Cletus Tucker(4) - Cover

Cletus Tucker(4)

Copyright© 2007 by aubie56

Chapter 14

New Mexico Territory, September, 1877

Cletus rode into Las Cruces with one thing on his mind: to find Ellie and Roland. As he rode down the street, all he could think of was the joy of seeing them again. He rode into the courtyard of the house and spotted Roland playing with some other children; of course, Roland did not recognize Cletus. That was OK, Cletus didn't expect to be remembered by such a young child.

There was Ellie, carrying a basket in from the garden. Cletus called to her and she dropped the basket to run to him. He jumped from his horse and ran to embrace her. The met in a flurry of hugs and kisses. "Ellie, I'm here to stay!" Cletus announced with all the conviction he had. Ellie exploded with joy at this announcement and called for Roland to join them.

Roland ran up and and Ellie introduced him to his father, a man he had forgotten completely. Roland solemnly put out his hand and Cletus took it with equal solemnity; then Cletus swept Roland up in his arms and hugged Roland as if the world of joy had just opened up for him, which it had!

That evening, as they were getting ready for bed, Cletus announced to Ellie that he was going out the next day to find a job. He said that he thought his best bet would be driving a freight wagon, so that was where he would look first. Ellie suggested that he talk to Mr. Crestview, her employer, about possible openings for jobs.

The next morning, Cletus approached Mr. Crestview as he was leaving for his office and asked if he knew of any jobs, particularly driving a freight wagon, which might be available. Crestview thought for a minute and said that he might; he would see what he could find and talk to Cletus at noon.

That noon, Cletus was waiting for Crestview as he came in for lunch. Crestview smiled and motioned Cletus to follow him while he went to wash his hands. He told Cletus that he had a friend in the freight business who was looking for a reliable driver and was expecting Cletus to come by the freight office at 2:00 PM. Cletus thanked Crestview and said that he would be there.

By 3:00 PM, Cletus had a job driving a freight wagon for Jeremiah Johnson. That day, Cletus began employment that was to last for 6 years. That was when Crestview arranged for Cletus to buy The Las Cruces Haulage Company at a very favorable interest rate. By this time, Cletus was well known all over the area and had no trouble getting business and making his payments. It took 12 more years, but Cletus finally owned the business outright.

Cletus and Ellie had moved into their own house by now, and Roland had left home "to seek his fortune." Every once in a while, Cletus would get a dose of wanderlust, but all he had to do was look at Ellie to be cured!

Cletus and Ellie lived in Las Cruces until she died, peacefully, of old age. Cletus found that Las Cruces held no joy for him without Ellie, so he sold his business and moved in with Roland and his family on a ranch near Julesburg.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.