Accidental Martian - Cover

Accidental Martian

Copyright© 2006 by Mocha1120

Chapter 4

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 4 - This story is set in Al Steiner's Greenies Universe. David Reed is an Earthling sent to Mars by his company. The story starts ten years prior to the Martian Revolution. On the surface David seems to be a normal Earthling, but David has a secret life. This is the story of how David changes from an Earthling into a first generation Martian.

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/Ma   Mult   Consensual   BiSexual   Science Fiction   Polygamy/Polyamory  

Alexander Industries New Pittsburgh Ammunition Plant, Mars

Thursday, April 19, 2136, 12:15 pm

David Reed walked into the office of General Operations Manager Rufus Farley with a spring in his step. Even now, Ms Johnson was packing her belongings in the assistant plant manager's office. David's boxes of mementos, et cetera were sitting in the assistant plant manager's conference room waiting for him to unpack them. Tomorrow morning he could actually start doing his job without Ms Johnson looking over his shoulder.

David still thought of Jacquelyn Johnson as Ms Johnson. That was mainly because after they left Tom Nichol's office on Tuesday she turned to David saying, "I may be Jacquelyn when Mr. Nichols is around, but to you I am Ms Johnson when he is not around. You and everyone else will show me the proper respect."

What David did not tell her was that if he gave her the respect she deserved it would be an obscene gesture. Ms Johnson was the most unpleasant person David knew. That included a few people who were down right scary. They however, were not in Ms Johnson's league for rude, mean spirited, and just plain disrespectful behavior. David felt pity for the staff of the plant she was taking over.

Addie Hall, Rufus' administrative assistant looked up smiling as she asked, "May I help you Mr. Reed?"

"Yes, please let Mr. Farley know I am here to see him."

"Yes I'll do that," she said hiding a further smile. She had only known Mr. Reed for a short time and was still surprised how polite he was, especially considering he was a manager. She thought, He is nothing like Ms Johnson. Ms Johnson acts as though subordinates like me are no better than the vermin. The change is nice, but it will take me some time to adjust.

Speaking into the PC on her desk, Addie announced David to Rufus. Rufus immediately said, "Send him in."

Addie turned to David. "Go right in he's expecting you."

As David entered, Rufus Farley came around the corner of his desk extending his hand. "Good afternoon Mr. Reed. Welcome to my office." Rufus gestured toward a conversation area in the inside corner of the office. "Please have a seat."

The area consisted of four comfortable chairs, a low table in the center of the grouping, and two side tables. The position of the side tables allowed everyone access to one of them. This gave everyone a place to set their coffee or a small plate.

Shaking Rufus' hand David said, "I would prefer you call me David. If you do not mind, I would like to call you Rufus. We're going to spend a lot of time together, so we might as well be comfortable with each other."

Looking just a bit surprised Rufus said, "Alright David, if that's what you want."

"I take it that Tom never extended his policy of managers calling each other by their first names to you."

"I didn't even know Mr. Nichols had a policy like that," responded Rufus.

With more than a hint of irony David replied, "Why am I not surprised?" Then he went on, "From now on, you and I will be on a first name basis. Have you eaten lunch yet Rufus?"

"No, I was waiting to see if you wanted to eat with me. Are you ready for lunch now?"

"We need to spend a few minutes talking before we go to lunch. I need to say some things and I do not want anyone overhearing us. First, I pulled your personnel file, and it is obvious to me you should be the new assistant plant manager. There is nothing I can do about it now, but maybe in the future I can.

"Second, I was general operations manager at the Red River Plant for four years, and I was a shop foreman for three years before that. During that time, I discovered that my management style is more informal than what either Ms Johnson or Mr. Nichols use. Unless Tom stops me, most of the employees here will be using my first name. The respect I crave is in their minds not in how they address me. All you need to do is listen to how most people say Ms Johnson's name to see what I am talking about.

"Third, tell me about the cafeteria manager. I am curious what her problem is, especially as she now works directly for me. Before you start, I will give you an iron clad guarantee that I will not use anything you say to hurt her. Two years from now I will not need to say that, however with Ms Johnson's track record I have several fences to mend."

