Veronica Coleman - Cover

Veronica Coleman

Copyright© 2006 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 3

Veronica was reading through a report on one of Adrian's prompted cases and seeing where the defence had failed the client when there was a knock on the door. She looked up as Sally opened it.

"Mrs. Coleman, your car is here." She said.

Veronica looked at the clock; it was half-past four. "They're early!" She said.

"My dear Veronica, I'm afraid we're late, your hours are from 9 to 4, and I do offer my apologies." Sir Bartholomew said sounding appropriately concerned.

"But that's only half the day! How much work do you think I can get done in that time?" Veronica protested.

Sir Bartholomew smiled and turned to Sally, "My dear I'll just have a few words with Veronica here, why don't you go back to your office." He suggested softly to her.

Sally looked between Sir Bartholomew and Veronica, who nodded her head, "If you need me Mrs. Coleman I'll be outside." She said not being sure of Sir Bartholomew.

After the door closed Sir Bartholomew looked back at Veronica, "Does she disapprove of me?" he asked her.

Veronica smiled, "I've just offered her the assistant secretary position, and I think she's making sure I'm still here tomorrow." She said.

"Oh no doubt about it, no doubt at all. And by the way thank you for calling for a car. It was just the thing I needed." Sir Bartholomew said smiling

"But you had Timothy nearby, just in case!" Veronica said dryly.

"Oh yes, I had him keeping an eye on the place, just in case we needed re-enforcements." Sir Bartholomew said unconcerned.

"I wasn't aware that things were that bad." Veronica said making a casual observation.

"Oh they're not, but it never pays to under-estimate your opposition." Sir Bartholomew said absent-mindedly.

Veronica let that pass but then reported on the results of her afternoon work, Sir Bartholomew frowned slightly, "I'm not sure about Oona being made an Article Clerk." He said.

Veronica shook her head, "I'm sorry Sir Bartholomew, but I was after the best person for the job, she was the only one with the training and so I hired her, if you don't think..." She went on to say but Sir Bartholomew raised his hand.

"Not at all, I said you would have free rein within this partnership and so far I cannot find anything to fault you, it was just a shock that's all, I'm sure Oona will be a great asset." He conceded.

Veronica released a breath that she didn't realise she was holding, "She will be, and when she goes for the Bar I'm sure she'll want to work with us."

Sir Bartholomew nodded, "I'm sure of it. Perhaps you'll keep an eye on her and see what she majors in, and we will have the necessary vacancy." He said thinking ahead. "Any other changes I should be aware of, apart from..." He gestured to the door and encompassed Sally in his words.

"Well I thought that if Joyce is smitten with Timothy then I'm going to need a secretary, and it's too much effort to break in a new one, so I'm getting Sally trained up for the position. She was the one who suggested Oona in the first place." Veronica said.

Sir Bartholomew's eyebrow raised and he looked back at the closed door, "Really, perhaps I should think about placing her in my Organisation..." He began.

But Veronica shook her head, "Oh no, Sally's mine not yours. So hands off!" She said smiling.

"But Veronica, I only choose the best people to work for me and that's why I chose you." Sir Bartholomew said also smiling, "And now if you're ready to pack up for the afternoon I will escort you to your car." He held out his arm for Veronica to take, reminding her of Timothy with Joyce.

Veronica shook her head, "Very well Sir Bartholomew, if you insist, but I want my hours to change to normal business hours." She said putting her arm though his.

"Whatever you say my lady, whatever you say." He said to her and opened the door.

Outside Sally was standing by her desk Sir Bartholomew nodded to her, "Good Afternoon Miss, I'm glad you're working for this partnership."

Veronica nodded, "Yes Sally, tomorrow you will report to this floor and that will be your desk, you are here now to train as assistant secretary to Joyce, you met her by the lift, I will see you tomorrow."

Sally nodded, she had already been told by Veronica that she was going to be working in the office, but this seemed to make it official. "Thank you Mrs. Coleman, I'll try not to make too many mistakes."

