The Freiburg Project - Cover

The Freiburg Project

Copyright© 2007 by Robin Pentecost

Chapter 27

Mystery Sex Story: Chapter 27 - A young, successful architect, who lives in a nudist village in the south of France, pulls her life together after her husband's suicide. She wins a major project and things begin to happen. (Mystery/Thriller, no explicit sex)

Caution: This Mystery Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Romantic  

In the late afternoon, Helen and Sandy sat on the balcony of her apartment, relaxing in the sun and talking over plans for the visit to Orange. The orange cat was off doing cat things. Her phone rang, and she looked at the display before answering. She looked at Sandy.

"Sandy, it's Dumont. Can we record this?"

Sandy went to the table by the door and retrieved his pocket computer, held it up and nodded, immediately starting to set up the connection. Helen answered the call.

"Helen, this is Paul. Have you got a minute?"

"Yes, Paul. What can I do for you?"

"Helen, I can't talk long. When will you be in Freiburg again?"

"I'm not sure, Paul. I have a commitment here in the south in a day or two, and I'd planned to come up to Freiburg maybe next week."

Paul's voice sounded concerned. "I guess Rummy's in Freiburg, right?"

"Yes."

"Helen, I really need to talk with you. I'm really concerned about what's going on up there, that business with the excavators and the stuff that happened during your visit the other day — the re-bar and the ladder — I can't go along with this. Is there any chance you can..." His voice changed, became louder, more confident. "Yes, yes, I see. Well, I do feel it would be to your advantage..." He paused.

Helen looked over at Sandy, rolling her eyes, and spoke into the phone, "I gather you're no longer free to speak plainly, Paul."

"Right. And what about meeting soon?"

"Tell you what, Paul. I'll try to get up to Freiburg tomorrow afternoon. If I can get a flight. I'll let you know if something happens and I can't get there, all right?"

"Yes," Paul said, his voice changing again. "He's gone, I can talk better. Tomorrow afternoon unless I hear from you in the morning. Thanks." He hung up.

Sandy stopped the recording on his pocket computer and began transferring it into Helen's machine.

"That's spooky," Helen said.

"If not downright scary," Sandy said. "I gather you're going to try to get there."

"Yes," she said, punching her mobile, "see if you can get me a seat to Strasbourg — there's an early direct flight from Montpellier — while I call Johannes."

Sandy turned to the keyboard, calling up Helen's ticketing site, and Helen listened as the phone rang.

"Hi, it's Helen... Dumont just called again. Let me play you the recording." She grabbed Sandy's little computer and held it to the phone while she played back Dumont's call.

"Yes," she said when she had the phone back to her ear, "We're e-mailing you the audio file, OK?... I'm not sure either... I have no idea if he's setting a trap or if he wants to do a deal, but do you want to miss the chance? Look, we didn't say anything to anyone about the ladder. How does he know about it?... Sandy's trying to book me a flight." Sandy held up his fingers in the universal OK sign. "He says he's got me on. Will you be there? Good, I'll look for you — where? Right, in Strasbourg. We can drive down together." She took a piece of paper Sandy handed to her. "Here's the flight number and arrival time..." She chuckled grimly. "Yes, I'll wear my vest. See you."

She disconnected and went to where Sandy, having risen from the computer desk was watching her. She put her arms around him, her face pressed against his chest. He folded her in his arms.

"Am I going off the deep end, Sandy? Is this really what I should be doing? Maybe I should leave everything to Johannes and the police."

Sandy spoke softly into the crown of her head. "Of course you should leave it to the police. I told you, these guys aren't fooling around. But, you won't do that, I know. You've decided this is something you have to do."

"Yes, it is. I have to do it — for myself and for Theo, somehow. He was murdered, Sandy." She leaned back against his arms, her eyes locked to his. "We both know that, now."

She freed herself from his arms and went to the sideboard to pour herself a glass of wine. With a glance and a gesture, she confirmed that he wanted one as well and poured it.

"He may have been playing fast and loose with the illegals, but I know from his accounts, he wasn't getting any money for that. Every penny he had came from his job and his — our — investments.

"Theo wanted to help those people. Dumont sort of confirmed that. We used to talk about how the people from the east needed the money they could earn here in the west, and once the Wall went down, he didn't see any reason why they shouldn't have a chance at it."