Rufus looked at David and pondered exactly how much to tell him. The one thing he knew was that several of the Martian employees seemed to think David was very different from the other Earthlings at the plant. The main one saying this was Marilyn Kinney. However, after working for Ms Johnson the last five years, anyone else would look like a saint. Rufus had spent most of Tuesday afternoon in meetings with David. The man seemed to just listen and let you talk. When Ms Johnson did not interrupt him, he had some very interesting questions.

"Let me give you the short version about Ronda Walker," began Rufus. "She is thirty-two years old. Both of her parents worked in food service, so Ronda used her training money to study food service. She has good organizational skills, but no sense of taste. When I say that I mean it literally, she can't tell the difference between the taste of cream cheese and tomato soup."

"Ronda discovered this during the blind taste test portion of her training. She was already half way through culinary school when she found out about her problem. With no way to pay for training in another field, she finished the school. Four years ago, Mr. Nichols hired her away from a cafeteria at another Alexander Industries plant. There is no one with a better sense of budgeting and cost control. Within two weeks, everyone who eats in the cafeteria knew why it was so easy to convince the other plant to allow her to transfer. Thomas Nichols does not like to admit he is wrong about anything. Ms Johnson always brought her lunch so she did not care."

"Well at least that explains the taste of the food."

"Ronda is a member of the MPG. In the MPG, she works in procurement and is very well respected. If she losses her job at Alexander Industries they will throw her out of the MPG."

"Alright," said David, "stop right there. Why would they throw her out of the Martian Planetary Guard if she loses her job here?"

"Part of the legislation which established the MPG requires that all MPG members be employed. If you lose your job you can not serve in the MPG."

"That leaves me with another question," David said with a sigh. "How do we obtain a copy of Ronda's last three MPG annual evaluations?"

Rufus looked straight at David without a clue as to why that was relevant to their discussion. He decided to test David and asked. "Why do we need to know her MPG evaluations? If you fire her she will be out of the MPG anyway."

"Hold on just a minute. I never said anything about firing Ronda. The way I see it, she is a square peg in a round hole. This plant has a good sized purchasing department whose manager works directly for me, just like Ronda. If her work in MPG procurement is as good as you say, then we are wasting a good person in the wrong job. We are also giving almost everybody here indigestion."

After a brief chuckle David continued. "I want to see her MPG evaluations. If the evaluations are as good as you think they are, I need to find a way to convince her to transfer to the purchasing department. I should be able to convince Tom to agree, as it will allow him to save face if she requests the transfer."

Apparently changing the subject David said. "Now, tell me about Robert Allen Trump the Third." Robert Allen Trump III was the current manager of the purchasing department. He and David had only met once. Robert, however, reported directly to David and that made him David's problem. David's initial impression was that Robert was a conceited, arrogant, spoiled brat. David knew he needed to find a way to change the man's attitude before it hurt Robert's career.

His eyes narrowing in suspicion, Rufus replied. "Robert Allen Trump III as you know, is the purchasing department manager. His grandfather worked for Alexander Industries and his father is a Division Manager for Alexander Industries back on Earth. The Third was raised and educated on Earth. This is his first job after college, and he has been here two years. Everyone anticipates him to become an assistant plant manager in another year."

Thoughtfully, David inquired. "How does The Third feel about his time on Mars? I want a straight answer, not what you think I want to hear. If you start, pulling your punches and lying to me our relationship will not work. Now, keeping all that in mind answer my question."

This was not what Rufus expected at all. He was planning on giving some sort of song and dance until he figured out what answer David wanted. This request for honesty combined with the warning threw him off his stride. This man definitely was not Ms Johnson. She only asked questions when she knew the answer she wanted to hear. She always worded her questions so you could tell what answer she wanted.

Rufus rethought his answer before starting. "Robert Allen Trump III feels that greenies," Rufus saw David's expression cloud, "are the scum of the solar system. He complains that his father sent him to Mars to get him out of the way. If I was The Third's father, I know I would send him as far from me as possible. For the last year, he has put in for any Alexander Industries' job that takes him back to Earth. Is that what you wanted to know?"

