Marshal - Cover

Marshal

Copyright© 2007 by aubie56

Chapter 2

Eddy came in and said, "Sam, it's great to see you up and about! They told me it would be a couple more days afore you could walk on your own, but I see that they were wrong. Are you ready to go home?"

Sam nodded yes and Eddy helped him to stand. They went out to Eddy's carriage with Sam's arm over Eddy's shoulder and Eddy's arm around Sam's waist. Sam hated to look so weak in public, but he was grateful for the support. They climbed into the carriage and were driven to Sam's house.

Sam's wife, Sara, met them at the front gate, and she and Eddy helped Sam into the house. Once inside, she hugged and kissed Sam on the cheek, then blushed to have been so familiar in front of Eddy! They talked for a few minutes and then Eddy left.

Sara said, "Oh, I'm so glad to see you, Sam! I wanted to see you sooner, but I couldn't let anybody see me going into a Chinese whore house! I didn't like it, but they said they didn't have anyplace else to keep you 'til you got over breathin' the smoke. I didn't think any decent White man had any business in a place like that, but the Marshal said that it was OK. All you was doin' was sleepin'!"

"That the God's own truth, Sara! I just woke up this mornin'. I got dressed and walked to the hall. Some woman made me sit on a bench 'til the Marshal showed up. Then I came straight home! I swear it!"

"I believe you, Sam. Calm down. I ain't accusin' you of nothin'! I'd a had them bring you home sooner, but the Marshal said you was too sick to move. I shore am glad to see you, now, though!"

"I'm right glad to see you, too, Sara, but I got to lie down again. I'm so tired from that little bit of effort that I'm 'bout to go to sleep in this here chair. Help me to bed, if you please."

The next evening, Sam showed up at the jail for work. "Howdy, Sam. Are you shore you're well enough to git back to work?"

"Yeah, Marshal, I think that I kin cut it."

"OK, for the next few nights, I'm puttin' you on desk duty. Tom Watson an' the new man, Joe Butterworth, will handle the rounds. Since you kin read and write, I'll depend on you to keep the paperwork in order for the night shift. Once you git your strength back, I'll put you back on regular duty. But, this way, you kin still git paid while you're recoverin' from that damned smoke. Zack Wilson will be doin' the same thin' for the day shift when he gits back in a couple more days."

"Much obliged, Marshal. I'm still not back to my full strength an' I appreciate the chance to build up slow-like to a full schedule. Show me the papers you're talking 'bout and I'll git to 'em."

Two days later, Eddy picked up Zack Wilson at the "hospital" and delivered him to his home. "Zack, when you're ready to start back to work, come in on the day shift and I have you spend a few days at the desk shuffling papers. You'll spend some time on that 'til you git your strength back. Then you can resume your regular duties, but on the day shift. The new men can handle the night shift."

"Shore, Eddy, that sounds great! I'll see you tomorrow mornin'."

The next afternoon at about 6:40, when the whole crew was in the office, Wang Fu came in and knocked on the door. "May I speak to all of you, Marshall?"

"Certainly, Mr. Wang. I'll round everybody up. You have a seat an' I'll be right back."

Eddy and his five deputies came into the office, all bringing something to sit on. Eddy sat down at his desk and said, "We're all here, Mr. Wang. What kin we do for you?"

"First, I should say that I chose this time to visit you because I was told that everybody would be here. I'm happy to see that is true.

"I am here to make a formal expression of my gratitude for Mr. Weatherly and Mr. Wilson's actions the night of the big fire. At great risk to themselves, they rushed into a burning building to rescue two elderly Chinese whom they did not know. No one else appeared willing to take the risk. That they were successful speaks volumes for their courage and resourcefulness under very trying circumstances. Our whole community wishes to express our thanks for their bravery. I, particularly, feel very strongly about this because those two people were my parents! Thank you, gentlemen!

"As a token of our gratitude, the Chinese community has commissioned these two amulets which we hope that you gentlemen will wear under your shirts. The Chinese language glyphs translate into English as 'Hero for the people.' If you should ever need assistance from one of our people, show him that amulet and you will get instant cooperation."

Zack and Sam were speechless, with their mouths hanging open, when they saw the amulets. They were made of jade, chased with gold. They must have been worth a king's ransom. Eddy said, "Mr. Wang, as you can see, Zack and Sam are struck speechless by your generosity. Please allow me to express their gratitude for the gifts and to say that they will wear them with pride. Thank you very much!"

"It is we Chinese who are grateful. Now I must bid you goodbye."

They all stood as Mr. Wang Fu left with the dignity of a reigning monarch. After he was gone, Eddy said, "For the good of us all, please wear them amulets. From what I hear, the Chinese place a great store by such as them thin's, an' their feelings and pride would be crushed if you don't wear 'em. On the other hand, I 'spect that you better keep 'em under your shirts to keep 'em from bein' stolen. There's places in this town what would start a war for thin's as valuable as them amulets."

"Gosh, Eddy, we was just doin' our jobs. They didn't have to give us nothin'."

"I know that, Zack, an' they know that. But that's their way of sayin' 'Thank you.' Jus' accept the gifts an' go on 'bout your business. It would be best if you didn't go flashing them thin's around in public or any of us talkin' about 'em, because them amulets would attract thieves an' murders like flies to honey. Now, let's git back to work."

Meanwhile, a different kind of meeting was taking place in San Francisco's Chinatown. A lavish, multicourse dinner was being served in the private dining room of the best restaurant in Chinatown. The dinner was attended by some of the most powerful Chinese criminals in the city, and they were there to discuss recent events in Sacramento.

FIRST SPEAKER: "Our organization has lost considerable face as a result of the failures in Sacramento. This has had repercussions, locally."

SECOND SPEAKER: "Some of our people have actually been taunted by members of rival organizations. This cannot be tolerated. If it continues, our reputation may be permanently scarred."

FIRST SPEAKER: "We must regain control of Sacramento and punish those who have attacked us."

SECOND SPEAKER: "I will order immediate action against our enemies in Sacramento."

THIRD SPEAKER: "That is all very well, but what will you do about the White police force in Sacramento?"

SECOND SPEAKER: "Our first target will be this Eddy Johnson who now heads the police force there. He must be assassinated before we can be sure of victory. I will send an adequate force to be sure of accomplishing this."

The next morning, six Chinese assassins left for Sacramento.

A week later, Eddy was sitting at his desk in his office when Zack announced that Mr. Wang was there to see him. Eddy stood up and said, "Show Mr. Wang in, if you please."

Wang walked in and bowed. Eddy bowed in return as best he could. "It's always a pleasure to see you, Mr. Wang. What kin I do for you?"

"A disturbing situation has arisen in our neighborhood. Six strangers have recently arrived from San Francisco, and we fear that they are representatives of the criminal organization which tried to move in on us several months ago. Several people who should know, have reported that these men are not the usual strong-arm thugs we might expect, but, rather, fall into the class of skilled assassins. Certain women reported that they are marked with unusual tattoos which confirm this. We are concerned because we do not know who their targets might be."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.