Veronica Coleman - Cover

Veronica Coleman

Copyright© 2006 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 2

Veronica got out of the car and looked at the facade of the building that she knew so well.

It had been a couple of weeks since she had contacted Sir Bartholomew with her agreement to join. He'd asked her to wait while builders had made some changes to the insides of the building. He also provided her with account cards to allow her to purchase clothing suitable for her new position.

She swallowed and adjusted her suit to ensure that it still looked neat. She gripped the attaché case, with her suggestions inside, and entered the doors. She went to the senior partners lift and inserted a key into the call panel, a light blinked to acknowledge the call.

"I say, you can't use that!" a male voice spoke up.

Veronica looked around to where the voice originated and she found herself looking at Winters face, his eyes widened as he recognised her. "Mrs. Coleman? What are you doing here?" He asked.

"I'm just... spreading my wings, Mr. Winters." Veronica said as the lift doors opened, she stepped inside and pressed the only button, she almost smiled at Winters face as the doors closed.

When the lift arrived at the partnerships' floor the doors opened to reveal a waiting woman, "Mrs. Coleman? I'm Joyce, your secretary."

Veronica blinked in surprise, "My secretary? Why should I need one?" She asked.

Joyce smiled, "That's what Sir Bartholomew said you would say. I was instructed to say that you may find everything daunting if I wasn't here — there have been quite a few changes that you'll find out about. Now if you'll follow me I'll show you to your office."

"My office? I thought I'd be with the other senior partners?" Veronica said.

Joyce shook her head, "Oh no, since Sir Bartholomew stepped in we've had some re-organisation. All senior partners are now on this floor with their own offices and share secretaries, normally two to one, the junior partners are on the floor below along with the secretary pool. There are only two people with their own secretaries and that is the Head of Chambers, Mr. Palmer, who has Mrs. Witherspoon, who's just joining us since she was married. "Ah here we are!" Joyce opened a door into a large office with two desks.

Veronica nodded her head appreciatively, "Well this is nice... which desk is mine?" She asked.

Joyce shook her head, "Oh no, this isn't your office, it's mine! Yours is just in here." Joyce opened another door into a more discreet office, on the desk was, what appeared to be, a television screen.

"Well yes, this is more to my liking, but will I have time to watch television?" Veronica said looking at the screen.

Joyce blinked for a moment as if she didn't understand and then she smiled again. "Oh that is your word processor... think of it as a typewriter on the screen instead of paper, it's got a built in dictionary and also checks the spelling as you type, and it also holds your appointments of which I have a copy on my system." She explained.

Veronica shook her head and sat in the chair, turning it on its swivel, "What else is there in here?" She asked.

"Well this phone is so that you can contact me outside in my office, This one is an outside line — so you don't have to go through the switchboard, This bank of switches activate the sound recorders hidden around the office, just in case you require it, they also allow me to listen in and act in case of problems.

"There's a bar over here for those guests of yours who require it, if you require anything special just let me know and it will be provided. Now you have an appointment with Mr. Thompson in 10 minutes time, is there anything you need?"

Veronica considered and then asked, "Well a list of his expenditure and any other information found out about him would be nice to back up my accusations."

"On your desk along with a copy, there's also a file on your WP." Joyce said with a slight smile.

"WP?" Veronica asked puzzled.

"Short hand for Word Processor, if you like I'll go though the main features after your first appointment. Do you want any coffee?" Joyce asked walking to a small kettle and switching it on.

Veronica picked up the folder and started to read as Joyce placed a cup in front of her. Seeing that Veronica was involved in the file she quietly left the office and went to her desk.

Veronica was engrossed in the file, not only did it show Thompson's expenditure it also gave details of his workings in the office, confirming some rumours that had been circulating the offices.


Adrian Thompson, 35. Single. Current Position: Article clerk within Smythe and McKendrick.

Over the past few months Thompson has been using his position to exert more influence in the partnership. He had been showing favouritism by blatantly stopping some of the juniors from cases and giving them to others - due to this the partnership has lost three promising juniors.

