Veronica Coleman - Cover

Veronica Coleman

Copyright© 2006 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 7

My thanks, as always, to Jon Black for his proofreading duty

Veronica looked at Timothy in shock; 'You're kidding!' was what was running through her head but looking at him she realised that he was serious!

Baxter spoke up, "Mrs Coleman, for the work you have to do here you have to be obeyed by the people here, for that you need the rank to command them. Anyway the people here know you and respect you."

"One moment Baxter. I've never met most of the people here!" Veronica spoke up only for Baxter to shake his head.

"I'm sorry to say you have, your drivers all work here in their various positions it's a duty that each person has fulfilled at one time or another, you have always been courteous to them and have listened to them without mocking them or putting them down, that means a lot to them. They realise that Sir Timothy has too much to do and will attempt to help him when and as they can, you are an extension of Sir Timothy's will and so they will listen and obey you. Please Mrs. Coleman, trust me in this." Baxter finished.

Veronica looked between Baxter and Timothy before she sighed, "Well after hearing that what else can I do but agree, but if I make a mistake I want to be allowed to leave." She said looking directly at Timothy.

He shook his head, "Veronica, I don't expect you to be perfect all the time, but I know you and I trust you, believe me when I say that I doubt if you'll do anything to regret this." He said and held out his hand.

Veronica shook his hand and sighed, this wasn't what she had expected to happen.


Somehow the news of Veronica's joining officially had spread throughout the base and as she was escorted back to the elevator every solider there saluted her as she passed them, she was unsure how to respond but waved her hand to them as she passed.

"Now I know why the Queen does this" She confided to Timothy.

He laughed, "But most people don't know the Queen the way we know you." He said and for some reason this made Veronica feel proud.

At the elevator Corporal Price was back on duty, he pressed the call button and saluted as the three approached. "Sir, Colonel Coleman Ma'am." He said to Sir Timothy and Veronica as the lift door opened.

Veronica thanked him and he dropped the salute as the three people entered the lift, the doors closed.

Veronica blinked, "What did he call me?" She asked Timothy.

"It's the equivalent rank in the Army, you didn't look at the insignia I put on your shoulders did you?" He replied.

Veronica reached over and gently removed on and she looked at it, the clip on insignia had two stars with a crown over it she looked at Sir Timothy puzzled.

He smiled, "You're uncertain about army insignias?" he asked, at Veronica's nod he continued, "That is the rank for a Divisional Chief of Staff and they are called Colonels." He patted her hand and then returned the insignia to her shoulder, "So don't worry when they call you Colonel." He said.


There was nothing else for Veronica to do and so Timothy arranged for a car to take her home with instructions for her duties on the next day.

When she arrived home she slipped off the insignia as she didn't want Sandra to see it and wonder what was happening.

Veronica entered the Living room and found Sandra going through the numerous prospectuses from those universities that had offered to accept her.

"Mum, I don't know what to do?" She said bewilderment showing on her face.

Veronica shook her head and sat down with her, "Well, first of all decide what you want to major in." She said.

Sandra just shook her head, "Well that's easy, Criminal Law, what else is there!" She said.

"Alright, now look through these and see how many have that as a major course." Veronica advised her.

After a quick read through they still had seven universities that seemed to offer Sandra's choice. Veronica knew that a couple of those were ones that members of the Partnership had attended and spoke of highly afterwards.

Then Sandra took a closer look at a couple of these and was about to put them on the rejected pile.

"Why are you doing that?" Veronica asked her.

"Because they don't let you do Criminal Law until you do a general course on the law!" Sandra told her.

Veronica was puzzled, "Well isn't it better to see how laws evolve, to look behind at the reasoning why they were created? Instead of just learning what laws there are?" She asked her daughter.

Sandra sighed, "But the laws are already there, who cares how it got there? Obviously it was decided that it was needed and so Parliament created it! How else do laws get made?" She said slightly annoyed at the way her mother was starting to treat her.

Veronica shook her head amazed at her daughter's attitude. "Because there could be a reason why such a law was introduced, to understand something you should be able to see what influenced the development of that law, from that you would be able to see how the law evolved and how it can be used." She said as if explaining to a child.

Sandra couldn't believe how her mother was treating her, "But I want the people locked up! If they did the crime then they should pay!" She said simply.

Veronica could not believe her daughter would be so dense but the venom that was evident in her voice was shocking, "What about those you're defending? Would you jeopardise your own case to ensure they got gaoled?" She asked.

"Defence? I want to prosecute these people, not defend them." She said angrily, "I don't want someone else's father killed just for some smart talker to get them off!"

Veronica shook her head, trying to get her daughter to see the sense in what she was saying, "But you may have to, it comes with the job. You can't pick and choose which one you're going to take!" She said but Sandra looked at her as if she'd been struck.