Looking Rufus straight in the eyes, David said with a smile in his voice. "Well, we need to help anyone who wants to get away from Martians that badly." More soberly he continued, "I need to send a quick email. While I am doing that, you contact MPG personnel and find out how I obtain a copy of Ronda's last three evaluations."

Without even waiting to see if Rufus was doing what he asked, David opened his PC. "Access Robert Allen Trump the Third's last evaluation." When, it came up, David quickly scanned it and smiled. The evaluation was all fours and fives. Alexander Industries evaluated employees on six factors, rating performance in each area from a low of one to a maximum of five.

David spoke to his PC again, "Message for Michael Dalrimple, Red River Ammunition Plant. Mr. Dalrimple, is Marcus Taylor still planning to retire from his job as Purchasing Manager at the end of June? If he is, I have a very good replacement. Robert Allen Trump III is overdue for rotation back to Earth. Attached is his last evaluation. After reviewing his evaluation, contact me. I think he would be a real asset to the Red River plant and it would be a good move for Robert. Computer, attach a copy of Robert Allen Trump III's last evaluation and send the email. Michael Dalrimple's business email address is in the address book."

The computer responded, "Email sent."

Turning back to Rufus, David enquired, "Did you find out who I need to talk to at MPG personnel?"

"Yes. You need to contact Major Tilden. I am sending her PC's ID Number to your PC now."

"Thank you Rufus," replied David. "If you can wait about two more minutes for lunch I would like to contact Major Tilden and start the ball rolling." Rufus nodded agreement.

A minute later David was trying to convince Major Tilden that she should release copies of Ronda Walker's MPG evaluations. David finally convinced her, when he explained that Alexander Industries was considering moving Ronda into the purchasing department at the plant. With the MPG evaluations, the company could see how Ronda handled a similar position in the MPG.

David explained Ronda's current job with Alexander Industries was managing the company cafeteria. David carefully avoided mentioning that he was doing this to improve the quality of the food. What Major Tilden did not tell David was she knew Ronda Walker. Ronda told the Major several times that she hated the job in the cafeteria and wanted to move into the purchasing department. Finally, Major Tilden emailed David Ronda's last three fitness reports. After breaking the link, Major Tilden wondered if Ronda even knew she was under consideration for a new position.

After David broke the link to Major Tilden, he said. "Rufus now we can go to lunch. I should hear something back from Mr. Dalrimple in about two hours. Knowing him, he will check out The Third very carefully to make sure I'm not unloading a problem on him. There is nothing in his past that could cause a problem is there?"

"Other than the fact he hates greenies. I do not know of any problems." Rufus replied.

With a very stern look on his face, David stared at Rufus. Rufus thought, All right, what did I do now? It did not take long to find out. David almost snarled. "I do not want to hear the word greenies out of your mouth again unless you are directly quoting someone else. Do I make my self perfectly clear?"

Shocked and surprised by this reaction, Rufus couldn't believe his ears. After all, David was an Earthling. They invented the term greenies. Normally Rufus used the term, greenies, in an attempt to make Earthlings forget he was a third generation Martian. With a completely flat tone Rufus said, "Yes, your request is perfectly clear."

With that, the two of them stood up and headed for lunch. Rufus made a mental note to talk to Marilyn Kinney and ask her about David Reed.


Alexander Industries New Pittsburgh Ammunition Plant, Mars

Friday, April 20, 2136, 2:07 pm

David was sitting at his desk in the assistant plant manager's office trying to work on some of the mountain of reports he needed to complete. It seemed that Ms Johnson stopped working on new reports sometime the previous week. Given her other wonderful qualities, David was surprised she did not stop the day he left Earth orbit.

