Veronica Coleman
Chapter 9

Copyright© 2006 by Wandering Lanes

Sir Timothy looked to William, "What should we do?" He said with the air of a trapped person.

William was composed, "Don't worry, I've got friends in the police, this is just a small thing, if you take the girls back into my office. And you two! Keep your mouths shut if you know what's good for you!" He said to Mandy and Samantha ushering them back into his office.

The two girls looked scared and so Veronica knelt down to speak to them, "Don't worry those people are with us, we have an idea about things that have been going on around here, but we need you to tell us in your own words." She said.

Samantha shook her head, "Why? Nobody will listen to us and then he'll be back doing the same thing." She said her eyes haunted.

Sir Timothy sat down beside Veronica, "That's why we're here, to listen and make sure this doesn't happen again!" He told her.

Samantha looked at him, seemingly to look into his soul, "You mean that? You're not just some do-gooder with hot air?" She asked.

Victoria gave a muffled laugh, "You must admit she has a point!" She said to Sir Timothy who gave her a hard look.

Then his attention wavered, "Team Alpha, sit-rep!" He said out loud.

Mandy looked at him and then whispered to Veronica, "Is he alright miss?" She asked worried.

Veronica nodded, "Don't worry Mandy; he knows what he's doing." She said.

Mandy looked back to where Sir Timothy seemed to be concentrating on an unseen point.

Just then the door opened and William was pushed into the office, the sergeant behind him saluted, "Sir, it would be better if he stays here with you sir! Team Charlie is now going into action but this person is starting to interfere in our work." He said.

Sir Timothy looked at Veronica, "Well I would say our primary goal is achieved, could you take Mandy with you?"

Veronica was about to nod when she saw how Samantha was looking at William and cringing, "I'll take both girls back to Alpha 3, I don't think Samantha would feel safe here." She said seeing the relief in Samantha's eyes.

Sir Timothy opened his mouth to say something but the look in Veronica's eyes stopped him, he nodded, "Yes you're right as always Veronica, I'll see you later." He said as Veronica took the two girls away from the office, feeling them both relax as they left William's presence.


Veronica passed the cordon of 'police' and Hector got out to open the car door, the two girls started to tense up as they approached him.

Veronica hugged them and then spoke gently, "Don't worry girls; you're not going to have to do anything you don't want to!"

Samantha looked at Mandy who shrugged and then they allowed themselves to be seated in the car, immediately their attention was gripped by the array of things in the car.

As Hector started the engine Veronica had an idea, she picked up a phone and spoke into it waiting for a moment before handing the handset to Mandy who regarded it with suspicion, "H... hello?... Jackie! Is it really you?" She said a smile breaking out on her face for the first time that Veronica had seen her.

Veronica was enjoying the look on Mandy's face as she spoke to her sister but then she saw that Samantha was also looking at the phone. "Was there someone you needed to speak to?" She asked the young girl.

Samantha blushed, "Just my gran, she's been trying to talk to me, but HE wouldn't let her." She said wistfully.

Veronica could see that she was hurting over this, "Do you know the number?" She asked the girl. Samantha nodded; Veronica picked up the other handset and spoke to the operator, "Can we access an outside line on these phones?" She asked the girl.

"Oh yes Colonel, it's just a matter of you giving me the number and I'll connect you." She was told.

Veronica smiled, "Thank you, I'm going to pass the phone to a young girl who needs a number, she will give it to you." She said and handed the phone to Samantha who just looked at it for a moment and then gave the operator a number.

There was a few seconds of waiting and then Samantha began to cry, "Gran?... Oh gran it's me, Sam. You've no idea how long I've waited to talk to you... but they wouldn't let me!" She said and then broke down completely.

Veronica could see that she wasn't going to speak due to her tears and so she gently took the handset from Samantha's unresisting hand, she could hear the woman at the other end crying and calling to Samantha.

"Hello, my name is Veronica Coleman; Samantha is safe with me..." She began trying to calm the woman at the other end.

"What do you mean safe with you? Why isn't she being looked after at that home! They insisted that she needed time to be alone! What did they do to her?" The woman demanded.

Veronica shook her head, knowing that the woman couldn't see this, "We don't know exactly, but we've removed her from the children's home for the time being." Again she was interrupted.

"Well I want to see her; I'm not going to be put off any longer! Tell me where you're taking her or I'm going to the police!" the woman said angrily.

Veronica thought for a moment before answering, "I'll send a car to meet you and to bring you to us, Samantha will be waiting for you, just give me your address." She said.