Veronica smiled at her, "I'm sure you won't, goodnight Sally."

Sally's smile was genuine, "Goodnight Mrs. Coleman." She said and went to the lift to press the button for the pair.

As the lift doors closed Sally's smile was the last thing they saw.


The trip home was uneventful and quickly passed, the driver opened the door for Veronica, and Sir Bartholomew leaned over to speak to Veronica as she stepped out, "The car will pick you up tomorrow Veronica." He reminded her.

The driver escorted Veronica to her front door and waited there until Veronica had closed it securely behind her before he returned to the car as he settled into his seat Sir Bartholomew spoke up, "Andrews I want you to meet me first before you come for Mrs. Coleman." He said.

Andrews nodded, "Certainly sir, return to Alpha 1?" He asked,

Sir Bartholomew shook his head, "No... Timothy is there at the moment getting to know a certain lady... take me to my club please." He said smiling.

Andrews didn't answer the smile but nodded, "Of course sir." And smoothly the car rolled away.


Sandra was already home from school; she was working on her homework when Veronica arrived through the door. Sandra looked out at the car that drove away. "Wow Mum, travelling in style then?" She said giggling.

Veronica shook her head, too overwhelmed at the day to speak, she removed her shoes and sat down in an armchair, leaning back and closing her eyes. Sandra finished writing and then left her dozing mother.

Veronica was awoken by Sandra putting a cup of tea down beside her, she smiled up at her daughter, "Thank you dear, I'm sorry it's been an exhausting day, although I didn't realise that." She patted her daughter's arm.

"How was your day?" She asked Sandra.

"Okay, I suppose. Mrs. Turner was a bitch in the class today." Sandra said.

"That isn't how you should call your teachers. Is it?" Veronica said mildly.

"Well she was, a complete B I T C H!" Sandra spelled out the word rather than say it, she knew that her mother could only be pushed so far, "She said Stacy and me were talking in class instead of cooking, but it was Fiona and Rachael behind us. She made us clean the Home Ec. classroom during break." Sandra complained.

"Didn't you tell her that it wasn't you or Stacy?" Veronica asked.

"What? And put Fiona and Rachael in trouble? No way!" Sandra said her voice showing shock at the suggestion.

"And that's how crimes are covered up. But I do understand, you've got to remain at the school with those girls, so it's better to show that you can keep quiet to your peers, rather than lose face with them." Veronica said.

"Mother, sometimes I understand what you say, but I think you're spending too much time with those long-winded solicitors!" Sandra said giggling, "But you're right, I don't want to be a snitch." She added.

"Then you'll have to put up with the obnoxious teachers and just bide your time, in the long run you'll get one back on her." Veronica said smiling, thinking back to her school days.

Sandra carried on talking about her day, before she started pestering her mother to tell her about her first day, gasping at the right moments and laughing when Adrian's expulsion was detailed, although Veronica didn't tell Sandra about everything that had happened.

She did tell Sandra about Joyce's dinner date and how Sir Bartholomew was happy with the results, "But you've only just started with her, how are you going to cope if she does leave?" Sandra asked which brought Sally into the story. "Mother, you are devious, have you told this Sally of the plans for Joyce?" She asked.

Veronica shook her head, "Of course not, as far as Joyce knows it was just a coincident that Timothy was in the area. So Sally doesn't need to know about this; and if you speak to Joyce you're not to tell her either, promise?" Veronica asked.

Sandra looked at her nails, "I don't know? I mean would you turn a blind eye if Mrs. Turner sends a bad report in about me?" She asked.

"I'm not going to make any promises about that, but you'd better have a good reason, apart from her being a bitch!" Veronica said, almost whispering the last word.

Sandra laughed, "Well, I don't really like Home Economics, but they make us girls take it, I wanted to do metalwork but got told it was too dangerous for girls, really!"

