Secrets - Cover

Secrets

Copyright© 2006 by Wylde Silver

Chapter 1

<She's hiding something.> The voice said in my head.

I know she's hiding something, but what is she hiding and do I really care? I was doing a house call in a quiet suburban neighborhood. The area looked worn, like it had seen its fair share of decades. The houses around here were all in good shape, but everything around pointed to the neighborhood being past its prime. The particular house I was in belonged to Mr. and Mrs. Smith. They were the average, common, American nitwit. Their computer was hosed. I poked around on it pretending I was doing something to stall for time. Sally looked in her late thirties and worn down. She was also keeping an eye on me. She kept fidgeting as she watched me do my thing. Her husband Chuck was either working or somewhere else, but he wasn't home.

<She's hiding something about her husband.> The voice teased.

So what, I don't care! Shut up!

<Her husband has violent tendencies.>

Does he beat her? I wondered. She didn't look like she had been roughed up. I should just reformat the drive and get this over with. I don't want to be around violent people.

<There is evidence on the computer.>

What kind of evidence of violence would there be on a computer? Bah, its none of my business.

<She is unaware there is anything incriminating on the PC.>

Again, none of my business. Leave me alone. But if she wasn't hiding something on the computer then what was she hiding?

<Look in the basement.>

And how am I going to look in the basement? I am here to work on the computer, not take a tour of the house. Just go away!

Sally spoke up for the first time since I started working. "Do you think you can fix it?" She almost sounded worried.

I faked a concerned look and said, "Most likely, but you are going to need a new hard drive. I have one in the van I can install if you want me to do it now."

"Oh I see. Well go ahead, might as well get it over with while you are here." She said. It was obvious she didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

I made a move for the door, hoping that by saving the hard drive that would appease the voice in my head. Just then the phone rang and Sally excused herself.

<Down the hall, the door on the left. Quick while she's busy.>

Shit! I don't want to go snooping around in someone's house. Still, it wouldn't be the first time. I followed the directions, opened the door, and hit the light. I was half way down the stairs when it hit me how serious this was. Against a wall was a work bench stacked with what was unmistakably explosives and enough ammo to supply an army.

<Her husband is planning on bombing a bank.>

Double shit! Why me! I ran back upstairs, shut the lights off and was out the door in a flash. I cant just leave that would be too suspicious. I rooted around in the van until I found that extra hard drive and built up some courage. I grit my teeth and swear inwardly. I want to get this over with ASAP.

Back in the house, I power off the old junk box they use for a computer and rip it open. Out with the old, in with the new. Its over and done with in a minute. I power it back on, pop an old pirate copy of windows in and run thru a standard install. Now I just have to sit through it and wait for it. This part can take some time depending on the speed of the computer, and this clunker looks like its none too speedy.

<Her husband will be home in 18 minutes.>

Not enough time. Argh why did I waste so much time earlier. I slid the old hard drive inside a static bag and tossed it in my toolkit.

Sally interrupted my thoughts, "How's it coming?"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.