Morlind - Book I
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2007 by GordTheMonkey

"Switch, wake up."

"Momma?"

"Wake up, my girl. Come. We must hurry."

Momma was whispering, urgently.

"I'm tired, momma."

"We must hurry. Come. Get up."

"But it's night time, momma."

Switch sat up in bed. Momma was stuffing clothing into a sack. The little girl rubbed her tired eyes. Momma threw an itchy brown dress at her.

"Put that on. Hurry."

"Not the itchy one, momma! Where we going?"

"Put it on, my girl. Hurry!"

She sounded afraid.

"I don't wanna wear the itchy one, momma! I want the pink one."

Momma hurried to the bedside, grabbed her night shirt and yanked it off of her head. She tugged the itchy brown dress onto her, mercilessly dragging the rough clothing over her delicate skin. Switch whined.

"We've no time to fuss over dresses. We must hurry!"

Now there was an edge of anger in her tone.

"Momma, I need to pee."

"We must leave now! There's no time."

"I need to pee!" whining again.

"Hurry then!"

Momma's hands were shaking as she stuffed the remaining clothing into the sack.

"Momma, it's too dark. I need the stone."

"Pee in the dark. We must hurry!"

Her voice was shaking. She was listening, constantly looking at the door. Switch stumbled into the corner where her chamber pot sat.

"I can't see!"

"Well then piss on the floor! Hurry, Switch!"

"I want the light!"

Momma dropped the bag she was filling, and lifted the light stone from the chandelier. She threw it down at Switch's feet and the chamber pot rang with a hollow ding where the stone struck it. Switch peed. Momma went back to filling the bag with their clothing and other possessions.

"Where we going, momma?"

"The king has decreed that all children are to leave the city of Morlind. I'm taking you to the children's refuge by the sea."

"Why, momma?"

"Just you hurry! I'll tell you on the way!"

"But it's night time. Everything's dark. How will we walk in the dark?"

"We were supposed to leave two weeks ago, with the caravans, but your father wouldn't allow it. He still won't. He's gone out now. That's why we have to hurry!"

"But I don't want to leave, momma. I'm tired!"

"Switch! Now!"

Momma's voice was a loud angry hiss now. Her patience had worn down to a rough edge. Switch stood there, tired, and confused, looking around at her little room. Then she started crying."

"I can't find my shoes!"

"Keep quiet, Switch!"

Switch cried louder.

"My shoes!"

Momma, whose patience had already worn out, suddenly rushed forward and slapped her hand over the child's mouth. She pushed her backward into the wall and glared fiercely into her eyes.

"Your shoes are by the bed. You will put them on. You will stop crying. You will come quietly with me and do everything I tell you, when I tell you. If you do not, I will punish you very badly. Do you understand?"

Switch's eyes, shining with tears and terror, peeked out from over momma's hand. She whimpered, staring back into momma's angry eyes, blinking.

"We must go, now," momma said.

Switch nodded. Momma let go of her, her hands still shaking, and looked over her shoulder at the door.

"Hurry then." Momma grabbed a bag of coins from a jar on the mantle and stuffed them into her bag.

Switch put on her shoes. The girl and her mother crept down the stairs. Her dress was itching already. Why did she have to wear this one? It was horrible--like being wrapped in ropes! Why couldn't she wear the pink one? It was so much prettier.

Father was not home. The lower quarters were quiet. The lightstones were veiled, and everything looked very dark and brown. She hadn't been allowed to leave the house in many days, not even to go shopping with momma when she shopped. This room had been her whole world for so many days she'd lost count--more than five for sure. Momma hitched the sack higher up onto her shoulder. It looked very heavy. They crossed the room and momma opened the door and peeked outside. Switch saw the sky in the doorway above momma's head.

"Switch, listen carefully. When I count to four, you run out the door and run across the street into that alley. Do you understand?"

"But momma!"

"Don't argue with me, child! If father or anyone he knows catches us, we'll be in desperate danger. We've got to get out now. Just do what I say. When I count to four, you run for the alley."

Switch looked around one last time, feeling anxious. Her life was suddenly changing. Her world was being yanked away from her. She had no say in the matter. She just wanted to go back to her little bed and go back to sleep. Her head was fuzzy. Her eyes were heavy. And the dress itched like dirty old ropes wrapped all around her.

"But..."

"One..."

"Momma!"

"Two..."

"Please, momma! I don't wanna-"

"Three..."

"Oh no..."

"Four!"

