Stanly Bromly- Gentleman Adventurer(1) - Cover

Stanly Bromly- Gentleman Adventurer(1)

Copyright© 2007 by aubie56

Chapter 3

The adventure with the two stagecoach robbers operating together convinced Stan that he needed something better than the Kentucky rifle or the throwing knives as weapons. The rifle was a single shot device which took too long and was too awkward to reload to be of much use in normal combat. On the other hand, the trowing knives were adequate in many cases, but the range was too short and too much room was required for the swing of the throwing arm.

A double barreled shotgun would be adequate, but, again, it was awkward to reload in the heat of combat. Stan thought that what he really needed was a double barreled shotgun which was easy and fast to reload. The reloading convenience would be solved by loading at the hammers, but how was he to manage that?

The French had introduced the paper "cartridge" some time ago; he could use that to hold the powder and the shot, but how was he to set off the charge? The percussion cap might solve that problem, but Stan was reluctant to fumble with something the size of a pea while someone was trying to kill him.

Some months ago, he had the good fortune to meet a clever and gifted gunsmith, Amos Goldman. Perhaps he could advise Stan and come up with a solution to the problem. Thus, that afternoon, Stan set off for Mr. Goldman's shop. Stan arrived at the shop and greeted the proprietor with a hearty handshake (Stan was learning how to be "western"). Stan explained his problem and asked for help.

Goldman said, "I never heard of a weapon such as you describe, Mr. Bromly. Shotguns are traditionally loaded through the muzzle and I am not aware of anyone trying to do otherwise. Certainly, a shotgun could be converted to break open at the hammers, but how would you load it without spilling everything down the barrel?"

"I wonder if one could adapt the paper cartridge to contain powder and shot in a single package which could be put in at the rear of the barrel and set off with a percussion cap."

"That would, indeed, be a novel solution to the problem, but I can see several complications. For one, in your hurry to reload, it would be easy to tear the paper cartridge and spill the powder and shot where you don't want it. On the other hand, I believe that I could design a brass case which could be used to hold the shot, powder, and primer as one piece. You wouldn't be inclined to damage a brass case in your haste to reload. Such a brass case would be expensive, but you could save the empty cases and reload them. That way, you could reuse the brass case and not need so many of them."

"A capital idea, Mr. Goodman! Would you undertake to make such a shotgun and ammunition for me? Do you have any idea what the complete ensemble would cost?"

"I have no idea what the cost would be, right now. However, I can assure you that it would be expensive."

"Oh, bother the cost! My life is more valuable to me that a few dollars. Please start on the project as soon as you can."

"Very well, Mr. Bromly. You realize that some experimentation will be necessary and there may be some failures along the way that you will have to pay for. If there are no great difficulties, I expect that this project will still take at least 6 months to complete. I will start immediately. Could you advance me $100 to purchase the starting materials?"

"Certainly, Mr. Goldman. Here is the money. May I have a receipt?"

Stan returned to his hotel, confident that his shotgun would be all that he hoped.


Stan had got into the habit of stopping by to see Amos Goldman once a week to be brought up to date on the progress of the project. At last, he was told to stop by on the following Tuesday and Goldman would have something for Stan to try out. Stan spent 4 restless nights until Tuesday; he could hardly wait.

Stan arrived at the shop on Tuesday before the gunsmith did. So far, the gun and ammunition had cost him over $1200, and he was anxious to see the final product.

"Come in, Mr. Bromly. I have the shotgun and ammunition here for you to see. It is ready to try out and there is a vacant lot in the next block that we can use as a test firing range. Would you like to go right away?"

"I certainly would, Mr. Goldman. Let's go immediately!"

Stan practically ran to the vacant lot to try out his new toy. He had already seen the early stages of development, so he knew what he had to do to operate the shotgun. He opened the breach and inserted two shells. As quickly as possible, he raised the gun to his shoulder and fired, first one barrel and then the other. Immediately, he dropped the gun from his shoulder and broke it open. The two used shells jumped out and Stan dropped two more into the gun. He raised it to his shoulder and fired again and again.

Stan was absolutely ecstatic with the operation of the shotgun. Everything had worked well and he had been able to reload and fire so quickly that he was sure that he would have a marked advantage in any gunfight. He looked at the wall he had used for a backstop and saw four distinct marks where the shot had hit. He had deliberately changed his target each shot so that he could see the pattern the shot made as it hit the wall. The patterns were so nearly perfect that he could find nothing to complain about. He turned to look at Goldman and the two men beamed at each other like two little boys who had found a treasure.

"Mr. Goldman, you have produced a masterpiece. This must be the Stradivarius of shotguns."

"Thank you, Mr. Bromly. Your praise warms my heart. Let's return to my shop and discuss further options."

After they returned to the shop, Goldman asked if there were any changes that Stan might want. Stan said that there wasn't anything he could think of, now, but he might need some minor adjustments after he had used the shotgun for a while.

Goldman then said, "You have four empty brass shells and six unfired shells. I am sure that you want me to refill the empty shells and make you some additional shells. I will refill the empty shells for you for 10 cents each and I will make you new shells for $1.00 each. I hope those numbers are acceptable."

"Those prices are acceptable. Pleas refill these four empties and make me 90 more shells. I note that you have used #00 buckshot in the shells; that is quite satisfactory. Please use the same for the other shells. How much additional do I owe you for the shotgun and do you want me to pay you now for the additional shells?"

"No, Mr. Bromly, you have paid quite enough for that weapon, and you can pay me for the additional shells when you pick them up in two weeks."

Stan left with a handshake and went to a leather worker for a belt to carry his extra shells. The leather worker suggested that he wear the belt over one shoulder instead of around his waist, because the weight of 100 shells could be uncomfortable and awkward. Stan agreed and left one of the shells to be used as a pattern for the shell loops. He was told that the belt would be ready Saturday; he could pick it up then.

By Saturday when Stan picked up his new belt, he was chomping at the bit to get a job where he could use his new shotgun. A few days later, he was rewarded for his "patience."

A very distraught woman came to Stan's hotel suite and hired him to find her husband, who had been kidnapped and held for ransom. She had three days to come up with $15,000 dollars and deliver it in a carpet bag to a specified location in the hills behind Oakland. She accepted Stan's standard contract and he promised to deliver the ransom money and do what he could to recover her husband and the money.

On the day before he was supposed to deliver the money, Stan dropped by Goldman's shop to pick up any of the shotgun shells that might be available. Fortunately for Stan, 53 of the shells were ready. Stan paid for them and returned to his hotel suite where he put the shells in his new belt and tried it on for weight and adjustment. It was somewhat heavier than Stan had expected, but not so much that the newness and novelty didn't cancel out the weight. Stan was quite strong and should be able to cope with the added weight.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.