Sandy sipped from his glass. "That's pretty much what Johannes and I think," he said. "It's hard to argue with helping people in need, even when — especially when — helping needy people is against the law. Trouble is, when you play outside the sandbox, you can get eaten. Theo got eaten. He wasn't in their league and they just chewed him up and spit him out."

Helen shuddered. "You sure have a way of putting it." She squared her shoulders. "But you're right. Now, I wonder about Dumont. Is he another tool, or is he one of the mob?"

"I guess you're going to find out, aren't you?" Sandy put his arm around her waist, pulling her to his side.


Walking from the gate, Helen met Johannes, hugging him tight.

"Glad you've got your vest on," he said with a smile.

"You too. But they aren't that comfortable for flying."

"Well, we're going directly to the job site. I told Rummy to be careful too, when I called him this morning. He said Doris made him promise to wear his vest until this thing is cleared up. He's getting impatient."

"That Doris!"

Johannes had rented a car and they drove off toward Freiburg, but not before stopping to pick up a couple of sandwiches and bottles of water for lunch, then heading directly for the site of the future Wald Sauna.

They talked and ate as Johannes drove, mainly about little things. But finally, Helen asked, "How did you get into this, anyway?"

Johannes glanced across at her. "I've been in the Swiss Federal Police all my career. The Interpol assignment just came my way a year or so ago, and I like the work. It's more interesting."

"Don't you go and tell me Swiss criminals are boring. I won't believe it."

"No, there's nothing funny about criminals of any origin. I just enjoy the challenge of working across borders and with people from other forces."

"It has occurred to me to wonder how you realized I was involved with this. I'm glad, of course. I feel so much... what? Safer? Well, more confident, now that you're working with us."

Johannes reached over and pressed her thigh; Helen felt his pleasure. "Well, first tell me what you did about that appointment you mentioned to Dumont."

Helen grinned, "You don't miss much. Guess that's why you're good at what you do. I have to be in Orange later this week. I just pushed it as late as I could; I should be back home for the weekend, and Sandy's going with me, Johannes. He told me about your deal."

"Good. I just don't want to take chances if we don't have to. I'm working on the assumption that with two attempts on your life you need protection. I may be wrong, but I'd rather be wrong than lose you."

"Bless you, Johannes, but back to my question. How did you know about me?"

"I've told you I missed you, Helen. And you know that's true. Well, a few months before this all started, I was sort of fiddling around in some slack time looking through old, unresolved cases the way we do in my business, and Theo's case came up. Of course, your name was in the file, as well. Then I noticed no one had put the serial number of the gun in the record, and a few other little things, so I put it on my list of things to re-visit. As simple as that. Then, all of a sudden, the KP in Baden-Württemburg contacted us with the serial number and the other information, I jumped right on it. Nothing very surprising about that. Of course, if I hadn't noticed Theo's file earlier I might have missed it."

"No, Johannes, just very sweet. Loving, I'd say. Thank you."

They were very quiet for quite a while. When they stopped to use the toilet, Helen got back to the car first and took over the driver's seat. Before long, the car again moved swiftly south along the A-5.


Helen drove into the job site, heading for the Hoch und Tiefbau office, where they knew Rummy would be waiting. When Helen drove into the car park, Rummy came out of the container-office and walked over to them. He hugged Helen, shook hands with Johannes before guiding them into the office.

"Dumont's been here about an hour," he said, "and he's jumpy as hell."

Johannes said, "Well, I would be, too, no matter what he's up to. From what you've said, he doesn't strike me as a professional. And, we don't have any record on him."

Helen looked across Rummy's chest at Johannes, a look that showed her growing awareness of the man's professionalism.

Inside, Dumont rose from behind a desk where he had obviously been waiting. He came forward quickly to greet Helen.

"I'm so glad you could come. I have some important things to tell you." Belatedly, he noticed Johannes, standing to one side of Rummy. "Ah?" he said, inquiringly.

Helen did the honors, "This is Johannes Selig, another associate of mine. You can speak frankly with him."

Dumont waved his hand dismissively, "It doesn't matter, really. If I had needed confidentiality, I wouldn't have met you here, or with Rummy."

