my new job with Magical Solutions, which I had accepted as soon as I passed my test at the university. I had received several classes from the MagiSol people, in security spells. They were rather clever. None were in any of the spell books I had bought from the university. These spells were held by the company as 'proprietary items' and belonged solely to Magical Solutions.

Then, there was my fight with the demons. Well, one demon, anyway. I had used my new 'power punch' spell to take one of them out. It had worked, beautifully! Plus, I had the added benefit of making friends with three very unusual religious people.

"Wizard Richmond? You may go in, now," the secretary said, smiling a smile that never reached her eyes.

"Thank you," I responded politely, and went through the door marked: Director.

The office was very well appointed. There was a large oak desk with a leather chair behind it. Paintings were all over the walls, and a leather couch was just off to my left and another leather straight back chair in front of the desk. The director himself was standing in front of his desk with his hand out, so I shook it.

"Ah, Carl! Come in, sir, come in," he said in a booming voice.

Director Greg Stein was about forty years old, and was a huge man. He topped my six feet by at least four inches and had about fifty pounds on me, none of it fat. He gestured me to sit and went behind his desk.

"First things first. I have your new identification card here. Plus I have expedited your passport application. It should be in your hands in about a week. You will need it, soon, you know. We plan on sending you overseas in the near future," the director said, then handed me my new identification card.

I signed for my new identity card and looked at it. It was similar to my old army ID, but with a few differences. The edges were gold trimmed and it had my pay scale listed as 05.

Wow! 'Oh five' was the same pay scale as a Lieutenant Colonel in the army! It also had my photo on it of course. Wizard was stamped in bold black across the top of the card.

"As you can see, we have upped your pay to be commensurate with your new status as a wizard. After you have had a couple years experience as a wizard, we will up your pay scale again of course.

"As it stands, you still owe us almost four years of service to offset our paying for your schooling in magic. However, we would like you to consider renegotiating for a new contract. While we can't meet what you are being paid now from Magical Solutions, I am sure the benefits will more than make up for it," the director said, then launched into the government's pitch.

An hour later I was back outside and headed to my car. I'll give the director this, he tried his damnedest! Some of what he offered was actually pretty good. Still, I would have been a fool to sign. It would have committed me to seven more years as a government employee. While working for the feds was not all bad, I had a better deal in the private sector.

As I opened the door to my car, I took off my cloak and tossed it to the passenger side along with my staff, then slid in. I did not wear the half cape that most wizards wore. I wore a full cloak. I liked the pockets that came with it, and I also liked the flair of a cloak, as I thought I looked good in it.

As I was hungry, I decided to head for my favorite place to eat, a Denny's Diner. Ok, I don't know why I liked this Denny's so much. It was a friendly place to eat, and I had gotten to know the waitresses and the managers pretty well. Besides, I was tired of my own cooking.

I thought about what the director had said about me going overseas, soon. I wondered what that was all about. Was I going as part of a military exercise? Or was it something else? He did say I would need a passport. If it had been strictly military, my id card and a set of travel orders would have been enough.

I pulled into the Denny's parking lot fifteen minutes later, and got out of my car taking my cloak and wizard's staff with me. I wanted all the accouterments of my rank with me. It was in the park across the street, that the demons had attacked my three friends, just three months ago.

I managed to get a booth for myself, and took off my cloak. I stood my staff in the corner and got comfortable.

"Well, Carl, what's the occasion? You're all dressed up, and you're wearing outfit an all?" Theresa asked me.

"Just came back from a meeting, and thought I would get something to eat. I'll have the meatloaf special," I told her. I added my drink orders separately, as I wanted coffee now, and my cola to be served with my meal.

When I had been at the director's office, I had received several items, including a slim book of spells. I was instructed to memorize as many of the spells as I could, or at least become familiar with them all. So while I was waiting for my order, I started reading and memorizing spells.

A lot of them were very complex security type spells, while others seemed to be advanced combat spells! I decided to put the book into my cloak pocket and save reading it for later. It wouldn't do to let a novice see some of these spells.

The meatloaf special was great as usual. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, bread and butter, plus my large coke. For dessert I had strawberry shortcake. I got another refill of coffee after finishing my meal and relaxed a bit.

I thought again about Mathew Spath. What had possessed him to do as he had? Security cameras had caught him casting the disruption spell. Then he had left the area by way of the roof ladder. He had to know he would be seen, so why do it? Also, the disruption spell was supposedly beyond the ability of a sorcerer, yet he had done it.

I shook my head and picked up my bill. I grabbed my cloak and staff with my other hand. Soon I was back in my car and heading for home. I sighed as I got to my apartment. Now that I had a really good job, maybe it was time for me to buy a house.


The next day at work, I was given an assignment to do security at a house in Compton Heights. The owner wanted magical security added to his more mundane electronic security. Gus told me the guy was paying for the best, and to give him the works. I was to cast the deluxe package for him.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.