Equal Shares - Cover

Equal Shares

Copyright© 2006 by steveh11

Chapter 47

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 47 - This is a love story, an erotic story, that doesn't feature kids of school or university age; it isn't a coming of age story. This story actually features people who are 'grown up'. It's a slow story, about a man who begins as emotionally dead, but who has the support of a few people who can help him, just enough support. It also tells the story of those around him. New chapters will be posted weekly.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Mult   Romantic   Lesbian   BiSexual   Heterosexual   DomSub   Safe Sex   Oral Sex   Anal Sex   Masturbation   Slow  

Eventually, Stan and Denise were both informed that they would be able to leave The Firm at the end of the first week in April. Their final weeks flew by in a rush as they tasked themselves to tidy up their projects and hand them over to others. Stan thought it significant that no thought was given to hiring replacements.

As the time for their departure grew closer, Stan and Denise gave thought to saying goodbye to people. Denise wasn't looking forward to saying it to Elaine, and Stan had no idea at all how to approach the subject with Elizabeth.

Anne, meantime, had now completed most of the hardware design for the project, and was beginning on the embedded firmware that would turn it from an interesting concept into a product. She still had more work than she could easily deal with, but now at least some of it could be done at home. This allowed her, with Sid and Ken's approval, to reduce her commute from six days a week to four, with the other two days spent at home. Anne being Anne, of course, she simply ploughed the recovered hours back into her work. Privately, Stan thought that her bosses — soon to be his bosses — had anticipated that, which contributed to their agreement.

His thoughts were increasingly along the lines of 'What have I done?' He was beset by doubt over his decision to quit The Firm. One night, lying next to Anne in the darkness, he was feeling so unsure that he was tempted to ask if he could rescind his resignation. It was largely the sense of shame that he would feel as a result that deterred him from doing that, along with a good dose of in-the-morning realism.

It was Elizabeth he talked to about it that morning.

"It's just nerves, Stan. You've always been resistant to change, and this is a big one. Mind you, I thought you'd become more amenable to change, given what's happened in the last year."

Stan couldn't help but smile as he mused. "Yes, I suppose I should be... but this seems... different."

"You made the right decision, Stan. We've both said that this isn't the nice, small, friendly firm we used to enjoy working at. Leave now, with a good chance of success in your new job. Don't hang around, hoping for things to get better."

Elizabeth looked far away for a moment, and then returned her gaze to Stan.

"I told Bob this morning, now I'll tell you. I'm going to retire at the end of May."

"That's wonderful, Elizabeth!" Stan blurted, but then he let the implications of the news settle in. "That is wonderful, Elizabeth. But I feel sorry for Bob, he must wonder what he's done."

"Actually, he was very gracious about it. I think he's looking forward to breaking in a younger assistant. Probably one with better legs!"

Elaine would be staying. As she told Denise, "I still enjoy working here, and it's handy for home, and Susan. Jobs with those advantages don't grow on trees, so I'll stay."


The next news that Stan got was expected, but very pleasing. A few days later he walked into work as usual, said hello to Elaine, walked into his office and sorted himself out. Once he was settled, Elizabeth leant forward over the desks between them.

"I have some news," she said.

"Oh?" was Stan's reply, as he pulled himself away from his morning emails.

"You remember I told you James and I were going to be going on a cruise around the Mediterranean this summer?"

"Yes, you said. It's not off, is it?"

"No, it's definitely on. It's going to become a honeymoon cruise. I'm marrying James," Elizabeth said.

Stan beamed. "Oh, good, we get another wedding to go to!" he said.

"When did he get up the gumption to propose?"

"Oh, he hasn't yet, but he will, he will. He just needs a little more gentle prodding, and assuring that he won't be turned down. I know what I'm doing," she giggled. Stan was amazed. Elizabeth, turned into a giggling schoolgirl?

"You don't think it's wrong, me getting married at my age, do you?" Elizabeth asked him, a slight worry frown on her face.

"Of course not."

"I just don't want to seem silly, marrying at my age. But James has been wonderful to me, and attentive, and it's just a case of making sure that he knows that when he asks, I'll say 'Yes'. I never expected to get married again after George died. James makes me happy when I'm with him, he's a good companion." Elizabeth leaned towards Stan, and in an exaggerated whisper told him, "He's good in bed, too!"

Stan laughed, got up and went around to Elizabeth's side of the desk. Pulling the older woman to her feet, he kissed her briefly and then stepped back a little, before saying, "You'll never change, Elizabeth. Thankfully! I'm so pleased for you, and I'm sure Denise and Anne will be, too. When's the cruise? How long has he got?"

"The cruise is at the beginning of August, so we'll get married just before we leave. It'll be just a quiet one. I want you and your two girls to come, of course."

"Assuming he does ask, Elizabeth. There's no guarantee he will."

