Kenshiro Added Chapters - Cover

Kenshiro Added Chapters

Copyright© 2007 by Cylis Derrens

Chapter 1: Troy

To the north of Greece ruled a self made king called Erestus. At first Agamemnon sought to rule him as he did other men, but in Erestus he found an indomitable force he had not reckoned on. Three times did Erestus and his warriors defeat Agamemnon and his army, three times did Erestus drive them back. When at last Agamemnon came to terms that Erestus could not be ruled by force of arms he chose a different tactic to gain use of him.

Meeting Erestus in the mountains North of Greece that was the home of the strange warrior king a pact was formed. Agamemnon would pay for the use of Erestus and his army and they would take part in the spoils of war like any other Greek soldier. The Eres as they came to be called fought for Agamemnon bringing him many victories in Greece. When all was said and done Erestus and his army returned home leaving Agamemnon King of Greece. When Helen wife of Menelaus who was the brother of Agamemnon was taken to Troy Agamemnon called for Erestus to come to his aid but the Erestus did not. "You have your kingdom Agamemnon. I have done my part. Now leave me in peace." Erestus sent to him. "You will come because I have need of you. There are many riches in Troy. Fight for me and you can take them. If need be I will give you Troy itself. Come for we will find glory and honor there." Agamemnon said. "King Priam has never brought any harm upon me. He has not threatened me or been the cause of any ill will. I have no quarrel with him. My pact with you is for Greece and that for that alone. You offer me a city that would see burned and pillaged for Priam is an old rival of yours. I want no part of this conquest but I shall come but not to conquer. I will come to see that Troy is not burned, and its people not carried away. From nearby I shall witness your siege of Troy. Deal with me falsely and I shall aid them I promise you. If you show that you intend to keep your promise my army will aid yours when I deem the time has come, but remember the promise you gave. The lives of Priam and all his people are mine to deal with. Should I aid you I will claim them all. Gold you may have as well as whatever riches you can find but the people and the city itself are mine." Erestus replied and Agamemnon agreed.

When Hector saw the Greek ships approach a beach a second messenger told him that another army was camped northeast of Troy but they were making no move to attack. "What are they doing?" Hector asked his dark brown hair and beard waving in the wind. "They are camped and building fortifications it seems. They are just sitting there and are not advancing. What shall we do Prince Hector?" The messenger asked. "Have you told my father?" Hector asked. The messenger nodded replying, "He said to ask you. You are the commander of our army." Thinking for a few moments Hector said, "Send messages to their commander and ask his business here. I have no doubt it has to do with the Greeks but let us be sure of his intentions." The messenger bowed and left. The messenger who had first come to Hector about the new arrival returned with little. The entire day Hector had been busy fighting off the Greeks and the other army had not moved. "What did he say?" Hector asked. "He is Erestus King of Eres. He has come to see that Agamemnon does not bring unnecessary harm to Troy's people or the city itself. Until he is sure of this he waits." The messenger said. Hector was unsure how to act in this situation. Counseling with his father and the King's advisers he sought the reason for the other King's delay. "Why does he care and why does he wait?" Hector asked. "I have heard of Erestus. He has no wife or children of any kind. He is a self made man who built a kingdom and became rich fighting wars. He first fought Agamemnon and was never defeated only to join him in conquering Greece." Priam said. "He sounds like a common warlord to me father." Hector said not liking the view he saw of the man. "Do not be too hard on him son. The fact that he has not fought for the Greeks yet says something. I have also read reports that he came here only reluctantly. Agamemnon had to have said something very interesting even for Erestus to come. He could have just as easily have stayed in Eres and risked nothing. I have no doubt that he is hesitating on something. Perhaps you should speak to him. Erestus is an honorable man who will not attack an enemy under a banner of truce unless his enemy breaks it." Priam replied patiently. Hector agreed and rode out to meet Erestus.

Riding into the fort Erestus had ordered built from logs cut to make walls and dwellings inside Hector met a man in black armor. "Show me to your master. I would speak of him." Hector said. The man looked like all the other armored men beside him. His face was well covered by the helm he carried and he bore a shield, sword, and a long spear. The shield he wore at his back. Hector noted that the metal of his armament was not bronze but another metal. This was also true of the other men of the camp.

"I will show you to the tent you speak of. The rest of these men will see to your horses and companions." The man said indicating the guards eyeing him. Training and experience had taught them not to trust. Many had wanted to kill their leader, and they were determined for such people to fail as they always had before.

As Hector walked with his one man escort the escort said, "What is your business with the King if I may ask?" Glancing at him Hector replied, "I wish to learn more about him. My father seems to think highly of him. I am not so sure that I trust his intentions or his word. I have come to find out for myself." Chuckling at this the escort said, "So you walk into the Lion's den. You are either brave or extremely foolish." Arriving at the tent Hector found it empty except for the escort and himself. "Where is your King? Is this some trap?" Hector asked his hand going to his sword handle. Raising a hand to halt him the escort said, "Be still Hector Prince of Troy. I wish you no harm, the fact that I did not kill you when you entered my camp so attest to that." Hector's hand moved away from his blade as he said, "Your camp? Then that means you are Erestus." Chuckling again Erestus replied, "Yes I am. Now that you have seen me ask your question." Getting over his shock Hector asked, "You spoke of a keeping Agamemnon from harming the people of Troy. Why should that matter to a warlord?" Erestus raised an eyebrow replying, "I'm not sure I like your tone." Thinking about his father's advice Hector apologized saying, "I'm meant no insult but you understand my concerns." Nodding Erestus said, "Of course. In truth I watching to see what Agamemnon will do first. You no doubt see my dilemma as well: If I join either side I make war with the other. I am only one king prudence dictates that I choose carefully."

