Gamma Mutants - Cover

Gamma Mutants

Copyright© 2007 by Cylis Derrens

Chapter 2

Onen Ven had trained with Nerem Tu. Each had received their own commands, showing the leadership requirements in order to carry the war to the Dafi.

Moving through the streets of the capital his unit connected up with Tu's unit after entering the city. Nerem greeted his brother in arms smiling at him warmly.

"It is good to see you again my friend." Nerem said.

"And you too Nerem. I hear you are responsible for making a hole in Dafi lines." Onen replied clapping his friend on the back.

"Which I never would have been able to do without your intelligence. It was you who broke into one of their key intelligence outposts." Nerem said.

"These Dafi are far too arrogant. I expect this war to be over soon enough." Onen said showing a cocky smile.

"Be careful brother, lest we too become overconfident and share in their fate." Nerem said with a straight face.

"You've always been far too serious. Even the older veterans call you "grandpa"." Onen said teasingly.

Nerem refused to rise to the bait.

"I look forward to it someday. My first born; a girl was born yesterday." Nerem said with both pride and sadness.

"You didn't have to be on this mission. You've done more than enough already. I could have finished this on my own." Onen said sympathetically.

"As a father I have a duty to provide a better world for my child. The Dafi threaten that. If we defeat them here we have a chance to end this war quickly." Nerem said.

Onen and the others could not help but admire Nerem. For him there was no end to duty and honor.

The man lived and breathed in every breath and heartbeat. Onen trusted the man with his life.

"It is an honor to be here with again my friend, fighting side by side. Come on. Let's finish this." Onen said.

"Besides." Nerem added, "Someone has to keep you out of trouble."

"Who me?" Onen said in mock shock.

"Like it was in training, you always seemed to get yourself into trouble." Nerem said jokingly.

"And like a good big brother you are always there to get me out again. My future children thank you." Onen said with a confident smile.

"Just don't do anything stupid, or incredibly brave. I don't want to get shot again." Nerem said motioning for them to move out.

"What? You healed!" Onen said.

"Of course I healed, but it still hurt like hell. Do it again and you and I will have a few "things" to work out." Nerem said shooting his friend a glare over his shoulder.

All of their troops could barely hold back their laughter. For the two sworn brothers this was getting along with each other and all of them knew it.

Moving through alleys and streets the two elite units moved efficiently. Nerem and Onen knew the other man well enough to predict their movements.

The Dafi however had trouble tracking them in their own city. When one struck, the other hid sometimes using the sewer system to disappear until they were ready to strike again.

Popping up somewhere else they would attack a surprised Dafi patrol before moving on.

When the main Gamma Mutant force attacked the city they faced a confused and demoralized enemy. Only then did they realize that they had been fooled and all was lost.

In a matter of hours the capital was taken, and the Dafi not captured already having fled.

Nerem and Onen were named the greatest heroes of the war. The Dafi were soon forced from the planet bit by bit.

Thousands of Dafi ships left their homeworld seeking life elsewhere and the victors watched them go before rebuilding civilization.

While Onen stayed in the military Nerem retired now happy to see the war was over. All he wanted to do was be left in peace and raise a family.

Had destiny been kind it would have left the two men in peace, but this was not to be so.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.