"I'm not sure I want a daughter who's a mechanic, you might need to cook a meal for your husband at some stage you know." Veronica said.

"I don't think I'll ever get married." Sandra said, "All the boys I know are just too childish to interest me." She said.

"But you've looked at them all the same?" Veronica asked.

"Well only a couple of them, but that's all I've done. They just keep on making stupid jokes, they're like morons." Sandra complained.

"They'll learn, most of the time they're too scared to do anything and so they hide it by doing stupid things, remember that and you'll find someone, just you see." Veronica said and then realised that she was almost advising her daughter to go out with boys!

"Don't think so Mum, not the lot in my class anyway." Sandra said and then looked at the clock, "gosh look at the time, I've got to have a shower and go to bed," She gave Veronica a quick kiss on the cheeks, "Night Mum, see you tomorrow." She said and dashed out of the room.

Veronica looked at the clock herself and noticed it was getting late, she looked to the picture of William on the sideboard, "Goodnight William, I hope I haven't put too many ideas into our daughter's head?" She said and, as she walked out of the room she turned off the light.


Both had slept in late the next morning, and had to hurry breakfast, Sandra dashing off to catch the school bus leaving Veronica to get herself ready for work.

Veronica had only just left the house and was walking to her gate when a car pulled up and a man stepped out, he was wearing a crumpled grey suit and his hair was untidy.

"Mrs. Coleman? My name is Crimmonson and I'm representing Mr. Adrian Thompson in his case he's bringing against you for unfair dismissal." The man, Crimmonson, said.

Behind him Veronica noticed a familiar dark car pulling up and two men getting out of it. "Mr... Crimmonson? Did you say? Well I'm afraid if you need any information then I suggest you contact my office and see me there; the street is not the place to conduct business." Veronica said coldly

Crimmonson reached out and grabbed Veronica's arm, as he did so there was the flash of a camera and then one of the two men spoke, "If you don't mind sir, I'd suggest you remove your hand before I'm forced to remove it for you!" He said, there was no anger in his voice and he sounded slightly bored.

Crimmonson dropped Veronica's arm as if he'd been struck. The first man then got between Veronica and Crimmonson. "Mrs. Coleman, Sir Bartholomew's compliments and if you'd come with us we will get you to work."

Crimmonson spluttered away, "NO! I demand that my client is re-employed..." He started to say.

Veronica spun round, "Mr. Crimmonson, I'm afraid that Mr. Thompson will be busy talking to the police in the near future, now if you don't mind I have some important work to attend to, goodbye!" And she quickly walked away to the car, Crimmonson tried to follow but found his path blocked by the second man, who had put the camera away.

"I suggest sir that you make an appointment, and should you remain here or be here tomorrow we will contact the police, as it is Mrs. Coleman is entitled to have you arrested for assault of which we have evidence. Good-day sir." The man said and returned to the car.


As Veronica got into the car she found Sir Bartholomew already in it and seated. "I'm sorry about Crimmonson Veronica, we didn't know he was going to be here so soon, but don't worry we'll have people watching out for him over the next few days." Sir Bartholomew said.

Veronica shook her head, "He didn't bother me, but I do wonder how he got my address" Veronica mused.

Sir Bartholomew shifted slightly, he knew where Crimmonson got his information, but it wasn't the time for Veronica to find out, he decided on a different subject. "I passed your recommendations to the Lord Chancellor's office." He said with a smile on his lips.

Veronica was puzzled, "My recommendations?" She asked.

"With promoting Oona Glover as the Article Clerk, it raised a few eyebrows but they agreed that she is the obvious choice for the Partnership." Sir Bartholomew said, the smile remaining.

Veronica didn't smile, "I wasn't aware that the appointment needed approval. You did tell me that I had control in the Partnership." She said.

"And so you do, even if they hadn't agreed Oona would have remained in her new position, I was just ensuring that such a promotion would be acceptable to the Lord Chancellor's office." Sir Bartholomew tried to defend his position.

"And they were amenable?" Veronica asked.

