Three Moons Rising - Cover

Three Moons Rising

Copyright© 2007 by Sophisticuffs

Chapter 4: Getting Settled

The next morning was a blur for Mark. He was responding to many new questions from the people that had been brought in yesterday. They ranged from people wanting to know when they would get their assignments to those wanting to know when they would be able to start fighting back. He was just glad everyone's lessons had begun so he received all of the questions at his terminal rather than having to answer calls all day. After a while, he decided to take a break from and see how the rest of the base was shaping up.

"Moon, how are the preparations going so far?" Mark asked.

"The maintenance drones completed their task of bringing the number of maintenance drones up to one hundred. Those new recruits you brought in yesterday have begun to request different education programs for certain fields. I'm leaving final approval of that up to you. Also, I wanted to inform you that your friends have agreed to the placements you suggested and your sister has made her request. She's decided she would like to study the military application of the many different research programs housed here." Moon replied.

"Okay, I need to get people placed so that you can start their lessons. Also, we're going to need to form a military branch to be able to put all of this research into action. Another thing we need to consider is how to get all of the new toys we're going to be building out of the base?" Mark said.

"Sir, the military branch is inherent in many of the positions that to be filled. When the time comes for us to leave the safety of the mountain the drones can clear a path through the soil and a holograph can be projected to maintain the secrecy of the base. One other thing I must inform you of is that the lessons for most of the individuals here are going to take several weeks longer than normal due to the fact that your planets current technological level is so far behind that of the Empire. Is there anything else you require at this time?"

"No that is all for now. I need to discuss some things with my friends."

He then called in all of his friends to get his first command meeting started. Once they arrived he had them all logged into Moon's computers as the heads of their respective departments. Then he explained that he needed people he could trust and talk to as the head of each department. "Everyone here is pretty much going to be at the same level once the lessons start getting into specific fields, so I want you to speak your minds at these meetings. We must start going through the research that has already being done here to try to find a way to tie them all together into weapons systems that can defeat the Enemy and free our system. Now, does anyway have any questions?"

Bill asked, "Okay, I get that all of this is real and I can now understand much more of what you are talking about but I still have no idea how make these weapons or even how to use them."

Mark assured him that over the next few weeks the lessons would continue and he would find everything he needed already in his brain.

Over the next few weeks everyone settled into their respective jobs. People were able to begin to go over the research in the database. He was finally starting to see results form some of the departments. He then decided it was time to use the empty hanger to start putting another large ship under construction. He called a command meeting so they could try and figure out what design they should build.

"Okay guys, we need to figure out what to do with the last hanger. Any suggestions?" Mark asked.

"Well, I think we have a few ideas as to what should be incorporated into whatever hull you decide go with." Jim said with Bill nodding in agreement.

"What have you found so far?" Mark asked.

"Well, to begin with we found a project that shows a method of increasing the output of all laser turrets by 75%. We also found several new missile systems, including an entirely new concept called a Jump Missile, which can actually make short FTL jumps before detonating. Along with that, we have few ideas of our own, but it will still take some time to get them ready." Bill said.

"Sounds good. How are we looking with propulsion and reactors?" Mark asked next.

"Well, it looks like they were near some kind of breakthrough that would revolutionize them," Andrew said, "but they seem to have hit a wall shortly before the Enemy came. Other than that, they did manage to increase the efficiency of the drives and reactors that were standard on the Empire ships."

"Julie, how are things looking for when it comes to getting those people out of cryo-stasis?"

"Well, I still don't know exactly what might happen when we bring them out. I might be able to find out more if you give me some extra time to look through all the medical research. There were some strange programs here that might hold an answer." Julie replied.

"Well, we need them out. I'll give another week then we'll have to try and bring them out. Now, does anyone have a suggestion for what class ship we should build? I think we might be better able to plan what to put in the ship after we decide what type of ship we should build." Mark said.

Jen chose this moment to speak up for the first time. "I think a Heavy Cruiser would be the best option for the resources we have available at this time. It will give us the best options for speed and maneuverability, defenses, weapons payload, and a small enough crew size that just the people here can man it while still having enough for small attack craft. We will produce some plans for your approval."

Nodding, Mark replied, "That sounds good. Get those plans ready as quickly as possible. Also, I want all of you to look into the Battle Cruiser design and see if anything needs to be updated."

Jen answered, "Actually, I took care of that already. Most of the systems were already up to date with the latest projects but they had apparently not come up with some the weapons mixes we have. The plans have been updated and it shouldn't change the schedule more than a few days."

"Well then, if no one has any other suggestions," Mark looked around and everyone shook their heads, "this meeting is dismissed, let's get to it."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.