There is also indirect evidence that he has been forcing his attentions on some of the secretaries.

He's been seen entering one of the private meeting rooms, followed a few minutes later by one of two secretaries. Only for her to emerge several minutes later, noticeably with tears on her face (Veronica made a note of her name and also the other girl mentioned. She contacted Joyce and made appointments to see them separately that afternoon).

Also has been seen associating with persons known to be dealing in drugs.

Home lifestyle — recommended that pages 15 — 18 be read in full... Where he obtains the monies to maintain such a lifestyle is not known.

Recommendation — we suggest that this person should be considered a risk to the partnership, we would recommend cessation of employment


Veronica then read the details of the report, she didn't like what was detailed in that, and she made up her mind to deal with this.

She picked up the phone, when Joyce answered Veronica said, "I'm going to record this interview, I think there might be trouble to come, is it possible to have someone else outside to witness what goes on?"

Joyce acknowledged this and then spoke up, "... And the 10 o'clock appointment's here" Veronica noted that Joyce's voice had altered and that she hadn't used Veronica's name.

"Good, send him in." Veronica said her voice neutral. She adjusted her position in her chair quickly composed herself before starting the tape recorders, and then she picked up the file again.

She heard the office door open and footsteps approaching the desk. She was amused to hear a muffled cough. She lowered the file and looked up.

Thompson was sitting in the chair in front of the desk, a smile on his lips. "Well, I heard you were back in the offices, Ver. But I never expected to see you here. You'd better be careful, there's some bigwig person going to be after your ass if they catch you reading their private stuff!" Veronica realised that he hadn't realised her new position and kept up the pretence.

She smiled sweetly at Thompson and then looked around, "And what would he do. Mr. Thompson?"

The grin never wavered from his face, "Hey Ver. What can I say?... Look I'll tell you what, when this dweeb arrives I'll cover for you, you know I'll scratch your back... if you'll scratch mine... Hey I like the idea of that, I mean you're not so bad looking even now, and you've got nice legs, how about meeting me later and wrapping them around my neck?"

Veronica seemed to consider that, "But what about Mandy and Susan, would it be right to do that to them?"

If he was surprised about her mentioning them he didn't show it, "Oh they'll be okay about it, I just won't tell them!" he said smiling.

"You don't care about either of them really, do you?" Veronica asked him.

Thompson moved back in his chair and opened his arms expressively, "Hey baby, what's one chick? It's the permissive age you know, it's expected... Now what's your answer?" He added pressingly.

"The answer, Mr. Thompson, is no!" Veronica realised that she didn't really like this man and decided it was time to finish this. "I note you've been making arrangements regarding the disposition of cases, how much have you made from this?"

Thompson frowned slightly, this wasn't how he expected her to react, and his charm had served him well before this. "That's my business; I will assign cases as I want, that's the job of an article clerk. If some of the junior's are... let's say, more appreciative of my choices then it's not my fault, is it?" He countered.

"And this appreciation also includes rake-backs does it?"

Thompson opened his arms again and smiled, "What can I say? I can't help it if they want to offer me payment at odd times." He said.

"You mean extra payment for doing your job! You're already paid enough by the partnership for this; you don't require more money for that." Veronica said her voice getting colder.

"Look you know how it is, I have to buy things, and they cost money. I've got an image to maintain. Get myself noticed in the right places and meet the right people. Then it's out of this dump and away." He sneered at her in what he thought was a friendly manner. "Tell you what why don't you come with me."

Veronica smiled at him. "I don't think so Mr. Thompson, you're not the type of person that we need in this partnership."

"Tough, I was told by Vise that as long as he was head of chambers I'd never have to worry about what others thought, and that he'd do his best to make sure that his successor would keep me on as well!" Thompson said with a confident grin on his face.

"I'm quite sure he wouldn't normally say that... unless there was a compelling reason of course." Veronica said while idly tapping her fingers on the desk, and touching the communication switch so that Joyce would be able to hear what was said.