Momma opened the door and Switch ran. She ran across the street, under the dull grimy glow of street stones in their lanterns, over the bricks of the walk, slipping a bit on the slime of the street, and into the alley on the other side. It was dark over here. She ducked behind a barrel and looked back for her momma. Momma was peeking out the door, looking left and right, and then she came out, shut the door behind her and hurried across the street as well, to where Switch was, stumbling a bit and staggering under the weight of the bag she carried. She fell against the wall beside Switch, panting.

"Right. Good running, Switch. You did well. We're out."

"Momma, I don't want to leave."

Switch's tiredness and confusion were catching up to her again, now combined with fear. She began to cry again. Momma was not as angry and impatient with her this time though. They were out of the house, safe in a dark alley across the street. Instead, she hugged the little girl.

"It'll be alright, Switch. We've got some sneaking to do, and then a little swim, and then a long walk, but we'll be alright."

"A swim, momma?"

"We can't go out the main gate. We'll get in trouble. Children were supposed to be gone long ago. I shouldn't even been walking out the main gate at this hour, but all other gates are shut. Be a brave girl. We'll have an adventure, alright?"

"I'm tired. Can we sleep here and go in the morning?"

"No, Switch. Come on. Let's get going. The further away we get from anywhere father can find us, the better."

Momma got up first, slung the great bag over her shoulder, and started down the alley. Switch had no choice but to follow. She hurried along behind her, trying to keep up, trying to grab her hand, but momma shook her off and moved the bag from one shoulder to another.

"Why do the kids have to leave, momma?"

"The city is too dangerous, too many bad people. Little kids were getting hurt. King Morlind decreed that all children under seventeen years old should be evacuated to a refuge by the sea. It's many miles away."

"And we have to walk all the way?"

"Yes. We hope some stranger will let us ride on the back of a cart, but it were best that we talk to no one until we are far away from the city. Father may come looking for us."

"Why doesn't father want us to go where it's safe?"

Momma didn't know how to give a soft answer to that, so she spoke plainly.

"Father is one of the bad people, Switch."

"I don't like when he hits you, momma. I don't like hearing you screaming. It's scary."

Momma said nothing. They walked on, creeping tight against the wall, heading down a long dark alley, listening for danger. Switch didn't like being afraid. She wished she had her Granstone.

Suddenly she stopped.

"Momma!"

"Switch! Keep quiet!"

"Momma! My Granstone! My dolly!"

"No! Switch! No! You didn't forget your Granstone!"

Now Switch was crying fully, and nodding. Her Granstone was a calming stone that her momma had sown into the tummy of a little rag dolly for her. She'd had it since she was a baby in the cradle. She could not sleep without it.

"My dolly!"

Now, momma was crying too, silently. They weren't even out of the first alley and already the journey was stalled, near tragedy.

"Please Switch, let's go. We'll send for it when we get to the refuge. We can't go back! Don't you understand the danger!? We can't!"

"My dolly! My Granstone!"

Momma dropped the bag and slumped against the wall, closing her eyes. A tear welled and spilled down her cheek. Switch stood there crying, beyond consoling. She'd already been confused, tired, afraid, and now she was filled with desperate sorrow as well.

Momma wound up her strength once again, and spoke firmly.

"Switch, I know you love that dolly, but we can't go back now. We're away. It took us four weeks to get a chance like this, when father was away at night, but he's only to be gone an hour. That hour is nearly passed. We can't go back! I'm sorry!"

Switch would not hear it though. A panic filled her, swelling up in her suddenly, and she turned and ran for home, back down the alley they'd wandered into.

"Switch!"

She wouldn't stop though. Momma dropped the sack, and pursued. She caught up to her in the mouth of the alley, grabbed her and threw her against the wall, shaking her hard.

"Foolish child! We won't get a chance like this again!"

"I want my dolly!"

Switch's voice echoed in the alley. Momma slapped her hard across the face. Switch cried aloud, horrified. Momma had never hit her before. Her cheek suddenly stung, and glowed hotly.

"Forget the doll! We must go!"

"No! Dolly!" Switch hollered again, loud enough to be heard all the way to the street.

Momma grabbed her, and hugged her face into her breast, scanning frantically for anyone who might have heard them. She pulled her into the shadows.

"Foolish child!"

She was more afraid than angry this time.

Switch moaned into her chest, struggling to be free.

"Switch, stop! If I go get your dolly will you be quiet and be good?"

Switch nodded.