"Well, they weren't falling over themselves with praise; it seems that they are trying to convince the powers that be to increase the role of women in business." Sir Bartholomew had the decency to look contrite.

"That is the way of the world Sir Bartholomew! And you never know, one day we might have a woman Prime Minister." Veronica laughed.

"Well it is lined up for the next resignation." Sir Bartholomew said with a twinkle in his eyes.

Veronica just looked at him, "You know I'm never certain when you're joking or not." She said.

Sir Bartholomew laughed, "I know, isn't it infuriating for you." He said.


When the car pulled up outside the Partnership the man in the passenger seat got out and opened the door for Veronica, she stepped out but was stopped by Sir Bartholomew once more, "Don't worry about Crimmonson Veronica; I'm sure he won't disturb you again." He said.

After the door was closed Sir Bartholomew picked up a telephone handset and pressed a button where the dial should have been, when the mobile operator answered he give her a number. A cautious voice answered the phone.

"Paul? You know who this is? Good!... Call Crimmonson off... don't give me that, I know he works for you and you know I know. I want him called off! We're taking over Smythe and McKendrick with permission, and we're clearing house."

There was a pause while the person at the other end protested and then Sir Bartholomew broke in, "I'm aware of all that Paul, but you're not aware that Coleman is one of the forebears, and she's working for us. So don't try anything with her or the balance will be broken."

There was a few moments of silence before the voice spoke again, this time Sir Bartholomew was smiling at the response, "I'm glad you decided to see it my way, this battle is over, time for the next one I think. And Veronica is off limits?... Good. I hope your next battle is better for you. Goodbye Paul." He said and put the phone down.


Veronica walked across the foyer of Smythe and McKendrick; the guard got up from his chair and made his way to the lift, calling the car to the floor so that Veronica had no need to wait.

When Veronica thanked him he saluted, "For you Ma'am anytime." He said. Veronica shook her head after the doors had closed, 'this was too much' she thought.

When the lift doors opened both Sally and Joyce were waiting for her, as if they'd rehearsed it they both said in unison, "Good morning Mrs. Coleman."

Veronica shook her head, stifling a laugh, "And good morning to you both, now why do I deserve such a greeting?" She asked.

"Well everyone in the Partnership's heard about what you did and thought it we'd all show you some respect." Joyce said.

"And I've been asked to tell you that everyone is behind you and will follow your instructions — as long as you don't tell them to jump off the roof, but some of them did add that they'd try to avoid your window if they did." Sally said with a smile.

Veronica shook her head again. "I see... Joyce will you take a memo please." She waited for Joyce to get her notebook and pencil, "To all staff, while I thank you for your faith in me, I don't want you to blindly do as I say, should any, - And underline that please Joyce, - member of the Partnership feel that I am giving unreasonable conditions or do not agree with anything I request they are free to see me. — Can you send that to all staff please Joyce? Perhaps you can show Sally how to use the mail system." Veronica said

Joyce hid her smile, "Certainly Mrs. Coleman." She said and gestured to Sally to watch what she was doing.

Veronica stopped at her door, "Oh, and Joyce, if I can see you in a minute?" She said.

Joyce looked up and smiled "Of course Mrs. Coleman." She said exaggerating the name.

Veronica shook her head and carried on into her office. She had just sat down at her seat when the screen went 'bleep' and a message appeared saying she had mail. She opened the mailbox to read her memo to all staff.

After that her mailbox pinged again, and again, as people responded to her email, soon her mailbox was full of replies, all of them saying mainly the same thing — 'We're behind you in this'.

Veronica sat back in her chair, she hadn't really expected this response from the Partnership, the knock on the door was almost ignored in her shock. She looked up, "Come in?" She said and returned her eyes to the screen, reading the messages there.

Joyce entered the office, her notepad in her hand. Veronica waved her over, "Come here Joyce, this is the result of the memo you sent out for me, I just don't believe it!" She said.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.