Hector couldn't fault Erestus for his line of thinking, though having met the man he would have rather have had Erestus on his side. Priam had been right about the man. Erestus was delaying but for a specific purpose. One side would have to force his hand if Erestus was to become involved soon, but Hector did not intend to be that man. Something told him that Agamemnon would be the one, the question was when?

The answer would come sooner than either man might have expected. Agamemnon heard of Hector's visit to Erestus from his scouts and immediately went to meet the King of Eres. Meeting in front of Erestus' tent Agamemnon accused him. "Why do you consort with my enemy? Are you planning to betray me? Your actions are those of a traitor and a dishonorable man! We had an agreement!" Agamemnon shouted. With a deadly calm Erestus said, "If I were a dishonorable man I would have you killed right now." With a snap of his fingers armed men surrounded Agamemnon and his small escort with weapons drawn. As Agamemnon and his men drew their swords they realized that this could be the last moments. Holding up his hand Erestus held halted his men. "But lucky for you I am an honorable man. I have kept neutral until this moment, but no one threatens me especially not in front of my own tent. Because of that I'll allow you to leave my camp safely, but do not test my good will. From now on consider me your enemy and our pact officially over." Erestus said with venom in his voice while his face remained a cold hard mask. As Agamemnon left Erestus called for a messenger. "Tell King Priam that he now has a new ally in his war whether he likes it or not." Erestus said. All of his men looking at their king were glad that they were not the focus of his foul mood.

Erestus entered Troy with an escort close behind. The gates closed behind as he rode into the city streets and up to the palace. He was greeted on the steps by Hector along with his brother Paris and Helen of Troy: the woman who started the conflict. Paris was a handsome dark haired boy small and boyish in body. Helen was the picture of Blonde beauty. Her golden blonde hair was done up in lovely Braids. A white dress of fine linen hung on her body. He had a slender figure that could any man's eye along with the face of an angel. "Greetings King Erestus. The woman beside me is..." Paris said. "... Is Helen. The one they say is the most beautiful woman in Greece." Erestus said cutting him off. Glancing at her he looked at Paris with disdain. "If it were up to me boy I would give her back to the Greeks if I thought it would end this war. Lucky for you it was the excuse Agamemnon needed to destroy Troy, and not the sole purpose of his being here. Now Prince Hector I would speak with you and your father and leave such foolishness to children." Erestus said walking past Paris. Paris bowed his head in shame while Helen comforted him in her arms. Erestus' words stung them both revealing that only too late had they had considered the consequences of their actions. Now because of them Troy could fall to the Greeks, and dealing with such superior numbers that seemed entirely possible.

Erestus gave his counsel aiding in the planning against the invaders. Walking through the city he began looking it over. "What are you looking at?" Hector asked. "The most ideal places to place catapults and siege weapons to defend Troy. It is time to further lessen our enemy's numbers without risking either of our armies. Once we have them setup you will see what they can do." Erestus said. Erestus as Hector found was certainly a man of his word. With the aid of Eres engineers who were part of Erestus' army they placed them throughout the city. With the first barrage hit the Greeks they ran to get out of range. After that they were hesitant to venture too close as more rocks seemed to strike them as well as any other projectiles the allied defenders could muster. Greek morale suffered as more and more of them fell without even coming close to the walls. Those that did fell to arrows from archers from the wall as well as ballistae firing large harpoon like projectiles made of steel piercing men and armor. Burning hot oil poured from the walls scalding them by the hundreds.

Priam's advisers called for an attack. "That would be unwise. We can defend Troy. What need have we to risk all? If we leave them be lessening morale will do our work for us." Erestus said. "We respect your counsel Erestus. It has proven invaluable thus far, but we must end this war once and for all. Now we have a chance to do while the Greeks are weak. We must drive them from our shores or this war will go on for years." Priam said rising from his throne. "Will you help us King Erestus?" Priam asked. "So be it, but I still abject to it. I tie my fortune and that of my army to Troy." Erestus said. It was then that Paris approached Hector and Erestus saying, "I am coming with you. Too long have I let others fight a war I am responsible for."

"You show bravery lad, but you are also foolhardy. It is bad enough to risk one prince of Troy. To risk two especially when the second is inexperienced is too much, besides your new wife would miss you." Erestus said. "She is not my wife, not yet. When this war is over perhaps we will. The trouble is will she marry a coward or a man who fought for the people he put in danger? I am no hero. I just want to look her in the eye one day and not be ashamed of who I am." Paris said. It was obvious Hector did not like putting his younger brother in danger. "You can't protect him forever Prince Hector. The boy must grow up some time." Erestus said.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.