The woman rattled off an address which Veronica jotted down, she assured the woman that Samantha was perfectly safe and then hung up, she then contacted the operator again.

"Yes Colonel?" The patient operator said.

Veronica smiled, "I'm sorry to be a nuisance dear, I need transport to pick up a young girl's grandmother, she needs to meet up with Samantha at Alpha 3 as quickly as possible." And she read off the address she was given.

There was a slight pause while the operator checked on the location of vehicles, "There is one very close to that location, I've directed them to pick up and deliver to Alpha 3. With your permission I've told them it's highly urgent." The operator said trying to sound apologetic.

"That's exactly what I should have asked; thank you... I'm sorry I should have asked who I was talking to?" Veronica asked.

"I'm Private Stacey Hargreaves Ma'am." The woman said sounding fearful.

Veronica could hear the tone in her voice, "Thank you Stacey, and I'm Veronica. Now you've done excellently and I'm proud that you're there at this time." She said warmly

Veronica could almost swear she could feel the smile at the other end, "Thank you Ma... Veronica. Is there anything else you require?" Stacey asked her.

Veronica looked out of the window, "Not just now, the car is near Alpha 3, I think that's all for now, thank you Stacey." She said, now hugging Samantha who was still crying.

"Uh, Col... Veronica, I've receive a report that the car you requested has picked up their passenger, she wants to speak to Samantha?" Stacey said.

"Can you put her on this phone?" Veronica asked her.

"Of course Ma'am, I'll do it now." Stacey said.

"... and I demand to speak to my granddaughter!" The woman was saying in a loud voice.

Veronica spoke up, "She is right here with me." She said and then handed the handset to Samantha.

"Hello gran... no, I'm alright it's just that... Oh gran I need you!" She cried into the handset.

Veronica positioned herself so that she could hear what was being said, this was easier than it seemed as Samantha was still allowing Veronica to hold her tightly, securely. "Sam, now calm down. Take a deep breath. These people you're with they... they haven't made you do anything have they?"

"Oh gran! Not these, they've been so nice to us, gran. I trust them... but I do miss you." Samantha said gulping back her tears now she was talking to her grandmother, "Gran when can I see you?" She asked.

There was a muted conversation which Veronica thought was of the woman talking to the driver and then she heard, "Five minutes darling, I'll be there shortly."

The sound of gravel under wheels made Veronica realise that they had arrived. Mandy had already hung up her phone and was looking out of the window excitedly.

Hector pulled up outside the main doors, Veronica could see Jackie and Rachael standing at the top of the stairway to the entrance, before Hector could get out Mandy had opened her door and was sprinting to her sister.

Hector was now opening Veronica's door, but he found that Samantha was still talking on the phone and Veronica was holding onto the girl at the same time, she looked first at the girl and then to Hector, "I think I'll stay here until Samantha's grandmother shows up, if you can ask one of the girls to have a room prepared for an informal talk, oh and some tea as well?" She asked him.

Hector smiled, "Of course Veronica, I'll see to that." He said and gave her a salute which made her swipe her hand at him (but missed of course), and then he walked to the house.


Samantha was still talking on the phone when a car pulled up behind them, Samantha threw the phone down and bolted for the other car, Veronica sighed and then hung up the handset, she made her way out of the car and walked to where Samantha was hugging a lady, about the same age as Veronica, the woman was hugging Samantha back.

Veronica walked up to the pair and then introduced herself, "I'm Veronica, can we talk inside? I've asked for a room to be set aside." She said.

The other woman looked at her, "My name is Diana, I'm sorry for my reaction on the phone but I was so worried about Sam." Diana said holding out her hand.

Veronica shook it noting that it wasn't a normal woman's grasp, this one had muscle and determination in it, inside her a voice said 'we have to have her on the team!' and she realised the past chaplains were at work again.

"We do need to talk and I think Samantha needs somewhere to sit down." Veronica said and led the way into the house. A maid in uniform, including the mob-cap, had bobbed a curtsey.

"If you please ma'am." She said indicating a door.

Veronica opened the door to find a small room with a desk and chair in one corner, three armchairs and a small table on which sat a tray with a pot of tea, a jug of milk, a sugar bowl and three cups.

Veronica indicated that Diana and Samantha should sit down, Samantha perched herself on Diana's lap, not wanting to be separated from her. Veronica nodded, "Milk or lemon?" She asked.

Both replied milk, Diana watched as Veronica spooned three sugars into one cup and passed it to Samantha, "She'll need this." Veronica said as she handed Diana her cup.

The three of them sat back, except Samantha who remained perched on Diana's lap, and Veronica gathered her thoughts, but Diana spoke first.