"He will, Stan. If he doesn't, then I'll ask him!"

Stan laughed and hugged Elizabeth to him.

"We'll be there, Elizabeth. Now, pop along and fix your makeup so we can get back to finishing up our time here!"


Too soon in some ways, it was the last day. Stan's first news wasn't about him, though.

Elizabeth waited for him to settle at his desk as usual. Then she showed him her left hand.

There was a new ring on there. An engagement ring.

Stan looked up, smiling. "Congratulations! When did he pop the question, Elizabeth?"

"Last night, over dinner. It was very romantic, down on one knee and everything. I told him that at least he didn't have to ask my father first."

"It's really, really lovely, Elizabeth. So now it certainly will be a honeymoon cruise. You'll have to let the cruise company know."

"I'm phoning them this afternoon, Stan. Among a number of other calls I have to make. Don't forget! You'll be getting an invite, of course."

"How could I forget? Many congratulations, Elizabeth."


Both Stan and Denise knew there'd be the usual collection and presentations, but what Stan wasn't prepared for was being asked to come into Jon's office late that morning. Denise was there, and so was Bob. Jon indicated to Stan that he should sit next to Denise, then cleared his throat and began.

"Stan, let's not pretend that there'll be a surprise, you know what happens as well as I do. There's a presentation this afternoon at three. The twist this time is, we'll be making the presentation to both of you at the same time."

"Everyone knows that you're an item, you pair," Bob continued, perched on the corner of Jon's desk. "You're leaving together to start work at the same firm together, so we thought it made sense to make the presentations at the same time."

"So we'll want you both there, in the canteen, at three. You can spend the time between now and then sorting out your 'thank you' speeches," Jon finished with a slight smirk.

Stan looked at Denise, who looked back at him through her excited grey eyes.

"I think we can handle that, Jon, Bob. Thanks!"

So, that afternoon, Stan and Denise stood at the front of the canteen with Bob and Jon, while just about everyone who could be there piled in to see them get their going away gifts.

Bob leaned to Stan and quietly asked, "Ladies first?" Stan nodded and murmured, "Yes, certainly."

Bob stepped forward slightly, and cleared his throat, calling the room to order.

"As you all know, Denise and Stan are leaving us today. As they're both joining the same company outside here, we thought it fitting to do both presentations together. Jon, if you would, please?"

Jon took over. "Denise has been with us for several years now, and has always been one of the, er, sunnier people it's been my pleasure to work with. Well, provided she wasn't annoyed with me, anyway." There was a ripple of polite laughter, less polite and more edgy from those who'd felt the raw edge of Denise's tongue.

"It's been a great pleasure to work with her and I'm really annoyed with Stan for helping to entice her away." (More polite laughter.)

"We'll be sorry to see her go, but I'm sure she'll have success in her new venture." He turned to Denise. "As always, your colleagues have had a collection and have bought you a leaving present and a card."

He handed over a small box wrapped in some fancy blue metallic paper and a large card. Denise set the card down on the canteen counter for the moment, and opened the box.

Inside was a small ceramic figurine of a dancer, with golden red hair and wearing a long red flowing dress. The box was labelled "Giuseppe Armani" and "I Could Have Danced All Night". Denise took a look at it and burst into tears, it was so beautiful, and so right for her. She managed to sob out a "Thank you, everyone!"

She pulled Stan to her and buried her face against his chest. Stan said, "I think she likes it, folks. Thanks, thanks very much." His own throat felt like there was something blocking it. The figurine was truly stunning, their co-workers and friends had gone to considerable trouble and expense to find something like that for her.

Bob said, "While Denise is recovering herself, let's do the honours for Stan, then."

"Stan joined us just under twenty years ago. He's one of those people that everyone in The Firm knows, and I think everyone likes. He's been with us through good and bad times, and through his own personal trials and tribulations, such as the sad loss of his wife just over a year and a half ago. Some of you may know that it was Denise, here, who helped to pull him out of that, and she did it by persuading him to take dance lessons, lessons which she, herself, later joined. Hence the present! But for you, Stan, we have something a little different."

He presented Stan with his card, and another box of about the same size. Stan ripped the paper off it and then carefully opened the plain box.

Inside was a diorama style figurine of a skeleton sitting at a computer desk. The screen displayed "Surfed too long".

Stan burst out laughing. "It seems impossible to get rid of a reputation," he told the assembled host, "though I haven't pulled an all-nighter playing games on the PC for a couple of years. Thank you, everyone."

One of the canteen ladies, smiling, laid another box on the counter, and Bob handed it to him, smiling broadly. "Here's your real present from us all, Stan."

This box contained the full boxed set of the series "Angel" on DVD. Stan was delighted, and told the crowd, "Thanks! Thank you very, very much."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.