He picked up a thick, letter-size envelope. "One thing, Helen, is this. Schellen told you when you met with him that he would make a proposal for labor and such. This is it, and I've given a copy to Werner Siegmann, too."

"Where is Werner?" Helen asked. She took the envelope and wrote on it, returning it unopened to Dumont.

Rummy responded, "He had an appointment, Helen — should be back in an hour or two."

Dumont grimaced. "A convenient appointment, I think. Werner didn't want to get any further into this than he is already."

Helen went to one of the desks and perched on it. "All right, Paul, let's cut the crap. What is 'this' and what is your role in it? Werner is only 'in it' because I asked him to string you along." Johannes stood to one side of the entrance door — not quite blocking it, and Rummy sat down on a chair in front of another desk, not far from Dumont. Dumont noted Johannes's position, but made no comment.

"First, the proposal is from Sauter. No matter what it says about Schellen, the proposal is Sauter's, not Schellen's. I don't know why Schellen is in this at all. You may already know that Sauter's company, though not Sauter himself, has now been charged with criminal fraud. For that reason alone I know you won't even consider this, but I was told to deliver it to you and to Werner. The proposal offers labor at rates about 30 percent below union scale."

"Using illegal immigrants for labor — probably Turks," Helen stated flatly. "With the assurance there will be no interference from the Man from Bau."

"Yes. Well, the assurances are rather cloudy, as I'm sure you would expect."

Helen leaned forward as far as her stiff vest allowed. "Paul, you didn't get me up here on a distress call for this. Level with me. Now!"

Paul leaned back against the closest desk, planting one haunch on it, looking very tense. Rummy was on the edge of his chair.

"Yes. Well, Helen, the reason is the accidents that occurred the last two times you were here. I won't have anything more to do with that."

"What did you have to do with that? We've assumed that the crane accident was just that, an accident. Just not quite a deadly accident. But, the ladder thing could have broken bones, at least. Were you responsible? We didn't make any noises about the ladder. How did you even know about it if you weren't involved?" Helen's demeanor held Dumont's attention firmly.

Dumont nodded. "Yes. I did know about the ladder. I think the re-bar was an accident, but I'm not sure. I didn't sabotage the ladder, Helen. I only heard about it after the whole thing happened. I was in Geneva that day, you know." Helen nodded. "Well, I'm pretty sure... I know I was there so I wouldn't be here when the trouble occurred. Sauter made a point of asking me to a meeting at his offices that had no purpose and no result."

"A meeting like the one we had with Schellen," Helen noted.

"Yes. Well, that was meant to get you to buy into this labor deal, Helen." He indicated the envelope on the desk. "He really thinks he can get you to go along. But, Sauter's pretty angry about getting thrown off the job site."

"We'll get back to that. Go on about the accidents."

"When I was in Geneva that day, Sauter said he'd warned you that you might have labor problems and..."

" 'Disputes and misunderstandings' were his words. But it was Schellen who said them."

"Yes. Well, Sauter told me he had arranged a demonstration of what he meant. It was to take place while I was off site. He told me he wanted me to have 'clean hands'. Someone mentioned the ladder during a break, and I overheard it."

"Huh. Now tell me about the Bagger incident. You got my message about that the day before we came to meet Schellen. What do you know about that?

Dumont swallowed hard and looked down before responding. "Nothing. I was astonished. I don't know how that happened. I really don't know anything about it." He looked at her, then at Rummy. "I'm so glad you weren't hurt.

"I'm not going to go any further with this, Helen. I'm going to tell Schellen I'm quitting my job. I want you to know that I think one of them is out for you and I don't want anything to do with it. That's why I got you up here. I couldn't discuss this with you on the phone from the office, of course, and I didn't want to just go away — disappear — without telling you what I know."

Johannes spoke from his position by the door. "I think you know more than you've told Helen, Dumont."

"Who are you?" Dumont demanded, jolted out of his focus on Helen.

Helen recaptured his attention. "Never mind that now, Paul. You told us that you worked for Sauter a few months on secondment. Johannes is right; you've got to know more about this than you're telling me."

"Yes, I do. Sauter's people showed me the whole thing, at least as far as getting illegals and placing them here in the EU is concerned. They did not let me know about any of the... I don't know what you call this except violence. There have got to be Mafia connections, or something, here."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.