The Last Letter
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2006 by BanditIRA

1, October 2000

Dear Isabelle,

It's hot as a damn sauna where I'm at right now, except there's not a drop of humidity. They brought us out here for some damn odd reason. They say it's to prepare for our most readily available enemies. That's kinda strange considering I have heard talk of North Korea being our main target right now. No clue what is really going on with those above me who are making those oh so important decisions. I miss the summer right now, I miss the cool lake we would all race to after lunch for a long afternoon of swimming and games. Do you remember that time we just floated in the lake next to each other, staring up into the bright blue skies? I have been thinking about that day for a long time. It is one of the times I felt like nothing could ever be more perfect.

Graduation day was strange, I felt like I wasn't the same person I was those nine long weeks ago. Beyond the physical side of things, such as being in a much better shape and having a shaved head, I noticed I wasn't that same happy go lucky kid. The thought of bullets flying over my head had a weird effect I guess ... I didn't see you though, not that I expected you to be there, I mean how could you know that I have written a letter to you at least every other day for the whole time I have been here. I just miss you I guess. The whole summer I was gone, I haven't been able to attend any family gatherings, it's been nothing but push-ups, running and a major lack of sleep. I haven't seen you all this time, yet I still remember every line of your face, the way your left cheek has that small dimple when you smile...

Ok, sorry, no more of that right now.

I got another promotion, nothing major really. Got it because of my leadership qualities ... Not much of a leader if you ask me.

I've got to go for now.

Yours still,

Joseph

Joseph couldn't really think too much anymore, his brain was fuzzy from the long nap that had overtaken him, looking down towards his watch he was almost astounded to find so much time had passed.

The plane was still unsettling to him, but he was used to it for the time being, or until they were about to land. That part, Joseph knew, would truly screw with his calm presence, hopefully he would be able to find one of those handy little bags if it came to that. Pulling the chair completely forward he tried to stifle a loud yawn and stretch, not being entirely successful, he noticed Joanne poked her head into the cabin and smiled at him.

"Hey there! Looks like you were pretty tired, huh?"

"Yeah I was." he said as he started to taste his morning breath. "Did I snore at all?"

"Nope not that I noticed, though I actually fell asleep next to you for about an hour, I guess ... That was until Mary from business class came to find me about a problem and saw me conked out beside you." Her cheeks were blushing prettily as she shook her head slightly.

"Oh, well I hope you didn't get into trouble or anything..." Joseph started to say before she cut him off with a wave of her hand. Holding up one finger she smiled at him before disappearing behind the curtain.

Joseph looked down at his watch again and almost groaned. He figured out quickly that he hadn't actually bothered to set it to the accurate time zone that he would be landing in. That very time zone was now quickly becoming a very startling reality as he did the quick conversion and setting his watch. Almost time to land.

Joanne quickly poked back in as he was pulling his belongings together and stuffing them into the backpack he had with him. She leaned into the row of seats and held out a steaming hot cup of coffee, the smell of the black liquid made his stomach grumble loudly. Joseph gave her a good natured smile and winked to her as he took the cup.

"Thanks, looks like we're almost to Chicago I guess..." he said, blowing into the cup of coffee, then taking a long sip. It wasn't bad he thought, he'd had better, but his life in the military sure had brought him a lot worse.

"Yep, we will be getting ready to land in about twenty minutes. I would have brought you breakfast if we served one on this flight, but with it arriving so early we don't because most of the travelers are still to sleepy to really focus on it." she smiled as she pulled back from him, leaning against the seats in front of him as she watched him work on the small cup of coffee.

They talked for a few more minutes before she looked at her own watch and said, "I guess I'd better go and get everything ready for the landing. I'll see you before you get off."

Joseph watched her lithe figure disappear down the aisle and through the curtain. He smiled at her thoughtfulness with the coffee, it would, he hoped, settle his stomach somewhat and rid him of the nerves that were gnawing away in a corner of his mind. This was it for him, once he stepped off the plane in Chicago his career in the military, and life as he knew it was over. It was sobering and worrisome all at the same time. He still had the connector flight to Louisville, but this was it.