"Well... let's say he was feeling very well disposed to me, especially after what I had found out." Thompson said confidentially.

"In other words you were blackmailing him as well, isn't that what you mean?" Veronica said in a friendly tone.

"Oh I wouldn't call it blackmail. He just saw where his best interest lay that was all." Thompson said now looking at his nails.

"Well Mr. Thompson, I'm afraid he didn't pass on that information. In fact he left no details regarding the continued running of this partnership. As you may be aware we are now under a new controller. A person interested in the smooth running of this partnership. As part of that new interest it has been decided that we no longer require your services..." Veronica was interrupted by Thompson.

"You can do that, you're just a secretary! So go and fetch me a cup of coffee and I won't mention this to your boss when he arrives!" Thompson didn't even move from his seat.

"Oh I'm so sorry Mr. Thompson! You see the only boss I have is Sir Bartholomew, I doubt if you know who he is, but suffice it to say that I have full authority to act on behalf of the partnership. And I also can say who is fired and who is kept! You, I'm glad to say, no longer work for this partnership, and following you statement I'm recommending that we pass the recording onto the police for a charge of Blackmail and possibly for perverting the course of justice." Veronica said evenly

"What... you think you can sit there and insult me like that! Just who do you think you are! You're just a jumped up piece of fluff that's all. You can't fire me and you know it!" Thompson had risen to his feet now and had his knuckles on the desk as he loomed over it to intimidate Veronica who just sat back looking at him.

"Sit down Mr. Thompson!" Veronica said in a commanding tone. "For your information, I am the... dweeb; I think you said - that you're meeting with. I didn't rely on giving sexual favours for this position and I don't blackmail people either. You are the type of person giving this profession a bad name. And you are no longer employed here!"

She pressed a button and Joyce entered the office, with her were two uniformed security guards. "Now Mr. Thompson, you can walk out of this office, clear your belongings and leave the building! Either under your own steam, or with the help of these two gentlemen... I leave the choice to you!"

"You've not heard the last of this, I intend to sue you and this place for unfair dismissal, then we'll see who has the last laugh, just you wait and see!" Thompson said as he stormed out of the office, followed by the security guards.

Veronica waited until he had slammed out of the outer office before she collapsed back into her chair. Joyce remained in the office, she went to a cabinet and opened it, switching off the tape recorder that was in there and removing the tape.

"Do you want me to pass this onto the police?" She asked Veronica.

"Let the senior partners hear it first, I want them to agree to my decision first." Veronica said and then saw the look on Joyce's face "Is there something wrong with that?" She asked.

Joyce shook her head, "Oh no, it's just that with regards to the staff you have full control over who is fired and who stays, it doesn't matter what the senior partners think. In fact you can even fire the head of chambers if you wish." She added smiling.

Veronica was aghast. "But that's ridiculous! I shouldn't be expected to be able to do that! I must contact Sir Bartholomew immediately and tell him he's wrong to do this."

Joyce smiled, "You'll be able to tell him yourself at lunch, your appointment is already made and your car will pick you up at 12 O'clock. Now we have half-an-hour before your next appointment, can I show you how to use the word processor"

The next 20 minutes were taken up with getting Veronica used to the equipment; What Joyce had failed to mention was that the system housed a complete office package of which word processing was only a small part.

Veronica was amazed at how quickly she was able to grasp the concept behind the screen icons and was soon typing up a résumé of her meeting with Thompson and the reasons behind firing him. The screen was flashing the odd misspellings, which were checked and changed where necessary. In fact her ability to do this also surprised Joyce.

All too soon Joyce looked up at the clock and went into her office to prepare for the next appointment. Veronica found a file on the screen and opened it; again there was a summary of the full information which she scanned.


Michael Winters, 28, a junior partner of the firm.

Was considered a good investment for the future of the Partnership, however past cases have been proving too much for his talents. Cases which could have been easily won had been lost... - list attached pending decision on actions.

Reason for this is not clear. The article clerk should have already dealt with this (Veronica now realised that they no longer had an article clerk, something would have to be done about that!) but seems to have ignored this problem.