David's PC beeped announcing an incoming message. David was hoping that it was his apartment locator service informing him that they had found an apartment for him. Looking at the screen he saw that the message was from Mr. Dalrimple, the Red River Plant Manager. Hopefully, this meant that David was about to make Robert Allen Trump III a very happy man. If that happened then David would recommend moving Ronda Walker, and make David a happy man. David told his PC, "Open Message."

Michael Dalrimple's face appeared on the screen. "David, I reviewed the evaluation you sent me. I also did a little checking on Robert Allen Trump III. He does seem like a good candidate to replace Marcus Taylor as purchasing manager. Somehow, I suspect it's the fact you don't like to play office politics that led you to make this generous offer. Based on his family history, Robert will be a Division Manager before you are a plant manager.

"If you accidentally antagonized him during the next two or three years, it would not be good for your career. In fact you probably would never make Division Manager. I fully expect you to make Division Manager within the next ten years if you don't step on the wrong toes. Please let Robert know that he will be receiving official notification of the transfer on Monday."

Continuing he added, "David, please keep in touch. I want to know how things are going in your new job. I was serious when I said I want you to take over as plant manager here when I retire. Best of luck to you David." With that, the screen blinked off.

Listening to the message, David realized Mr. Dalrimple really believed working as an assistant plant manager on Mars would enhance David's career. Realizing this gave David a warm feeling. It was nice knowing his old boss thought the move would help David's career.

David looked at the clock on his PC screen: it read 2:11 pm. David knew that Ronda Walker finished her shift at three. With a day that usually started at 6:00 am, that meant she worked at least nine hours every day. David called her PC and waited for the response. Ronda's face appeared on the screen as she said. "Yes Mr. Reed may I help you?"

"Yes Ronda you can. First, please start by calling me David. Second, could you clear about ten minutes for me around 2:30? I want to stop by to talk with you. I know you want to start your weekend, but I think you will find this worth staying a few extra minutes."

With a look on her face that clearly said, 'Oh all right.' She said, "I would be happy to stay a few extra minutes to talk with you."

"Thank you Ronda. I will stop by your office as soon as I can."

Closing that call David called the PC of Robert Allen Trump III. When Robert's face appeared on the screen David said. "Robert I would like to stop by your office in a couple of minutes if that is alright. I have some good news for you, and would like to deliver it in person."

Robert immediately responded, "I am free right now David. Please stop by any time it's convenient for you."

"Good. I'm leaving for your office now."

Five minutes later David walked into The Third's office. Robert rose behind his desk and extended his hand. This new manager was getting on his nerves. Robert felt that all managers should address each other as Mr. or Ms, not by their first name. Mr. Reed kept insisting that everyone call him David. Well if that was what it took to make him happy, then he would call him David. Someday David would work for him, and he was sure that although Robert might still call him David. David would be calling him Mr. Trump.

After shaking Robert's hand David sat down without asking. There were some privileges of being assistant plant manager that David intended to take advantage of. That especially included the right to sit down in a subordinate's office without an invitation. Coming straight to the point, David said. "Robert, it has come to my attention that you, like all of us from Earth would like to leave Mars as quickly as possible. Knowing that, I talked to my former boss Michael Dalrimple. The purchasing manager at the Red River Ammunition Plant retires June 30th. I took the liberty of recommending you for the position. Mr. Dalrimple just sent me a message saying that Monday you will receive official notification that the position is yours if you want it."

The grin that broke out on Robert's face was like a desert sunrise; absolutely blinding. Robert barely managed to choke out "Thank you David. You do not know what this means to me." Suddenly, Robert decided that anyone who did something this nice for him without even being asked could call him Robert no matter how high Robert climbed the company ladder.

Looking at Robert, David said. "I take it that you approve of my putting you in for the job without consulting you?"

"Yes. I cannot thank you enough for this. I just want to go as far from these greenies as I possibly can."

David's smile never changed as he replied. "I can understand why you feel that way, Robert. If you will excuse me, I have a meeting starting at 2:30. Come see Marilyn, my administrative assistant on Monday when you have your official orders. She will help you with all of your travel plans."

David left Robert's office thinking. If that is how he acts all the time no wonder, he has problems in his department. Someday he will be as bad as Ms Johnson. I just hope Mr. Dalrimple can change him before it is too late.

