A Dish Best Served Cold - Cover

A Dish Best Served Cold

Copyright© 2007 by The Mage

Chapter 16

"The Master has gone mad! If I don't leave this night, I will be killed in one of his outbursts!" thought Paki as he dressed.

He donned a clean black suit, with a stiffly starched shirt, and precisely knotted cravat. He finished his attire off with a pair of Italian shoes, shined to a mirror finish. This was his usual mode of dress. Once he had completed dressing he checked his image in the mirror then gathered his few meager possessions.

"If I get caught, at least I will die with honor," muttered the old servant.

At three o-clock in the morning, Paki looked around his small room once more with sadness, thinking, "All of these years of service to the Master and his family, and yet I have nothing! I should have left years ago."

Turning, the old man picked up his bundle, and went to the door. Cautiously, he left the room that had been his sanctuary for decades. Knowing that he had to act naturally, lest the guards raise an alarm, Paki strode dutifully down the corridor. He proceeded towards the back stairs ... and, he hoped, freedom.


"Blue team to base! Blue team to base! Over!"

Base, here, over."

Blue team to base! We have a small car leaving the target, with a single elderly man at the wheel. What are your instructions? Over."

"Base to blue team! Follow, intercept, and take the man, ALIVE. I say again, take him ALIVE! Over."

"Blue team to base, understood. Over and out."

"Base, out."

"JACK! JACK! We have some good news."

Jack entered the Com center and asked, "What's up?"

"We have a lone elderly man leaving the compound. I've instructed the team to take him. I'm sure that we can get some good intel from this person."

"One of your famous 'gut feelings'?"

"Yep! I really get the feeling that this guy is doing a runner from his boss. This could be a big help to us."

"Well, Charley, your gut has saved us more times than I can count. Bring him in and let's see what he has to say."

"Right," said Charley as he swiveled his seat back around to the console, and keyed his mike again.

"Base to blue team, base to blue team, over."

"Blue team here, over."

"Base to blue team, send the prisoner to us. Over."

"Blue team to base. Understood. Over and out."

"He should be here soon, Jack," said Charley, as he turned back toward his leader.

"Excellent."


"Are you the leader of this ... this ... this travesty?"

"Yes, I am the leader, here. But I do not feel that it is in any way a travesty. Please, sit down," said Jack as he nodded for the guard to leave.

The old man was trying to retain his dignity, but was obviously fearful. He moved to the seat that was offered him.

"Would you like something to drink? Sweet tea, perhaps."

Paki stared at the man across the table from him. He saw a man that was, quite obviously, a Native American of very strong character. The thing that sent a chill down his spine, was the way that man was looking at him.

"This man has the eyes of a Viper!" thought Paki.

"Sir, you have brought me here against my will. Please don't presume to be my friend. You are not even my host, but rather my captor. Just tell me what it is that you want," said Paki, trying very hard not to show the fear that was near to loosening his bowels.

"I was trying to avoid an adversarial relationship, but..."

"Sir, how else should I feel? I am driven off of the road! I am removed from my vehicle by force! Then I am brought to this place. Again, I ask, how else should I feel?"

"As you wish," said Jack with a long sigh. "Let's get started then. Who are you, and what is your relationship with Aziz Hassan? Oh, and remember, your very life will depend on your answers."

"My name is Paki Nazir. I have served the Hassan family for five decades. For the last forty years I have been the 'family retainer.'"

"Where were you going at this late hour?"

Paki stared at his inquisitor for several heartbeats, trying to decide if he should be honest or not. Finally, with a nod, he began his tale.

"I surmise that you are enemies of the young Master. If I live or die, I will do so with my honor intact!

"The Hassans were a proud and honored family, for centuries. Then the young Master was born, and that honor was destroyed. The man is mad! He has been mad from his youth. The problem was that he was the only child of the family, and was greatly beloved by his parents. They were blind to his sickness. They covered up any indiscretions committed by the youngster.

"The boy has no soul! He finally killed his own parents, when they denied him the leadership of the tribe. With his father dead, Master Aziz methodically set about exterminating all of the other family members until only he was left of the royal bloodline. That fact guaranteed him complete control of the tribe.

"The man brags that he is acting to promote the victory of the Muslim faith. In truth, he is chasing after his own wealth and power, nothing more. He is an amoral monster. He is using, abusing, and killing small children to satisfy his twisted desires.

"I will tell you anything that you wish. I am finished serving that beast!" said the old servant with vehemence.

Jack was stunned by the emotion of the old man. He needed time to think. His thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Come," said Jack, without showing his relief at the interruption.

The guard entered and whispered into Jack's ear.

"Thank you, Mr. Nazir. Please excuse me for a bit, as there is something that requires my attention."

Jack rose slowly, and walked from the room, hoping that his excitement was not evident.

Once out side the room, and with the door closed behind him, Jack smiled broadly at Raven.

He asked, "You heard?"

"Yes! Indeed I did!"

"That was a good move, getting me out of there before I blew it. This is the thing that will tip the scales in our favor! Wow!"

"Do you think we can trust him?"

"I do, yes. He is a man of honor, and Hassan has stained his honor. If I read his anger rightly, he will be an ally."

"Ok, you're the boss, Grandfather."

"Good! I want you in there with me, so that you can cover anything that I might forget, ok?"

"Lead on!"

Paki watched the pair as they entered the room, and sat down across the table from him. Raven had matured quite a bit during the past months, and it took him a few moments to realize her identity.

Paki smiled, and then broke into raucous laughter.

"Master Aziz is tearing up the countryside looking for you, and here you are in his backyard. This is priceless, absolutely priceless!"

Jack and Raven looked at each other, and then back at Paki.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.