Recommendation — If this person is properly supervised and coached he should soon get back onto track, suggest reverting to trainee status for 6 months and then re-assess situation.


Veronica smiled at that, having to drop back like some naughty child having to redo classes in school, but then she realised that it was more serious than that she buzzed Joyce.

"Joyce? We'll have to have someone go over all the cases that Winters and Thompson have been involved with, find out which ones were mismanaged and petition the courts to retrial those that should have been straight forward but failed." She told her secretary.

"Certainly Mrs. Coleman, but I think Accounts will want to know who to bill for that though?" Joyce replied.

"I suppose this office will have to pay... which reminds me, what is my budget?" Veronica asked suddenly interested.

"... You don't have one Mrs. Coleman." Was the surprising answer.

Veronica shook her head, realising that Joyce couldn't see her, "I suppose I don't." She sighed, "It's not as if I'm producing anything." She said sadly.

"Oh no Mrs. Coleman, you misunderstood. There is no ceiling to the amount of money you can spend; it's all backed by Sir Bartholomew! And as for production I wouldn't worry about it, you're already doing more than any of the senior partners have done before." There was a hint of laughter in Joyce's voice.

"What! But what if I make a mistake? What if I do something to bring the whole partnership down?" Veronica asked, a hint of panic entering her voice.

The phone went dead, Joyce entered the office and smiled at Veronica, "Mrs. Coleman, Veronica, don't worry. Sir Bartholomew has full faith in your abilities; he believes that you are what the partnership needs. I wouldn't worry about overstepping your brief, just do what you feel is right.

Veronica smiled at Joyce, "Thank you Joyce, it's a relief to hear that. Oh and please do call me Veronica. That Mrs. Coleman can be such a bore to keep repeating."

Joyce smiled, "Of course, Veronica, but when anyone else is around I'll have revert to Mrs. Coleman, now I'd better go back before Mr. Winter arrives. She gave Veronica a brilliant smile and turned to leave.

"Joyce?" Veronica called out, when Joyce turned Veronica smiled, "Thank you." She said.

Joyce nodded, "What else is a secretary for?" She said and quickly left the room.

Veronica wiped her eyes and took a deep breath, and then she focused her mind on the problem ahead.

Michael needed to be guided correctly, she went through the list of the senior partners and selected one who she knew was excellent at his work, he should be just the person. Using the mail facility on her system she passed her suggestion to Joyce and was please to receive an acknowledgement from her within seconds. 'Well that works!' she thought to herself.

She considered what to say and decided that she'd try to put Michael at his ease first, she removed the files from her desk, ensuring that there was no clutter - not that there had been any in the first place. And then she waited.

A buzz from her phone announced Michael's presence in the outer office, Veronica went to the door and opened it, "Hello again Michael, please come in..." She said to the man waiting outside.

"Mrs. Coleman? But I was told that..." Michael started to say but stopped himself before he said anything embarrassing.

"Please sit down, we have something to discuss, don't we?" Veronica said to the slightly scared young man. He hesitatingly sat in the seat indicated and looked at Veronica.

"Yes Ma'am." He said with a note of respect in his voice.

Veronica smiled, "Don't worry; we've invested too much money in you to just throw you out." She could see the relief on his face; "however..." His eyes went back to her, the fear now showing again. "You have been a disappointment to us." She felt like a mother admonishing a wayward child.

"But... I've been trying my best Mrs. Coleman, it's just that Adrian didn't want..." his voice faded under Veronica's gaze. "I'm sorry Mrs. Coleman, I'll just go quietly." He moved to get up from his chair.

"Remain seated Michael, from that I understand that Mr. Thompson was influencing your actions?" She asked him, he hung his head and then slowly nodded. "Can you tell me what it was?" She asked.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Coleman but I... I don't think... think it's something you'd be interested in." He reluctantly said.

Veronica regarded the man in front of her for a moment before getting up and walking to the bar, she poured out a shot of whisky into a glass and placed it into Michael's hands, "Sip it slowly." She instructed him, "and then I'll listen to your story."

