The Mirror Cracked - Cover

The Mirror Cracked

Copyright© 2007 by RussellG

Chapter 8

Castle Wyvern: The Great hall.

Elisa, Matt, and Argent broke the news of their findings at the Perez's family business to Goliath as soon as he awakened. Upon hearing the news, Goliath called for a special meeting in the great hall. Delilah and Argent were sent back to the Labyrinth to fetch Talon, Maggie, and Claw. As soon as they arrived, Owen escorted Xanatos, along with his wife and son to their seats at the table. Xanatos shot a questioning look at Goliath because this was the first such meeting that he had ever been invited to.

"All right Goliath, your invitation intrigued me." Xanatos looked around the room at those assembled. "I understand why Derek and his clan are here, as they work more closely with you than I do... but was I included? You've never invited me to one of your strategy sessions before, why now?

Goliath rose from his seat and faced the diverse group. "What I am about to say effects us all. Earlier today an attack was made on the business of the Perez family." A murmur of surprise went through the room. Goliath continued. "No one was hurt, but in the investigation something was found that could effect us all. Elisa, called Argent down to see if he could help to try and identify those that were responsible."

"That makes sense," Brooklyn said. "He'd be able to track them down just by their scent."

Goliath nodded. "Yes, but this time something else was discovered along with a scent." Goliath held up a copy of the handprint found on the counter top. "This handprint was found at the scene, it matches Argent's own, as did the scent that he found. These were in places that he had never been, and were fresh... only hours old."

Matt's cell phone rang, and after conversing with the person on the other end he folded it and addressed the group. "That was the police lab. I had a couple of them go back again to do a more thorough sweep. They found hairs on the floor in front of the counter. Red hair."

"Demona?" asked Lex.

Goliath shook his head. "No not in broad daylight, she would be in her human form and would be noticed. This attacker was not seen."

"The lab had a hard time identifying the hair... but they think it belongs to some kind of animal." He looked over towards Argent for a moment. "They think it might belong to a wolf."

Xanatos was the first of the group to put two and two together. "So... you think that Sevarius has created another Argent, and that he was the one responsible?"

"There can be no other answer," Goliath said. "It was always a possiblity that upon losing Argent that he might create another to serve him."

Xanatos considered the implications. "If Anton did create another Argent, this one would be under his control and therefore very dangerous." He turned to Owen. "Could another Argent penetrate the security measures?"

Owen adjusted his glasses. "Current measures could be circumvented by a being of Argent's abilities, counter measures could be in place with Argent's co-operation in their testing within a few days."

"I'll help out however I can," Argent said while standing.

Xanatos nodded his thanks. "Tell R&D that they have hours, not days. I want the building secure from attack as soon as possible."

"If Sevarius did create another Argent, why would he order him to attack the Perez's?" Angela asked the group. "Sevarius couldn't know of their connection to him."

"Good point," Brooklyn voiced from his seat near Goliath. "Could Sevarius be tracking his movements?"

"Could be a might simpler than that," said Hudson. "It could be the doctor's new creation was drawn there by Argent's scent."

Goliath looked thoughtful for a moment. "That might be one explanation, but somehow the co-incidence seems too remote not to have a connection to Sevarius."

"Or someone else," Delilah said while looking into Argent's eyes. "Remember someone else hates both you and the Gargoyles just as much as Sevarius does. Someone who you met near the Perez's."

Argent's eyes went wide. "Demona?" Delilah nodded.

"What Delilah says might have merit," Xanatos rose from his seat and paced the floor. "Creating a being like Argent would be very costly. Anton might have had the funds once, but would need a new cash influx in order to duplicate the process." He turned and faced Goliath. "She has been alive for a long time, and has amassed quite a fortune that has grown since she and Thialog created Nightstone Ltd. With Thialog missing, and most likely dead, she would be the sole owner... and she would have the funds to have Anton duplicate his project. It wouldn't be the first time she's employed his twisted genius."

"Aye," said Hudson. "She could have had Sevarius make him as a first step to building a new clan, one that would be loyal to her."

"A clan of Argent's is something that I would not like to see Demona heading," Goliath said. "But for now we won't jump to any conclusions, but we shall take no chances either." He rose from his seat. "We shall split into three groups tonight. Argent, you Delilah and Bronx will stay here to guard the castle and to help Xanatos's technician's secure it from attack. Lexington, Broadway and Angela will be the first patrol unit while Hudson, myself, and Brooklyn will comprise the second. Make sure to keep communications open at all times and be sure to stay on guard for anything unexpected."

Talon rose up and stood next to Goliath. "Maggie, Claw, and I will help patrol the city if you need us."

"No. If Sevarius has created another hunter he may be programmed to attack you, as Argent once was. You will be needed by those in the Labyrinth for protection." Goliath placed his hands on Talon's shoulders. "But your offer is a welcome one, and was not unexpected." He motioned to Lexington, who brought each of the Mutates a communications unit. "I had Lexington make each of you one of these to keep in touch, even underground. If we need you we call for assistance, and if you have need of our help then you can call for our aide as well."

Talon and Maggie placed the tiny units on their belts, and the ear pieces in their ears. Claw gave Lex a questioning look.

"I know you can't use the Mic to talk," Lex said. "That's why I made yours a little different." He held the unit up for Claw to look at. "Your unit has a built-in keypad, and a send button. What ever you type in is translated into speech by the communication system's computer, then transmitted for the rest of us to hear."

Claw looked skeptical.

"Go ahead and try it," urged Lex.

Claw tapped out a brief message on the keypad, and hit the send button for all to hear. A slightly familiar voice came through the ear pieces. "Is this really going to work?" it asked.

Claw was stunned, while Maggie and Derek laughed out loud. "You gave it Mel Gibson's voice to use?" Maggie asked while still laughing.

The rest of the Gargoyles looked at Lex, who mearly shrugged. "Well I thought it was a good voice, if Claw wants me to change it..."

Claw shook his head and a very firm, but pleasent "No" came to the ears of those that could hear it.

"All he needs now is a kilt, and a big sword", joked Brooklyn.

Everyone else grinned, but the biggest smile of all was worn by Claw, who now had a voice, albeit an electronic one.

After everyone had left to go about their assigned patrols, Argent accompanied Owen down to the lab. The technicians attached electrodes and EEG leads to him and studied the readouts as he used his biological stealth field to become invisible. They had him do this several times, as well as trying different types of sensor equipment to register his presence.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.