Looking at his PC David noticed it was 2:35 PM when he entered Ronda's office in the back of the cafeteria. She stood up, moved around her desk, and extended her hand. The smile on her face was obviously phony. David reflected that at least it was not a scowl.

Holding onto her fake smile, Ronda greeted David. "Hello Mr. Reed, I mean David. What brings you to my office on a Friday afternoon?"

Looking her square in the eye David deadpanned. "Ronda it's your sunny disposition and excellent cooking."

Ronda's expression turned from a fake smile into a look of strong suspicion. "Alright David, you know, and I know, that my cooking is not all that good. What exactly do you want? I know you are not happy with the food I serve. Are you planning on firing me?"

"Actually, Ronda I came to make you an offer. I just came from telling Robert Allen Trump III that he is moving to the Red River plant on Earth as soon as possible. I understand that you work in procurement for the MPG. I also know you cannot taste food. I looked at your MPG fitness reports and want to ask you to apply for the purchasing manager's position."

David noticed at least three different emotions warring on Ronda's face as he continued. "I want the request to come from you. If Mr. Nichols receives the request from you, he will not think I am trying to force you out. In fact, I am trying to force you out. Ronda, looking at those fitness reports you will be an outstanding purchasing manager. As a cook, you are a disaster. If you want a manager who will whisper sweet nothings in your ear, you need to find a new manager. If you want the truth, and the chance to do something you are good at, then I am the manager you want to work for."

Still in shock, Ronda asked. "Doesn't the purchasing manager also report directly to you?"

"Yes she does. I do not like losing good people. I also do not like to see good people in the wrong job. This gives me a chance to solve both problems at once. Do you want the purchasing manager's job?"

It was only after David's last question that Ronda realized David said 'yes she does, not yes he does'. Was he trying to tell her that the job was hers to refuse? Ronda had already heard some strange rumors about this Earthling's management style. This however was totally outside the rules, as she understood them. Management jobs only went to Martians if there was no Earthling available to fill the job. It sounded like no one but David and The Third knew the job was available.

Totally confused, Ronda looked David right in the eyes. "If I understand you correctly, you are telling me that the purchasing manager job is mine to refuse? If I want the job and request it, you will guarantee me the position. Because Mr. Nichols hired me for this job, you want me to request the purchasing manager's job. Is that what you are saying?"

"Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. If you request the purchasing manager's job it is yours."

Looking right at David, Ronda asked the question she was almost afraid to ask. "This is all fine, but what do I have to do for you if I request this job? What is it going to cost me?"

Slightly puzzled David responded, "Ronda what you need to do is perform the purchasing manager job as competently as you perform for MPG procurement. If you think there is anything else, involved you are very wrong. I offer jobs based on performance. I do not provide them in response to favors. If you ever want to do something nice for me, let me know and I will decide if it violates my personal ethics."

In school, Ronda read a book about a girl who fell down a hole and her whole world turned upside down. Ronda was beginning to feel like she had just fallen into that hole. The one thing she did know was she enjoyed working in MPG procurement. "You will have my application for the purchasing manager job on your PC Monday morning." After a long pause she continued. "Please forgive me. I wanted the purchasing manager job for so long. You are right; I have no sense of taste. For that reason, I hate my job. When you walked in here I thought you were about to chew me out about the food."

Chuckling David said, "Ronda if you could taste it, you would agree that the food tastes awful." He continued, "I find chewing people out is only useful when they are not performing up to their potential. You do a good job at everything you are capable of, such as budgeting and managing the cafeteria staff. I just needed to find a job for you where your sense of taste is not a handicap. Trust me when I say that I know more about square pegs in round holes than you can imagine."

The look on Ronda's face was still one of confusion. "You are not playing with my mind? You aren't going to give some Earthling first choice on this job? I really will be the purchasing manager when The Third leaves?" With that, Ronda sank into one of the two chairs in front of her desk.

