New Wings for A Gem - Cover

New Wings for A Gem

Copyright© 2006 by mischievious she puck

Chapter 4: Claws and a Kind Word

In the distance the party could make out a shimmer that grew as they approached. As they began to land they could see too high cliffs of shale that ran up either side of the lake. Leaning in close Cole could see people on the sand bar a hundred yards out. There they had docked three crafts.

One a large canoe shaped raft, a large skiff, and a small sailboat. The people seemed to be enjoying the sun as they watched their children laugh and play. They were bare, and had ears that stood tall and erect. Their skin was that of a soft turquoise and hair of both purple and green.

They were most joyful in their manners. Dancing around without worrying about who sees their nakedness. That word didn't exist in their language. The merfolk of these waters were less evolved than those of the ocean. They still had legs and their respiratory system was that of a lungfish.

Anthros pointed over Cole's shoulder to an ideal landing site. Cole directed Ebony to the pointed location near an apple tree. There the ground was mossy and soft, easy on the feet. He started in low and began to slow down as he circled.

Suddenly the wind died and Ebony started to descend at an alarming rate. Ardeo was still playing in the clouds above and seemed to have no troubles. It's the powerful gust of wind that made matters worse. It struck him from underneath causing him to roll uncontrollably.

Anthros was thrown from Ebony and fell like a stone. They were still high up so there was a chance that Cole could snatch him up. Oh how he longed to save his friend, but when he was spinning into the opposite direction it was impossible.

Screaming as the ground drew closer and closer, Anthros prayed for a miracle. A flash of flame shot past Cole on towards the mage in distress. Ardeo opened her talons wide and grabbed hold of his upper arms, jerking him out of his fall. She veered up to evade the ground so near to splattering them both. His boots brazing the tops of the daisies that grew there.

He passed out from the adrenaline rush. Ardeo landed softly on her hind legs and laid him on the moss to sleep. Then she turned and took off again to help Cole and Ebony get down safely as well.

Flying along side them, she tried to get Ebony to catch her wind that flew under her wings. He didn't quiet get it till they were near the ground. All straightened out and balanced he regained control, but it was too late. They went head long into the ground.

Ardeo pulled Cole out of there just in time. She would have tried to save Ebony too but he was far too big. Cole ripped away from Ardeo and ran over to Ebony.

He lay there still and twisted. Cole shook his head trying to get him to wake up, but he didn't stir. He cried out loud. She sat beside him in silence hanging her head. Hugging him close he wept. Ardeo stood and slowly backed away to give him space.

She went to Anthros to check on him. He was fast asleep and unharmed. She laid beside him and watched everything around them. She stayed there like a dog would watch over his master.

One of the men from the sand bar saw the whole thing. Diving into the cool water he raced over to give whatever aid he could. Rising out of the water Ardeo noticed him and stood suddenly. Raising a line of spines along her back. She lowered her head and was ready to spring at any sign of danger.

He stopped and decided to go to Cole. Cole was still weeping over Ebony when the merman stepped up. He placed a hand on his shoulder and spoke in a very deep yet popping tone.

"Don't shed tears, stranger. There is still hope for this one. I will get my clan to help carry him."

He dashed back to the sand bar and rounded up all the men. Banking the large skiff on the main land so they could hoist the griffin's motionless body onboard.

When they were away, Cole noticed that Ebony's breathing was very shallow. He wasn't dead!

"He's alive!" Cole cheered.

Wait if he is alive I could ask him to change into something smaller. His thoughts rambled through his lips without a sound. Maybe he's too weak. No matter, Helice was right about the merfolk being kind.

They filed around him and lifted ebony high off the ground. Like slaves would carry their master, they brought him to the water's edge. There they raised the wounded animal onto the skiff. Cole following close he settled down beside him on the skiff.

Pushing at once the craft floated free over the surface of the water. Towing it forward by swimming along side the skiff. Ebony was taking up most of the raft's space, his tail and wings trailing behind them.

"Where are you taking us?" Cole was a bit confused at their eagerness to help and so quickly.

The merman who approached the first time spoke.

"We are going to Mistress Viola. Our medicine and healing magic isn't enough to save him. She can help." His face was bobbing along as he stroked the water with his webbed hands and feet.

"Where is Mistress Viola's keep?" He was very appreciative in their eagerness, but wanted to know more.

The merman smiled, but answered with silence. Cole got a little worried at his silence. They were half way across the lake when he did speak again.

Raising his chin from the cold wetness the merman spoke very clearly.

"Now you will need to make sure that he doesn't fall off when we make the pass into the mistress's hall."

Anxious to see he turned to look ahead. There before them was a large whirlpool crashing into madness. Picking up speed they were soon pulled into it's ripping currents. Pulling them down the walls of water grew taller and taller.

Cole feared that they would drown and cried out, " We can't breath as you can!" Concern in his voice. His eyes opened wide as his grip was tightened around Ebony.

"Fear not. We will breath for you."

With that two mermaids crawled up beside them. One took Cole by the hands to calm him, and the other put her hands together and drew a circle around Ebony's and her head. A bubble grew from her lips and incased around the feathery neck airtight.

"I'm Evalin, but you can call me Eve."

She was sweet and kind of cute, for a fish. Cole could see that she was blushing when she took his face in her hands. Her fingers were long and curled around the sides of his head to get lost in his think hair. She turned her head and called down to the man who was calling the shots.

"Okay Uncle Drake, we're ready." Cole watched her lush lips form the words. He felt himself blush. He can't recall a time where some one made him blush at just a simple smile.

His mind was thrown out of reality when she took him into a long kiss that was anything but shy. He could hear her thoughts through their connection.

'You need to stay calm. This is how I share my breath, and don't worry about your friend. Jadniss is taking care of him.' Cole wondered if telepathy worked both ways. He gave it a try.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.