The plane ride down from the sky and onto the land below was a quick and almost painless process for Joseph. Luckily he didn't need the little bag after all, it was also in part due to that while his body was on the plane, his mind was racing over the last million or so miles that had brought him to this very point. So many friends, so many goodbyes and hellos, throw into that the funerals and the partys, the laughter and the heartache; Joseph was just not sure how he would adjust to having had what he figured as the adventure of a lifetime, and how to handle the ending of that adventure.

Disembarking off the plane Joseph didn't see Joanne as he was ushered not too unkindly from the plane by a small older woman who reminded him of a basset hound, she had a very droopy face with large watery blue eyes.

Joseph patted himself down as he went through a quick inventory to make sure he had his wallet, watch, tickets and backpack on him. He stumbled again for a second time in the last twenty four hours into Joanne as he had his head down trying to adjust his backpack and wallet at the same time. This time though she must have been waiting for it as she quickly steadied them both and laughed gaily at his helpless expression.

"Joe, I sure hope you weren't one of those mine field demolition guys." Smirking, she wrapped her arm in his as she started them off towards another airport lounge.

"Nope, I sure wasn't. I like my toes and fingers, and I am not sure how they would look in some sealed jar and me on the other side of the glass ... Where are we going?" he asked as she was leading him towards a long row of chairs.

"I am making sure you get to your connector, I know this place is usually one giant madhouse and figured I would never forgive myself if I let you miss your plane, which if I am right should be ready to board in about twenty minutes."

They walked towards the departure zone arm in arm as she laughingly told him of missing her own flight home before, because she was so tired that she had fallen asleep in the flight attendants lounge. Sitting side by side they waited for his flight and as his row was called onto what surely was going to be, from the looks of the area around him, a busy flight, she hugged him tightly, her thin body almost plastered to his own.

Feeling her hand slip into his dress uniforms coat pocket, he pulled back slightly and looked at her.

"Read that on the flight home soldier." she smiled brightly leaning in and giving him what was surely a five alarm kiss, making him feel small tingles all through his body. Pulling away she hugged him as he started to splutter, then said "Just read the note, hun."

Joseph nodded his head as she spun around, walking quickly away from him. He lost sight of her as a huge crowd of people walked past him.

As he settled down into his seat on the plane to Louisville he was reminded of his parachute classes and being sandwiched between fully loaded soldiers, only now he was sitting between a very large man and a very small old lady. Though thankfully this flight was to be mercifully short, only a hop really, compared to the giant leap he had made earlier on the way to Chicago.

Pulling the note from his pocket after the takeoff, he smiled to himself as he glanced at the neat blue handwriting.

Joe,

I actually live in Louisville, I just had another flight out to the east coast before heading back home. I will be back in town for a few days, if you need anything or just want to talk give me a call. If I'm not home leave a message and I will get back to as soon as I can.

Jo

Attached to the letter was her number and address. Joseph smiled to himself as he stuffed it back into his pocket. He knew without a doubt he would be calling her, besides being quite beautiful she seemed like someone he could easily become very good friends with.

Getting out of the Louisville Airport was another challenge of sheer lunacy, Joseph thought, as he was walking towards his dark black Jeep. It still looked brand new to him, he hadn't really driven it that much before he went into the military, and only sparingly over the past years. While he himself only drove it sparingly when he was home, he knew his dad drove it a couple times a month to and from work and used it heavily during the winter months. But it was still his baby, it made him feel almost home, even though 'home' now sounded strange to him. But home was the right word for it; it was comforting to see it again.

Opening the door he tossed his bags across the driver's seat and into the passenger's. Sitting down into the soft leather seat he groaned, although he had been sitting the whole time on the plane rides, this was something different; it was home, even if it was a vehicle. He also didn't have to listen to the little old lady from the last flight talk his ear off about her granddaughter, bless the old woman but she'd almost driven him nuts.

He tried pulling the seat forward just a bit to get comfortable but felt it bump hard into something underneath; reaching down below him he pulled up a small black leather bag. Inside was tucked a note from his mother which he read first before investigating the rest of the contents.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.