David looked at her. He was beginning to think this might not be such a good idea. Obviously, Ronda was not handling the situation well at all. Taking her elbow and helping her up David said. "Ronda, is there anything that will not wait until Monday?" After she shook her head no, he finished. "I want you to go home now. Come back Monday and we will talk then." With that, David started guiding her to the door.

"PC contact Marilyn Kinney."

Almost immediately, Marilyn was on the PC screen. "Yes David what can I do for you?"

"Meet me in the cafeteria. Before you do, pack to go home."

"I will be there in about five minutes."

Walking into the cafeteria Marilyn saw David standing next to Ronda. He was holding her elbow and she looked dazed and confused. "What happened to Ronda?"

David responded, "It is a long story. The short version is I offered her a new job and she is not taking it very well. Marilyn will you please help Ronda home? I'm not sure she can do it on her own right now."

Not sure, what David was up to Marilyn immediately agreed to take Ronda home. Once they arrived at Ronda's apartment Marilyn intended to get a better version of the story. Marilyn knew the food in the cafeteria was not very good. She also discovered David loved good food more than anything else. Had he told Ronda he was transferring her to the janitorial staff? Marilyn thought David was better than Ms Johnson, but now in a matter of minutes he had reduced Ronda to this. What kind of monster was she working for this time?

Back at his temporary apartment, David decided it was time to party. On the train home, the apartment locator David contracted with called. The apartment locator, Mike Samuels, wanted him to look at a 215 square meter apartment in the Lancaster Building on Saturday. Mike explained that this was in the Highland Park District. The way he described it, most of the people living there were middle managers for major corporations. Mike did elaborate that most of the residents were from Earth, although there were a few Martians in the building.

David was looking forward to seeing the apartment. He wanted to leave the Alexander Industries Building as soon as possible. With David's secrets, the last thing he wanted was Alexander Industries security looking over his shoulder all night. They already followed all his movements at the plant, just like they did every other employee.

David found a place in the Ziggurat Guide he wanted to try. The name was Dorothy's Place. They advertised it as a bar owned by friends of the family catering to the Community in New Pittsburgh. The only thing missing was one of those little pink triangles the Nazis put on homosexuals before packing them into boxcars bound for the death camps along with the Jews and Gypsies. Ever since that time, homosexuals adopted the pink triangle as their symbol. After all, over 100,000 of them bought and paid for it with their lives.

If it was not a community bar, David would be very surprised. When he looked at the advertisement, it pegged his Gaydar. The clincher was that there was no address, just a telephone number. Thursday evening David called the number for directions. Dorothy's Place was in the Monongahela District on the second floor of Bradbury Towers. Research on the internet revealed that the Monongahela District was one of the oldest districts of New Pittsburgh. The residents were mainly working class people in low end jobs. Most of them were Martians, which meant they did not care if Dorothy's Place was a bar for rump rangers.

David changed into slacks, a sports shirt that buttoned down the front, and slip-on shoes. This was David's standard hunting clothing. He would button the shirt all the way to the top until he reached the bar. In the bar, he would unbutton his shirt half way down, exposing his chest. The slip-on shoes were nice if he went home with someone. David definitely was not bringing anyone back to the Alexander Industries Building.

His PC beeped. David almost did not answer it. When he saw it was Marilyn, he decided he needed to answer. "Hello Marilyn what can I do for you?"

"David, I just wanted to call and apologize for what I was thinking about you earlier. After Ronda and I reached her apartment, she told me about your conversation today and the offer you made her. The way Ronda was acting in the cafeteria I was afraid you were forcing her to take a job cleaning the toilets. Instead, you offered her the job she dreamed about for years. After I cleared up some misconceptions she had about what you would want her to do for the purchasing manager's job, she was overjoyed. She asked if you would let her call you on your PC to apologize. Can I give her your PC's ID Number?"

"Marilyn, I am glad to hear Ronda is feeling better. Monday, after she emails me her application for the purchasing manager's position, if she still feels the need to apologize she can stop by my office. I would like to forget the plant exists until Monday so please do not give her my PC's ID Number."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.