I Need To Know
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2006 by DG Hear

I slept on the couch another night. I know I would have to sleep in the bed eventually. First, I needed to get Lydia's personal things out of the room which I had done. I would wash the sheets and blankets also. This might not seem right but I needed to get the smell of Lydia out of the room. I loved her very much, but now she was gone and I had to go on with my life. I even changed the room around so it would look different when I walked into it.

I got dressed and headed to the police station. I kept a small notepad in my vest pocket to jot down any information or leads. I was going to do nothing for the next week but track down leads and try to get some answers.

At the police station - it was actually the sheriff's office - I talked to the investigating deputy. I asked him to explain everything to me, not to worry about what I might think.

"Deputy Burke, I need answers. My wife was killed along with my son. I know a man named Derek Cain was also killed. I didn't know this man. Maybe there was an affair or maybe there wasn't. All I'm looking for is the truth. Nothing can be changed now. Mrs. Cain and I are both looking for closure."

"Well, Mr. Johnson, when I arrived we found the car overturned into the gully down over the hillside. Our best guess is that your wife was driving and was going at an excessive speed and missed the curve. There were brake marks at the curve which tell us this was not intentional." The deputy looked at me. "It ruled out suicide."

"Were they fully clothed sir, or did it look like they might have been doing anything intimate at the time." I asked.

"No, they were both fully clothed. No sign whatsoever of any intimate activity. They were killed when the vehicle rolled over at least twice coming to rest on its top. There is no other information that I can give you at the present time."

"Thank you, officer."

"Mr. Johnson, I have a couple of questions for you. Do you have any idea where they were headed? We figure they were coming from town. We were wondering where they met up. Mrs. Cain said her husband's car was still parked at his office. We thought Mrs. Johnson might have gone there to pick him up."

"It's very likely that she picked him up there. My wife sells - or should I say sold - real estate. They might have been looking at properties. I wish I knew. If I find out anything at all, I'll let you know. Please keep me informed if you find out anything also."

"One more thing, Mr. Johnson, your insurance company asked for the vehicle so they could inspect it. We will need your consent to turn it over to them."

"I want to look through it first if I may. I'm going to the insurance office later and I'll take a release form with me."

"That's fine with me. If we find out anything at all, we'll contact you," the officer said.

After leaving the Sheriff's Department I called Connie.

"Hello."

"Connie, it's Jerry. I've got a little information from the police department. I'm headed over to talk to the insurance company now..."

"Jerry, can I meet you at the insurance company?"

"What for?"

"They called me and asked to see me. I guess they want to settle with me. Depending on your wife's policy, they have medical and bodily injury coverage to pay for. I really don't want to face them alone."

"Connie, you are going to sue me and you want me to be there while you're doing it?

"Jerry, Derek was in the insurance business. I will explain it to you later but, yes, in a sense I'm suing you. I'm not taking anything from you, Jerry, believe me. What I get in insurance, I'm putting away for my kids. They come first in my life. You need to understand that. I promise I won't take anything from you."

"Okay, Connie, I trust you for some reason. Don't go using me. I want us to help each other, not be at odds."

"Believe me, Jerry, you are one person that I would never want to hurt. You are an innocent bystander in this whole mess. I'll meet you at the insurance office in about an hour. I'll need to take my kids to my mother's.

I was in the insurance company's parking lot waiting for Connie. I'm not up much on this insurance stuff so I hope she was being honest with me. All I had left was my home and personal belongings. I did have six years in my retirement but I knew no one could touch it. I also had about ten grand in a savings program the company offered. It wasn't losing that little bit of material items that would bother me. It was losing the only person whom I could share experiences with right now.

Connie pulled up in her van. She came over to my car and got in.

'Jerry, I need to explain this insurance stuff to you. I want you to know I will not take anything from you. I need you to know that. Is that why you're staring at me, Jerry. I feel somewhat uncomfortable."

"I'm sorry, Connie. I'm really sorry for staring at you. This was the first time I saw you other than in distress. You are a beautiful lady. God, I'm so sorry for staring at you. I have no right to look at you like that."

"Jerry, it's okay. I thought you might think I was trying to use you and it bothered me that you would think that of me. Thank you for the compliment though."

"Connie, I buried my wife of five years yesterday and I find myself looking at you. It isn't right, not after one day."

"Quit beating yourself up for being human. Maybe we should change the subject back to insurance. I will only sue for the value of your insurance. I don't expect a million dollar suit here. We'll have to see what amount of coverage your wife had."

We walked into the insurance office together.

"Jerry Johnson and Connie Cain, we're here to see Mr Bower."

The receptionist looked up and gave us a business type smile and called Todd Bower. He was our agent for the insurance company. He came out and greeted us but was surprised to see us together.

"I'm so sorry to hear about your wife and son, Jerry. I know this has to be a traumatic time for you." He looked over at Connie. "I'm also sorry for the loss of your husband, Mrs. Cain. This is trying times for all of us."

"Todd, we both lost loved ones. Your company will lose some money. Hardly comparable losses. I know you mean well and thank you for your condolences but we want to get all this insurance stuff out of the way. It isn't the most pleasant of circumstances."

"I agree, Jerry. The claims adjusters are in my office. Who wants to go first?"

"If it's all the same to you, Mr. Bower, we'll come in together. You see, we are here to support each other in our losses. Also, my husband, Derek, was an insurance agent and I understand policies and might be able to support Jerry in that respect," Connie said.

I know that Todd was taken aback. He did say that we could come in together, even though it wasn't his preference in doing so.

The adjuster looked at both Connie and I and said, "I'm sorry, but this is not good business practice for both of you to be here together. I'm afraid that one of you will have to leave the office."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.