Michael looked at her and then slowly lifted the glass to his lips.

Veronica watched Michael as he sipped away, "Now Adrian was blackmailing you to lose cases wasn't he?" Michael nodded slowly, "Can you tell me what it was?"

Michael swallowed, "It was while I was at university... I... needed money... for the courses." Veronica nodded encouragingly as Michael took another sip from the glass. "I saw an advert... for models in... films."

"Erotic films?" Veronica asked quietly.

Michael nodded his head, "But they didn't say that to begin with... I only made one and then left."

"But Adrian found a copy of it?" Veronica said, still quietly.

"He started saying things like 'Hollywood calling' and 'who's next for the casting couch?' I tried to pretend that I didn't understand, but then he showed me a print from the film... and then he said it would be a pity if the Senior Partners were to learn of this." He looked at Veronica she saw tears in his eyes. "Mrs. Coleman? What could I do?"

Veronica shook her head, "You could have gone to any of the..." But Michael shook his head.

"I tried to tell Mr. Vise, but as soon as I mentioned Adrian's name he said 'Mr. Thompson is a trusted member of the partnership!'" he mimicked the wavering tone of Vise, "I couldn't go anywhere else."

He sipped the drink again, "After the first case Adrian gave me £200... I couldn't touch it but he told me to take it as 'you never know when the acting career will call again.' That was two weeks later!"

Veronica nodded her understanding. "You didn't have to do what he told you to do, you know?" She said but he shook his head.

"You don't understand after the first case he was holding that against me as well... I was going deeper each time." He looked up at Veronica, "It was killing me, but I couldn't do anything about it."

Veronica stood up, "Well now you can! What did you do with the money that Adrian paid you?"

"I just kept it in a bank account, I thought if I didn't spend it... well I don't know what exactly, but I couldn't touch it at all." Michael said.

"Alright, that money will go towards re-opening those cases and appealing against the sentences — you will have to give details and, I'm afraid, tell everyone what happened."

Michael nodded "I know that, I suppose deep down I knew it would all come out in time. I thought Adrian would be the one to do it though, not me."

Veronica smiled reassuringly, "Think of it as a new start in the partnership, now I want you to tell Joyce, my secretary, all the details, then you will report to Mr. Frobisher as you're going to be working with him for the next six months. He will be reviewing your cases and presenting them to the appeals courts on behalf of the Partnership. You will give him your full assistance, won't you?"

Michael gulped and then nodded, "Yes Mrs. Coleman, and thank you Mrs. Coleman." He managed to say.

"Don't thank me just yet; soon you're going to feel that I've done the worst thing to you when you have to tell people about this, when you do come back to me and tell me so." Veronica said he looked at her quizzically. "Because I will support you and so will everyone within this partnership." She told him seeing his face react to her words.

Veronica pressed a button on her desk which called Joyce into the office - she also started the recorders again.

"Yes Mrs. Coleman?" Joyce asked her memo-pad and pencil in her hands.

"Joyce would you please take down Michael's evidence against Mr. Thompson, I think that this will allow us to take those steps that were discussed earlier, also when you've finished would you mind showing Michael to William's office."

"Certainly Mrs. Coleman," Veronica sat down on a chair next to Michael, her pencil posed on her pad, as Veronica looked at the clock and realised that it was nearly mid-day. "It's okay Mrs. Coleman, I'll have my lunch later, and your car is downstairs."

As Veronica left the room she looked back to see Veronica writing away as Michael spoke, she knew that after he was able to tell someone he would be more relaxed.


"Well Veronica, how was your morning?" Sir Bartholomew asked her as they finished their lunch.

Veronica shook her head, "You push me into this job and expect me to sort out the problems in one morning?"

Sir Bartholomew shook his head. "Not at all! However I am happy with your work so far, I've read your report on Adrian Thompson, clear, concise and accurate; do we have enough evidence to have him arrested?"