"How... how can you say that Mum? Would you have defended those thugs that killed Dad? Would you really speak for them and then watch them laugh if you win? HOW COULD YOU DO THAT? I DON'T BELIEVE YOU'D SAY THAT!" Sandra said and then stormed out of the room, leaving the papers strewn over the floor, the door slammed behind her.

Veronica looked at the closed door, a part of her wondering what had happened to her daughter.


Veronica went to bed, Sandra had not reappeared all evening and had refused to talk to her when she made a drink that night, Veronica had left it by Sandra's door.

As she lay on her bed that night the events of the evening started to run through her head, all the words seemed to run into each other as she fell asleep and they gave her troubled dreams.

Then she seemed to be walking along a street, she was dressed in a white cloak with a cross on the left breast, but she wasn't surprised that she was wearing it, it seemed right for her. She heard a footstep beside her and turned to see William walking with her.

"Hard time lass?" he asked her as they walked.

"Oh, you've no idea..." Veronica said and went on to describe her argument with Sandra.

William shook his head, "Don't worry about it lass, she's a young girl, she'll soon see the wisdom of your words." He said, which comforted her slightly but the fact that it was the first time since his death that Sandra had been angry with her, she told William this.

"Lass, lass, just think, she's growing and starting to see that the world isn't the nice comfy place she thought it was, she's going to find the hardships and she'll make mistakes. The toughest thing you will have to do is to allow her to do so!" He said.

"But I should..." She began but William stopped her.

"Lass, you are wearing the robe, what does it tell you?" He said which made Veronica look at him and think about this.

The fabric of the cloak was rough but warm, it covered her and she found that she could relax in it, as she did she heard other voices speaking to her one seemed to be more involved and then she found it was hers "In all things free will! The right of the individual to make their own choice in life! Thus was it given to all of the children of the Earth and so will it be!" she opened her eyes to find William nodding to her, he opened his mouth to say something but then he vanished.

"Will!" Veronica called out but he didn't answer, although someone else did.

"So you've returned? Are you ready to join the winning side?" Bemalin asked her. Veronica turned to face the Man, and called again for William, "Sorry sweets, but his kind cannot remain when I'm around... it's one of those things." He said with a sneer on his lips.

Veronica shook her head, "I've already told you my choice, and I haven't changed my mind!" She said building her courage as she did so.

"Suuurrree you have! Haven't you just fought with your own daughter, I mean would you have done that if you were yourself? They've changed you Veri! And you let them!" He said laughing.

Veronica put her hands over her ears, "I'm not listening to you!" She said, but then found it made no difference to the volume of Bemalin's voice.

"Do you like this?" He said showing her a small statuette, but Veronica didn't reply so he continued, "She was like you, so sure of herself, she thought she could beat me..." He laughed at that.

Veronica looked at the figurine it was of a young woman, in gold, but there was something about the eyes of the statuette... they were alive. "But that's barbaric!" She said.

"No! She challenged me and lost! I claimed this prize from her, mind you I did enjoy taking her and making her do whatever I wanted, how she struggled and screamed as I planted a piece of myself in her and returned part of her to the waking world. She'll never remember what I've done of course!" He finished laughing.

"YOU MONSTER!" Veronica cried out, "How could you?" She asked him.

He just smiled, "It was my right! I defeated her and so she was... and still is... mine! Oh the plans I have for that one, a prod here, a whisper there, and she will have to obey me!" Bemalin said, his tone suggesting things that Veronica didn't bear to think about. She turned to face him.

Bemalin sneered, "What's this? Do you want to challenge me?" He said

Veronica was going to speak out, but a voice, an unknown voice, spoke to her. "Grandmother! Use the cloak!" it said, this made Veronica pause, she looked at the garment around her and then she understood.

"Bemalin! I am a Chaplin of the Order of Christ. You cannot force me or order me! You have no hold over me!" She said with a calm voice

Bemalin's reaction surprised her. He smiled, "You're good, very good... We'll have to keep a closer eye on you!" He said and started to laugh, and laugh, and laugh...


... The ringing of the Alarm awoke Veronica, as she got up from her bed she had a fleeting sensation of a cloak still around her.

She got up and dressed, and then she started the breakfast as if nothing had happened the previous evening. Behind her she heard a noise of a cup being placed on the draining board, looking up she saw Sandra standing there, her eyes were red from where she hadn't slept well and had been crying.

"Oh mum... I'm sorry. I... I don't know what happened last night." She said.

Veronica shook her head and opened her arms; Sandra burst into tears and ran into her mother's arms.

Veronica stroked her daughters' hair, "It's alright Sandra love, these things happen and we're going to say things we don't mean... Now what have you decided?" She asked her daughter.

Sandra sobbed and didn't reply for a moment, and then she gathered herself and spoke, "I'll take the foundation course and then decide which degree I'll take later." She said decisively.

With her choice made Sandra felt her stomach rumble which made both of them laugh, "I'll get the breakfast made and then we'll talk." Veronica said and Sandra helped to lay the table.