"Goodness. Saints protect me," she said, stammering. Switch could feel her shaking. "I'll try to sneak in. He may be home already. He may be out looking for us, but I'll try to sneak in. Saints protect me."

"It's under my pillow, momma. Dolly sleeps under my pillow."

Momma told her to wait where she was, and not move. Her hands were shaking badly and there were tears flowing down her face.

"Be good and quiet, Switch. Don't make a sound. I'll be back in thirty seconds."

Then momma ran back across the street and ducked into the door. Switch watched from the shadows, counting silently to herself.

"One... two... three..."

Her dolly was lying with one arm up above its head, underneath her pillow. Its yellow yarn hair was frayed and stringy. Its little shirt was ripped, sown, and resown. Its eyes and mouth locked in an eternal smile, sort of sleepy-looking. Momma would just snatch it up and run back out again.

"Fimteem... eleven... mimeteem..."

She didn't know the numbers very well past twelve, but she kept counting anyway. The rhythm comforted her. Why hadn't she grabbed her dolly in the first place? Why hadn't she thought of it? She was tired and itchy, confused and scared. That's why.

"Notherteem... whemteem... someteem..."

They weren't even numbers anymore, but the rhythm still soothed her. Her eyes peered from the darkness watching the door, watching for her momma to come popping out again and dashing across the street.

Her momma never came out though. Switch counted all the way up to doonteem-hundred and fimteem-twenty, and momma never came out. Switch heard a faint crashing though, and a scream. She crouched down further into the shadows, now suddenly feeling like her dolly wasn't really all that important after all.

"Premteem-hundred and fifty-teem..."

No. Her dolly wasn't important at all.

The door finally opened. Father stepped out, looking around, and suddenly hurried down the street to the left.

"Momma..."

Switch felt a horrible growling terror, ravishing her tummy like a caged dog trying to chew its way out. She felt thick and dizzy. She was shaking.

And then she ran for the door, suddenly, and without thinking. She had to get her momma out of there before father came back.

The door burst open and Switch stopped. The table was overturned. One of its legs were snapped off. Pottery was shattered everywhere. Bits of vegetables and bread were scattered around as well. Switch saw a glow behind a chair, lying on its side by the stairs... a blue glow, a calming glow. She walked up and saw that the glow was her dolly. It was in a hand. Her momma's hand.

Switch pushed the chair aside and fell down beside her, onto her knees. She shook her momma, not making a sound, not a whisper. Her momma's hair sprawled lifelessly upon the stairs, and her neck was twisted at an odd angle. It flopped sideways, like a large stone, and thumped onto the wooden stair. There was blood on her mouth, and her eyes stared blankly at the fireplace. Switch shook her again.

"Momma?" she whispered. "Momma, wake up. We have to go."

Momma didn't move. The snarling dog of panic in her tummy had nearly chewn its way free.

"Come. We must hurry."

Momma's eyes stared, not answering, not blinking. Switch patted her face, then slapped her. No handprint formed.

"Momma!"

Switch knew of only one place to check, one way to be sure of whether her momma was dead or alive. She didn't want to look though. Her momma had a small lifestone on a chain around her neck. If she was indeed dead, the stone would glow, lit by the energy of her departed lifeforce, the same way the Granstone was lit by the power of her grandmomma. Switch was too afraid to look though. She didn't want to believe her momma was really gone.

The child dropped her head to the woman's heart and wept. She wept for a long time, shaking momma every once in a while, but still she didn't move. Finally, not knowing what else to do, she pulled the dolly from her hand and backed away, leaning against the wall at the bottom of the stairs, rocking back and forth and crying silently. The angry dog in her tummy ran away when she held her dolly. Dolly was magic. She stared at the woman on the floor and told herself momma was just sleeping. She knew she wasn't though. She didn't need to look into her shirt and see the glow of the lifestone. She knew she was killed. Switch would have been screaming if it weren't for the calming effect of the Granstone in her dolly.

Father entered, dragging a barrel. He saw the girl sitting there on the floor, against the wall by her momma, and his face, a crazed panic, turned to an angry sneer.

"Get on upstairs, girl. Your mamma's had an accident. Father will take her to a healer."

A light dawned on Switch's face. A healer!? Could a healer fix momma? She looked over at her face again, but then flinched as father banged his fingers between the barrel and the doorframe and cursed aloud.

"Get on upstairs! Now!"

Switched jumped and ran. She was at the top of the stairs and in her room before she even knew she was moving. She crawled in between the wall and her bed, hugging her knees and her dolly and rocking in the corner, in the shadows. The room smelled of pee.