Veronica nodded, "Along with Michael Winters confession. Although I still don't know who Adrian was working for - if anyone. He may have just been in it for the money, but there's too much thought behind this. Adrian came into knowledge that doesn't just drop into people's laps."

Sir Bartholomew frowned, "maybe he was just lucky?" he suggested

But Veronica shook her head, "Not as lucky as that, just think... Adrian was in a position to assign certain cases to people, if he wanted to just lose cases he would have given them to inexperienced solicitors, but even then they might just win a case... so he suddenly has a hold over two of them, knowing they'll do exactly what he tells them.

"Now what if they try to tell the senior partners about this blackmail?... Simple, have something on Mr. Vise. He won't allow any changes and will just dismiss their claims — their only recourse would be to resign." She paused, waiting for Sir Bartholomew's prompt.

"And why couldn't they do that?" He asked.

"Because Adrian would tell the next firm their secret, and then they'd be under the same thumb, or wouldn't give them references and, given their case history, they would have found it very difficult to find lodgings in London, they would have to go further afield, for a lot less money."

Sir Bartholomew studied Veronica closely, "So you don't think that ours was the only partnership affected by this... problem?"

"I don't, I must admit that I'm not certain about that, it would need investigations and many heads would roll." Veronica said, her face reflecting her doubts.

"I'm not! There have been many cases that were foregone conclusions but then went the wrong way. Even the Solicitor General's office has noticed this. All we need is the evidence from just one partnership to start the whole lot unravelling." Sir Bartholomew told her simply.

"Why didn't you tell me this before?" Veronica asked him.

"We had to keep it secret, if any clue of what we were going to do leaked out then the people behind it would have pulled away, but now teams are going into the other partnerships as we speak, even our poor Mr. Thompson is now under special observation, and whoever he contacts will also be followed."

Veronica looked at Sir Bartholomew closely, "Teams? Just what have I joined up with?"

Sir Bartholomew smiled at her, "The good guys, I'm glad to say."

"So am I supposed to take your word on that? Or what might happen if I don't?"

"Oh my dear, nothing like that, you have to make up your own mind, we won't force you into anything that you don't want to do. Let me ask you this... How did you feel about your first morning?"

Veronica considered his words, "Well... in a way it was refreshing! I mean I was apprehensive about starting of course, scared that I'd make a mess of things, but Joyce has provided great support... which she was supposed to do? Wasn't she?"

Sir Bartholomew smiled again, "you are very quick Veronica! Yes Joyce is one of our operatives. To tell you the truth I hope that my son will see what a good person she is, don't tell him please?" He looked at Veronica with a twinkle in his eyes.

"So you're trying to be a matchmaker as well?" Veronica raised her eyebrow at him.

"Let's just say I'm not getting any younger, and I'd much rather that Timothy had an established family life before I retire, it's not something I want him to miss out on you know." Sir Bartholomew said confidentially then his manner changed slightly "Now what are you going to do next at the partnership?"

"Well the next interview is with John Mills. He's been losing cases as well, but I'm not certain why... the quick scans I've done on his file don't indicate any connection with Adrian at all. But the strangest thing is that the cases he has lost were for dubious people anyway." She noticed that Sir Bartholomew had a strange expression on his face, "Or is there something you should be telling me about this?" She asked him.

"Err... well... you see we had to have a contingency plan, just in case you decided not to take on this position... and John was well known to our Organisation..." The way she heard it Veronica could almost picture the last word with a capital letter, "So we asked him to..."

Veronica cut Sir Bartholomew off, "You told him to deliberately lose cases to try to attract Adrian's attention? How could you do that?" She asked him.

"Because we were asked to! I'm sorry Veronica but it wasn't a case of asking nicely for Adrian to stop what he was doing, we had to obtain evidence, and if it puts your mind at rest we got John's cases reviewed at other courts, the convictions were confirmed." He noticed Veronica's shrewd eyes watching him closely, "There was no mention of the previous case and all parties agreed to this." He told her.

"Alright Sir Bartholomew I'll accept your word... for now. So do I return to the partnership or have I done your dirty work and can now be released?" She asked him.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.