"This doesn't look like anything Social Services might have or the police!... Who are you?" She asked, her eyes watching Veronica like a hawk.

Veronica didn't rise to the bait, "Me? I'm a legal secretary at a law partnership in town." She said.

Diana gave an un-ladylike snort, "And the rest! That equipment in the cars isn't normal; I know some 'companies' would give their eye-teeth to have even half of them." The way Diana had said companies made it clear that she wasn't talking about car firms and there was a twinkle in her eyes.

Veronica sized the woman up, "Ex-army, possibly special services, why didn't you stay on?" She asked.

Diana blinked, "I had my family, and I'd told them it was only for the duration, but all they wanted was either trainers to wipe their new teams noses, or some secretary to make cups of tea! I wasn't willing to do that so I told them to stuff it!"

Veronica smiled, "I don't suppose it was that easy, I do know about these things." She said

Diana laughed, "I think you do. Hell no, they had some Major or another tried to get me to enrol in some top secret club, but I showed him, gave him a black eye and so they 'agreed to let me go' said I was 'unsuitable for army life', so I left."

Veronica frowned, "But what about your pension, for services to the country?" She asked.

Diana shook her head, "They decided that since I was dismissed they didn't need to pay it, but I had a... let me say a few resources, to fall back on." She said and settled back in her chair in remembrance.

Just then the maid returned to the room with a hot jug of water in one hand, and a file in the other. She handed the file to Veronica, on the cover was a red flash reading 'TOP SECRET — NEED TO KNOW ONLY' She glanced at Diana and Samantha both of whom were in their own world.

She moved to the desk in the corner and started reading the file. It was Diana's war record, it seemed she volunteered for special services but was at first refused due to family commitments, but subsequently allowed to sign on — following the Battle of Britain when the war was going to be taken to the Germans — She was trained in demolition and sniper-craft. Then assigned to the French resistance to pass on her training and to take on missions when London requested it, her code name was Marlin.

There was a notation that Marlin was responsible for over 20 kills and destruction of several weapon/fuel dumps causing the enemy problems, she had 3 commendations for courage and was going to be awarded the Victoria Cross for her actions.

She was captured by the Germans hours before D-day and due to her location was in one of the first prisons liberated by the allied forces, when she was repatriated back to England.

She was hospitalised for over a year due to the injuries suffered at the hands of the Germans, and was then given light duties, in the training camp and then to the filing office.

After the war she offered her resignation which was refused as the Intelligence department wanted her to stay on, then she was offered a position in an established security section and interviewed by their chief, a Brigadier-Major Sir Bartholomew ****.

She was subsequently court-marshalled and thrown out of the services, her code name was retired, never to be re-used, even though the Brigadier-Major insisted that no such action should be taken; the intelligence service had demanded it.

There was a note, on Organisation paper, that if Diana was ever approached by, or to, the Organisation she would be offered a position. There was also a note, by Sir Bartholomew, which stated the Organisation should try to do anything to help Diana reflecting her actions on behalf of the country.

Veronica sighed and put the file down, closing it so that it wasn't visible; she picked up a phone, a different operator answered. "You know who I am?" She asked the operator.

"Yes Colonel, what are your orders?" The operator said with a gulp, normally when an officer said that it was bad news for somebody.

The visitor I have with me, Diana Carmichael, I need to know if we can get her pension re-instated and backdated, I also think that her record should be reviewed by the British Army with regards to recommendations made. I would also like Sir Timothy to meet Diana. Did you record all that?" She asked.

The operator replied that it had been recorded and that it was being dealt with at that moment.


Veronica rejoined the pair and sipped at her tea, "You had a very interesting war record, Merlin." She said softly.

Diana stiffened in her chair and then relaxed as she realise that Samantha was still holding her, her eyes darted around the room, sizing it up for escape routes should they be needed.

"I haven't heard that name for several years; I'm surprised you were able to find it." Diana said her voice now calm.

"As you said we are a very efficient organisation, I believe you met the person who 'recruited' me?" Veronica said.

A frown showed on Diana's face, "I'm sorry I don't know who you mean." She said cautiously.

"He was Sir Bartholomew, when he met you he was a Brigadier-Major in the army." Veronica said with a laugh.

"Oh, that man. Oh dear, what should I do, apologise to him?" Diana said laughing but her eyes were still looking around.

Veronica smiled, "Oh no, there's no need for that, Sir Bartholomew was very impressed with you, he left a standing order that should your path coincide with this organisation that we were to offer you..." Veronica was cut off by Diana saying,

"Oh no! You're not going to offer me a job are you?" She said her voice shrill.