While eating Sandra began talking about the things she'd need to do, there was accommodation to arrange and the books she'd be needing, then she thought of what she'd be wearing while at the University, then this and that and... Veronica stopped her in mid flow.

"Darling, why don't you make out a list and work your way thought that. But first of all you've yet to apply to the University, you might not get in." She said but her thought was that due to Sir Bartholomew's legacy and influence any University would accept her. "If they do accept you then we'll work on the rest of the list, alright?" She added.

Sandra nodded her head realising that she was rushing things again. She looked to her mother, "Mum, what should I do?" She asked.

Veronica smiled, "I think we should eat our breakfast and then worry about things later, for now you have letters to write and don't forget to mention the sponsorship." She told her daughter as she placed the food on the table.

The breakfast was soon eaten and the dishes washed and put away, Sandra went off to write her applications and Veronica got ready for work, she placed the insignia on her shoulders without thinking.

When she got to the waiting car she found Corporal Price standing by the door, as he opened it for her he saluted her she smiled at him. "Why Hector, what's that for?" She asked him.

He waited for her to return the salute before he answered, "Well ma'am, it's your right to be respected, normally we have to act like chauffeurs, but I remember that some chauffeurs do salute their passengers, so I'm not out of character." He said.

Veronica smiled and got into the car, Hector closed the door and walked around to the driver's door and entered the car.

Veronica sat back and then looked around her, there had been some more changes to the car, two phones — one on each door — were present as were new screens, one showing the forward view and another showing the rear, there was also a screen which was blank. "What's this one for?" She called out to Hector.

"That's for running news ma'am, you know to keep up with things happening, but that's when the BBC get's itself sorted out." Hector said.

Veronica smiled - at this time there was no such thing as a 24 hour news channel - she considered that the BBC Radio would be better to listen to and she said so to Hector.

"That may be ma'am, but then we'd get bogged down with women's hour wouldn't we." Hector said with a smile.

"Thank you!" Veronica answered with a smile; she hadn't listened to Radio 4 for some time. "Now what's planned for today?" She asked him.

Without looking Hector picked up a folder on the seat beside him and passed it back to her, "It's all in here ma'am, 0900hrs take you to the partnership, 1200hrs Lunch with Sir Timothy, 1400hrs Alpha 3, 1700hrs return home." He said.

Veronica studied the schedule and then looked up to where Hector was concentrating on the road, she notice that instead of a rear-view mirror he had a small screen — like she had — showing the rear view,

"Doesn't that get distracting?" She asked indication the screen,

Hector shook his head, "Oh no ma'am, we're trained to use it like a normal mirror, in some cases it's better as we can change the zoom for when we need to read the number plates of any cars that may be following." He said.

"Can you do that?" Veronica asked intrigued.

"Oh yes ma'am, we have weekly sessions at Beta 8, some are set up as chasers and others as runners, then we change over. I managed to get Charlie three times, he never learnt." Hector said smiling.

Veronica shook her head, "It's just like James Bond isn't it?" She said smiling.

"Oh yes ma'am, the only problem is we're not sure who's copying who in this!" Hector said also smiling.

Veronica gave a small chuckle, "Just as long as they don't sue!" She said.

Hector nodded, "Yes ma'am, although I think the partnership will be successful if they do!" He said.

At that time the car pulled up outside the Partnership office. Hector got out and opened the door, but before Veronica could step out he pointed to the insignia on her shoulders, "Excuse me ma'am, but I don't think you should wear those in public, might I suggest you keep them in your handbag." He said.

Veronica nodded and quickly did as he asked, then she got out of the car, "Thank you Hector." She said.

Hector smiled, "Thank you Ma'am, and its Hec." He said as he closed the door. "I'll be here for your 12 O'clock." He added.


As Veronica crossed the floor the doorman on duty pressed the lift button for her, "Just a moment ma'am." He said also saluting.

Veronica smiled, "Why Fred, you've never done that to be before." She said.

Fred blushed, "Well now its official ma'am I've got to show respect." He said as the lift 'pinged' to say it had arrived, the doors opened and Veronica entered it. Her last view of Fred was his saluting her as the lift doors closed behind her.

When the lift stopped Sally and April, the newest secretary, were standing by the doors waiting for her. Veronica arched an eyebrow, "What's this? A welcoming committee?" She said cheerfully.

Sally dropped her eyes slightly and then looked back at Veronica, "April said that you were going to be changing your hours. I thought we'd try to show that we're behind you." She said.

Veronica looked at April who met her eyes evenly, "So you knew about this?" She said pointedly.

April didn't flinch under her glance, "Yes Mrs. Coleman, it was part of my briefing for yesterday." Sally looked between April and Veronica puzzled.

Veronica nodded, "Very well, we'll need to have a talk about my changes, April can you get coffee for us and meet Sally and myself in my office." She said.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.