Father grunted and cursed to himself downstairs. Wood scraped across the floor. There were thumps and bumps. Switch shivered. She could feel the vibrations in the floor. Then a bang, and she shuddered. Father was drunk, and whatever he was doing was difficult.

Thump, thump, thump.

Another bang. More cursing.

Then all was quiet. So quiet the silence began to scare her more than the banging.

She waited. She waited until her bum was sore from sitting on the hard wooden floor, and then she got up. She went to her door and opened it. She went to the top of the stairs and looked down. Momma was gone. There was snoring.

Momma got up, all better, and went to the healer! Everything's okay.

Switch wanted to believe it, but she didn't. She would have heard momma talking. She would have heard father yelling at her like he always does.

Maybe she ran out when he wasn't looking, ran out looking for her in the alley.

But her neck was twisted at such an odd angle, and her eyes never blinked.

Switch crept down the stairs. Father was sitting at the now righted table and sleeping in a chair with a mug of ale in front of him. The barrel stood beside the stairs. Momma was gone.

She went to a healer. She's all better now. She's-

That's when Switch saw the hair, blonde hair sticking out of the rim of the barrel. She walked slowly up and looked, trying to convince her horrified mind that it was something else, not her momma's blonde hair. The lid was on, sealed, and except for a tuft of hair protruding out and hanging over the rim on one side, it looked like a normal old barrel.

Momma never went to a healer. She's inside the barrel. Father killed her. He put her in the barrel. He's gonna go hide her somewhere.

She's dead. Momma's dead.

Then she saw it. There, around father's neck, was her momma's lifestone, glowing with a soft pink hue. He had taken it off of her. Now it was true. Switch could no longer deny it to herself.

Dolly fell from her hand, and hit the wooden floorboard with a dry thump. The wild angry dog returned to her tummy instantly. Only this time it wasn't a horrible fear she felt, but hatred. Hot tears flowed down her face and she stared without blinking. Her teeth clenched tightly together behind her quivering lips. She stared at father for a long time as he snored in the chair. His chest rose and fell. His head sagged to one side.

He killed momma. He was one of the bad people.

Switch's eyes narrowed to slits and she stared at him long and hard, unmoving, barely even blinking. She thought of momma. She thought of the screams she'd heard, and the thumping. She thought of her momma, in a barrel. Then her eyes fell to the cup on the table, and the pitcher of ale next to it.

She turned away and walked to the back of the house. She pulled the trap door up and crept down into the cellar. At the back of the cellar she found a paper envelope tied with string. There was a skull on it. It was the paper her momma told her never to touch. It was for the rats.

"Even a little bit will kill you."

She opened the enveloped and smelled it. It smelled of grain. It was sandy coloured powder.

She crept back upstairs with it and poured the powder into an empty mug. She filled that mug with ale from the pitcher, silently and carefully, trying not to spill a drop. Then she mixed it with a spoon.

Father never stirred.

Then she switched the mug in front of him with the poisoned mug, placing it in the exact same position, with the handle toward his twitching hand. She poured the good ale back into the pitcher and put the mug back on the shelf. Then she walked over, stepping on Dolly in the middle of the cluttered floor, and sat down at the bottom of the stairs.

She waited there for an hour, dozing at times, but snapping awake at the slightest motion from father. Eventually he stirred in his chair, rolled his neck, glanced over at the barrel, and shivered. Then he took a long, slow chug of the mug in front of him, grimmacing at the taste when he slammed the empty mug down onto the table again. He didn't notice Switch sitting there in the shadows. He went to rise from his chair, staggered a bit and fell back down into sitting again, holding his troubled gut with a trembling hand. He poured another mug full of ale and downed that one as well. Switch watched in cold silence. The dog growled in her stomach: hatred. The dog growled cold ugly hatred.

Father went to sleep, and never rose again.

She watched him take his last breath and then counted. When she counted up to froomteem-hundred, and he still hadn't taken another breath, she got up and lifted her momma's lifestone from his neck. She put it around her own neck and tucked it into her shirt. Father never had a lifestone when he died. His lifeforce dissipated into the void. He was lost, gone, forgotten forever, suffering a lightless death and fading into eternal black. Switch shivered, but the thought made the angry hateful dog inside her lie down and rest—not sleeping, but no longer growling hatefully inside her.

Switch picked up dolly, and crept out the door into the black night of the city of Morlind.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.