Veronica shook her head, "if you don't want to join us it's okay, we don't force people here, although you would be very welcome, what I was going to say is that we would offer you all the aid you may need, and this is what I am doing, although I would have wished to have met you under other circumstances." Veronica continued.

Diana's eyes narrowed "Yes! Exactly what are the circumstances? Why is my granddaughter here and not at that home?" She asked.

Samantha shivered, "Please gran; don't make me go back there, I don't want to do that stuff again!" She said.

"What stuff Sam, what did you have to do?" Diana asked her gently, realising that this was not a time to be overbearing.

Samantha gulped, "You know how I like dancing?" She asked and at Diana's nod she continued, "Well every week HE would have a party for big-wigs and others, well I was suppose to entertain them by dancing, which wasn't so bad, but then one day they said I had to learn a new dance to some funny music, and the clothes I had to wear... were all held together... with Velcro." She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"It's alright darling, just tell us." Diana said encouraging her granddaughter.

"I... I had to dance close to his guests... well that what he called them, I thought of them as perverts... and they would try to pull my clothes off." Diana gave a gasp at that but then kept quiet, "Well... again that was alright... then one day... I was told to forget my... my underwear... I told them no way! I wasn't going to let a group of perv's see me naked!... They took me to the basement." She began to sob, Diana hold onto her, rocking away to comfort her granddaughter.

Diana looked at Veronica, anger in her eyes. "Why the hell do you wait so long?" She hissed.

Veronica shook her head, "We didn't know about it, I only found out when we picked up a girl who was solicitating, it was following from that we raided the home, I promise you the moment we knew we acted!" Veronica said allowing her feelings to show in her voice.

Diana noted that and then gave one nod, "I take it this is all being recorded?" She asked.

Veronica nodded, "At least I hope so, and I also hope there's someone there making notes." She said.

Diana smiled, "How would you be able to tell?" She asked.

Veronica was nonplussed, "I suppose if I asked them to ring the phone twice." She said.

As if on cue, the phone rang once, twice and then was quiet. "Good staff." Diana said impressed.

"We only want the best and so we offer them more, so if you're ever interested?" Veronica said invitingly.

Diana shook her head, "No, I've got my granddaughter now... or have I?" She asked.

Veronica blinked, "You know I'm not sure! I mean I just took Samantha and... one other girl out for their own safety, not even the Social Services are aware they've gone. I think that's going to be for our legal team to thrash out, can I ask why you didn't have her in the first place?" Veronica asked.

Diana snorted again, "Well the Social Services took Sam from the hospital before I even knew she was alive! All I was told was my daughter and her family had been in an accident and by the time the fools managed to give me the straight story she'd been moved, when I tried to see her some... flunky said she was 'too distressed to be disturbed'." She breathed in deeply, "And then I get some letter telling me that the Social Services thought it would be easier on Sam if they provided care for her, considering my age and the trauma she'd faced." She snorted, "As if I was some invalid, unable to look after her! The nerve of them, I wouldn't let that stop me." She said

Veronica was intrigued, "Didn't you try to see her?" She asked,

"Of course, even saw the arsehole who sent the letter, 'all very sorry but as Sam was already settled it would cause more distress to her', I was ready to punch him, but I knew that it wouldn't get Sam back, so I tried my solicitor, all he could say was that Social Services are a law unto themselves, and it was all very difficult to get them to admit any mistakes. He told me to forget it!" Diana's eyes flashed.

Veronica sighed, she knew how difficult it was once a child was in the Social Services books, all they had to say was it was in the best interest of the child and most magistrates will side with them, mainly because they had the backing of the government and it would be seen as a political move, plus many of these cases were held 'in camera' so there was very little publicity, again to 'spare the child'.

"So I had to keep applying to see Sam, but some big-wig, I think his name was Smythe, said that she needed to be with children like her and recommended a stay in that home. But every-time I phoned them that Beaven man said that Sam was 'too upset to see anyone!'" Diana finished.

"I wasn't, the only reason I was upset was because I couldn't see my gran! He would tell me that gran had phoned but until I did what they said I wouldn't see you again! But I knew they were lying!" Samantha said angrily.

"Yes dear, people are like that, it is how they try to control us!" Diana said to her stroking her granddaughter's back.

"Samantha do you think you can carry on with what you were telling us earlier?" Veronica asked gently.

Samantha nodded and leant back into Diana, feeling safe in her arms, "Well they dragged me down to the basement and I saw Anthony who was chained to the wall, they were hitting him with canes and telling him to do what they said.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.