Mat Sullivan(2) - Cover

Mat Sullivan(2)

Copyright© 2007 by aubie56

Chapter 22

New Mexico Territory, July, 1897

I heard the sound of some distant gunshots. I couldn't tell the direction because they were so faint. All I could do was continue on in my present direction and listen for more shots. Ah, there they were! I heard the shooting off to my left, but still in front of me. I put on a little more speed while digging for my binoculars. I stopped when I came near to the top of a small hill and looked around with the binoculars. I could see several men facing away from me and shooting at something in front of them. My curiosity got the better of me, so I rode closer to see what was going on.

I got only a little closer when one of the six men happened to look my way. When he did, he let out a yell in Spanish. All six men jerked around and started shooting in my direction. I was over 200 yards away, so I felt reasonably safe from their carbine fire. I turned and raced away until I was out of sight. I waited a few minutes and then I heard the shooting start again.

This seemed very peculiar to me, so I rode well around the area they were shooting at and began to approach from the other side. As I got closer, I was startled to see an Indian armed with a bow. He saw me, but didn't react. I rode closer and dismounted. As I drew closer, I could see that he was wounded in the leg. The wound looked painful, but not fatal if he could get some help pretty soon.

I held up my empty hands and shouted that I was not an enemy in both Spanish and English. He waved me in. I ducked a little lower because the Mexicans were still shooting and walked closer to the Indian, who was hardly more than a boy. I asked if he preferred English or Spanish.

He answered in English, "I speak English. Who are you?"

I said, "I am Mat Sullivan and I was shot at by the Mexicans a few minutes ago. Why are they shooting at you?"

"They are bandits. They have killed my horse and they are now trying to kill me. I am wearing very valuable ceremonial jewelry which I think that they want to steal."

"Would you like for me to help? And what is your name?"

"Call me Far-Seer. I am Zuni and I am on my spirit quest."

"Why don't you have a rifle? It's dangerous to wander around without one."

"My grandfather said that I should only take traditional weapons on my spirit quest. I have used up all my arrows, but the Mexicans don't know that."

"I have two rifles. Would your quest be harmed if you used one of them?"

"I am sure that using your rifle would be acceptable. You must be here because the spirits sent you."

"Fine, I'll get it for you. How is the wound in your leg? Should I look at it before I fetch the rifle?"

"No, it hurts, but it is not a serious wound. I can't walk on it, but I can shoot."

"Wait, then. I'll be right back." I scuttled to my horse and got the rifle and the carbine, along with extra ammunition. I gave Far-Seer the carbine and some of the extra ammunition.

"Since you can't move easily, you fire at the Mexicans enough to make them keep their heads down. I'll use the opportunity to sneak up on them from over to our right where I saw an arroyo. Do you agree?"

"Yes, Mat, I will do that. Good luck"

I moved off to the right to the edge of the arroyo and signaled to Far-Seer to start shooting. When he did, I ducked into the arroyo and started running toward the Mexicans. The arroyo was long enough for me to get a little behind the Mexicans, far enough for me to see them in their hiding places. If I was lucky, Far-Seer's shots would cover mine and let me get off several shots before the Mexicans even knew that I was shooting at them.

I got into position and fired at the nearest Mexican. He never made a sound as I caught him square in the back. I must have cut his backbone in two with my first shot, I was so close. I missed with my next shot, but killed the next man in line with my third shot. Unfortunately, the man next to him noticed something and moved just as I shot at him. I missed, but Far-Seer didn't.

The fourth man still had not noticed me; he was concentrating on Far-Seer. He was still close enough that I was able to wound him and put him out of action. The two remaining men caught on that they were in trouble and tried to pull out. Some rapid fire from Far-Seer and me got both of them. I yelled at Far-Seer to stop shooting. I was going to stand up.

He shouted that he understood, so I walked over to the Mexicans. They were strung out along about 50 yards of the dirt bank they had been using as breastworks. I checked to be sure that each one was dead and did a quick search for valuables. The wounded man was dead by the time I got to him, so that made six for six. I gathered up the Mexican's weapons and horses and returned to Far-Seer. He returned my carbine and extra ammunition to me.

After tending his wound, I asked him if he wanted the scalps, and he said no, that was not one of his clan's customs. I helped him onto a horse and tied the rest of the horses so that they could be led. I mounted and asked him to direct us to his home.

Three days later, we arrived at a Zuni village. Far-Seer was greeted with enthusiasm, but I was watched with suspicion. We found Far-Seer's grandfather and the three of us went to visit the head man of the village. I let Far-Seer handle the conversation, since I didn't speak Zuni. He talked for quite a while; I assume he was telling everything that had happened. When Far-Seer stopped talking, the head man looked at me in silence.

Finally, he said, in English, "Far-Seer told me an amazing tale. He believes that you were sent by the spirits to rescue him from the Mexicans. It is obvious that he could never had withstood them by himself, so I am inclined to agree with Far-Seer. You are welcome here in our village as long as you would care to stay."

?I thank you for your invitation. I am Mat Sullivan. May I know your name?"

He said, "Call me 'Eagle.' Go with Far-Seer. He will see to your needs."

The three of us returned to the adobe structure which was Far-Seer's grandfather's home. When we reached there, I asked the grandfather, "Do you speak English or Spanish? And may I know your name?"

He said, in Spanish, "I speak Spanish better than English, but I can understand English. Use either one. Far-Seer speaks Spanish, too. My name is Big-Smoke."

?Thank you, Big-Smoke, I will use Spanish. Please call me Mat or Mat Sullivan, which ever you find more convenient."

We went inside to escape the sun. Far-Seer's mother came over to inspect his wound. She said, in Spanish, "You are now a warrior. You have received an honorable wound in battle. When will you relate your adventure to the clan?"

?I will talk tonight at the communal campfire. Right now I have several things which I must discuss with Mat Sullivan and grandfather."

?Grandfather, please let me return the ceremonial jewelry before it is damaged. Do you agree that I have completed my spirit quest, or do I need to go out again?"

?Yes, you have completed your quest. Do you wish to change your name?"

?I don't know, yet. Let me think about it."

I interrupted with, "May I say something. I need to look after my horse. I can't leave her in the direct sun too long. We also brought in 5 horses which I think should belong to Far-Seer. You should decide what to do with them. Maybe you could use them to purchase a wife?"

Far-Seer's eyes lit up with that remark. Big-Smoke laughed, "Now you have his attention!"

We dropped the saddles by the door and took the horses to the corral. I asked Far-Seer if he had a future wife in mind. He said that he did not have one in particular, but he would seriously look, now that he could afford one.

When we got back to the hut, I told Far-Seer to look through the Mexican's weapons to see if there were any he could use. He thanked me and looked. He found a .44-40 carbine that looked in good condition, as well as a .44-40 pistol. I recommended the combination, since that was what I used and liked very much. There was also a lot of .44-40 ammunition there, so he decided that he would take my advice.

Since I really couldn't use any of them, I suggested that he use the extra weapons and tack for gifts. Far-Seer thanked me for my generosity and said that he could really make himself a warrior to be reckoned with if he gave the guns to the right people. I mentioned that he should be sure not to forget Eagle on his gift list.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.