The Artist Is A Wizard - Cover

The Artist Is A Wizard

Copyright© 2006 by Volentrin

Chapter 6

Mathew finally left me alone to think over what he had told me. He had limped off in an extremely good mood. I had promised to think about what he had said and explained to me.

I didn't like it one bit.

On the one hand, I craved this ability to do magic. On the other, I could not and would not be responsible for the deaths of so many people. I was not a mass murderer and that is what Mathew seemed to me, to be advocating!

I had wanted to go back home right away, but Mathew had hidden my gateway, portal, doorway... whatever it was. Unless I could make another one to my home world, I was stuck here. Mathew wanted to stay here for a few days at least, and look around. Also, he was having a great time. He seemed to be basking in his new connection to this world's magic field.

I could actually feel the field myself. It gave you a feeling... of a completeness... of a fullness of energy, to be connected to it. It is hard to describe this feeling, but I was sure I would miss it once we went back.

Later that evening, a servant arrived to escort me to dine with the king and his family. There had been celebrations going on in the castle all day, to honor the return of the King and Queen's daughter.

I wanted to ask Matt a few pointed questions. For example, when I had rescued the princess, I had taken a modern device. The chain saw had worked perfectly well when I had started it, and had cut into the wall that anchored the bolt to which she had been shackled. I had also been wearing my watch. It had still worked properly upon my return to my world with the princess. Why hadn't they failed when I rescued the Princess?

I had come up with a theory that fit the facts. I now thought that there were several factors involved: how powerful the magic field was in a given area, the amount of time spent there, how delicate the item was, etc. These factors could delay magical interference with the science I knew so well, and had grown up with. I wanted to run it by Mathew though, since he was an expert on the subject. Well... the only expert I knew of.

The meal was served in a small dining area. There were settings for the King and his family, for Mathew and myself, and for one other. The chair for the last setting was empty, right now. I was thinking that it meant someone was going to show up soon. Both Mathew and I had arrived together.

Servants bustled about bringing platters of food and loading the table with choices of meats, pitchers of wine... and a huge plateful of baked potatoes, of all things.

I had thought that vegetables were not a high priority in a medieval society. There was also boiled cabbage, I could identify that smell anywhere, so perhaps I was wrong. The servants were done and moved to the side of the room. They stood within easy call if anything was needed.

When we had arrived, the princess had come over to escort Mathew and me to our chairs.

"My daughter seems very taken with you two," the queen said watching us.

"She is a delightful and brave young lady. I am sure she will do well when she is older," Mathew responded gallantly.

"That she is. She was no trouble at all. It was a pleasure to rescue her," I finally got out.

We were all seated, waiting for the mystery guest. I made conversation with the King and Queen. They wanted to know about life in our world. Every time I tried to answer fully, Mathew would interrupt me. I was finding it annoying. I knew I was being controlled, or he was trying to control me, anyway. It was time to put my foot down.

"Mathew, I would appreciate it if you would stop interrupting me and trying to manipulate what I am saying," I told him loudly enough for all at the table to hear.

Conversation came to a halt briefly, with the King raising an eyebrow, and the Queen looking amused.

I took a sip of my drink, and then almost spit it out when I saw who had just come in. It was none other than the Wizard Garretti, whom I had not been able to contact after that second try.

"Good evening your majesties, Beáta. I am pleased to see you again, Mathew, Frank," he said as he took his place.

"Uncle Garretti! I didn't know you were coming!" Beáta exclaimed, pleased.

Uncle? I wondered if that was an honorific title or if he were related to the king or queen.

"So! I see you have managed to make a connection well enough to come through. That is a story I would like to hear more of, in the near future," Garretti told me.

After that, the meal started. We were occupied with eating, and listening to Beáta talk more about the moving picture machines we had. Her trying to describe some of what she had experienced, was very amusing. She actually used the term: 'horseless carriage'!

Finally, the meal was over. We all stood and went into yet another room to relax and make conversation. Mathew and I were informed, from the information gleaned from their daughter, that it appeared that a small kingdom had paid for her abduction. This was done in order to gain better concessions, and a settlement regarding a disagreement they were having with our host.

They didn't really keep us long. I was tired, and I'm afraid I showed it by yawning frequently. I finally headed back to my rooms, escorted by a servant. This castle was just that big as to be confusing for those who were not familiar with it.

I had only been back in my rooms for about two minutes when there was a knock on the outer door. It was Mathew.

"Frank. I wanted to say that I was not trying to manipulate you, or control you. It's just that we should be careful about how much we reveal of ourselves and our world to these people," he told me seriously.

"While I do understand what you're saying, you did a hell of a lot of manipulating and interrupting me. It was very rude," I responded a bit sourly.

"I just wanted to clear the air with you. It was not my intention to make you angry or to appear to be in charge, or anything," he added.

Bull. I looked at him but said nothing, just nodded. The guy had been preemptive, and had been trying to dominate me since we came to this place. I guessed it was connected with his wanting to return magic to our world.

"I would like to return back home. You're going to have to un-hide the gate so I can get back through. We have brought the princess back, and there is nothing really to hold us here for now, is there?" I asked him reasonably.

"What are you talking about? There is the magical pipeline to consider, and to figure out how to establish," he said, looking at me as if I were a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic.

Well, that let me know what his priorities were. I just nodded, and said I needed to get some sleep.

After he left, I sat heavily in one of my overstuffed chairs and thought. This could be a problem. Mathew was so gung ho about returning magic to our world that he had lost touch with reality. There was no way I was going to cooperate in such a venture. I refused to be responsible for the many millions of deaths that were sure to happen.

I went to the door and looked out, a few minutes later. There was no one there. I frowned. There was a bell pull set up in my room. I went over and gave it a firm yank. A short time later there was a knock at the door.

"You wished something, my lord?" he asked me respectfully.

I was a 'lord', now? This was a first.

"Yes, could you arrange to have portrait painting supplies brought to my room tomorrow morning? I feel the urge to do some painting," I asked him

"It will be done, my lord," he said with a bow.

I nodded and closed the door.


I was using the wall behind one of the drapes as an easel for the large canvas I was painting. I drew Mathew's living room. It came to my mind's eye quickly. I then started filling in room's details. I could actually feel magical power flowing through me as I did this.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.