Gate - Cover

Gate

Copyright© 2007 by Volentrin

Chapter 2

I was poked, prodded, and my left arm manipulated, 'till I wanted to commit murder. While I had a great deal of mobility back, I was still considered disabled. I received seventy-five percent of my base pay as my disability payment. That was more than enough to live on, as it gave me well over two thousand tax-free dollars a month.

After I left the hospital, my shoulder hurt like hell from the workout it had been given. I had taken a Vicodin. 5 mg of the Vicodin, and 500 mg of acetaminophen all rolled up into one magic painkiller pill. Better living through chemistry. I feared getting hooked on the stuff, so I used them only when I had to.

I drove from the VA to my parent's house. My sister was there, having gotten home from school, already. We visited a bit then she went off and did her homework, while I waited for mom and dad to get home. Most likely I would spend the night. This is what I did when I came for my monthly therapy and doctor visits.

One thing came out of this particular visit though. I had left a bag full of fatigues, extra boots, and some severe cold weather gear, that I had bought as 'extras' while in the military. It was all stored here at mom and dad's. I was going to take it home with me, this time.

The next morning, everyone was listening to the news when I got up. I grabbed a cup of coffee, and made my way to the living room. Another weather front was moving in, and my parents automatically invited me to ride the storm out with them. I decided to drive home and try to beat the storm, as I lived just two hours away.

The best laid plans and all that. I was only halfway home when it started snowing. The snow started sticking to the road, and I had to reduce my speed several times, as the road conditions got worse.

I finally pulled into my carport, some four hours after reaching the halfway point! That's how bad the storm had gotten. Still, I was home safe and sound. I got my bag from the truck and carried it inside with me.

The first thing I did after dropping my bag, was to call my folks, and let them know I was fine. Then I took off my coat, and built a fire in the fireplace. Nothing was nicer than a roaring fire during a storm. I then made something to eat, and sat in front of the fire and ate it.

I knew better than to try to watch TV during the storm. I always lost the signal for my satellite dish when it stormed. Rain or snow, it didn't matter... 'signal lost' was all I got on the TV.

Finally, after four straight days of snow, it stopped. I grinned to myself. While the weather had conspired to keep me from exploring that cave, as well as other real life things, there was now nothing stopping me from doing anything I chose. Now that my way was clear, I was going to go check out that cave.

I grabbed a set of winter fatigues, boots, a field jacket with liner, gloves, and a small backpack with items I might need to explore a cave. I made sure to grab my pistol belt and put two one-quart canteens loaded with water on them. I topped this off with a night-cap, and I was ready... well, almost.

I grabbed my .30-30, and made sure I had enough rounds to take care of any conceivable emergency.

The snow would not be a problem. I had bought an old set of army skies. They could be used with army boots as either cross country skies, or downhill skis. They might not be the prettiest skis around, but they were serviceable.

That was how I would get to the cave, by using them as cross country skis.

After putting on my skis, I put on my backpack, with all the equipment I could conceive of needing. Then I picked up my rifle.

I had seen bears in the distance, before, and there was no way I was going out unarmed. My rifle was easily powerful enough to take out a bear, if it came to that.

I finally made it to where the cave was located, and discovered the entrance was snowed over. After taking off my skis, I took off my backpack. I took the entrenching tool out of its carrying case, which had been attached to the back of my backpack.

I cleared an area, stomping it down good. Then I got busy digging out the opening.


Forty minutes later, I had the opening cleared, and snow piled high around me. I took a long drink of water. People didn't realize how easy it is to dehydrate in the winter. They just didn't feel the need for water until much too late. I had learned better in the military.

After drinking some much needed water, I grabbed my flashlight from my backpack. I settled the pack on my back, and I entered the cave cautiously. My flashlight was powered by a huge six volt battery, and it threw out enough light to light a good sized area.

There were no wild animals tracks in the vicinity, that I could detect. No raccoons, bears, badgers... nothing. So far so good.

After entering the cave, I had a short crawl, then I was able to stand in a sort of natural gallery. It was about fifty feet wide. The ceiling seemed to be about fifteen feet over my head. My light could not penetrate to the other end. It was much warmer inside the cave than it was, outside; but that was only natural.

I looked at the floor of the cave. It was dusty. Nothing had disturbed the dust for some time, not even any animals.

I put my light down and removed my backpack. I opened it and took out a fat candle. I had quite a few of these. I would use them as markers. I also had a few dozen chem light sticks. I activated a couple of them. There was safety in a well-made plan. I did not plan on getting lost in here!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.